Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
To send or not to send! Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:04 pm

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
To send or not to send! Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:49 pm

» Good Morning
To send or not to send! Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:34 pm

» good luck weekend
To send or not to send! Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:30 pm

» escaped birds return
To send or not to send! Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:24 pm

» Scandalous .......
To send or not to send! Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
To send or not to send! Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
To send or not to send! Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:41 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
To send or not to send! Emptyby David Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:25 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) To send or not to send! 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 44 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 44 Guests :: 3 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.To send or not to send! Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
To send or not to send! Vote_lcapTo send or not to send! Voting_barTo send or not to send! Vote_rcap 
David
To send or not to send! Vote_lcapTo send or not to send! Voting_barTo send or not to send! Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222602 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
To send or not to send! Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
To send or not to send! Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

To send or not to send!

Go down 
+5
Knackered
sj lofts
stormqueen
birdy2011
AndyH912
9 posters
AuthorMessage
AndyH912
Chipping
Chipping
AndyH912

To send or not to send! Empty
PostSubject: To send or not to send!   To send or not to send! EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 9:27 am

Hi. This is my first ever post so be gentle please. I am new to the sport of pigeon racing in fact this is the first year I have ever kept the birds. So you could say I am a real novice!
I have a young bird race tomorrow, 200 miler, and this will be their 4th race having missed last week. I have noticed that they could be in moult as there are feathers everywhere at the moment. During the last couple of months they have dropped the odd flight but that’s it. Some look like they have lost tail feathers and their necks look a little bit” worse from wear” So my question is do I send tomorrow or not?
Back to top Go down
http://www.stambridgepfc.co.uk
birdy2011
Oldbird
Oldbird
birdy2011

PostSubject: Re: To send or not to send!   To send or not to send! EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 9:40 am

200 miles is a big ask for birds in moult also what route do you fly wind will be a factor
if on the nose and ide say 99.9% you will be beaton by darkness birds as this is your first year ide keep what you got for next year so you can race old birds or you will be back to square one
Back to top Go down
stormqueen
Youngbird
Youngbird
stormqueen

PostSubject: Re: To send or not to send!   To send or not to send! EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 9:45 am

good advice graham.
Back to top Go down
AndyH912
Chipping
Chipping
AndyH912

PostSubject: Re: To send or not to send!   To send or not to send! EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 9:51 am

We race North Road. Tomorrow is Wetherby to Essex and looking at the forecast the wind is almost behind them.
Given your advise below I shouldn't really send them as I could be left with no old birds for next year.

Is it OK to still exercise then?
Back to top Go down
sj lofts
Hatchling
Hatchling
sj lofts

PostSubject: Re: To send or not to send!   To send or not to send! EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 9:55 am

leave them at home andy not a gd idea to send them like that mate if there in heavy moult they will go down wat you gta take into account is if there is rain or heavy head wind you can say bye bye to them they don't even like it wen in tip top condition never worry to much flight wise as long as they bursted the flight through but cover. head and neck is a no go mate .jmo ive I was wantin to send and ive not sure get some 1 who knows abit about pigeons to look at them m8 ok and maybe send a few that's lookin gd mate all the best with wat you do ? cheers steve
Back to top Go down
http://www.stafvanreet.com/AboutUs.html
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: To send or not to send!   To send or not to send! EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 9:59 am

boylard912 wrote:
Hi. This is my first ever post so be gentle please. I am new to the sport of pigeon racing in fact this is the first year I have ever kept the birds. So you could say I am a real novice!
I have a young bird race tomorrow, 200 miler, and this will be their 4th race having missed last week. I have noticed that they could be in moult as there are feathers everywhere at the moment. During the last couple of months they have dropped the odd flight but that’s it. Some look like they have lost tail feathers and their necks look a little bit” worse from wear” So my question is do I send tomorrow or not?
Sorry Boylard912 Smile Smile We are a mean brutal lot here lol! lol! lol! & to ask us to be on the gentle side of life etc, may stretch the friendship somewhat  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wink Wink Laughing Laughing. Now !!!!! to your query Smile Smile Early days one could say etc for you at this time in your career, so retire while you are in front & then you will have them for next year. "Patience"  Wink Wink  learn what it means & put it into practice. Then your enjoyment may surprise you, with what you get out of your birds etc. cheers 
Back to top Go down
birdy2011
Oldbird
Oldbird
birdy2011

PostSubject: Re: To send or not to send!   To send or not to send! EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 10:10 am

boylard912 wrote:
We race North Road. Tomorrow is Wetherby to Essex and looking at the forecast the wind is almost behind them.
Given your advise below I shouldn't really send them as I could be left with no old birds for next year.

