Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
what feed to give Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:13 am

» Good Morning
what feed to give Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:12 am

» come join us
what feed to give Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
what feed to give Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
what feed to give Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:19 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
what feed to give Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
what feed to give Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
what feed to give Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
what feed to give Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) what feed to give 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 22 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 21 Guests :: 1 Bot

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.what feed to give Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
what feed to give Vote_lcapwhat feed to give Voting_barwhat feed to give Vote_rcap 
David
what feed to give Vote_lcapwhat feed to give Voting_barwhat feed to give Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222849 messages in 14006 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
what feed to give Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
what feed to give Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

what feed to give

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

what feed to give Empty
PostSubject: what feed to give   what feed to give EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 9:04 pm

what would members give their birds for sprint races high protine or a high carb mix and the same for distance races and what brand wil you use
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

what feed to give Empty
PostSubject: Re: what feed to give   what feed to give EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 10:04 pm

last year I started off feeding my ybs on Gerry plus, they flew great the first race but then I changed the feed to high protein feed, using a diet mix upon arrival from the race, then protein to build them back up...it took a few weeks to get them back on track and coming well, so im in two minds what to do in future, high protein or high carbs..... scratch
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

what feed to give Empty
PostSubject: Re: what feed to give   what feed to give EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 10:27 pm

Gerry plus once separated and flying round the loft until first race then I use Gerry and superstar plus ...once they go over the water just superstar if its looking like a hard one I may beef it up with a percentage of breeding mix but then our fed only race to saintes 400 mile messac ,forgeres and carentan the rest is inland ...guys in the midlands and further north probably feed differently as their race programmes are harder ...all versa laga stuff its all we can get pricey but pretty good
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

what feed to give Empty
PostSubject: Re: what feed to give   what feed to give EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 6:16 am

markevans wrote:
what would members give their birds for sprint races high protine or a high carb mix and the same for distance races and what brand wil you  use

Logically - the birds need Protein when they have exerted themselves like when they have done a race. Not only is it taxing on their muscles but, especially in the early races, taxing on their emotions as well.

I would always give them top quality feed, high in protein, the day/afternoon they come home from a race. Then if you wish, give them some sort of 'breakdown mix' to clear their system out, then you can start again, building them up for the next race.

Do you intend to race your Y/Bs Every Weekend?

The pigeon's body needs Proteins to "Build and Repair" muscles that have been worked hard or damaged - and Carbohydrates to 'Store Energy' for endurance events such as the longer races.

If we think about it - a short race of under 60 miles/100 kilometres is a lot like flying around the loft for an hour and a bit. The only added strain on the bird, is the mental factor of being away from its home and being with LOTS of other birds, which it may not be used to.

I believe that the Young of all mammals (including pigeons) LEARN very quickly and it only takes a few races for the young bird to take on-board the new experiences and cope with them very well.

It is only when the races get longer and/or they have to cross water that we need to really think about physically building up the birds' constitution and energy stores, to help them cope with the extended periods of physical exercise and stress!

I hope this helps.

Phil (blueskylofts)
Back to top Go down
http://www.philongold.net
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

what feed to give Empty
PostSubject: Re: what feed to give   what feed to give EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 11:09 am

blueskylofts wrote:
markevans wrote:
what would members give their birds for sprint races high protine or a high carb mix and the same for distance races and what brand wil you  use

Logically - the birds need Protein when they have exerted themselves like when they have done a race.  Not only is it taxing on their muscles but, especially in the early races, taxing on their emotions as well.

I would always give them top quality feed, high in protein, the day/afternoon they come home from a race.  Then if you wish, give them some sort of 'breakdown mix' to clear their system out, then you can start again, building them up for the next race.

Do you intend to race your Y/Bs Every Weekend?

The pigeon's body needs Proteins to "Build and Repair" muscles that have been worked hard or damaged - and Carbohydrates to 'Store Energy' for endurance events such as the longer races.

If we think about it - a short race of under 60 miles/100 kilometres is a lot like flying around the loft for an hour and a bit.  The only added strain on the bird, is the mental factor of being away from its home and being with LOTS of other birds, which it may not be used to.

I believe that the Young of all mammals (including pigeons) LEARN very quickly and it only takes a few races for the young bird to take on-board the new experiences and cope with them very well.

It is only when the races get longer and/or they have to cross water that we need to really think about physically building up the birds' constitution and energy stores, to help them cope with the extended periods of physical exercise and stress!

I hope this helps.

Phil (blueskylofts)  

Phil  Smile  Smile. Feed them heavy feed them light etc it will all send you round the bend if you let it etc Wink Wink 100 good flyers will feed a 100 differant ways with their feed as such. From rich type feed to those that prefer being on the light side & I often wonder how many young birds get lost being on the light side of things, just because they have no energy in the tank to battle through to the end  when things go belly up in just trying to find there way home. I have never fed a bean to my birds in my life here (mainly peas), I suspect thou bounce bounce those that have mastered the art of bean feeding & only beans would be lol! lol! lol! about all the waffle, that continues to be pushed on pigeon flyers with all the super mixes out there these days & the magic seeds that one must buy to be successful. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

what feed to give Empty
PostSubject: Re: what feed to give   what feed to give Empty

Back to top Go down

what feed to give
Page 1 of 1