Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Advice needed Emptyby oldstrain Today at 2:00 pm

» Good Morning
Advice needed Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 8:17 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Advice needed Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:49 pm

» good luck weekend
Advice needed Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:30 pm

» escaped birds return
Advice needed Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:24 pm

» Scandalous .......
Advice needed Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
Advice needed Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
Advice needed Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:41 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Advice needed Emptyby David Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:25 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Advice needed 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 94 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 93 Guests :: 2 Bots

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Advice needed Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Advice needed Vote_lcapAdvice needed Voting_barAdvice needed Vote_rcap 
David
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222607 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Advice needed Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Advice needed Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Advice needed

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mella
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

Advice needed Empty
PostSubject: Advice needed   Advice needed EmptyMon May 28, 2012 10:54 pm

Hi there, I wonder if anyone can advise me?

Last Saturday a pigeon landed on my lawn. I saw that it had rings on its legs and it also seemed quite tame. It was obviously tired and very hungry and was easily caught. I made a note of it's numbers and through the magic of the internet I was soon talking to its owner. It was indeed lost and had flown from Scotland to South Wales. The owner advise me to look after it for a few days and let it rest. He said he though it might fly home as it was an older experienced bird but if it didn't, then he would send a courier for it. I did as he said and let it out a few days later. it was obviously feeling a lot better as it shot out of my shed like a greyhound out of a trap. I thought that would be an end to it but a few hours later i heard a flapping above my head and it was back. It stayed on my roof looking at me until 6 PM when it suddenly decided to fly off. It didn't come back so i presumed it had decided to go home. The next morning i went out to the garden early and low and behold it was back and this time it had brought a friend with it, another pigeon who also has leg rings. This other pigeon is quite a timid thing and follows the first pigeon everywhere. There was no way of catching them. I phoned the owner to tell him what had happened. He said the other pigeon wasn't his and advised me not to feed them for a few days and then to try and scare them off in the hope that his pigeon would decide to fly home. I also found out that it's a female, and i'm sure the other is female too as it is very quiet and doesn't coo or display. Anyhow, they sit on my roof looking at me all day then both go off at about 6 pm and turn up again at 7 am this morning and sit on my roof all day.

Later that afternoon i went into the garden to see if they were still there only to be greeted by a lot of coo coooing and looking up at the roof I see there are now 3 pigeons, the third one being a feral male who is chancing his arm with the two girls and is cooing and displaying his tail feathers... It was a bit of a Hitchcock moment i can tell you. I had visions of gaining a bird a day at this rate.

I managed to shoo two of them away for a little bit - the second female and the male - by making a loud noise, but the first female who is quite unphased by life, just looks at me like i'm an idiot and very soon the second female has flown back to be with her BBF and the male follows her and continues coo cooing and puffing his chest out trying to impress the both.

Obviously I don't want to start a pigeon colony, or my neighbours will never forgive me and all our houses have cats, including mine, so any advise on the best way to handle this.? They all flew off again about 6pm this evening but i'm expecting them back tomorrow morning and why fly off at about 6pm anyhow? what is the significance of 6 pm in a pigeons life. Do you think i ought to start building a pigeon loft? The way that male wouldn't take no for an answer i'm expecting there to be a few chicks. Can pigeons who have been brought up in a loft survive in the wild? and where would they go in the rain or even worse, in the winter... sheesh, as if i havn't got enough to worry about, i didn't expect this when i looked out of my window and saw that a pigeon had landed on my lawn.

Sorry to make my post such a long one.

Mella.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Advice needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice needed   Advice needed EmptyMon May 28, 2012 11:56 pm

hi mella, welcome to the site.....very interesting story you have told us about there.

if it was me i would inform the owner that the first pigeon has made no attempt to return home, and that you require him to arange a courier to collect his bird and return it home........once this bird has gone then maybe the second timid bird might decide to return home, if not try catch it and report it to its owner for returning home.

once the racers have gone the feral shouldnt be too hard to get rid of....
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

Advice needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice needed   Advice needed EmptyTue May 29, 2012 12:43 pm

You could try and put a plastic bag on a long pole and raise it up to roof level this should do the trick.
Don't feed any food or bread out for the wild birds while they are coming.
If they don't get fed then then they will move on.
But if you feed them, you will br encouraging them to stay.
Any pigeon a racer or feral will not continue to come if it is not being fed.
Simple scare tactics will work and they will not become a problem and move on.
You never know, if you have a local sparrowhawk, this may even do the job for you as they seem to have a great liking for pigeons.
Back to top Go down
http://kjlofts.yolasite.com/about-our-birds.php
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

Advice needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice needed   Advice needed EmptyTue May 29, 2012 9:54 pm

David wrote:
hi mella, welcome to the site.....very interesting story you have told us about there.

if it was me i would inform the owner that the first pigeon has made no attempt to return home, and that you require him to arange a courier to collect his bird and return it home........once this bird has gone then maybe the second timid bird might decide to return home, if not try catch it and report it to its owner for returning home.

once the racers have gone the feral shouldnt be too hard to get rid of....

Will second that Mella
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

Advice needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice needed   Advice needed EmptyTue May 29, 2012 9:54 pm

Gaz b wrote:
You could try and put a plastic bag on a long pole and raise it up to roof level this should do the trick.
Don't feed any food or bread out for the wild birds while they are coming.
If they don't get fed then then they will move on.
But if you feed them, you will br encouraging them to stay.
Any pigeon a racer or feral will not continue to come if it is not being fed.
Simple scare tactics will work and they will not become a problem and move on.
You never know, if you have a local sparrowhawk, this may even do the job for you as they seem to have a great liking for pigeons.

Will second that Mella
Back to top Go down
mella
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

Advice needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice needed   Advice needed EmptyWed May 30, 2012 11:35 am

Hi and thanks for the advice.

I've decided not to leave any food out, ( in fact i haven't fed them for the past 2 days,) and hope they will simply move off into the town with their feral friend where there are loads of pigeons for them to play with.

So far, all 3 are still coming round early in the morning and leaving in the evening, and it's a bit sad sitting in the garden and having them watch me all day willing me to go get them some grub. I just have to keep telling myself it's tough love. :-)

Therese no hope of ever catching them so i'll just have to phone the first ones owner and tell him his pigeon seems to prefer the climate down here and has found herself a new boyfriend and perhaps might never come back.

Mella
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Advice needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice needed   Advice needed EmptyWed May 30, 2012 12:15 pm

ive often heard lost racers do this, apearing early morning and going in the evening........maybe they are going to a safe place to sleep for the night maybe ?

im sure the racers will eventually be able to be caught once hungry enough, and then be reported........but the thing is once reported you should really keep hold of them in a box etc as the owner will need to organise a courrier to collect them.......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Advice needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice needed   Advice needed Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice needed
Page 1 of 1