Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
advice for starting up. Emptyby barnie Today at 10:41 am

» Good Morning
advice for starting up. Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 8:17 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
advice for starting up. Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:49 pm

» good luck weekend
advice for starting up. Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:30 pm

» escaped birds return
advice for starting up. Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:24 pm

» Scandalous .......
advice for starting up. Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
advice for starting up. Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
advice for starting up. Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:41 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
advice for starting up. Emptyby David Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:25 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) advice for starting up. 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 109 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 107 Guests :: 2 Bots

barnie, George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.advice for starting up. Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
advice for starting up. Vote_lcapadvice for starting up. Voting_baradvice for starting up. Vote_rcap 
David
advice for starting up. Vote_lcapadvice for starting up. Voting_baradvice for starting up. Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222605 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
advice for starting up. Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
advice for starting up. Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

advice for starting up.

Go down 
+2
Ginger
merrylegs
6 posters
AuthorMessage
merrylegs
Chipping
Chipping

advice for starting up. Empty
PostSubject: advice for starting up.   advice for starting up. EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 9:53 am

Hi, I am hoping to get some white homing pigeons. I have just started a pony ride business and we are having a pets corner  albino . I wanted a dove cote but when i looked into it I thought homing pigeons would be more interesting for the kids. We can go let them off and they can watch and time them coming home. Also thought might look into dove release for funerals (bit of money to pay for pets corner animals).
We was going to convert a lorry container 20ft by 10ft into an avery. We was also put the rabbits in aswell. We are hoping to do the rabbit s big runs eventually but this is just till the business gets going ,winter has been a struggle.  Crying or Very sad 
Would you think the container will be ok. confused  we will make them nesting boxes and perches. Dont know what size wire.I was looking at half inch welded mesh. I used 1inch on my chicken run.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: advice for starting up.   advice for starting up. EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 10:14 am

Hello Merrylegs as you was saying I think a lorry back would be ok but I think it would be too big to be able to catch the birds I would say put a partition about six foot wide so you would able to control them and I dont rabits would go with pigeons as I think they would think it was cats and as you no birds dont like cats good luck on your new childrens park it sounds good this jmo you will get some advice on here all I can say do what sought you.
Back to top Go down
merrylegs
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: advice for starting up.   advice for starting up. EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 11:37 am

Thank you Ginger,
Did not realise about the rabbits, or catching them. What wire do you have on yours  Question
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: advice for starting up.   advice for starting up. EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 12:39 pm

Yes I think smaller is better, if you have visitors looking at birds, then best for you is get some weaned babies and hand feed them so they are tame.
Racers and most pigeons can become super tame if treated right and handled often they will land on your head for treats like peanuts, so that's what I would do.
An 8x 6 shed is plenty and aviary makes them a bit wilder but is nice for the winter when your closed and they cant go out, but keep them tame, keep them slightly hungry and let them free.

Word of caution if your new to pigeons, every new starter makes the same mistake with pigeons, they keep food in a dish all day long, they don't need it.
Feed them only twice a day, keep to the times as close as you can, give them just enough so they still want more then stop and take it away.
You will get used to how much they will eat without being really full, or else they will be lazy, fat, lifeless and unhealthy and useless to you, believe me hungry pigeons are happy pigeons and you will get more fun out of them.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: advice for starting up.   advice for starting up. EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 12:58 pm

1/2 inch mesh is your best bet like rudd says 8x6 with a aviary on the front would be ideal for about 16 birds they need good air flow and plenty sun on their backs if you have the birds in to big a dwelling they will be wild and not very tame which takes all the fun out of keeping them atb
Back to top Go down
merrylegs
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: advice for starting up.   advice for starting up. EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 1:57 pm

Oh right I am new to pigeons, my brother had them when i was little, I use to sit in the shed with them feeding them out my hand. Sadly my brother no longer with us so cant ask him. Sad 
I was going to start of with 6 . Would I be able to let them free in the day for a few hours . Question 
What is the difference with keeping them in a loft  Question
Sorry for daft questions  confused 
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: advice for starting up.   advice for starting up. EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 5:05 pm