Is it OK to still exercise then?
yes by all mean let them out and get some nice baths out for um whats a couple of races they have a few years ahead now
Back to top Go down
AndyH912
Chipping
Chipping
AndyH912

PostSubject: Re: To send or not to send!   To send or not to send! EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 10:15 am

Well I guess I was being a little optimistic when I asked you all to take it easy on me Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

"Patience" has never been one of my strong points, come to think of it i don't actually have any strong point Razz I am how ever trying to learn the art of "Patience" and thank you for your words of wisdom. It does seam a shame they have only had 3 races :-(
Back to top Go down
birdy2011
Oldbird
Oldbird
birdy2011

PostSubject: Re: To send or not to send!   To send or not to send! EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 10:19 am

if you send them it could also be there last race head the advice we all made the mistake and regretted it and we are all still learning
Back to top Go down
seanl
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: To send or not to send!   To send or not to send! EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 10:20 am

really not much to add you been given some very good advice   i would keep them at home and yes let them out but dont force fly them  and have the bath out most days   the bath will help them moult   and try and feed them a good moulting mix  do not stint on the food  you want them to get a good moult   remember next years races are won now the moult is very important   best of luck sean
Back to top Go down
sj lofts
Hatchling
Hatchling
sj lofts

PostSubject: Re: To send or not to send!   To send or not to send! EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 10:22 am

andy been in this game 30 odd yrs mate and still learnin pmsl .but never be afraid to ask advice theres some gd lads on here if we can help we will all the best mate ill defo catch up with you today lol make it my mission haha Wink 
Back to top Go down
AndyH912
Chipping
Chipping
AndyH912

PostSubject: Re: To send or not to send!   To send or not to send! EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 10:24 am

Thanks guys they will be staying home now.

On a different thread On of they youngsters can back from a training toss with a large gash on the side of his breast up near his leg. I have sprayed it with iodine but wondered if there was anything better I could use to help it heal. It doesn't appear to effect his flying but he has a very slight limp.

Andy
Back to top Go down
sj lofts
Hatchling
Hatchling
sj lofts

PostSubject: Re: To send or not to send!   To send or not to send! EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 10:41 am

andy the best thing ive used and always carry it in med cupboard is johnsons baby talc the unscented 1 m8 just squeeze utill it packs it out defo works and drys all moist up but ive very deep may need stitchin cotton will do and spray with iodine m8
Back to top Go down
AndyH912
Chipping
Chipping
AndyH912

PostSubject: Re: To send or not to send!   To send or not to send! EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 10:56 am

Thanks for the info Steve Will see if EssexSteve can give me a hand, after I get some stitching cotton and I think it might need it! be ashame to dispatch him as he is a good boy!! even though he is a well bred Roland Janssen!!!

thanks for the pics earlier as I think out mails crossed. adding them to the site at the min!!!
Back to top Go down
sj lofts
Hatchling
Hatchling
sj lofts

PostSubject: Re: To send or not to send!   To send or not to send! EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 11:15 am

ok andy no probs m8 will be ok if just give it a couple to pull it together or pluck somme feathers eith side with tweezers and use stery strips from chemist mate and talc over it ok? ye hope the pics ok m8 will photo stock and more soon as they clean up in moult m8 Wink 
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: To send or not to send!   To send or not to send! EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 11:17 am

hi andy, welcome to the site.........good advise from stew re the baby powder, but baking powder also works if you have any Very Happy study 
Back to top Go down
AndyH912
Chipping
Chipping
AndyH912

PostSubject: Re: To send or not to send!   To send or not to send! EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 1:45 pm

Thanks for the advise David. I know this sounds stupid bit I presume you use the power after it is all sown up?
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: To send or not to send!   To send or not to send! EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 2:17 pm

if you use the baby/baking powder it dries the cut up and helps it heal better, probably helps it to scab over......you can buy wound powder from the vets, doing it with baby/baking powder saves you some money.......cheers 
Back to top Go down
AndyH912
Chipping
Chipping
AndyH912

PostSubject: Re: To send or not to send!   To send or not to send! EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 2:36 pm

Oh right I understand now thanks
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: To send or not to send!   To send or not to send! EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 10:24 pm

Your youngsters have done plenty having 4 races, put them to bed and have more fun next year with them.
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: To send or not to send!   To send or not to send! EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 10:24 pm

I have stopped mine this year after 4 races and only 165 miles, they will be better next year, some people love yb racing and go every race, I hate it and think we loose our best birds racing ybs every year, its a schooling time for them as they have the rest of their lives to race not just 1 year.
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: To send or not to send!   To send or not to send! EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 11:28 pm

Rudderfett wrote:
I have stopped mine this year after 4 races and only 165 miles, they will be better next year, some people love yb racing and go every race, I hate it and think we loose our best birds racing ybs every year, its a schooling time for them as they have the rest of their lives to race not just 1 year.
Will second that Martyn
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To send or not to send!   To send or not to send! Empty

Back to top Go down

To send or not to send!
Page 1 of 1