Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Reducing Numbers.... Emptyby oldstrain Today at 12:21 pm

» Weather today
Reducing Numbers.... Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 12:09 pm

» King removes Patronage
Reducing Numbers.... Emptyby oldstrain Today at 11:04 am

» York Road & District Results 2024
Reducing Numbers.... Emptyby David Yesterday at 1:35 pm

» APHA Forms .......
Reducing Numbers.... Emptyby David Fri May 17, 2024 11:38 am

» come join us
Reducing Numbers.... Emptyby David Thu May 16, 2024 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Reducing Numbers.... Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
Reducing Numbers.... Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Reducing Numbers.... Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Reducing Numbers.... 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 24 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 23 Guests :: 1 Bot

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Reducing Numbers.... Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Reducing Numbers.... Vote_lcapReducing Numbers.... Voting_barReducing Numbers.... Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
Reducing Numbers.... Vote_lcapReducing Numbers.... Voting_barReducing Numbers.... Vote_rcap 
David
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1298 registered users
The newest registered user is Marcdvc11

Our users have posted a total of 222893 messages in 14007 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Reducing Numbers.... Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Reducing Numbers.... Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Reducing Numbers....

Go down 
+4
Don Webb
friendsloft
oldstrain
David
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Reducing Numbers.... Empty
PostSubject: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... EmptySat Sep 15, 2018 5:30 pm

after a lot of thought, ive decided I need to reduce numbers of birds I keep, as most will know, I bought some Caudwell van reets a couple of years ago, but thinking about it I bought a few too many as I already had some pretty decent janssens, which had raced well over the years and had bred some decent birds for other fanciers.........so seeing ive probably got a lot more janssens than I`ll ever need, ive decided to let some of them go, so if any member would like to give a pair or two a go, to breed off next season either post up here or message me.

the janssens are hofken based originally, bought at auction in 1986, with a few introductions along the way.....they are still taking some decent/acceptable positions in the mnfc.

the birds are heavily in the moult, that's why im letting them go now, otherwise I wont want to once they have their new feathers and looking nice lol!
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... EmptySat Sep 15, 2018 5:38 pm

great offer david I know these are holding their own in the mnfc
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... EmptySat Sep 15, 2018 5:40 pm

yes Darren ybs are just privately trained, not raced in a club.........then jumped into the two mnfc yb races over the channel , and done good.
Back to top Go down
friendsloft
Youngbird
Youngbird
friendsloft

PostSubject: Re: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... EmptySat Sep 15, 2018 6:09 pm

Ive had a pair of these jansenns of David one the hen raced very well in club and fed and are well worth giving a try the hen also bred me prize winners
Ken
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/friendsloft/index.htm
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... EmptySat Sep 15, 2018 6:13 pm

Great offer David come on lads fill your boots
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... EmptySat Sep 15, 2018 6:13 pm

friendsloft wrote:
Ive had a pair of these jansenns of David one the hen raced very well in club and fed and are well worth giving a try the hen also bred me prize winners
Ken

thanks for the info ken, good to see you on the forum, hows racing being going for you ....?
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... EmptySat Sep 15, 2018 6:14 pm

Don Webb wrote:
Great offer David come on lads fill your boots

don, you watching boxing tonight ...?
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... EmptySat Sep 15, 2018 6:17 pm

No mate wont pay to watch boxing, should be free to watch
Back to top Go down
friendsloft
Youngbird
Youngbird
friendsloft

PostSubject: Re: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... EmptySat Sep 15, 2018 6:19 pm

Dont ask ive never known a season like it couldent wait for it to finish never lost so many birds bred 36 younguns finished with 6 lost 12 old birds on channel but im not the only one this year
Ken
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... EmptySat Sep 15, 2018 6:20 pm

Don Webb wrote:
No mate wont pay to watch boxing, should be free to watch

no me neither don, but hope to get it on the apple tv for free......... Suspect
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... EmptySat Sep 15, 2018 6:23 pm

Hope you do mate, problem for me Im not computer minded with all the live streams everyone talks about

Live Streams to me are what you fish lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... EmptySat Sep 15, 2018 6:23 pm

friendsloft wrote:
Dont ask ive never known a season like it couldent wait for it to finish never lost so many birds bred 36 younguns finished with 6 lost 12 old birds on channel but im not the only one this year
Ken

seems everyone was the same ken, all ive heard and read is fanciers having bad races and big losses.......surely it cant be all down to bops/hawks etc, I`m thinking clashes have been a major factor in losses, I could be wrong but I`m thinking it is.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... EmptySat Sep 15, 2018 6:24 pm

Don Webb wrote:
Hope you do mate, problem for me Im not computer minded with all the live streams everyone talks about

lol! I`m sure you`d get the hang of it don, its only like using the remote on the tv
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... EmptySat Sep 15, 2018 6:26 pm

David wrote:
Don Webb wrote:

lol!  I`m sure you`d get the hang of it don, its only like using the remote on the tv

Trust me David i'm completely crap at technology mate scratch scratch scratch
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... EmptySat Sep 15, 2018 6:27 pm

who do you thinks gona win don, I hope ggg wins........ cheers
Back to top Go down
friendsloft
Youngbird
Youngbird
friendsloft

PostSubject: Re: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... EmptySat Sep 15, 2018 6:31 pm

