Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» escaped birds return
horses for courses Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 8:39 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
horses for courses Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:37 am

» good luck weekend
horses for courses Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:05 am

» Good Morning
horses for courses Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:03 am

» Weather today
horses for courses Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:00 am

» Scandalous .......
horses for courses Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
horses for courses Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
horses for courses Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
horses for courses Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:25 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) horses for courses 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 101 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 99 Guests :: 3 Bots

barnie, George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.horses for courses Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
horses for courses Vote_lcaphorses for courses Voting_barhorses for courses Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
horses for courses Vote_lcaphorses for courses Voting_barhorses for courses Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222582 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
horses for courses Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
horses for courses Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

horses for courses

Go down 
+5
kev d
oldstrain
Joseph Vincent
Knackered
Rudderfett
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

horses for courses Empty
PostSubject: horses for courses   horses for courses EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 9:13 am

I have a question which I would like opinions on please, I have my opinion on this subject but over the weekend I have been discussing it with a club member who has other views.

We in south wales have been racing into this difficult area for years and people who visit me comment on how far down the line we live and the terrain here in Pembrokeshire.
Now its a fact that we have rugged coastlines with expanses of water twisting and turning everywhere, together with hills and mountains everywhere, with deep valleys for miles, whereas in HOLLAND for instance its totally flat for hundreds of miles.

Here is the question, If you buy pigeons from flat areas like Holland and then put them into our invironment where its more demanding and more difficult to navigate will they struggle, and I forgot to say it rains in Wales most of the time and almost every race will be a headwind as our winds comes mostly from the south west.

My mate was talking to a well known scribe who owns an auction site which sparked this debate, he thinks Im mad buying from Holland as I should go to a welsh fancier whos birds are used to the area.???

I personally believe this is total rubbish as scientifically there would be no basis for this to be true, If a bird has ability through genetics to be a good racer with good homing ability bred from winning lines, then this should be passed on regardless.

A youngster hatching from an egg has no awareness of where it is born which country or loft and is therefore able to adapt to its surroundings, otherwise and awareness before hatching would result in them homing to the loft they were conceived in which we all know is just as rubbish.

opinions please but think about it logically.?

Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

horses for courses Empty
PostSubject: Re: horses for courses   horses for courses EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 9:31 am

Rudderfett wrote:
I have a question which I would like opinions on please, I have my opinion on this subject but over the weekend I have been discussing it with a club member who has other views.

We in south wales have been racing into this difficult area for years and people who visit me comment on how far down the line we live and the terrain here in Pembrokeshire.
Now its a fact that we have rugged coastlines with expanses of water twisting and turning everywhere, together with hills and mountains everywhere, with deep valleys for miles, whereas in HOLLAND for instance its totally flat for hundreds of miles.

Here is the question, If you buy pigeons from flat areas like Holland and then put them into our invironment where its more demanding and more difficult to navigate will they struggle, and I forgot to say it rains in Wales most of the time and almost every race will be a headwind as our winds comes mostly from the south west.

My mate was talking to a well known scribe who owns an auction site which sparked this debate, he thinks Im mad buying from Holland as I should go to a welsh fancier whos birds are used to the area.???

I personally believe this is total rubbish as scientifically there would be no basis for this to be true, If a bird has ability through genetics to be a good racer with good homing ability bred from winning lines, then this should be passed on regardless.

A youngster hatching from an egg has no awareness of where it is born which country or loft and is therefore able to adapt to its surroundings, otherwise and awareness before hatching would result in them homing to the loft they were conceived in which we all know is just as rubbish.

opinions please but think about it logically.?

I will think about it Rudd lol! lol! lol! It's well past my bed time here now Smile Smile You will just have to wait Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wink Wink till tomorrow I'm afraid. Before I pass on my wee bit of wisdom ??????. cheers
Back to top Go down
Joseph Vincent
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

horses for courses Empty
PostSubject: Re: horses for courses   horses for courses EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 11:03 am

