Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Thoughts on feed Emptyby David Yesterday at 9:16 pm

» Good Morning
Thoughts on feed Emptyby David Yesterday at 2:48 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Thoughts on feed Emptyby David Yesterday at 1:35 pm

» APHA Forms .......
Thoughts on feed Emptyby David Fri May 17, 2024 11:38 am

» come join us
Thoughts on feed Emptyby David Thu May 16, 2024 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Thoughts on feed Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
Thoughts on feed Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Thoughts on feed Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
Thoughts on feed Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Thoughts on feed 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 28 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 28 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Thoughts on feed Resise10
Top posting users this week
No user
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1298 registered users
The newest registered user is Marcdvc11

Our users have posted a total of 222884 messages in 14007 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Thoughts on feed Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Thoughts on feed Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
Thoughts on feed Vote_lcapThoughts on feed Voting_barThoughts on feed Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Thoughts on feed

Go down 
+4
cowandchicken
oldstrain
David
Romedius
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 2:43 pm

I thought I would post a picture of our clubs custom mix. There is no data on the feed, other than were it is sourced. The guy that came up with the formula doesn't know the protein content,ect. What do you folks think? It is 17$USD a fifty pound bag. The richest I've mixed with it is 50% barley/mix. Are the peas, maple?Thoughts on feed 01151810

Gotta head to work but any insight would be appreciated Very Happy
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 2:51 pm

hi rom, I`m not clued up on mixes, I simply buy from the shop something which looks ok.....your mix looks ok to me, a bit of everything in it.

I`m sure members with greater knowledge than me will comment ...
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 3:27 pm

maple peas,maize ,dari,safflower,wheat not a lot of maize in that mix and nice maples too not the crinkled crap you get here and the quality of the grains in that mix in general looks good to me ...depends on what you want to do with the mix ok for ybs with some barley added but percentage would be down to training and exercise regime and come racing that's a different thing again but as a base mix its ok but would rather see more maize in it for racers jmo
Back to top Go down
cowandchicken
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 7:46 pm

It maybe the pic but it looks a very very basic resting mix. I wouldn't expect much of my birds feeding it. I like to have a lot of different seed to give the birds whatever they need.
If I remember right you said you birds are sometimes lazy and don't want to fly, could be the lack of energy there getting from the mix.
Is there some powder on it?
Are you looking at using it for racing?
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 8:53 pm

Looks ideal to add to when needed.
Back to top Go down
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 9:48 pm

Almost like a diet mix
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 12:16 am

cowandchicken wrote:
It maybe the pic but it looks a very very basic resting mix. I wouldn't expect much of my birds feeding it. I like to have a lot of different seed to give the birds whatever they need.
If I remember right you said you birds are sometimes lazy and don't want to fly, could be the lack of energy there getting from the mix.
Yes sir, I had problems with them being lazy on the mix. When I switched to 50/50 barley, and mix they started to range for an hour or so. Then when I put them on 100% barley, they would range out for 2 hours or more. And when they came back they would always be way up there. It is so confusing because I hear and read what you are saying, but the heavier the feed the worse performance I get? lol! Now I had a brief chance to talk to a flier who has won our western open a couple times. He told me to only give them 100% club mix when they are first weaned. Then switch to 50%barley added. He told me that he races all his birds on this. Short race or 600 miles, it doesn't matter,same mix.
I don't have powder on it, and as far as racing on it? Don't know yet lol! That's why I wanted you guys to look at it. I appreciate the insight. Always learning. scratch I did buy some flax seed to cut into the mix if needed.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 12:17 am

halcanada wrote:
Same, same Smile Smile Looks Ok for a basic survival mix etc. Mixes are never ending as such, do your head in Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes at times trying to decide which one to buy Wink Wink. for Rom Smile Smile his mix is a start I would suggest & he will tinker around over time with differant grains, if he is like most of us here.  cheers
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 12:19 am

Lofty wrote:
Almost like a diet mix

Thinking about maybe taking a sample to get analyzed. I picked up 400 pounds of the stuff unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 12:23 am

Knackered wrote:
halcanada wrote:
Same, same Smile Smile Looks Ok for a basic survival mix etc. Mixes are never ending as such, do your head in Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes at times trying to decide which one to buy Wink Wink. for Rom Smile Smile his mix is a start I would suggest & he will tinker around over time with differant grains, if he is like most of us here.  cheers

I'm going to call Noonkester yet ! I'll ask him too. I was told everybody races the wrstern open on that mix plus barley. I don't believe it though. Who knows what folks are really doing silent
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 12:35 am

Romedius wrote:
Knackered wrote:
halcanada wrote:

I'm going to call Noonkester yet !  I'll ask him too.  I was told everybody races the wrstern open on that mix plus barley.  I don't believe it though.  Who knows what folks are really doing silent
Please, don't become a non believer Rom Wink Wink about any issue in regards to pigeons etc Wink Wink as more than likely somewhere, some time you will be made to look a complete fool in the over all big picture as such Smile Smile. Take all advise as genuine, when given & just pick & choose those bits that will fit your situation there Smile Smile.
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 12:39 am

I'm actually made to be a complete fool often lol! lol! I hear what your saying though
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 12:53 am

Romedius wrote:
I'm actually made to be a complete fool often lol! lol!   I hear what your saying though
That's OK Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes first requirement here Rom Wink Wink if one wishes to join our forum etc lol! lol! lol! is to tick the fool box bounce bounce as a passage of entry.  cheers
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 1:45 am

Rom. By looking at the mix I will give you my analysis of it. 15 or 16% protien. Just add corn. Maize. 8%. Just experiment a little. Add more gradually. When your birds are flying TO YOUR SATISFACTION then stick with it. Then adjust as to breeding or whatever. Maize up or down. Depurative mix, breeding mix, long/short distance mix do not fall for the hype. Wild pigeons survive all winter. They breed survivors. They nest and have young. They moult. On whatever they can find to eat.
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 4:00 am

halcanada wrote:
Rom. By looking at the mix I will give you my analysis of it. 15 or 16% protien.  Just add corn. Maize. 8%. Just experiment a little. Add more gradually. When your birds are flying TO YOUR SATISFACTION then stick with it. Then adjust as to breeding or whatever. Maize up or down. Depurative mix, breeding mix, long/short distance mix do not fall for the hype. Wild pigeons survive all winter. They breed survivors. They nest and have young. They moult. On whatever they can find to eat.

