Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
breaking in birds Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:35 am

» Scandalous .......
breaking in birds Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
breaking in birds Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
breaking in birds Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
breaking in birds Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:25 pm

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
breaking in birds Emptyby David Yesterday at 12:38 pm

» Good Morning
breaking in birds Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 11:19 am

» Morgan's new job
breaking in birds Emptyby Knackered Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:43 pm

» Another find
breaking in birds Emptyby David Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:14 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) breaking in birds 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 108 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 108 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.breaking in birds Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
breaking in birds Vote_lcapbreaking in birds Voting_barbreaking in birds Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
breaking in birds Vote_lcapbreaking in birds Voting_barbreaking in birds Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222577 messages in 14000 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
breaking in birds Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
breaking in birds Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

breaking in birds

Go down 
+6
SGWBrown
alexhe
Don Webb
David
Rudderfett
notykinlofts
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
notykinlofts
Hatchling
Hatchling
notykinlofts

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: breaking in birds   breaking in birds EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 7:58 pm

i got some ybs that i brought with me from yorkshire i had flown them out and they had one training toss there,i now want to break them in i was thinking of banning the wings for a bit and sitting them out on the loft,somone told me to put a aviry uo for the winter and let them fly around in that,i will have a mesure up tomorrow but i dont think my wife would be happy with that as our garden is not half as big as the one in yorkshire and the loft has taken a lot of the garden as it is lol,
Back to top Go down
http://marks-white-dove-release.co.uk
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 8:51 pm

Very Happy What I have done in the past with excellent results is this time of year when they are moulting, wait until they are 3 flights from the end and then cut the last 3 off short. The birds can hardly fly at all, and if they do its just short bursts and no height. Leave them in the loft say 2 days after you cut them this way they know they cant fly. Then put them out on the loft after you let yours out and they have already flown, that way your birds are on the loft and not flying off every 2 minutes, even put a bath out so all yours are in it first.
I find the birds will not attempt to fly and after a few days of this they know where they are. Eventually over the next few weeks they moult out the cut flights one by one and no harm done, as the cut ones were coming out anyway..job done. I have never lost a bird this way and have even broke stock birds. If they dont go in and its getting late simply catch them they wont fly far and some dont even bother getting away. cheers
Back to top Go down
notykinlofts
Hatchling
Hatchling
notykinlofts

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 10:01 pm

i not got any other birds flying out mate i just moved here.the ones i want to break in are the ybs i had in yorkshire.but i see what you are saying and i think i will do that thanks mate.

mark
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 10:13 pm

good advise their martyn.................. cheers
Back to top Go down
notykinlofts
Hatchling
Hatchling
notykinlofts

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 5:03 pm

yeah dave sure is and thats what i going to do
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 10:57 pm

Very Happy again I only give advice about things I have tried, and this is one I have tried with excellent results, and this time of year it can be done so easy. I would not go for other methods like soaping the wings up as this will dryout and they will eventually get airborne. This way they are not able to fly for a few weeks by which time the flights have moulted out and they gradually get flying stronger. But you must make sure they are in the loft for a few days first, and realise they cant just take off and fly.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 11:01 pm

ive used the soaping of wings in the past martyn and its worked ok, but i do like the sound of this method of yours.......plus as you say, its the ideal time of year to do it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 12:10 am

The only thing i would say if you cut the pigeons down (or as we say put them on a short wing) only cut one wing because if you cut both of them when they grow new feathers they can get up an a half full wing it is always best to cut the one wing and this stops as they have not got the balance needed to fly
Back to top Go down
alexhe
Chipping
Chipping

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 8:23 pm

another way that you can use string to tie up wings(only the flights) till they know their new home, one adcantange is you can take off the sting from their wings whenever you want, also never hurt their feather. someone told me that is a good way,you can try it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 4:38 pm

have heard of an elastic band round the wings, dont know if it would work tho or come off............ scratch
Back to top Go down
notykinlofts
Hatchling
Hatchling
notykinlofts

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 8:16 pm

i put bands on the wing before a bird decided to try and flap its wings as they do and the bands came of and up and away it went lol
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 8:20 pm

as i have said before, i have soaped the wings of ybs but the best method ive heard is martyns by cutting the ebd flights.......... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SGWBrown
Hatchling
Hatchling

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 9:51 pm

As a newbie I was keen to find a way of settling the two birds kindly given to me by David; I spoke to many fanciers and there seemed to be universal agreement that the soaping method would be best as it was temporary and that after all all I needed was to let the two young birds out to walk around the garden to survey their new surroundings and afetr that they'd soon be ready to let fly free.

