Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» RPRA Partnerships
Deep litter no longer! Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 3:26 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Deep litter no longer! Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:36 pm

» Weather today
Deep litter no longer! Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 9:44 pm

» Good Morning
Deep litter no longer! Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 9:42 pm

» King removes Patronage
Deep litter no longer! Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
Deep litter no longer! Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Deep litter no longer! Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Deep litter no longer! Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
Deep litter no longer! Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Deep litter no longer! 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 38 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 38 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Deep litter no longer! Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Deep litter no longer! Vote_lcapDeep litter no longer! Voting_barDeep litter no longer! Vote_rcap 
David
Deep litter no longer! Vote_lcapDeep litter no longer! Voting_barDeep litter no longer! Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222780 messages in 14005 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Deep litter no longer! Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Deep litter no longer! Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Deep litter no longer!

Go down 
+5
MISTY
oldstrain
fieldwalker
David
halcanada
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Deep litter no longer! Empty
PostSubject: Deep litter no longer!   Deep litter no longer! EmptyFri Mar 02, 2018 12:30 am

Will now refer to it as 'heavy floor dressing'. Scrape and clean is 'no floor dressing' in betweeners (who throw down a little straw) partial dressing, (as over short period of time works as heavy dressing does) I would assume. Whats in a name?
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Deep litter no longer!   Deep litter no longer! EmptyFri Mar 02, 2018 8:56 am

just scraped floors with floor whitener for me now, got rid of horse bedding, horrible stuff......
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

PostSubject: Re: Deep litter no longer!   Deep litter no longer! EmptyFri Mar 02, 2018 11:29 am

Yeah it trails all over the place
Sticks to your feet anawl Sad
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Deep litter no longer!   Deep litter no longer! EmptyFri Mar 02, 2018 11:44 am

just use sand now anything else is too messy and gets to dusty ...sieve the sand once per week its about 2 inch deep
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Deep litter no longer!   Deep litter no longer! EmptyFri Mar 02, 2018 2:01 pm

Never changed the sand and lime deep litter for over 40 years, in fact moved it from one loft to another during that time, used and maintained properly I think
it could only be of benefit long term towards the health of our feathered friends

Just as important is the ventilation and the only way this can be achieved is to have the same conditions inside the loft as outside, with the proviso that it is protected from rain, and other adverse conditions.

Clinical conditions have a lot to answer for, think natural and you will be on the right lines.

You can achieve short term win with long term detriment.

Buy a top range car and use higher octane fuel than recommended and seehow longi lasts.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

PostSubject: Re: Deep litter no longer!   Deep litter no longer! EmptyFri Mar 02, 2018 6:58 pm

Has to be a clean floor for me every time scrap out twice a day
Back to top Go down
jet2013uk
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Deep litter no longer!   Deep litter no longer! EmptyFri Mar 02, 2018 7:20 pm

Clean floors for me as well pal scrape out twice a day Like I said before With deep letter if you've got a problem and the bird shit on the floor The problem is still on the floor Even though you've Cured your pigeons But that's just my Opinion I know that everybody can clean them out twice a day through illnesses and problems
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Deep litter no longer!   Deep litter no longer! EmptyFri Mar 02, 2018 7:32 pm

When I raced with my dad always had deep litter cleaned out once a week, but meet Billy O'Neil of Dudley Port he scraped out everyday just lime on the perches and floor

Then you had Roy Harris of Bilston never cleaned his loft for over 30 years and was a brilliant flyer at all distances but liked the distance better

When I saw Bill's loft and the condition off his birds it took me a few weeks to get my father the remove the deep litter but when he did remove the deep litter the cleaning of the loft was done everyday and took just minutes and not over an hour +

So clean floors for me lads plus you can see any problems with the birds when you have nothing on the floor or perches but deep litter soaks everything up
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

PostSubject: Re: Deep litter no longer!   Deep litter no longer! EmptyFri Mar 02, 2018 8:46 pm

scrape x2 in the racing season study
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Deep litter no longer!   Deep litter no longer! EmptyFri Mar 02, 2018 11:05 pm

MISTY wrote:
Never changed the sand and lime deep litter for over 40 years, in fact moved it from one loft to another during that time, used and maintained properly I think
it could only be of benefit long term towards the health of our feathered friends

Just as important is the ventilation and the only way this  can be achieved is to have the same conditions inside the loft as outside, with the proviso that it is protected from rain, and other adverse conditions.

Clinical  conditions have a lot to answer for, think natural and you will be on the right lines.

You can achieve short term win with long term detriment.

Buy a top range car and use higher octane fuel than recommended and seehow longi lasts.

Regards.

True about the ventilation bit Misty Smile Smile in regards to the deep litter scenario I suggest. Can be blowing a gale here outside, but rare to see dust blowing around in my loft as such & one must also remember Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  I have been an asthmatic type of bloke, for 50 odd years. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Deep litter no longer!   Deep litter no longer! EmptyFri Mar 02, 2018 11:37 pm

My loft was open fronted from top to bottom, the main one, and protected from direct weather by an open ended corridor the full length of the loft, no rain or anything else other than good clean air could get in.

Sorry to hear about your breathing problem as I know what it is like having pigeon lung myself but was caused I feel by the pigeons being in first class condition all the time and the bloom caused the problem.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Deep litter no longer!   Deep litter no longer! EmptyFri Mar 02, 2018 11:55 pm

MISTY wrote:
My loft was open fronted from top to bottom, the main one, and protected from direct weather by an open ended corridor the full length of the loft, no rain or anything else other than good clean air could get in.