David this is just my thoughts on losses my veiw is there as been something in the atmosphere effecting the homing ability every man women boyand girl has a mobile phone just think of all the radio waves in the air at any given time yes there as always been losses but not on this scale
Ken
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... EmptySat Sep 15, 2018 6:35 pm

and the losses seem to be getting heavier every year I think ken.......
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... EmptySat Sep 15, 2018 6:37 pm

Think it will be GGG as Canelo has put on loads of muscule and it may slow him down

But either way its going to be a great fight
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... EmptySun Sep 16, 2018 12:15 am

friendsloft wrote:
David this is just my thoughts on losses my veiw is there as been something in the atmosphere effecting the homing ability every man women boyand girl has a mobile phone just think of all the radio waves in the air at any given time yes there as always been losses but not on this scale
Ken
I tend to agree some what Ken Wink Wink in some ways. Atmosphere Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes filled with junk Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad & it's going every which way type of thing Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... EmptySun Sep 16, 2018 9:56 am

The only problem with all the theories for losses relative to atmospheric interferences is that it would affect every animal that depends on then staying constant.

There is no evidence that any other animal is being affected to the extent fanciers pigeons are being affected.

Then the fact is that if just one can return why cannot all the others?.

Of course the weather will affect racing pigeons because they are totally dependent on the fancier for their treatment when wild animals know themselves how to adapt to changes.

There are several real causes for losses, Raptors. to what extent is pure guess work, poor quality unhealthy pigeons fed numerous medication of one kind or another, too many bred from paper pedigrees and others sold based on one or two good pigeons in a loft, the ruination of the overall health by using unnatural means of interfering with the natural functions of the pigeons life cycle, for short term gain with no thought for the future, transportation, dehydration being in my opinion one of the main causes, upsetting the pigeons digestive system by using numerous different products etc;.

If fanciers looked more inwards and attempted to identify what they were doing wrong then matters may imrove.

The fact is also that not all faciers lose most of their pigeons, why notlook into why?.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... EmptySun Sep 16, 2018 2:11 pm

We have birds flocking here to go South. Swallows left weeks ago. Hummingbirds just recently. Butterflies are gathering for their trip to Mexico. They seem to do it every year, huricanes, sattelites or super sonic traffic. I lose very few pigeons. Compared to others in the Fed. They ship full allowance. 60 one week different 60 another week. No limits on old bird shipping simply because there are too few to fill the Fed trailer. Young here not flown will be trained to 40 miles often regardless (within reason) of weather. Weak will perish. Lights turned off, heavy moult now. So will wait a week. No young bird flying next year. Open loft much as possible. Raptors on the move also. Usually not too many around here. My birds watch the Feral pigeons avoid them. Winter at 40 C below. Summer (as today) at 35 C plus.
Depends situation for many the number to keep. Usally more is better. Some big shippers do have excellent birds, old and young. But each to their own.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... EmptySun Sep 16, 2018 4:38 pm

Hal,
I think the nearer you keep to nature the less problems.

It is indisputable that the vast majority of pigeons bred will not come up to the fanciers expectations or desires.

We all know that the percentage of real good birds from any loft is very small, so one would think that all things taken into account the more you breed the more good ones you will have.

The only problem you cannot give the attention needed to a large number as individuals as you can a lesser number and I feel to get the best out of what you have you have to consider each as an individual in particular if you use the natural system.

One of the reasons for losses is fanciers sending large numbers in hope rather than expectation and no doubt lose many realy good pigeons through lack of individual attention.

Funny old game.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... EmptySun Sep 16, 2018 7:44 pm

Yes true. Now this my wife and I witnessed this morning. From the kitchen window. Hundereds of birds (black ones, Robin size) Sitting on two electical wires crossing the feild to the back barns.
Sudden scatter and down then immediately upwards. Hawk after them. They circled getting higher and higher. Hawk did the same but could not gain. Pigeons do the same manouvere. First time I have seen what happened next! The birds en mass dived down at the hawk!! The hawk tried to out run them but the smaller birds were on it pecking it!! Safety in numbers? Then they were out of site towards the Lake.
Oh yes. Missed a pic. Feral blue check white flight in loft with young ones this morning. Quite a while since I had one in.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... EmptyMon Sep 17, 2018 1:18 pm

You are so lucky Hal to have so many different small bird populations.

We now find sparrow hawks taking what small birds are left from back garden feeding tables.

Once I could count maybe 15 to 20 different species now it is down to wood pigeons, doves and house sparrows with the occasional visit of the t**s and the odd robin, this year we have had too many starlings that empty all the food containers within minutes and I do not think the raptors would be interested in killing them.

It must have been a nice experience to observe the antics of the small birds, I feel there is much in nature we have still not learned.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... EmptyMon Sep 17, 2018 2:17 pm

spoke with Darren on the phone yesterday, was telling him I rarely see a sparrow hawk, every once in a while maybe.........let my birds out this morning and what did I see, a sparrow hawk No scratch lol!

should have kept me mouth shut lol!

p.s. last time I saw one was about a month ago, it swooped down at the Mrs's slippers while she was sat in the garden, it must have thought they were some sort of small fury animal ........ Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reducing Numbers....   Reducing Numbers.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Reducing Numbers....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next