Acquire birds to a fancier who is consistently winning on the said place. That's my only opinion. Like here in our country, we have 2 Race Sectors. The North Race Sector which is lots of mountains and the other one is The South Race Sector which is the birds must cross the sea then followed by mountains. Some believed that they win in the north race but when they race to south sector, some are able to get back home but can't able to come home on time while others are gone because they are afraid of the sea.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

horses for courses Empty
PostSubject: Re: horses for courses   horses for courses EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 12:30 pm

we race a much tougher terrain than our European friends for sure and I think it is horses for courses but their is always the exception ...I had 18 dutch birds last season and they never once beat my own birds home the first 3 or 4 were always home bred birds....maybe with everyone scrambling for foreign imports and the latest craze from Belgium and Holland over the years is partly to blame for high yb loses ...before anyone says...I was asked by my good friend to try these birds out ....we had a bad yb race and I sent 12 dutch birds and 3 of my own I lost 10 of the dutchys and had all 3 home bred return ,I don't usualy lose many ybs I usualy have at least 60% left from what I have bred after racing
and like you martyn I usualy experience headwinds flying north road
I am not saying I am correct but you can only go on what you experience yourself and by the way these birds are scoring well into the north of Holland and their was 1 bird amongst them that was a good consistant performer I will say that so their is always the exception jmo
Back to top Go down
kev d
Youngbird
Youngbird
kev d

horses for courses Empty
PostSubject: Re: horses for courses   horses for courses EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 4:11 pm

over the years since racing in to the west country the only pigeons whats keeps coming for me are what been bred of pigeon from this area .
when i first came down here from yorkshire i got some yb sent down to me from my good friend at the time there were one of the top lofts in yorkshire
all went down in the yb programe but the home bred mongrel strain keep coming , ive just got some new birds of a friend from around here all long distance stuff a mixture of denny emerton and dave hales of hockley so some thing to look forward to in future years for the long races .
Back to top Go down
friendsloft
Youngbird
Youngbird
friendsloft

horses for courses Empty
PostSubject: Re: horses for courses   horses for courses EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 4:23 pm

I would also say that the bird must like ur management ways some will take to it some wont , it all depends what has been bred into their genes I have brought birds in from one loft and lost them ive also brought similar birds in from a different loft with a similar management system to my own and have flown well with them just my observation
Ken
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/friendsloft/index.htm
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

horses for courses Empty
PostSubject: Re: horses for courses   horses for courses EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 8:11 pm

Martyn as you no we are on an island here what I have found if you bring birds in it could be up to three years to get them to fly, sometimes your lucky and the odd one will do all right and like ken says they have got to get used to your management I have bought good birds in but its hard work for us with are own birds and the way things are going with returns Idont think it will get any better good luck with your new birds I hope for you down their with the hawk probs you are getting perhaps our friends wont like the taste of them
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

horses for courses Empty
PostSubject: Re: horses for courses   horses for courses EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 5:13 am

friendsloft wrote:
I would also say that the bird must like ur management ways some will take to it some wont , it all depends what has been bred into their genes I have brought birds in from one loft and lost them ive also brought similar birds in from a different loft with a similar management system to my own and have flown well with them just my observation
Ken
Ken !!!!!! Smile Smile Rudd, has ask us all a rather difficult question in my view. No short answer could cover this topic etc here. The first thing which has to be taken in is the enjoyment factor in my view & that can have many facists to it, depending on what one likes etc or dislikes. Rudd Smile Smile  is a connoisseur of nice eye's (Eye sign) so I suspect that is why he may prefer birds from across the pond so to speak Wink Wink  in his endeavour to be successful, which is all fine as far as I'm concerned. But !!!!!!!! we all know the Rome saga bounce bounce bounce short way & the long way lol! lol! lol! & everyone in the end may all finish up there at the same time, with a bit of luck etc Wink Wink type of thing. Rudd's way Smile Smile  is not my way & never has been etc. No matter where one may race, the best pigeons in that area are good pigeons & good luck to all those that leed the pack on race day type of thing "Credit where credit is due" Unfortunately thou, when many of these pigeons are taken out of there comfort zone, they become ordinary etc. especially when the wind is on the nose & you throw in a bit of distance to boot. So !!!!!!!! what does all that really mean at the end of the day Smile Smile to me it means go local "Big time' & forget all that "Spin & bling" that is rammed down our throats etc that we all know exists & find those back yard pigeon flyers who are having success in your local area & make good friends with them Wink Wink & if they just happen to like the odd drop lol! lol! lol!  take a slab or two with you when you pay them a visit Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wink Wink if you are so fortunate . cheers 
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

horses for courses Empty
PostSubject: Re: horses for courses   horses for courses EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 6:09 pm

Well Knackered that really is a good answer and a well thought out one at that, also a truthfull one.
Im not sure if I feel flattered by some of it or offended by some of it but that doesn't really matter what I think as Im after some answers from experienced fanciers and not pleasant chitchat.