Sorry to hear about your breathing problem as I know what it is like having pigeon lung myself  but was caused I feel by the pigeons being in first class condition all the time and the bloom caused the problem.

Regards.
Don't worry about my health issues Misty  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes I split half a tonne of wood yesterday  bounce  bounce for my fire in winter etc here  Wink  Wink. Was I must say  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes completely knackered after-wards thou  lol!  lol!  lol! but a huff & a puff  Wink  Wink on my turbo charged inhaler  Smile  Smile & I was like a bull in a china shop once again   lol!  lol! Smile  Smile. Now,  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  I'm  affraid a wee bit of a cock up by me here Misty. Mist the quote bit, half a mile away at the end of your post here  Wink  Wink & so please show some sympathy to another old fella  Smile  Smile with how this post turns out.

Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Deep litter no longer!   Deep litter no longer! EmptySat Mar 03, 2018 1:36 am

"My loft was open fronted from top to bottom, the main one, and protected from direct weather by an open ended corridor the full length of the loft, no rain or anything else other than good clean air could get in.

Sorry to hear about your breathing problem as I know what it is like having pigeon lung myself but was caused I feel by the pigeons being in first class condition all the time and the bloom caused the problem. "
Contradiction in assumption. How can the birds be healthy and you not? Same environment!
Maybe 40 years of deep litter?
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Deep litter no longer!   Deep litter no longer! EmptySat Mar 03, 2018 10:40 am

Me thinks very silly reply.

How many examples do you want of animals being ill and the owner not and visa versa.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Knackered   Deep litter no longer! EmptySat Mar 03, 2018 10:56 am

Until recently I used the Library computer and could get advice, I got a Lap Top and the thing has a mind of it's own.

Would be better to go back to the 50s and have some basic fun rather than a load of virtual reality.

The present generation have no real idea of life, just virtual reality.

What a pity.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

PostSubject: Re: Deep litter no longer!   Deep litter no longer! EmptySat Mar 03, 2018 11:09 am

Yeah but its 2018 not 1960s....Last of the Summer Wine..was a good programe but even that ran its course and was time to move on.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Deep litter no longer!   Deep litter no longer! EmptySat Mar 03, 2018 11:12 am

"progress" as they call it, isn't always for the best though.........each day, the world gets worse in a lot of ways. it doesn't seem to get better.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Deep litter no longer!   Deep litter no longer! EmptySat Mar 03, 2018 11:19 am

if misty used sand then I don't think his condition is down to the litter as it don't harbour dust like wood chips etc...try it you will see for yourself I been using sand since the summer much better than woodchips Very Happy as for not seeing birds droppings by using deep litter well you can by the boxes and perches the birds all keep the same box or perch so its not difficult to know a problem has arised and if so the litter is changed ,so far not had to do this ...there is a place for deep litter if used correctly with the correct material jmo
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

PostSubject: Re: Deep litter no longer!   Deep litter no longer! EmptySat Mar 03, 2018 11:26 am

But it happens and will continue...birds get faster boundary's pushed.
Look how may international winners they are now compared to the good old days. study
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Deep litter no longer!   Deep litter no longer! EmptySat Mar 03, 2018 1:13 pm

fieldwalker wrote:
Yeah but its 2018 not 1960s....Last of the Summer Wine..was a good programe but even that ran its course and was time to move on.

Brilliant programme Last of the Summer Wine love watching it
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Deep litter no longer!   Deep litter no longer! EmptySat Mar 03, 2018 1:17 pm

probably because there are more international races to enter, ive read topics in the past about "are birds faster/ better now than in the past" and its a split opinion, basically because you cant say which is better or faster, there is not proof of anything either way..... No No

one thing I do know in the pigeon fancy, there is too much bickering and arguing over theories and opinions, I joined a club to race my birds, not to make friends, or enemies....but having said that, I do realise everyone has their own opinion and thoughts, and if that's how they want to do things, then its no business of mine.......yes if they are trying to force their notions upon me I will tell them they are talking sh*t, but otherwise, leave them to it.
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

PostSubject: Re: Deep litter no longer!   Deep litter no longer! EmptySat Mar 03, 2018 1:19 pm

Aye i agree Razz i dont like chocolate pigeons...but if anyone is misguided and deluded in there beleive thats thats upto them to learn their error of there ways..(joke) clown
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Deep litter no longer!   Deep litter no longer! EmptySat Mar 03, 2018 10:42 pm

Of course I always cleaned the perches and put a sprinkling of lime on them just as I said 35 years ago in an article in the BHW, I would have thought it was obvious that you would have to clean the perches.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Deep litter no longer!   Deep litter no longer! EmptySat Mar 03, 2018 10:53 pm

As for things getting better now than the 60s.

There was threats from bows and arrows in comparison to today when at any time a nut case can press the wrong button.

Every day you read about young kids killing themselves for one reason or another, murder is just a daily occurance, poverty still exists in many places, much of the worlds population is living below a acceptable level, it is getting dubious wether to go into heavily populated spaces and you are not safe on the roads,

Drugs are a menace and costing the NHS millions by self imposed problems.

As for our sport, if anyone thinks there is the same enjoyment as in the 60s it's because they never experienced what I did.

I believe entirely in what nature dictates and not in ROBOTS.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Deep litter no longer!   Deep litter no longer! EmptySun Mar 04, 2018 1:22 am

Never clean perches here. They are 1 inch by 3 inch. No place for them to crap on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deep litter no longer!   Deep litter no longer! Empty

Back to top Go down

Deep litter no longer!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next