Will do hal. I'll mess around with it.
Back to top Go down
cowandchicken
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 7:51 am

Rom, A well known corn brand did a study on what seeds do for birds and how they fly.
For the first hour they fly on sugars / carbs after that they switch over to fats for fuel.
If you Google a nutrition breakdown for seeds it will tell you which seeds are high in fats
Carbs sugars protein ect. this will help you when you start to play with or even make your
mix. Its all out there on the web just takes time to find.cheers
Back to top Go down
cowandchicken
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 8:00 am

A site called the pigeon insider has a good chart and collection of articles on feed to get you started. cheers
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 9:05 am

Romedius wrote:
cowandchicken wrote:
Yes sir, I had problems with them being lazy on the mix.  When I switched to 50/50 barley, and mix they started to range for an hour or so.  Then when I put them on 100% barley, they would range out for 2 hours or more.  And when they came back they would always be way up there.  It is so confusing because I hear and read what you are saying, but the heavier the feed the worse performance I get? lol! Now I had a brief chance to talk to a flier who has won our western open a couple times.  He told me to only give them 100% club mix when they are first weaned.  Then switch to 50%barley added.  He told me that he races all his birds on this.  Short race or 600 miles,  it doesn't matter,same mix.  
I don't have powder on it, and as far as racing on it?  Don't know yet lol!   That's why I wanted you guys to look at it.  I appreciate the insight.  Always learning. scratch  I did buy some flax seed to cut into the mix if needed.
One could say Rom Smile Smile you have answered your own query here etc Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes. Local wisdom. local knowledge bounce bounce tell's one it is a good all round mix you have there, especially if it gets birds home from 600 miles plus. cheers

Last edited by Knackered on Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 9:28 am

cowandchicken wrote:
A site called the pigeon insider has a good chart and collection of articles on feed to get you started. cheers
All good for the knowledge/wisdom factor I suggest CC Smile Smile. The all peas/beans men thou know Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes the science factor isn't every thing in pigeons as such Wink Wink.
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 11:46 am

cowandchicken wrote:

Bookmarked it..il have a better look at home
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 11:59 am

halcanada wrote:
Rom. By looking at the mix I will give you my analysis of it. 15 or 16% protien.  Just add corn. Maize. 8%. Just experiment a little. Add more gradually. When your birds are flying TO YOUR SATISFACTION then stick with it. Then adjust as to breeding or whatever. Maize up or down. Depurative mix, breeding mix, long/short distance mix do not fall for the hype. Wild pigeons survive all winter. They breed survivors. They nest and have young. They moult. On whatever they can find to eat.

yes needs more maize added for racers and a element of barley to ...enough protein in it by the looks of it though ,if you have bought a lot of it then just buy a few bags of maize ,barley or depurative preferably and conditioner and you can create what you want when you want ,more carbs or more fats etc...whenever you need to also buy some peas in for breeding nothings set in stone ask the weatherman Wink atb
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 1:10 pm

cowandchicken wrote:

I've tried that place, but it won't let me on unless I am a facebooker. I did happen to buy lots of maize also. Lots of barley too. When I went to the big city, I brought back a pallet + of feed. I'll play around with the feed. Thanks everybody
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 11:08 pm

Romedius wrote:
cowandchicken wrote:

I've tried that place, but it won't let me on unless I am a facebooker.   I did happen to buy lots of maize  also.   Lots of barley too.  When I went to the big city, I brought back a pallet + of feed. I'll play around with the feed.  Thanks everybody
The BIG city Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes what would that be Rom Smile Smile & how many miles in the trip to get there & back etc Wink Wink.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 11:15 pm

Romedius wrote:
cowandchicken wrote:

I've tried that place, but it won't let me on unless I am a facebooker.   I did happen to buy lots of maize  also.   Lots of barley too.  When I went to the big city, I brought back a pallet + of feed. I'll play around with the feed.  Thanks everybody
I know the feeling Rom Wink Wink. Some old f*rt here lol! lol! lol! from up Canada way etc Smile Smile is fore ever posting things here on facebook type of thing. All comes to nought for me here
unfortunately. cheers
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 11:27 pm

Knackered wrote:
Romedius wrote:
cowandchicken wrote:

The BIG city Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes what would that be Rom Smile Smile & how many miles in the trip to get there & back etc Wink Wink.

That would be bozeman. It is only 250 mile round trip, but over three passes. Not friendly in the winter if'n you know what I mean Mad I have a brother who is a home builder too. He is building a big place over there, and had to get a apartment.
That area is where most of our racers are. Gene Yoes lives in Emigrant. You should see the terrain he is racing to. Much like mine, but not as mountainous. lol!
Everybody else's birds can slip up broad valleys/highways. tongue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Thoughts on feed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on feed   Thoughts on feed Empty

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on feed
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next