Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
breaking in birds - Page 2 Emptyby David Yesterday at 6:18 pm

» escaped birds return
breaking in birds - Page 2 Emptyby David Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» Weather today
breaking in birds - Page 2 Emptyby David Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
breaking in birds - Page 2 Emptyby David Yesterday at 12:01 pm

» good luck weekend
breaking in birds - Page 2 Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 2:24 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
breaking in birds - Page 2 Emptyby Knackered Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 pm

» Scandalous .......
breaking in birds - Page 2 Emptyby Knackered Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
breaking in birds - Page 2 Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
breaking in birds - Page 2 Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:41 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) breaking in birds - Page 2 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 104 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 104 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.breaking in birds - Page 2 Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
breaking in birds - Page 2 Vote_lcapbreaking in birds - Page 2 Voting_barbreaking in birds - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
breaking in birds - Page 2 Vote_lcapbreaking in birds - Page 2 Voting_barbreaking in birds - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
Knackered
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222655 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
breaking in birds - Page 2 Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
breaking in birds - Page 2 Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

breaking in birds

Go down 
+6
SGWBrown
alexhe
Don Webb
David
Rudderfett
notykinlofts
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

breaking in birds - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 10:07 pm

thats right don, its so easy to loose sight of things when your just starting again with pigeons.........i bought 6 birds and before i knew it i ended up with 50 lol! now i need to get rid of half of them but if i had more control of my management at the beggining it wouldnt have come to this........ No
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 10:11 pm

We have all made the same mistake and we won't be the last lol!
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 10:14 pm

going to be hard deciding who goes and who stays............... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
SGWBrown
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 10:17 pm

Thanks David and Don. I'm really struck by the generosity of pigeon folk, both in terms of kind offers for birds as well as great advice and encouragement - I hope I'm able to live up to the examples set by the great people I've met either in the flesh or like yourselves over t'internet.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 10:24 pm

steve, without the help and advise ive had from our members on here i wouldnt have joined a club and had a few races........as things have changed dramatically since i last raced everything is new to me now....for example darkness for ybs, roundabout and all the different corns and suppliments that wernt around 20 years ago.......the competition is stiffer now and there has to be a more professional approach to pigeon racing if you want to do well, but you can still enjoy it and be happy when your birds get home weather they win or not.......... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 10:29 pm

This is what the site is for Steve, we are all here to help mate
Back to top Go down
alexhe
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 11:49 pm

Thank you David, pic from internet shows how to cut the end flights( not cut all the wings, keep some parts incluld a bit of topt and the last two sides of end flights) Basketball

breaking in birds - Page 2 Step_111
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 12:37 am

mmmm, looks very strange done like this..........wonder if this is the same as martyn suggested ?
Back to top Go down
steve1952
Youngbird
Youngbird
steve1952

PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 4:56 am

SGWBrown wrote:
Hi Feral, thankyou that's a very tempting and much appreciated offer and one I would love to accept, however, I'm trying to limit myself to only a couple of birds initially so that I can learn to look after them properly (I'm really fighting the desire to have more), so will respectfully decline your offer at the moment; David has generously given me another pair of youngsters which, once I have proven to myself I can look after and keep happy, I will be looking to establish a racing team. I would be very grateful if when (hopefully) I get to that stage I might take you up on your offer (subject to availability etc).

Regards
good idea mate but best would be 4 y/bs hopefully you will have 2pr to breed off next year, only having 2 if theyre nest mates you cant breed off them, the 4 could be flying out stock birds
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 7:55 pm

shame i didnt have any more for you steve, you could have had a little team flying around..... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 9:11 pm

Hi DAVID, those pics are interesting I think a bit drastic, I just cut the last 4 or five off completely, and nor strip them like that but its a good idea. If you look close they have done similar to me as they have gone only as far as the moulting feather. I just wait longer until they have dropped up to 3 or 4 from the end, this way as soon as they moult further they get some flight back and gradually they all moult out and they are back to normal.
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 8:50 am

I always cut them never do what was shown, but everyone to there own
what ever works best for you
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 1:32 pm

if im honest, i dont really like the look of this method............id prefer to cut accross the end flights as i think it would be better for the bird. Wink
Back to top Go down
alexhe
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 4:59 pm

it seems like that it isn't a good method then, is it? lol!
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 5:48 pm

But if you cut the flights only cut one wing because if you cut both the pigeons can still get up on what they call a short wing and this is something to do with balance

The only reason i say this is because i did the same and a van loon cock i brought went back to it's owner who told me only to cut the one wing and not both

And for Ian the fancier was Mr E C Carter from wednesbury who was a top flyer who passed away last year
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 7:17 pm

yes, can understand what your saying don......balance would be a major factor with birds flight i should think, i was just not too sure about the method in the photo altho each person does what they think is best.....as ive tried soaping a yb and it worked for me it doesnt seem like many others are too fond of this method and prefer other ways...... Razz Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 7:44 pm

As we have said before what ever works you mate
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 7:40 am

i also cut them down the quill as the photo shows dont like seeing them cut across
Back to top Go down
Feral's-Loft
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 1:31 pm

ian wrote:
i also cut them down the quill as the photo shows dont like seeing them cut across

clown
Back to top Go down
notykinlofts
Hatchling
Hatchling
notykinlofts

PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 8:15 pm

alexhe wrote:
Thank you David, pic from internet shows how to cut the end flights( not cut all the wings, keep some parts incluld a bit of topt and the last two sides of end flights) Basketball

breaking in birds - Page 2 Step_111

this methode is ok for droppers as the feathers dont grow back to fast unless you pull them out when moulting my friend in yorkshire uses this for his droppers becouse of that reason
Back to top Go down
http://marks-white-dove-release.co.uk
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 9:06 pm

i think its better for the bird to just cut accross the end flights, maybe on just one wing like don suggests.................... scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

breaking in birds
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2