Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Checking Eggs,,,? Emptyby oldstrain Today at 2:00 pm

» Good Morning
Checking Eggs,,,? Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 8:17 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Checking Eggs,,,? Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:49 pm

» good luck weekend
Checking Eggs,,,? Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:30 pm

» escaped birds return
Checking Eggs,,,? Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:24 pm

» Scandalous .......
Checking Eggs,,,? Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
Checking Eggs,,,? Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
Checking Eggs,,,? Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:41 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Checking Eggs,,,? Emptyby David Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:25 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Checking Eggs,,,? 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 89 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 88 Guests :: 2 Bots

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Checking Eggs,,,? Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Checking Eggs,,,? Vote_lcapChecking Eggs,,,? Voting_barChecking Eggs,,,? Vote_rcap 
David
Checking Eggs,,,? Vote_lcapChecking Eggs,,,? Voting_barChecking Eggs,,,? Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222607 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Checking Eggs,,,? Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Checking Eggs,,,? Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Checking Eggs,,,?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tony P
Chipping
Chipping
Tony P

Checking Eggs,,,? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Eggs,,,?   Checking Eggs,,,? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 11:29 am

Can I ask you all is it the hens that hit you with their wings when checking on the nest/eggs I have noticed this in a few of my birds and the other birds dont seem to mind you looking in and checking them.
Also how often do you check the nest/eggs once they have laid the 2 eggs?
Thanks for your help cheers 
Tony
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Checking Eggs,,,? Empty
PostSubject: Checking Eggs,,,?   Checking Eggs,,,? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 12:36 pm

hi tony, as you say sometimes the parents let you check the eggs, but I would say if they attack you defending the nest/eggs, then it could be either a cock or a hen......also personally once the eggs are laid I never touch eggs or check them, I just leave the parents/eggs alone until the ybs hatch and are approx. 7 days old to ring them.

I know some people do check the eggs after approx. a week by holding them up to the light to see if they are fertile, but I don't bother, I don't see the point in disturbing them......JMO
Back to top Go down
Tony P
Chipping
Chipping
Tony P

Checking Eggs,,,? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Eggs,,,?   Checking Eggs,,,? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 12:46 pm

Again David thanks for the info mate, I think now I will stop checking them and just let them get on with it but I always want to have a look to see how their doing, do you write any info down to keep a check on the dates laid or hatching should I be doing this ? cheers 
Tony
Back to top Go down
seanl
Youngbird
Youngbird

Checking Eggs,,,? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Eggs,,,?   Checking Eggs,,,? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 9:28 pm

David wrote:
hi tony, as you say sometimes the parents let you check the eggs, but I would say if they attack you defending the nest/eggs, then it could be either a cock or a hen......also personally once the eggs are laid I never touch eggs or check them, I just leave the parents/eggs alone until the ybs hatch and are approx. 7 days old to ring them.

I know some people do check the eggs after approx. a week by holding them up to the light to see if they are fertile, but I don't bother, I don't see the point in disturbing them......JMO

good practice David but I do check old stock birds at 8 dys old in case they aint filled other wise just left as David says

sean
Back to top Go down
D J LOFTS
Chipping
Chipping
D J LOFTS

Checking Eggs,,,? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Eggs,,,?   Checking Eggs,,,? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 10:25 pm

we check all eggs at 12 days after being layed if not full we take the eggs out
Back to top Go down
Tony P
Chipping
Chipping
Tony P

Checking Eggs,,,? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Eggs,,,?   Checking Eggs,,,? EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 9:24 am

Thanks for all your help and tips with checking the eggs even people who have been involved in pigeons for a number of years do thing their own way which works for them so I will use some of your tips to help me along,
Thanks again cheers 
Tony
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Checking Eggs,,,? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Eggs,,,?   Checking Eggs,,,? EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 10:15 am

morning tony, as you can see opinions do differ from person to person, but I think most will agree that the least amount of disturbance the better........... Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Tony P
Chipping
Chipping
Tony P

Checking Eggs,,,? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Eggs,,,?   Checking Eggs,,,? EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 10:21 am

David wrote:
morning tony, as you can see opinions do differ from person to person, but I think most will agree that the least amount of disturbance the better........... Very Happy 
Good morning David, Yes I think your right there mate am nowwoundring if me looking in to many time is the course of the problem with the young birds not surviving early on. But from now on I will keep my checking to a minimum if I can stop myself from looking lol! 
Tony
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Checking Eggs,,,? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Eggs,,,?   Checking Eggs,,,? EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 10:33 am

in answer to your question re notes tony......yes I think it is a good idea to make notes as to when the eggs are laid and when they hatch....this will maybe help you to keep your checking to a minimum.

