Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» King removes Patronage
Weaning young birds. Emptyby David Yesterday at 8:46 pm

» Weather today
Weaning young birds. Emptyby David Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Good Morning
Weaning young birds. Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:34 am

» escaped birds return
Weaning young birds. Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:25 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Weaning young birds. Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Weaning young birds. Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
Weaning young birds. Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
Weaning young birds. Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
Weaning young birds. Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Weaning young birds. 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 81 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 81 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Weaning young birds. Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Weaning young birds. Vote_lcapWeaning young birds. Voting_barWeaning young birds. Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Weaning young birds. Vote_lcapWeaning young birds. Voting_barWeaning young birds. Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222761 messages in 14003 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Weaning young birds. Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Weaning young birds. Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Weaning young birds.

Go down 
+2
oldstrain
halcanada
6 posters
AuthorMessage
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Weaning young birds. Empty
PostSubject: Weaning young birds.   Weaning young birds. EmptySun Feb 03, 2019 1:40 am

Weaned six today. Shavings on floor but some snow was in there also. No big deal. Pulled the head on one white one. Was just about incapable of moving. Reason? Square nest box. Shavings in. Cold so stayed there. No ambition to get out. Nest mate did and was weaned today. Two of the six weaned are limping. Reason? Dropped from high nest boxes to floor few days ago. Was feed in boxes. Cold weather contributing factor. As parents were busy nesting elswhere. So have killed 5 so far. Never again early breeding. Race birds, cocks and hens were together a while back. Two weeks. No extra lights or such as I used for the stock birds. No eggs or cock birds chasing. But looking! Weather has warmed up. So expect activity soon. Actually hate to post this. Weather here is different from most of you folks. But again, after years of early breeding with no problems I get this stuff. Perhaps some one will get some info from my situation. Back to basics for me. Stick with the natural cycle. As Misty says. 30 C below going out there to look after them..not worth it.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Weaning young birds.   Weaning young birds. EmptySun Feb 03, 2019 7:57 am

sorry to hear the breedings not gone to plan hal as you say far to cold to be messing around and really not worth the hastle hope it warms up soon for you guys there
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Weaning young birds.   Weaning young birds. EmptySun Feb 03, 2019 4:09 pm

oldstrain wrote:
sorry to hear the breedings not gone to plan hal as you say far to cold to be messing around and really not worth the hastle hope it warms up soon for you guys there
Same, same Smile Smile For me Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes an absolute crap type of scenario I'm affraid attempting to breed in those type of conditions O/S etc Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Weaning young birds.   Weaning young birds. EmptySun Feb 03, 2019 4:24 pm

They look OK this morning. Just have to make sure they find the drinker. Spend sometime with them. Above freezing now anyway and for 3 more days. Some rain.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Weaning young birds.   Weaning young birds. EmptySun Feb 03, 2019 5:13 pm

Weaning young birds. 000_0745
Weaning young birds. 000_0746
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

PostSubject: Re: Weaning young birds.   Weaning young birds. EmptySun Feb 03, 2019 6:06 pm

Not good news their Hal with those young one's more of a challenge with temperatures like you have been having but they look OK you have parted
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Weaning young birds.   Weaning young birds. EmptyMon Feb 04, 2019 12:00 am

Oh well. They perform or not. But will be given all the care they need. Above freezing now. Cleaned out stock loft, fresh shavings down. Aviary opened up. Racers starting to look at each other. After more than 2 weeks together. Above freezing tomorrow may let birds out.
Interesting message on Facebook. Guy I know and fly with has been trying to get hold of me. 3rd party informed me. Have changed phones and he does not have my email. Not a computer type. So called him and left a message. Worst scenario club has folded Guy who run it has died. Way over 80. Cannot fly any were else. Too much distance. Best scenario he needs some pigeons. Young ones for auction or old birds for breeding. Or young to fly with. Won with them before will give him whatever he wants. As always no charge. Hope it is the latter scenario!!
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Weaning young birds.   Weaning young birds. EmptyMon Feb 04, 2019 7:00 am

Hope so too, Hal.

As for ringing and parting young birds etc;

I never had kits all the same age, with open loft pairs laid, as and when, some I wanted to rear others not, so there could be weeks different in age.

Come the races all went sometimes with no training at all.

We all have different ideas, some work, some do not, it is what makes life interesting.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Weaning young birds.   Weaning young birds. EmptyMon Feb 04, 2019 7:02 am

I might just add that some pairs fed their young long after they fledged.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Weaning young birds.   Weaning young birds. EmptyMon Feb 04, 2019 9:52 am

ybs all look fine to me hal....... cheers
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Weaning young birds.   Weaning young birds. EmptyMon Feb 04, 2019 6:25 pm

MISTY wrote:
I might just add that some pairs fed their young long after they fledged.

Regards.
Wouldn't have a bar of that type of thing here Misty I'm affraid. Takes all the good food/milk away from the next round type of thing from my perspective when they are born as such. End of the day Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes maybe Wink Wink if they have problems at around 24 days eating & drinking on their own bounce bounce maybe better else where type of thing from my perspective Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Weaning young birds.   Weaning young birds. EmptyMon Feb 04, 2019 7:04 pm

Never found any problems, no YBS, no other ailments, always think nature and the animals know what is best rather than humans have written many times, young are taken away too early and their immune system suffers, the parents know when to stop feeding their young and pass on benefits whilst doing so.

Pigeons always in show condition, won both shows and races, no mob flying.

Think I prefer a well tried system with no problems as such than speculative artificial methods.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Weaning young birds.   Weaning young birds. EmptyTue Feb 05, 2019 1:29 am

Sigh of relief! Fellow called me. Fed has an auction of young birds here every year. Average price last year $80. Now if you do not donate or buy a young bird the average price is added to your $275 young bird shipping fee. He suggested (as he lives much closer to the Fed Auction site by an hour) He would come here next weekend and pick up one of my bands. Band one of his with it and put it in the auction. So I do not have to pay the auction price when shipping young birds. He retired last year from car collision work. Fixes stuff. Tells me now back at work. Money is tight. Owns his own home etc,. His wife broke her leg last year and cannot work now. So income very reduced.
Any way, was waiting for some thing. Asked me if at all possible I had a white hen to spare. From the American bird. He wants to cross with his. Told him sure. 3 young from her here. Only one I flew was first home and 4th club flying 40 some miles farther. Have two more later breds. Father is a Tmak red. So all is well! People helping each other.
On another note, daughter may be moving back in with us in another month. Will have to grin and bear it. Her only faults are she is bossy, self opiniated and knows eveything. Told my wife it was from her side of the family! She replied. Unfortunately cannot post her comments on here!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weaning young birds.   Weaning young birds. Empty

Back to top Go down

Weaning young birds.
Page 1 of 1