Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Young Bird Feeding. Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 9:05 am

» Weather today
Young Bird Feeding. Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 7:42 am

» King removes Patronage
Young Bird Feeding. Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
Young Bird Feeding. Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Young Bird Feeding. Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Young Bird Feeding. Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
Young Bird Feeding. Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
Young Bird Feeding. Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
Young Bird Feeding. Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Young Bird Feeding. 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 60 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 60 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Young Bird Feeding. Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Young Bird Feeding. Vote_lcapYoung Bird Feeding. Voting_barYoung Bird Feeding. Vote_rcap 
David
Young Bird Feeding. Vote_lcapYoung Bird Feeding. Voting_barYoung Bird Feeding. Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222765 messages in 14003 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Young Bird Feeding. Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Young Bird Feeding. Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Young Bird Feeding.

Go down 
+6
barnie
markevans
fieldwalker
redrog
oldstrain
David
10 posters
AuthorMessage
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Young Bird Feeding. Empty
PostSubject: Young Bird Feeding.   Young Bird Feeding. EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 11:09 am

weaning 12 ybs this week, can members post up what they are / will be feeding their ybs on once weaned, and what they will be training / racing them on.......I`m going to feed on Gerry plus at some point, but not sure if its a good idea to wean them onto it. Question Question
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Young Bird Feeding.   Young Bird Feeding. EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 12:06 pm

always wean mine on the breeding mix I have been using for at least a week then onto junior plus ic versel laga ....personally I don't like gerry plus for ybs its all carbs really and the popcorn maize is hard to digest I think theirs about 10% protein in Gerry ...maybe ok when the ybs are starting to train etc...as they will have done most their growing but to be honest I would rather use a more balanced mix
Back to top Go down
redrog
Youngbird
Youngbird
redrog

PostSubject: Re: Young Bird Feeding.   Young Bird Feeding. EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 1:00 pm

mine go over on to breed&wean for short time then on to liege until they start flying/training, will race them on subliem only.
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

PostSubject: Re: Young Bird Feeding.   Young Bird Feeding. EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 6:31 pm

agree with os, don't want them on a racing mix yet still want higher protein content bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

PostSubject: Re: Young Bird Feeding.   Young Bird Feeding. EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 6:42 pm

When I'm ready this season mine will be on a 50/50 mix of bamfords premier gold and multi task for the first couple of weeks then 100% multi task easily digested then when flying well 100% young bird popcorn mix don't want anything left in them in the mornings but they will get as much as they like in the evening
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: Young Bird Feeding.   Young Bird Feeding. EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 6:44 pm

Hi David, personally I would keep them on pretty much what their parents have been feeding them. Changing their diet overnight to a totally different feed might cause all sorts of problems in their guts. Gradually change it over time, but if they're robust and thriving right now I'd leave well alone until they're up on the wing for a few weeks.
Back to top Go down
morb
Chipping
Chipping
morb

PostSubject: Re: Young Bird Feeding.   Young Bird Feeding. EmptyThu Mar 08, 2018 12:33 am

i feed all my birds turkey grower pellets and add oat groats to adjust protein to whatever i need it at, also add corn, maple peas and peanuts to adjust for different seasons or training etc.
young ones usually get straight turkey grower for the first little while then add the other grains accordingly
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Young Bird Feeding.   Young Bird Feeding. EmptyThu Mar 08, 2018 12:44 am

Turkey grower pellets are good. So are chick grower if pelleted. If crumbles too much waste. No grit needed. My opinion is this. The easier it is for the young birds to digest their feed the better. Big switch when weaned from semi digested food from their parents to hard to digest beans or peas. I use a lot of Safflower and brown rice plus. Some peanuts also. But again, any feeding system will work to some extent. As with everything to do with pigeons. It is a matter of observation. Wether racing feeding or whatever. Many fanciers have a feeding regime, flying and training regime they stick to. Because it works for them. May not work for others.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Young Bird Feeding.   Young Bird Feeding. EmptyThu Mar 08, 2018 7:54 am

It takes all sorts and there are many roads to Rome.

