Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
First training toss Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 8:02 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
First training toss Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 3:34 pm

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
First training toss Emptyby David Today at 12:38 pm

» Good Morning
First training toss Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 11:19 am

» Scandalous .......
First training toss Emptyby David Today at 9:41 am

» Morgan's new job
First training toss Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:43 pm

» Another find
First training toss Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» birds on loan
First training toss Emptyby oldstrain Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Garlic .......
First training toss Emptyby Knackered Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:07 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) First training toss 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 95 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 95 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.First training toss Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
First training toss Vote_lcapFirst training toss Voting_barFirst training toss Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
First training toss Vote_lcapFirst training toss Voting_barFirst training toss Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222569 messages in 13998 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
First training toss Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
First training toss Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

First training toss

Go down 
+4
David
peel bros
wraggy
Rudderfett
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

First training toss Empty
PostSubject: First training toss   First training toss EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 12:33 pm

Today our club had our official first training toss, about 13 miles, I am driving the van and keeping a video diary of the training because of the perigrine problem.
And I have to say it didnt disapoint, after about 1 minute after lib The Perigrine arrived and chaised them all over the sky, smashing into them serval times before along came number 2 and also had a go. Cant say for sure if they took ant I didnt see them actually hit but it was at a fair distance as the birds had gained hieght, I tried to video it all but it was difficult as I lost them on the screan quite a bit so will watch it back tonight and see If tis worth posting the video.
ARENT YOU GLAD YOU DONT LIVE IN WALES>????
Back to top Go down
wraggy
Hatchling
Hatchling
wraggy

PostSubject: Re: First training toss   First training toss EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 12:51 pm

do u no bret jones from wales mate and im glad i dont liv ther mate if thats wot happens
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: First training toss   First training toss EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 6:36 pm

must admit i could,nt take losing birds nearly every day like you lot do, it is heartbreaking considering how much work goes into pigeons for them just to be taken so easily
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: First training toss   First training toss EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 9:25 pm

true ray, i dont know how some fanciers cope with the losses..........altho every week we read about it in the pigeon mags that fanciers are having to pack in because of it......
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: First training toss   First training toss EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 9:31 pm

Very Happy To be honest lads its vertually all we talk about now, We have had a couple of breeder buyer sales and its the main topic, who,s been hit and when and how many we have lost.
Last week in the nice weather everyone was training and they all got hit at different places and times, Some fanciers are saying its the worst year ever, I just think they have started hitting us a bit earlier this year and it seems worst, but everyones getting hit now at home around the loft, some fanciers just are not letting the birds out for exercise, it will be 2 or 3 20 milers and then first race 90 miles, they have a better chance that way rather than keep on training and loseing birds, but its just the way it is down here we accept it as normal.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: First training toss   First training toss EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 9:41 pm

was talking to my brother today martyn, he lives in goole......over the weekend he had his birds out and as he was stood just in front of the loft door a sparrow hawk swooped right past him into the loft doorway after a little red hen...........he said it happed so quick he didnt have time to react and he scared it away as he ran towards the door, luckyly it didnt catch any of the pigeons.

by what ive heard off other people the hawks have no fear of humans and will attack other birds just feet away from people.
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: First training toss   First training toss EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 9:47 pm

peel bros wrote:
must admit i could,nt take losing birds nearly every day like you lot do, it is heartbreaking considering how much work goes into pigeons for them just to be taken so easily

Will second that Ray scratch scratch
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: First training toss   First training toss EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 9:49 pm

Very Happy I dont think that is really true, they do have fear, and will stay away if they see you. They are focused on the bird and its movement and are unaware of the humans, maybe your brother was standing still looking at the birds when it struck, the hawk just didnt recognise him as a threat, once he moved and the hawksaw him it probably went sharpish. But if they hit a bird down and not even kill it, they will have it on thier minds and come back within minutes to see if its still there, providing you again stand still and hide they always return.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: First training toss   First training toss EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 9:54 pm

well i was told by my mother who is a keen gardener that a while ago she was just stood in the garden when a sparrow hawk flew past her approx 2ft away and attacked a bird, it didnt even bat an eyelid that she was stood there and flew off with it.
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: First training toss   First training toss EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 10:05 pm

2 years ago in the winter about november I let some birds out for a bath while I cleaned out suddenly there was birds everywhere, when I looked up 2 sparrow hawks had hit down a big grizzle cock and were trying to pin it down fortunetly it was a big cock and was strong and heavy so they couldnt carry it off, I ran out and shouted at them but they still kept going at the bird until I almost got to them and they flew off, they were very bold, and very hungry I suspect, I never saw them again they were probably migrants travelling together.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: First training toss   First training toss EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 10:09 pm

i think once they have "locked on" to their target they dont see or care about anything going on around them..........all they focus on is the prey/victim.
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: First training toss   First training toss EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 10:11 pm

yes thats true.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: First training toss   First training toss EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 10:14 pm

are there any precaustions you take martyn to try keep attacks down to a minimum.....?
i have two large mirrors out at an angle to the sun so it reflects hopefully onto any incoming hawk...........dont know if it actually helps but its always worth a try i think.
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: First training toss   First training toss EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 10:55 pm

The only thing I have david is a gun, I always watch my birds exercising and never let them out when Im not there, tried it and lost too many birds, its a bit of a pain and ties you up but esential, I cant let them out to fly and clean out unless my son is in the garden on watch. sad days.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: First training toss   First training toss EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 11:38 pm

certainly is sad days martyn, i never remember it been like this 20 odd years ago when i raced...........i know why its like this but what help do we get from the rpra?

oh while im on the subject i hear david bills has been sacked........... scratch
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: First training toss   First training toss EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 6:34 pm

terrible
Back to top Go down
stormqueen
Youngbird
Youngbird
stormqueen

PostSubject: Re: First training toss   First training toss EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 7:01 pm

pas go ray and collect 200.
you have got all the posts correct cheers
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: First training toss   First training toss EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 7:53 pm

thanks
Back to top Go down
phil411
Youngbird
Youngbird
phil411

PostSubject: Re: First training toss   First training toss EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 2:42 pm

wat a lovely day today just the wind ... was hopeing to train today aswell i ended up flying them round loft for hour morrning and tea time too
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: First training toss   First training toss EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 5:53 pm

kept mine in too windy for mine
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: First training toss   First training toss EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 8:11 pm

terrible weather here today, was worried the roof might blow off............. affraid
Back to top Go down
kev d
Youngbird
Youngbird
kev d

PostSubject: Re: First training toss   First training toss EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 9:29 pm

give out nice weather down here over the weekend hoping to go to the
coast with the family so the birds are going as well , lyme regis or exmouth
its about 25 miles .
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: First training toss   First training toss EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 10:33 pm

wind died down now but still cold and wet, so could be nasty again tommorrow..... scratch
Back to top Go down
wraggy
Hatchling
Hatchling
wraggy

PostSubject: Re: First training toss   First training toss EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 10:34 pm

its gunna be nice
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: First training toss   First training toss EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 10:36 pm

hows the training going wraggy, when your first race again.....?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First training toss   First training toss Empty

Back to top Go down

First training toss
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next