the second egg is laid a day apart from the first egg, for example if the 1st egg is laid on the 10th feb, then the second will be laid on the 12th feb.......an I always count 19 days from when the 1st egg is laid to them both hatching, I know some do work on 18 days etc but I stick to 19 because they don't actually incubate until the 2nd egg is laid, they just cover it.

ive usually found that when the ybs are ready to ring the parents seem to a bit more relaxed about coming off the nest, so this means you can see them without actually pushing the parent off the nest to look.

as a rough guide to ringing do it around 6, 7, or maybe 8 days at the most depending on the size of the ybs as some grow quicker then others.... Razz 
Back to top Go down
Tony P
Chipping
Chipping
Tony P

Checking Eggs,,,? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Eggs,,,?   Checking Eggs,,,? EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 12:50 pm

Again David thanks for the info you have given me so far every little helps I have noticed when I 1st put the ring on th chick the next day it was off then the same the next day but finaly got it to stay on Laughing 
They are very good tips and I will now start using them I'll be getting myself a knote book and start putting dates of laying and due date of hatching (19 days on) then the ring date 6/7 days from there.
I'll also put the breeding pair ring numbers down too so I know where each chich has come from to help me out.
 cheers David,
Tony
Back to top Go down
Tony P
Chipping
Chipping
Tony P

Checking Eggs,,,? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Eggs,,,?   Checking Eggs,,,? EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 1:11 pm

(good practice David but I do check old stock birds at 8 dys old in case they aint filled other wise just left as David says) SEANL

Hi Sean, how can you tell if the egg if filled, is it just by holding it up to the light???
If its not filled after 8 days how will I know this??
Cheers,
Tony

Back to top Go down
Tony P
Chipping
Chipping
Tony P

Checking Eggs,,,? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Eggs,,,?   Checking Eggs,,,? EmptyThu May 08, 2014 9:00 am

Hi All, just a update, 4 week old chick is coming on realy well made up with it and its progress so far, the Hen (mother) has laid 2 eggs in the same nest but all fine upto now.
The other eggs are now starting to hatch out I stoped checking on them but had a little look at all 5 nest pans today, 1 chick has hatched out looks like either yesterday or today others with fingers crossed should start hatching out all this week. I AM A VERY HAPPY MAN Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 
Tony
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Checking Eggs,,,? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Eggs,,,?   Checking Eggs,,,? EmptyThu May 08, 2014 11:10 am

excellent news tony, you can usually take a quick look if/when the parents are fed......sometimes they will leave them just for a minute which is enough time just to glance at them to check if they are all ok... other than that, usually when they are around 7 days old and ready to ring, the parents tend to leave them a little longer to feed etc...so as you can see there are plenty of oppertunities to take a look without actually disturbing them  Very Happy cheers 
Back to top Go down
Tony P
Chipping
Chipping
Tony P

Checking Eggs,,,? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Eggs,,,?   Checking Eggs,,,? EmptyThu May 08, 2014 12:23 pm

Spot on David things are starting to look up mate but I think I have to THANK ALL on this site for the help and tips over the last few weeks helping me with the breeding of my birds I had to sit on my hand for a bit of late after what you all said but it has worked well for me so again a VERY BIG THANK YOU TO ALL ON THE SITE cheers cheers cheers 
Tony
Back to top Go down
Tony P
Chipping
Chipping
Tony P

Checking Eggs,,,? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Eggs,,,?   Checking Eggs,,,? EmptyFri May 09, 2014 9:30 am

Moring all, just another up date, I now have 2 chicks in 1 nest pan, 1 chick in another, 1 chick from the nest on the floor, 2 eggs but should hatch out tomorrow in another and the eggs with the 4 week old chick in are all fine.
Looking good so far,
Tony
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Checking Eggs,,,? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Eggs,,,?   Checking Eggs,,,? EmptyFri May 09, 2014 11:50 am

coming on nicely now tony, just make sure the parents have plenty of food and water .........I feed 3 times a day when I have ybs in the nest but some hopper feed (which is food always available) but this is down to what suits you.

apart from you ringing them approx. 7 days old, the parents will do the rest...... cheers 
Back to top Go down
Tony P
Chipping
Chipping
Tony P

Checking Eggs,,,? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Eggs,,,?   Checking Eggs,,,? EmptyFri May 09, 2014 12:38 pm

Thanks David I will have plenty of food and water mate thanks again for all your help,
Tony
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Checking Eggs,,,? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Checking Eggs,,,?   Checking Eggs,,,? Empty

Back to top Go down

Checking Eggs,,,?
Page 1 of 1