Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» King removes Patronage
How long do you give a pigeon ? Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:21 pm

» Good Morning
How long do you give a pigeon ? Emptyby David Today at 5:50 pm

» Weather today
How long do you give a pigeon ? Emptyby David Today at 9:20 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
How long do you give a pigeon ? Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
How long do you give a pigeon ? Emptyby David Yesterday at 4:53 pm

» escaped birds return
How long do you give a pigeon ? Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 10:42 am

» Scandalous .......
How long do you give a pigeon ? Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
How long do you give a pigeon ? Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
How long do you give a pigeon ? Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) How long do you give a pigeon ? 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 84 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 84 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.How long do you give a pigeon ? Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
How long do you give a pigeon ? Vote_lcapHow long do you give a pigeon ? Voting_barHow long do you give a pigeon ? Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
How long do you give a pigeon ? Vote_lcapHow long do you give a pigeon ? Voting_barHow long do you give a pigeon ? Vote_rcap 
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222738 messages in 14003 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
How long do you give a pigeon ? Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
How long do you give a pigeon ? Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

How long do you give a pigeon ?

Go down 
+6
Ginger
Alex
oldstrain
birdy2011
lvlasked
David
10 posters
AuthorMessage
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

How long do you give a pigeon ? Empty
PostSubject: How long do you give a pigeon ?   How long do you give a pigeon ? EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 10:57 pm

how long do members give a pigeon to see if its any good, some kill ybs at the end of the season because they havnt done enough to earn a perch for next season, some give them up to the yearling stage to show signs of being a decent bird.............then theres some fanciers who wait till they are two year olds to see what they do.

what do members think to this, and at what age do they get rid of a bird that hasnt performed well enough.......... scratch study
Back to top Go down
lvlasked
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: How long do you give a pigeon ?   How long do you give a pigeon ? EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 9:07 am

well mine get till there 3yr olds and if they havnt scored out then i guess it be time to get rid of them
Back to top Go down
http://cing.co.uk/
birdy2011
Oldbird
Oldbird
birdy2011

PostSubject: Re: How long do you give a pigeon ?   How long do you give a pigeon ? EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 9:33 am

ide say if its shown no signs and others in the loft are performing it should be disposed of at the yearling stage how ever distance birds may differ but im no distance flyer but in general a pigeon should show signs of consistancey
and at the same time look at the parents if you breed six y/b from a pair and they turn out to be no good then either change the pairing or get rid of them along with the none tryers jmo
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: How long do you give a pigeon ?   How long do you give a pigeon ? EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 10:29 am

to be honest what with bad liberations and clashing along with birds of prey and twats who put unhealthy birds in the basket or the cheats who use antibiotics and vaccines to enhance performance(thus causing disease) then most lofts will be lucky to have a team to select from at the end of racing jmo
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: How long do you give a pigeon ?   How long do you give a pigeon ? EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 1:47 pm

thanks for the opinions so far, would any of you kill or get rid of ybs at the end of the season ? or do you think the yb racing is just a learning process and to part with them as ybs could maybe be wasting birds which could perform as old birds.......?

any thoughts ?
Back to top Go down
Alex
Youngbird
Youngbird
Alex

PostSubject: Re: How long do you give a pigeon ?   How long do you give a pigeon ? EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 3:29 pm

ybs no i wont get rid of any but partly the fact that i dont have obs and need them...but you cannot tell which ones will make decent obs, ive got 1 thats thereabouts everyweek but dont know how it will do next year but will have a chance as a yearling and then go from there, as i feel they are only learning now, as with the stock birds i will note which pairs do well after breeding 6yb and if no good then its time for change as bad birds cost just as much as good ones to feed.
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: How long do you give a pigeon ?   How long do you give a pigeon ? EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 6:50 pm

It dont make any difference if a yb have flown or not as long as they trained to show them what to expect as old birds you will find the ones that has not raced will do just as well as the ones that hase raced, but what ever you do dont overcrowd your loft/sheds keep a nice team and you should be allright for next year please dont OVERCROWD your birds study study study study study study study study
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: How long do you give a pigeon ?   How long do you give a pigeon ? EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 6:53 pm

I feel a bird must have passed 3 before its deemed no good for racing or breeding, yougsters are just that and are learning and dull, if you kill youngsters then you are dull...yearlings are unpredictable and there fore cant be trusted only at 3 have they matured and show what they really are.
Going to breeders 2 seasons of rubbish is always enough for me but but but..I know a chap who kept some longer without producing anything good, he almost killed them and thought he would give them 1 more season, they bred a bird that was amazing a crack, and won big. But it was only 1 but just goes to show what do we really know about pigeons..?
Back to top Go down
Paul Thomson
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: How long do you give a pigeon ?   How long do you give a pigeon ? EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 9:26 pm

Most of my best racers didn't do much as yb's infact some did nothing at all. I do not put a huge amount of faith in yb performances.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: How long do you give a pigeon ?   How long do you give a pigeon ? EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 11:23 pm

right, so would members agree that to kill ybs at the end of the yb season isnt good for the future of the loft........? are they throwing away pigeons which could make the loft/team stronger over the coming years whereby if they got rid the loft could go down hill and never achieve the results it should have done.?
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: How long do you give a pigeon ?   How long do you give a pigeon ? EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 7:45 am

if a yb is totally rubbish its gone,ive never had one that was rubbish as a yb then become a good yearling,these days with darkness ybs you get a better idea if they are any good...i,ve got a massive problem this year,i have 50 plus ybs and i only need maybe 30.....so thats going to be hard to do,but at least i,ll have a good choice
Back to top Go down
George & Morgan
Oldbird
Oldbird
George & Morgan

PostSubject: how long do you give a pigeon   How long do you give a pigeon ? EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 6:06 pm

as long as it is consistent
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: How long do you give a pigeon ?   How long do you give a pigeon ? EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 7:35 pm

David you put the blog up about youngbirds if you look in this weeks homing on page 100 it tells you a bit about it , it may help you a bit
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: How long do you give a pigeon ?   How long do you give a pigeon ? EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 8:50 pm

thanks ginger, i will........i swap the racing pigeon weekly for the bhw with a fancier in the next street so wont get it until saturday. Razz will have a read through it thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How long do you give a pigeon ?   How long do you give a pigeon ? Empty

Back to top Go down

How long do you give a pigeon ?
Page 1 of 1