Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Jumping pigeons Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 10:36 pm

» Good Morning
Jumping pigeons Emptyby David Today at 9:42 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Jumping pigeons Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:33 am

» York Road & District Results 2024
Jumping pigeons Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:32 am

» PR For Pigeons
Jumping pigeons Emptyby David Sun May 26, 2024 8:41 pm

» APHA Forms .......
Jumping pigeons Emptyby David Fri May 24, 2024 12:03 pm

» Young Pigeon Fanciers
Jumping pigeons Emptyby David Wed May 22, 2024 12:08 am

» King removes Patronage
Jumping pigeons Emptyby David Wed May 22, 2024 12:02 am

» come join us
Jumping pigeons Emptyby David Thu May 16, 2024 10:21 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Jumping pigeons 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 34 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 34 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Jumping pigeons Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Jumping pigeons Vote_lcapJumping pigeons Voting_barJumping pigeons Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1298 registered users
The newest registered user is Marcdvc11

Our users have posted a total of 223007 messages in 14009 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Jumping pigeons Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Jumping pigeons Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Jumping pigeons

Go down 
+3
MISTY
David
barnie
7 posters
AuthorMessage
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

Jumping pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Jumping pigeons   Jumping pigeons EmptyWed May 05, 2021 10:38 am

What do you think of jumping pigeons over 150 miles or so from previous race points. I know distance birds bred for the job handle this, or at least have the breeding to handle this, but how about yearlings maybe going from 70 miles to 220 for example?
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Jumping pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping pigeons   Jumping pigeons EmptyWed May 05, 2021 11:29 am

are you considering doing it with yours colin ......?

if so , if it was me i definately wouldnt, but i doubt very much that you would ....... No

i think even for experienced birds it would be a big ask .
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Jumping pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping pigeons   Jumping pigeons EmptyWed May 05, 2021 8:04 pm

Last year I raced.

18 yearlings never seen a basket, complete open loft.

8 sent straigt to first race, all home in good time.

Other 8 straight into the second race, all back in good time.

Well up with the local clubs.

With lung and other health problems I decided as I could not do my share at club level it was unfair, the members offered to do all the work and help me as much as possible but I felt I had had enough.

Decided as a last hurra to send 4 to the first chanel race 350miles .

Never been in a basket other than one race each.

Clocked two, still in sealed STB, one turned up a little later in the day and the other I do not know because I was too off colour to worry.

I always got as much pleasure (often more) to see the last one home.

All you need is good pigeons, good management and a lot of luck.

Actual is far better than assumption.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

Jumping pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping pigeons   Jumping pigeons EmptyWed May 05, 2021 8:18 pm

thinking of putting a few hens to one side then set them up on eggs for races @200 plus miles but they would miss the in between races coming into egg, laying and getting down sitting so would mean jumping a fair distance as they get down the road fast with being reduced season. We'll see, got bit time to decide.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Jumping pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping pigeons   Jumping pigeons EmptyWed May 05, 2021 9:10 pm

Would not worry about jumping them barnie, if they fly half as good as they look you will have no problem and at least you will sort them out.

Just think how far many wild birds fly when the less than 9 months old.

Think the only time you need a particular type of pigeon is when you get over 500 miles.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

Jumping pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping pigeons   Jumping pigeons EmptyWed May 05, 2021 9:15 pm

cheers!
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Jumping pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping pigeons   Jumping pigeons EmptyWed May 05, 2021 11:29 pm

David wrote:
are you considering doing it with yours colin ......?

if so , if it was me i definately wouldnt, but i doubt very much that you would ....... No

i think even for experienced birds it would be a big ask .
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes For myself here etc David bounce bounce it all comes down, to the faith one has in the quality of ones birds as such & your liberator on race day. If an average type pigeon cannot fly 250 odd miles of the roof with normal training Wink Wink go get better pigeons I say Very Happy Very Happy Young birds here do it on the trot & have done so for many years Wink Wink so to suggest its something yearlings would struggle with is rather complexing somewhat for/from my way of thinking here. Now sadly  Smile  Smile in some ways, we have 2 types of pigeons in our world these days I suggest, the paper pedigree types  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad & then the John Rumney clan types from up around our beloved Rays way Wink  Wink which for me are the Brave heart types from my perspective down here & the ones I most admire  Wink  Wink.  cheers
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