I think If Im really honest I have to somewhat agree with you mostly, first of all there are fanciers here who can beat me and they have really good pigeons, one of my friends is the best in this area by far and wins nearly everything.
However I hate his values in pigeon racing and If I was like him I don't think I would like myself.
He has offered me pigeons and I must admit I have had the odd one or 2, and this year I did win with one.

This might be the admittance that you are there fore spot on with going local and that might turn out to be the case, But its not that easy for me.

To explain why is simple I am a stuborne bastxxd and would never be able to stand some one pointing out they were there birds that were wining for me, I would rather work it out for myself or forget it.

Also I like certain types of pigeon and have a very nostalgic gene in me which loves the romance of the older breeds, and If I accepted gift birds or bought local I couldn't control what I buy.
I haven't taken the easy way out in my opinion and tried to buy  success but rather for the first time in my life I am capable of buying more expensive pigeons, when I was young I had a crap loft and pigeons to match so when I restarted I chose the best all round.

My knowledge of the eyesign has helped me select the birds I feel capable of breeding winners and this has proved to be so, but its not my GOD, and if a bird with a poor eye breeds winners it stays no matter what I think.
Thanks for the reply it really is food for thought and welcome feedback.
Back to top Go down
kev d
Youngbird
Youngbird
kev d

horses for courses Empty
PostSubject: Re: horses for courses   horses for courses EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 7:29 pm

reading your post rudderfett very intresting ive never been in a position to spend good money on a better class of bird , over the years ive swaped and been given birds most of them have put some good performances up in the club or national level but with having a young family ive not gone in to it 100% now my 2 boys are nearly 18 ive got the time but still no money what with uni fee,s and buying my son his first car . what im trying to say is would i spend the money on a better class of pigeon or would i stay as i am and work harder with what ive got , ive just been given some wonderfull long distance stock to try out no money changed hands all i have to do is get them to tarbess with the NFC and see what they do can,t wait to try them out over the channel . if you get the chance to try out other pigeons from your mates try them out cos most of the time there there best birds .
Back to top Go down
seanl
Youngbird
Youngbird

horses for courses Empty
PostSubject: Re: horses for courses   horses for courses EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 7:40 pm

hi rudderfet  I live north of Aberdeen over the years I have had some of the best lines from the UNC  some have flown  ok  but they never go to the coast 460 to me I have ardens from Holland knock 150 ml off their distance  they will not do 700mls up here  many guys have had the best from wales padfields ect  guess what they cant get them at the distance  yes u have a hard area to fly into but the hardest is up here with out doubt very rarely do u see day birds from 600mls  2nd day national birds or as the dutch say EXTREEM DISTANCE   and by the way I have spent a fortune over the years buying birds but the best are always the gifts off friends money is no guarantee for success  cheers sean
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

horses for courses Empty
PostSubject: Re: horses for courses   horses for courses EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 10:03 pm

Rudderfett wrote:
Well Knackered that really is a good answer and a well thought out one at that, also a truthfull one.
Im not sure if I feel flattered by some of it or offended by some of it but that doesn't really matter what I think as Im after some answers from experienced fanciers and not pleasant chitchat.

I think If Im really honest I have to somewhat agree with you mostly, first of all there are fanciers here who can beat me and they have really good pigeons, one of my friends is the best in this area by far and wins nearly everything.
However I hate his values in pigeon racing and If I was like him I don't think I would like myself.
He has offered me pigeons and I must admit I have had the odd one or 2, and this year I did win with one.

This might be the admittance that you are there fore spot on with going local and that might turn out to be the case, But its not that easy for me.

To explain why is simple I am a stuborne bastxxd and would never be able to stand some one pointing out they were there birds that were wining for me, I would rather work it out for myself or forget it.

Also I like certain types of pigeon and have a very nostalgic gene in me which loves the romance of the older breeds, and If I accepted gift birds or bought local I couldn't control what I buy.
I haven't taken the easy way out in my opinion and tried to buy  success but rather for the first time in my life I am capable of buying more expensive pigeons, when I was young I had a crap loft and pigeons to match so when I restarted I chose the best all round.

