Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Changing Cocks and Hens Emptyby Knackered Today at 11:04 pm

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Changing Cocks and Hens Emptyby Knackered Today at 10:49 pm

» Good Morning
Changing Cocks and Hens Emptyby Knackered Today at 10:34 pm

» good luck weekend
Changing Cocks and Hens Emptyby Knackered Today at 10:30 pm

» escaped birds return
Changing Cocks and Hens Emptyby Knackered Today at 10:24 pm

» Scandalous .......
Changing Cocks and Hens Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
Changing Cocks and Hens Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
Changing Cocks and Hens Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Changing Cocks and Hens Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:25 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Changing Cocks and Hens 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 121 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 119 Guests :: 2 Bots

barnie, Knackered

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Changing Cocks and Hens Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Changing Cocks and Hens Vote_lcapChanging Cocks and Hens Voting_barChanging Cocks and Hens Vote_rcap 
David
Changing Cocks and Hens Vote_lcapChanging Cocks and Hens Voting_barChanging Cocks and Hens Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222602 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Changing Cocks and Hens Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Changing Cocks and Hens Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Changing Cocks and Hens

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Changing Cocks and Hens Empty
PostSubject: Changing Cocks and Hens   Changing Cocks and Hens EmptyWed May 18, 2016 10:21 am

As you may know, I am not racing this year as I have set 2016 aside to breed myself a new family of pigeons, from the stock birds I have.

I had a cock on loan which I put with one of my hens - That has now gone.

I put another cock and hen together which I don't want to breed from again.  Which I took 1 round from and have now separated.

I have also got a few more stock birds.  So now I have a full accompaniment of pigeons -  Six Cocks and Six Hens.

My question is:-

What is the procedure when wanting to swap stock birds around?

I have removed all the first round of youngsters from their parents and put them in a different area until my new young bird loft is finished (in a couple of weeks time).

I have two hens in a big crate, these are the two I want to Re-Pair.  How do I go about it please?

I have the two cocks I want the hens to go with, in their boxes - not locked in and the two hens waiting in the crate.

Where do I go from here?

I know you guys always have good advice and I await your replies.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Phil (blueskylofts)
Back to top Go down
http://www.philongold.net
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Changing Cocks and Hens   Changing Cocks and Hens EmptyWed May 18, 2016 11:13 am

hi phil, its always awkward when repairing pigeons when they are going to be in the same loft......(I think so anyway) I think you've done the right thing by separating them so that hopefully when you re-pair it should be easier.....I think what I would do is keep them separated for maybe a week or so (cocks and hens) then put the new hen in the box with the new cock........I would keep the cocks in the same box, and change the hens over......if you are using the plastic widowhood fronts I have sometimes used a spare plastic front as a divider so the cock and hen can see each other and not get into a fight, this might be what I would do first......alternatively put half a brick or a block of wood for the hen to get out of the way of the cock, if he becomes aggressive towards her.

let each pair out into the loft in turn, giving them chance to relax and get to know each other, and to know their box.

maybe someone with more experience than me can advise.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Changing Cocks and Hens   Changing Cocks and Hens EmptyWed May 18, 2016 11:24 am

blueskylofts wrote:
As you may know, I am not racing this year as I have set 2016 aside to breed myself a new family of pigeons, from the stock birds I have.

I put another cock and hen together which I don't want to breed from again.  Which I took 1 round from and have now separated.

I have also got a few more stock birds.  So now I have a full accompaniment of pigeons -  Six Cocks and Six Hens.

I have removed all the first round of youngsters from their parents and put them in a different area until my new young bird loft is finished (in a couple of weeks time).

I have two hens in a big crate, these are the two I want to Re-Pair.  How do I go about it please?

I have the two cocks I want the hens to go with, in their boxes - not locked in and the two hens waiting in the crate.

Where do I go from here?

Phil (blueskylofts)

I consider your trying to achieve too much too soon Phil Wink Wink your birds to me are in a continual shock mode  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes with all thats happening there in such a short time in your new loft. Could I suggest you just cut your losses & frustration for the time being & let them all well & truly settle in for next years breeding there & maybe just consider buying in a small team to give you an interest. cheers
Back to top Go down
redrog
Youngbird
Youngbird
redrog

PostSubject: Re: Changing Cocks and Hens   Changing Cocks and Hens EmptyWed May 18, 2016 11:52 am

did it earlier this year, did all that david says and more so just take your time and let the hen get "sexy" for that particular cock, I personally locked the hen in cellar overnight by herself, the nxt day presented her to cock who was locked in the box and left her to start showing, gotta take care of hen tho so don't rush it, hope it works out fella
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Changing Cocks and Hens   Changing Cocks and Hens EmptyWed May 18, 2016 12:22 pm

Knackered wrote:
blueskylofts wrote:

Where do I go from here?

Phil (blueskylofts)

I consider your trying to achieve too much too soon Phil Wink Wink your birds to me are in a continual shock mode  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes with all thats happening there in such a short time in your new loft. Could I suggest you just cut your losses & frustration for the time being & let them all well & truly settle in for next years breeding there & maybe just consider buying in a small team to give you an interest. cheers

Smile Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changing Cocks and Hens   Changing Cocks and Hens Empty

Back to top Go down

Changing Cocks and Hens
Page 1 of 1