Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
widowhood hens Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 8:02 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
widowhood hens Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 3:34 pm

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
widowhood hens Emptyby David Today at 12:38 pm

» Good Morning
widowhood hens Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 11:19 am

» Scandalous .......
widowhood hens Emptyby David Today at 9:41 am

» Morgan's new job
widowhood hens Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:43 pm

» Another find
widowhood hens Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» birds on loan
widowhood hens Emptyby oldstrain Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Garlic .......
widowhood hens Emptyby Knackered Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:07 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) widowhood hens 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 107 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 106 Guests :: 2 Bots

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.widowhood hens Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
widowhood hens Vote_lcapwidowhood hens Voting_barwidowhood hens Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222569 messages in 13998 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
widowhood hens Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
widowhood hens Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

widowhood hens

Go down 
+3
David
barnie
peel bros
7 posters
AuthorMessage
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

widowhood hens Empty
PostSubject: widowhood hens   widowhood hens EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 7:37 pm

do members lock their hens up,we are starting tomorrow as fresh hens will pair up if you leave them in an end on their own.we lock ours up all season.what do you do ?
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

widowhood hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: widowhood hens   widowhood hens EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 8:03 pm

dont race now but used to race cocks only, the hens were kept in another allottment so cocks couldnt hear them. Just an open aviary with tin sheeting roof and single wooden pole to perch on.
Had bungee cord criss crossed on floor to stop them getting together and pairing there. just a little shelf for drinker. Next to aviary was a small shed with trap, just opened this up on a night and hens came in to be fed. Only fed on a night @7pm. Once fed they went into single hen boxes in that shed with water cups on and left till morning then back into aviary again. Feeding was similar to cocks building them up to be mad fresh for friday basketing. 100% barley rationed till thursday then a bit redband a.m. with widowhood mix p.m. much as they could eat. Friday am they got level teaspoon of hemp each but thats all so they would trap back to the cocks garden.
Only had 12 cocks and these hens just liberated on basketing night saved carrying them round, they only did half a turn and trapped straight in to the widowhood loft.
If youre racing hens though parts of this system might be adapted same idea keeping them from pairing. Flying cocks only, you still got to put a bit time and effort into the hens though, thet got to be fresh and showing like mad.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

widowhood hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: widowhood hens   widowhood hens EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 8:19 pm

interesting reading colin, thanks for sharing.........

in the past we had the hens as far away from the cocks as possible, during the day they went out into an aviery with roofing lats accross to perch on.........on an evening they went into the small loft which also had roofing lats as perches and we fed them on barley and kept them a bit light of food until the end of the week, when they would need to be a bit lively for the cocks before basketting.

i cant say we ever had much trouble with the hens pairing up to each other, altho i dare say we will have got some who did.........
Back to top Go down
edgie
Youngbird
Youngbird
edgie

widowhood hens Empty
PostSubject: widowhood hens   widowhood hens EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 9:03 pm

i dont fly widowhood but i keep my hens in a section next to cocks, they cant see them but can hear them, they perch on plastic v perches, they are flown out for exercise every day if weather allows, then they go into a small aviary in the front of the loft, standing room only, the aviary also has a wire floor, there they will stay till evening then they go to roost back in there section, i have no problem with them pairing up what so ever. (dont see why that should not work for widowhood hens they will certanly be happier than locked away in a box and being wasted for the season ). cheers
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

widowhood hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: widowhood hens   widowhood hens EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 9:05 pm

peel bros wrote:
do members lock their hens up,we are starting tomorrow as fresh hens will pair up if you leave them in an end on their own.we lock ours up all season.what do you do ?

i thought you flew roundabout ray ?
Back to top Go down
cawdy
Chipping
Chipping
cawdy

widowhood hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: widowhood hens   widowhood hens EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 9:08 pm

had a few older racing hens pairing up last year. but it wasnt untill late in the season when it started to get realy warm. and we had stopped a few birds for the channel races. so we have got widow hens boxes for this year and going to let them use them as perches till wed and them lock them up to try and wind them up a bit. but if there is any in particular that want to pairup then they can be locked up after exercise and feeding

Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

widowhood hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: widowhood hens   widowhood hens EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 11:59 pm

barnie wrote:
dont race now but used to race cocks only, the hens were kept in another allottment so cocks couldnt hear them. Just an open aviary with tin sheeting roof and single wooden pole to perch on.
Had bungee cord criss crossed on floor to stop them getting together and pairing there. just a little shelf for drinker. Next to aviary was a small shed with trap, just opened this up on a night and hens came in to be fed. Only fed on a night @7pm. Once fed they went into single hen boxes in that shed with water cups on and left till morning then back into aviary again. Feeding was similar to cocks building them up to be mad fresh for friday basketing. 100% barley rationed till thursday then a bit redband a.m. with widowhood mix p.m. much as they could eat. Friday am they got level teaspoon of hemp each but thats all so they would trap back to the cocks garden.
Only had 12 cocks and these hens just liberated on basketing night saved carrying them round, they only did half a turn and trapped straight in to the widowhood loft.
If youre racing hens though parts of this system might be adapted same idea keeping them from pairing. Flying cocks only, you still got to put a bit time and effort into the hens though, thet got to be fresh and showing like mad.

Agree 100% barnie
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

widowhood hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: widowhood hens   widowhood hens EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 7:17 am

David wrote:
peel bros wrote:

i thought you flew roundabout ray ?
i do david but they are the same as widowhood hens,they pair up
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

widowhood hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: widowhood hens   widowhood hens EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 10:42 am

ah right, i thought roundabout hens were loose in their own section and were let through into the cocks section when they went out....or something like that..... lol!
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

widowhood hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: widowhood hens   widowhood hens EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 5:55 pm

yes you have to lock tehm up,unless you do what some have suggested david.i started locking half my hens up tonight,they were not pairing up but i want them fresh as for the first open race
Back to top Go down
kev d
Youngbird
Youngbird
kev d

widowhood hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: widowhood hens   widowhood hens EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 7:38 pm

when i raced w/hood back in yorks i had a small loft my hens were right next door to the cocks i had my best season that year my best result with just 10 cocks was 2nd fed 1st club , 6th south yorks amal 8,000 birds out of falaise 336 miles feed your hens right and you wont have much trouble .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

widowhood hens Empty
PostSubject: Re: widowhood hens   widowhood hens Empty

Back to top Go down

widowhood hens
Page 1 of 1