Jumping pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping pigeons   Jumping pigeons EmptyThu May 06, 2021 7:15 am

I personally don't like jumping birds too far and I think we at 85 is too far for first race as well . I think it should be 50 miles between races
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Jumping pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping pigeons   Jumping pigeons EmptyThu May 06, 2021 7:41 am

yes knackered i agree to a certain extent, but when you consider colins birds have only been trained as young birds, and have had only one proper race so far as yearlings.......if they were experienced racers then yes a jumpshouldnt hurt them, but even so jumping 150 miles is a tall order in my opinion cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Jumping pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping pigeons   Jumping pigeons EmptyThu May 06, 2021 9:48 am

There has never been a fancier who has all good pigeons.

The so called top fanciers with all the advantages  sell their rubbish.

Can see no sense in not sorting the wheat from the chaff as quicly as possible and you do not do that by not testing them and making things as easy as possible to get them all back.

I did at times, being as interested in showing as racing, keep some that  would never  ever win at racing, but did send them and not bothered how long they took to qualify for the flown classes, because  of looks and handling qualities.

Winning was  a bonus, but lets be honest we all like too win.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Jumping pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping pigeons   Jumping pigeons EmptyThu May 06, 2021 1:16 pm

David wrote:
yes knackered i agree to a certain extent, but when you consider colins birds have only been trained as young birds, and have had only one proper race so far as yearlings.......if they were experienced racers then yes a jumpshouldnt hurt them, but even so jumping 150 miles is a tall order in my opinion cheers

It was a time when nigh every fancier just sent youngsters to the first race. We had split the Fed in two for placing. So it was a 70 miler followed by 100 miles, repeated.
I just sent first time 140 miler to Northallerton... Like so many others.
The last few years, I did the same, as often said. But then I never tossed, and it was yearlings - never bothered with y/b racing, and any two years old not sent before.
They were nigh always in the top 6 in any race. Never out of maximum 10! Remember two fanciers- of 29 fanciers, sent nearly two hundred birds between them.

Losses off the loft meant that they didn't like my set up and hopped it.
Just lazing around endowed them with contentment and love of home, a warm and safe environment they could nip in if needs be.
They wanted to be there! Yes granted an open loft!
Youngsters ranging go 60 or more miles around. Only fit and healthy, conditioned pigeons win races Mostly/ normally. Training if cooped up, or for Fanciers views on their well being takes a front seat so to say.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Jumping pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping pigeons   Jumping pigeons EmptyThu May 06, 2021 4:52 pm

i would view every pigeon as an individual for the jump for starters,wind and conditions would be a factor to ,always did jump a few but never the team just the ones i really fancied for it ,then mind you never ever had a big team to start with through choice of course ,atb
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Jumping pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping pigeons   Jumping pigeons EmptyFri May 07, 2021 12:32 am

peel bros wrote:
I personally don't like jumping birds too far and I think we at 85 is too far for first race as well . I think it should be 50 miles between races
Your maybe too kind etc Ray Very Happy Very Happy treat them like boys Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes & they will act like boys in most cases I say  Wink  Wink A couple of weeks down here bounce bounce every year we have a race from the south across Bass Strait (240 odd miles) & also a come back 300 mile race on line up north which ever that line may be here for the year & most that fly them, being young birds then go on to fly in our 5 & 600 mile races in the following few weeks. I know many facets of our sport these days can fit into the Rome scenario package, but just wish somehow  Smile  Smile some would allow at times  Wink  Wink boys show they can do a mans type job if given half a chance on race day as such if made of the right stuff  Smile  Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Jumping pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jumping pigeons   Jumping pigeons Empty

Back to top Go down

Jumping pigeons
Page 1 of 1