6 sounds good to start, A loft and a shed are basically the same thing, go on google images and put in pigeon loft and the pics on there might give you a few ideas.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: advice for starting up.   advice for starting up. EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 6:55 pm

if you get babies yes you will be able to let them out but if they are older birds then no ...best to start with babies but watch out for birds of prey I would not leave the birds alone until they are flying well
Back to top Go down
GRIZZLECOCK
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: advice for starting up.   advice for starting up. EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 9:08 pm

merrylegs wrote:
Hi, I am hoping to get some white homing pigeons. I have just started a pony ride business and we are having a pets corner  albino . I wanted a dove cote but when i looked into it I thought homing pigeons would be more interesting for the kids. We can go let them off and they can watch and time them coming home. Also thought  might look into dove release for funerals (bit of money to pay for pets corner animals).
We was going to convert a lorry container 20ft by 10ft into an avery. We was also put the rabbits in aswell. We are hoping to do the rabbit s big runs eventually but this is just till the business gets going ,winter has been a struggle.  Crying or Very sad 
Would you think the container will be ok. confused  we will make them nesting boxes and perches. Dont know what size wire.I was looking at half inch welded mesh. I used 1inch on my chicken run.  Very Happy 

White racers.white fantails,rabbits.....keep them very clean and try not to feed them yourself,just buy farm corn ect..spent 1/2 hour every day putting half handful in little paper bags you make up yourself...sell these to the mothers and kids.....you will make 10 times the profit...and your visitors pay to feed your animals...jesus christ you should be paying us for this imformation sunshine Wink
Back to top Go down
merrylegs
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: advice for starting up.   advice for starting up. EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 9:14 pm

lol! Great all the advice , thank you. You can come and have a pony ride
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: advice for starting up.   advice for starting up. EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 10:41 pm

merrylegs wrote:
 lol! Great all the advice , thank you. You can come and have a pony ride

Poor old pony !!!!  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wink Wink if some of us tubby ones here  lol! lol! lol! turned up for a free ride.  cheers 
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: advice for starting up.   advice for starting up. EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 11:25 pm

lol! lol! lol! could just be the straw that broke the camels back  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: advice for starting up.   advice for starting up. EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 1:19 am

oldstrain wrote:
lol! lol! lol! could just be the straw that broke the camels back  Laughing 

Could be O/S  Smile Smile I'm 6ft & 17 stone plus "True" & I suspect  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes if I just happened to jump on the poor old pony etc my leg's would be dragging along the ground as we trotted to the starting post.  cheers 
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: advice for starting up.   advice for starting up. EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 7:45 am

Laughing Laughing Laughing 
Back to top Go down
merrylegs
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: advice for starting up.   advice for starting up. EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 10:17 pm

Well knackered I think you could give the pony a ride Laughing 
I have got some big horses ,one is a shire cross ,so you will be fine. lol! 
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: advice for starting up.   advice for starting up. EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 11:51 pm

merrylegs wrote:
Well knackered I think you could give the pony a ride Laughing 
I have got some big horses ,one is a shire cross ,so you will be fine. lol! 

Good girl  lol!lol! lol! Smile Smile Book me a plane trip etc & I will put them all to the test of endurance Wink Wink I suspect.
Nice to have you on board here Merrylegs bounce bounce  passing on your humour. cheers
Back to top Go down
merrylegs
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: advice for starting up.   advice for starting up. EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 8:16 pm

Well thank you,  Very Happy 
I am enjoying this site,nice group and great advice learning something everyday  study , Like how Im going to fry my pigeons on the power lines scratch 
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: advice for starting up.   advice for starting up. EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 8:30 pm

merrylegs wrote:
Well thank you,  Very Happy 
I am enjoying this site,nice group and great advice learning something everyday  study , Like how Im going to fry my pigeons on the power lines scratch 

Unfortunately Merrylegs  Smile Smile at times ????  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad you may not have much to fry etc.  cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: advice for starting up.   advice for starting up. Empty

Back to top Go down

advice for starting up.
Page 1 of 1