So after 2 weeks in my new loft, full of excitement at soon being able to let my birds fly free (I only had the two) I began to soap the wings, rubbing Fairy Liquid onto the 4 outermost primaries on my first youngster (still a squeeker). With great expectation I let her go expecting her to flutter to the floor which she did but then almost immediately managed to get onto a low fence and from there to a low extention roof. What do I do now I thought scratch I wasn't expecting that affraid

I decided to carry on with the second bird in the hope it would entice its loft mate down from the roof, but this time to soap virtually all the primaries - this worked a treat, but alas the first bird went to an even higher roof.

The second bird was having a rare old time though pecking around the garden - it was a nice sunny day and it seemed very happy. Imagine my horror when after about an hour and a half the first bird took off which startled the second which tried to take off too. The first bird was now strong on the wing; the second had made it onto the extention roof. I never saw the first bird again and when about 15 minutes later the second also took off it didn't even look back as it flew off straight as an arrow into the distance - I was/am devistated Sad it was horrrible ringing David (who had been regularly staying in touch to offer support and advice) to tell him what happened.

From the above disaster I've learnt a lot about 'soaping', amongst which is you soak the wing in soapy water thoroughly wetting it - don't just rub neat Fairy Liquid onto the feathers and that there is a time limit they can be out and about for i.e. don't let the wing dry out as the birds can the fly!!! Obvious really, now I think about it. But a third thing I learnt was that David is a very generous Gent who thankfully, despite my schoolboy errors is letting me have another pair - David I promise you I won't be so stupid again clown
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 10:32 pm

Steve sorry to hear what has happened but it is all apart of trial and error, but things can get better mate
Back to top Go down
SGWBrown
Hatchling
Hatchling

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 10:42 pm

Cheers Don, that was pretty much Davids response too (thankfully), the irony is I currently have a stray hen that was handed to me 4 days ago flown out (reported to owner and awaiting response), I've fed, watered and rested it then released it - it goes straight back into the loft lol!
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 11:42 pm

That sometimes happens, more than likely you have looked after her better than her owner lol!
Back to top Go down
Feral's-Loft
Chipping
Chipping

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 1:00 pm

i got some you can ave mate off my reds if you want them eh
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 1:14 pm

hi steve, these two new ybs you will be getting should be easier to settle this time, as they will be straight out of the nest therefor unable to get up in the air and fly.......what you will need to do is to just open your loft door and let them have a look around your garden etc, just do this for a short time each day so by the time they are stronger on the wing they will have had a good look round and maybe even have had a peck around the grass etc........

its always very hard for any fancier to settle yb which are very strong on the wing as these were espesially when you had no other settled birds to keep them around home, i had the same problem when i first started the other year........i also think its easier if you had a few ybs as well instead of just two, but you shouldnt have much trouble this time with these younger birds............ Very Happy
Back to top Go down
phil411
Youngbird
Youngbird
phil411

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 3:16 pm

so would this work on a old bird too just i have had it in aviry since may ....
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 3:36 pm

phil411 wrote:
so would this work on a old bird too just i have had it in aviry since may ....

hi phil, for an older bird i would do as martyn suggests and cut the end flights.......
Back to top Go down
alexhe
Chipping
Chipping

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 7:45 pm

I found some pics show how to cut end flights to stop birds fly, don't know how to upload pics on the form(actually I tried many times press the *Host an imagine* button to upload pics, but it can't work) Sleep
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 8:13 pm

alexhe wrote:
I found some pics show how to cut end flights to stop birds fly, don't know how to upload pics on the form(actually I tried many times press the *Host an imagine* button to upload pics, but it can't work) Sleep

hi a;ex, if you look to your right....down the side of the site you will see where it says upload image, in the Affiliates box.....click here and it takes you to a site and you click on browse and it browses pictures on your computer, simple load the pic you want then copy and paste onto our site.

hope this helps, any problems let me know. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SGWBrown
Hatchling
Hatchling

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 8:30 pm

Hi Feral, thankyou that's a very tempting and much appreciated offer and one I would love to accept, however, I'm trying to limit myself to only a couple of birds initially so that I can learn to look after them properly (I'm really fighting the desire to have more), so will respectfully decline your offer at the moment; David has generously given me another pair of youngsters which, once I have proven to myself I can look after and keep happy, I will be looking to establish a racing team. I would be very grateful if when (hopefully) I get to that stage I might take you up on your offer (subject to availability etc).

Regards
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 9:12 pm

best way steve, altho its a kind offer from feral you are right in what you are planning on doing ...... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 9:57 pm

That is fair Steve just one step at a time mate
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

breaking in birds Empty
PostSubject: Re: breaking in birds   breaking in birds Empty

Back to top Go down

breaking in birds
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next