My knowledge of the eyesign has helped me select the birds I feel capable of breeding winners and this has proved to be so, but its not my GOD, and if a bird with a poor eye breeds winners it stays no matter what I think.
Thanks for the reply it really is food for thought and welcome feedback.

Rudd !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smile Smile Always remember here Wink Wink no matter what I may say or not say type of thing ?????????. There is always a twinkle in my eye & a smile on my face etc bounce bounce  when I press that send button. cheers 
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

horses for courses Empty
PostSubject: Re: horses for courses   horses for courses EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 11:15 pm

Sean and Kev I totally understand where your coming from and I agree with what you say, and looking after your kids is the best thing to do stuff the pigeons. Also with me the family always comes first and I drop my pigeons every season with the young birds to go away at weekends with my son and mrs, that way I am free to do what I like with the birds keeping them happy..lol

I cannot race more than about 5 yb races each year as I miss too many in between and the jump is then too far so I stop.
But at the same time I try my best with the birds and give 100% to them, I am fortunate that I work from home and have a bit of time to pop into the loft when I can during the day.

As for the pigeons mentioned in Wales those lads fly nearly 80 miles closer to the race point than we do, check out Milford haven in Pembrokeshire to see where we are in wales its tough.
But I been to Scotland a few times and its a hell of a place to visit never seen so many Mountains so I WILL GIVE YOU THAT ONE Wink 
But Im thinking you defo don't have the peregrine troubles we do and that's a fact, I do think we have the highest population in the WORLD.

I do agree free birds and cheap ones sometimes make the best I have experienced this myself only this year and as for the thousands I have spent on pigeons trying to buy the best I will let you know this time next year If they end up in the bin. lol

Back to top Go down
seanl
Youngbird
Youngbird

horses for courses Empty
PostSubject: Re: horses for courses   horses for courses EmptyTue Nov 12, 2013 5:55 am

Rudderfett wrote:
Sean and Kev I totally understand where your coming from and I agree with what you say, and looking after your kids is the best thing to do stuff the pigeons. Also with me the family always comes first and I drop my pigeons every season with the young birds to go away at weekends with my son and mrs, that way I am free to do what I like with the birds keeping them happy..lol

I cannot race more than about 5 yb races each year as I miss too many in between and the jump is then too far so I stop.
But at the same time I try my best with the birds and give 100% to them, I am fortunate that I work from home and have a bit of time to pop into the loft when I can during the day.

As for the pigeons mentioned in Wales those lads fly nearly 80 miles closer to the race point than we do, check out Milford haven in Pembrokeshire to see where we are in wales its tough.
But I been to Scotland a few times and its a hell of a place to visit never seen so many Mountains so I WILL GIVE YOU THAT ONE Wink 
But Im thinking you defo don't have the peregrine troubles we do and that's a fact, I do think we have the highest population in the WORLD.

I do agree free birds and cheap ones sometimes make the best I have experienced this myself only this year and as for the thousands I have spent on pigeons trying to buy the best I will let you know this time next year If they end up in the bin. lol

percy is every where now and we have more than our share I lost 17 birds off the loft most that had been raced during the racing season we probably have more s/hks up here than any where and if u think percy is bad u should see the goss hks in action yes we got all 3 in abundance but that's life now we all just have to do our best cheers sean
Back to top Go down
sjrw
Hatchling
Hatchling
sjrw

horses for courses Empty
PostSubject: Re: horses for courses   horses for courses EmptyTue Nov 12, 2013 6:01 pm

seanl wrote:
Rudderfett wrote:

percy is every where now  and we have more than our share I lost 17 birds off the loft most that had been raced during the racing season  we probably have more s/hks  up here than any where   and if u think percy is bad  u should see the goss hks in action yes we got all 3 in abundance  but that's life now we all just have to do our best  cheers sean
lol! lol! and we have more than you alan. theres more hawks up here than there is humans. lol! lol! 
Back to top Go down
seanl
Youngbird
Youngbird

horses for courses Empty
PostSubject: Re: horses for courses   horses for courses EmptyTue Nov 12, 2013 7:01 pm

I but a few of the hawks up your way don't have wings lol! lol! lol! sean
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

horses for courses Empty
PostSubject: Re: horses for courses   horses for courses Empty

Back to top Go down

horses for courses
Page 1 of 1