Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
How far would you send a yearling? Emptyby David Today at 11:34 am

» King removes Patronage
How far would you send a yearling? Emptyby David Today at 10:33 am

» Weather today
How far would you send a yearling? Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 10:32 am

» escaped birds return
How far would you send a yearling? Emptyby David Today at 10:25 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
How far would you send a yearling? Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
How far would you send a yearling? Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
How far would you send a yearling? Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
How far would you send a yearling? Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
How far would you send a yearling? Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) How far would you send a yearling? 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 82 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 81 Guests :: 2 Bots

David

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.How far would you send a yearling? Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
How far would you send a yearling? Vote_lcapHow far would you send a yearling? Voting_barHow far would you send a yearling? Vote_rcap 
David
How far would you send a yearling? Vote_lcapHow far would you send a yearling? Voting_barHow far would you send a yearling? Vote_rcap 
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222756 messages in 14003 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
How far would you send a yearling? Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
How far would you send a yearling? Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

How far would you send a yearling?

Go down 
+8
Don Webb
birdy2011
George & Morgan
edgie
oldstrain
VanReet Man123
peel bros
Paul
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Paul
Hatchling
Hatchling
Paul

How far would you send a yearling? Empty
PostSubject: How far would you send a yearling?   How far would you send a yearling? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 6:02 pm

I like to stop mine at out first channel, this being lille 347 miles, then next year a bit further till hopefully its still with me at 4 years old to tackle the UNC Marathon thats Bourges, but remember a few in our club used to send their yearlings to Bourges and time them in, but each to our own. But then again how far have members on here sent their yearlings?
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: How far would you send a yearling?   How far would you send a yearling? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 6:21 pm

cocks 347,hens about 420
Back to top Go down
VanReet Man123
Youngbird
Youngbird
VanReet Man123

PostSubject: Re: How far would you send a yearling?   How far would you send a yearling? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 6:23 pm

When we raced in 1990/95 we sent a yearling cock to Niort 523,mles he did it on the day in a lite north wind and hot he were 3,rd club we won it with another bird we only sent 2 and had them both on the day.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: How far would you send a yearling?   How far would you send a yearling? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 6:29 pm

300 miles up to now but old bird team is at maximum numbers now so all being well can be a bit more daring this year with a few and go to 400 miles but all depends on a number of things and I think you need to treat each bird individually jmo
Back to top Go down
edgie
Youngbird
Youngbird
edgie

PostSubject: Re: How far would you send a yearling?   How far would you send a yearling? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 6:43 pm

if it hasent taken owt out of them at 300 miles then a good forcast i just might try a few at 400 miles but no more
Back to top Go down
George & Morgan
Oldbird
Oldbird
George & Morgan

PostSubject: Re: How far would you send a yearling?   How far would you send a yearling? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 6:52 pm

the NI kings cup winner from France this year was a yearling
Back to top Go down
birdy2011
Oldbird
Oldbird
birdy2011

PostSubject: Re: How far would you send a yearling?   How far would you send a yearling? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 7:17 pm

i think 300 is enough there still maturing
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: How far would you send a yearling?   How far would you send a yearling? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 7:25 pm

Seen yearlings fly 500 mile

Look at Mr Cattrysee Colin Lloyd of Cannock
His Saintes National winner was a yearling but that pigeon won the Fed from Saints the week before the national win

That's 2x400 plus miles in a week
Back to top Go down
mufc rick
Youngbird
Youngbird
mufc rick

PostSubject: Re: How far would you send a yearling?   How far would you send a yearling? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 7:30 pm

if its good enough its old enough but wat do I know pmsl
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: How far would you send a yearling?   How far would you send a yearling? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 10:14 pm

mufc rick wrote:
if its good enough its old enough but wat do I know pmsl

Could I suggest  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Wink  Wink Rick, "you know" about as much as the rest of us here & that's not all that much  Smile  Smile . Surely yearlings !!!!! (if fit/healthy & motivated) should be able to fly 5/600miles under reasonable race conditions.  cheers
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: How far would you send a yearling?   How far would you send a yearling? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 10:55 am

many a good distance fancier suggest 2 year old birds for distance and bring um on steady but like I said I think you have to treat each bird as individuals not a job lot ...send all yer yearlings to 500 and 600 mile races ya wont have many left
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: How far would you send a yearling?   How far would you send a yearling? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 11:38 am

oldstrain wrote:
many a good distance fancier suggest 2 year old birds for distance and bring um on steady but like I said I think you have to treat each bird as individuals not a job lot ...send all yer yearlings to 500 and 600 mile races ya wont have many left