For years I never bothered about chop and change, I used farm beans and peas along with dog tooth maize until the fancy mixtures came out with seed from the harvesters etc; (when available) and got out of the pigeons everything I wanted.

Linseed and other small seeds around moulting time.

For the past 40 years I have used exactly the same feed every day of the year with more linseed added at moulting time.

I get a bag of young bird mix with maize, a bag of trapping mix, a small bag of linseed, a small bag of hemp, a reasonable bag of peanuts and mix the latter ones up,

The pigeons got an equal amount of each every day of the year, racing rearing resting and they never let me down/

Choping and changing is not conjusive to any animals constitution.

As I said, it takes all sorts but you cannot beat factswith theory.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Young Bird Feeding.   Young Bird Feeding. EmptyThu Mar 08, 2018 9:19 am

MISTY wrote:
It takes all sorts and there are many roads to Rome.

For years I never bothered about chop and change, I used farm beans and peas  along with dog tooth maize until the fancy mixtures came out with seed from the harvesters etc; (when available) and got out of the pigeons everything I wanted.

Linseed and other small seeds around moulting time.

For the past 40 years I have used exactly the same feed every day of the year with more linseed added at moulting time.

I get a bag of young bird mix with maize, a bag of trapping mix, a small bag of linseed, a small bag of hemp, a reasonable bag of peanuts and mix the latter ones up,

The pigeons got an equal amount of each every day of the year, racing rearing resting and they never let me down/

Choping and changing is not conjusive to any animals constitution.

As I said, it takes all sorts but  you cannot beat factswith theory.

Regards.

Very Happy Very Happy Blow your mind at times Misty Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes unfortunately I'm  affraid when you see what some say you must do to be successful with a 7 day feeding regime etc  Smile  Smile for our birds. Differant magic mix every day type of thing Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Need a university type degree at times Wink Wink to try & understand some of the waffle certain people put out there as what is required for success as such. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Young Bird Feeding.   Young Bird Feeding. EmptyThu Mar 08, 2018 5:31 pm

Knackered,

Always looked at our sport like a car, you cannot see whats under the bonnet from looking at it, you can use the fuel recommended and if all are using it the best driver will win, put high octane fuel in and for a very short time you will have an advantage but ruin the car , but hey, you can always buy a new car and sell the ruined one based on WINS.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Young Bird Feeding.   Young Bird Feeding. EmptyThu Mar 08, 2018 6:31 pm

MISTY wrote:
Knackered,

Always looked at our sport like a car, you cannot see whats under the bonnet from looking at it, you can use the fuel recommended and if all are using it the best driver will win, put high octane fuel in and for a very short time you will have an advantage but ruin the car , but hey, you can always buy a new car and sell the ruined one based on WINS.

Regards.

interesting analogy misty .......... study
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Young Bird Feeding.   Young Bird Feeding. EmptyFri Mar 09, 2018 4:18 pm

went for corn yesterday, hey didn't have my usual gem breeding with pellets, so I bought a couple of bags of versele laga premium breed and wean, opened it this morning and it looks quite a decent mix, no maize tho`.....its uite a mix o seeds, including small seeds, not sure if its any good or not but I`m planning on feeding my ybs on it still, when weaned.

anyone know the mix, or used it...?
Back to top Go down
redrog
Youngbird
Youngbird
redrog

PostSubject: Re: Young Bird Feeding.   Young Bird Feeding. EmptyFri Mar 09, 2018 5:37 pm

like i said mine have this while still with parents and they pick at it from about 15days, go straight on to it from parting, never had any problems with it david, i put them on to v/l liege after 10 days or so which is again no maize but a lot heavier mix.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Young Bird Feeding.   Young Bird Feeding. Empty

Back to top Go down

Young Bird Feeding.
Page 1 of 1