Will agree 110% Daz

But for me I would say if you want a proven family I would say send your birds and see what is left for me that's the only way to sort your birds out mate

But it's all about time it takes a lot longer to get a distance family established compared to a sprint family
Back to top Go down
Paul
Hatchling
Hatchling
Paul

PostSubject: Re: How far would you send a yearling?   How far would you send a yearling? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 11:55 am

oldstrain wrote:

Agree with that, I think a yearling will do 5/600 mile races but long term dont think it will do it any good though, jmo
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: How far would you send a yearling?   How far would you send a yearling? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 12:10 pm

In my opinion this is an unanswerable question as everyone will have a different answer. for years now I have raced yearlings down to 280 miles but they are easily lost, and birds that race up to that distance as youngsters don't make it that far as yearlings.

A fancier years ago advised me to only race them on comebacks as its too cold early on, he was right and I did find them easily lost, however others in the area raced them fine and won mostly with yearlings.

I have also religiously stopped a few yearlings to breed from for that year and race them again the following year, but this hasn't been that good and these are again easily lost.

I have come to the conclusion that you have to have fun with them while they are going well, stopping starting or anything eles you do makes no difference, good ones come home and bad ones don't.
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: How far would you send a yearling?   How far would you send a yearling? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 12:45 pm

Rudderfett wrote:
In my opinion this is an unanswerable question as everyone will have a different answer. for years now I have raced yearlings down to 280 miles but they are easily lost, and birds that race up to that distance as youngsters don't make it that far as yearlings.

A fancier years ago advised me to only race them on comebacks as its too cold early on, he was right and I did find them easily lost, however others in the area raced them fine and won mostly with yearlings.

I have also religiously stopped a few yearlings to breed from for that year and race them again the following year, but this hasn't been that good and these are again easily lost.

I have come to the conclusion that you have to have fun with them while they are going well, stopping starting or anything eles you do makes no difference, good ones come home and bad ones don't.

Will free with you there Martyn
Back to top Go down
skytx
Chipping
Chipping
skytx

PostSubject: Re: How far would you send a yearling?   How far would you send a yearling? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 3:06 pm

Not sure at what age ---you folks-call a yearling.----how old?
A 4 month old pigeon--with training - is good for 300 miles.
Seems most flyers "BABY" their birds.
I had a hen---trained up to 30 miles----she flew 3-----300 mile races.
But that is just the way us Texans push pigeons.
I had 1 pigeon that I shipped to ever race.
It never won a race--but came home.
The 500 mile race---took it 29 days to come home.--I think another flyer had it for a while.
It had a tad over 4,000 -offical race-miles on it when I stopped it.

Ring a Squab with a last years ring----ship it with the Old birds--Raaces-
You will be surprised how well the bird will do.
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: How far would you send a yearling?   How far would you send a yearling? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 5:15 pm

With all respect to you TEX but racing in America and here in UK is very different, not sure what raptors you have there a lot I know but not perigrines? and believe me in April here when we start off training the yearlings its f****ng freezing and raining most of the time.
Back to top Go down
skytx
Chipping
Chipping
skytx

PostSubject: Re: How far would you send a yearling?   How far would you send a yearling? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 5:30 pm

Yes rud---we race different here than in the U K.
our 300 mile race - this past weekend----birds were released in 29F temps.
Not sure the C temp----below 0.
And we have our share of Hawks and Falcons.
If you raise and fly rollers and let them fly "EVER" day
you better hatch 365 birds. you will lose 1 ever time you let them out.
Back to top Go down
edgie
Youngbird
Youngbird
edgie

PostSubject: Re: How far would you send a yearling?   How far would you send a yearling? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 7:57 pm

burning the candle at both ends dont do no good to nowt be patcient it works better
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: How far would you send a yearling?   How far would you send a yearling? EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 6:53 am

Rudderfett wrote:
With all respect to you TEX but racing in America and here in UK is very different, not sure what raptors you have there a lot I know but not perigrines? and believe me in April here when we start off training the yearlings its f****ng freezing and raining most of the time.

True Rudd  Smile  Smile in what you say. Total waste of time comparing differant area's/countrys in the way we go about racing the birds etc. So many differant factors play a part before one gets to a final result on race day type of thing. I've seen many an import/pom  Smile  Smile down here, who had a long list of credits to their name (It all meant nothing thou)  lol!  lol!  lol! sadly, in most cases & they just had to adapt to our way of doing things etc or drown slowly in their memories.  cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How far would you send a yearling?   How far would you send a yearling? Empty

Back to top Go down

How far would you send a yearling?
Page 1 of 1