Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Black Sunflower Seeds  Emptyby oldstrain Today at 12:21 pm

» Weather today
Black Sunflower Seeds  Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 12:09 pm

» King removes Patronage
Black Sunflower Seeds  Emptyby oldstrain Today at 11:04 am

» York Road & District Results 2024
Black Sunflower Seeds  Emptyby David Yesterday at 1:35 pm

» APHA Forms .......
Black Sunflower Seeds  Emptyby David Fri May 17, 2024 11:38 am

» come join us
Black Sunflower Seeds  Emptyby David Thu May 16, 2024 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Black Sunflower Seeds  Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
Black Sunflower Seeds  Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Black Sunflower Seeds  Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Black Sunflower Seeds  20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 30 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 30 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Black Sunflower Seeds  Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Black Sunflower Seeds  Vote_lcapBlack Sunflower Seeds  Voting_barBlack Sunflower Seeds  Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
Black Sunflower Seeds  Vote_lcapBlack Sunflower Seeds  Voting_barBlack Sunflower Seeds  Vote_rcap 
David
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1298 registered users
The newest registered user is Marcdvc11

Our users have posted a total of 222893 messages in 14007 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Black Sunflower Seeds  Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Black Sunflower Seeds  Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Black Sunflower Seeds

Go down 
+3
oldstrain
Knackered
David
7 posters
AuthorMessage
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Black Sunflower Seeds  Empty
PostSubject: Black Sunflower Seeds    Black Sunflower Seeds  EmptyTue Jun 30, 2020 11:56 am

are black sunflower seeds good for pigeons, in the mix im using it already has the black and white sunflowers seeds in it, but just wondered if the black ones are any different or of any benefit to pigeons ...?
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Black Sunflower Seeds    Black Sunflower Seeds  EmptyTue Jun 30, 2020 12:24 pm

David wrote:
are black sunflower seeds good for pigeons, in the mix im using it already has the black and white sunflowers seeds in it, but just wondered if the black ones are any different or of any benefit to pigeons ...?
Jack Barkel Smile Smile was big on peeled sunflower seeds David for what I remember. Must have been some thing in the outer shell I suspect that he just didn't like at the time. Looks for many may just turn them off the black variety I suspect, thou I'm no expert on the matter/issue as I'm rather happy using safflower seeds for the birds here & found no requirement for them on average. cheers
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Black Sunflower Seeds    Black Sunflower Seeds  EmptyTue Jun 30, 2020 12:32 pm

thanks for the info knackered, wife got me a bag of black seeds from pet shop, £1.49 , 500g ....wondered if the birds would like them

unsure weather to give them or not ..... Suspect Suspect Suspect
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Black Sunflower Seeds    Black Sunflower Seeds  EmptyTue Jun 30, 2020 12:49 pm

we use them here but they have been de-shelled and from the striped variety ...sunflower hearts are a good energy source for the pigeons along with a few other seeds ,we get ours from the health shop and i prefer them to peanuts
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Black Sunflower Seeds    Black Sunflower Seeds  EmptyTue Jun 30, 2020 1:33 pm

I believe most (new) mixes are for the fancier's eye only.

One thing for certain nigh all feeds that pigeon obtain naturally carry , not only bear essentials, but everything that they need.
Ok, they don't know what we have in store for them. Yet over the years, very many good to great flights have been done. races etc, of endurance!

Now, I did some times, but couldn't be bothered, or have the time, believe a pigeon other wise will tell you. By placing a mixture before them before their feed. They show you what their body needs ir maybe lacking. then feed mostly that.. A couple of days later, they prefer another feed!

Gosh after the last war, pigeons were doing good time on Acorns / horse beans or such.

Today, we know, by and large, what each seed / beans properties are.
Know also what is / will be needed to gain a yard maybe come week - end!

Barry, beside noting nigh every thing, nest circle, best ... etc. But also ALWAY had wri

written down the feed that week .. indeed every day!
By the time they were 2 y. olds at least, he knew just what was what. Said 'Why buy, give and try different feeds, if you aren't going to keep a record of it'!
I tend to agree with him.

Gary only ever fed the same bought mix. A cheaper one! Go figure.
Back to top Go down
halcanada81
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Black Sunflower Seeds    Black Sunflower Seeds  EmptyTue Jun 30, 2020 3:01 pm

I use this in the pigeon mix. Wild bird seed. They eat it all.Black Sunflower Seeds  000_1513
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Black Sunflower Seeds    Black Sunflower Seeds  EmptyTue Jun 30, 2020 4:42 pm

I suppose one could hand pick out all the Black seeds and Feed them to the Sparrows etc. lol Razz Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Black Sunflower Seeds    Black Sunflower Seeds  EmptyTue Jun 30, 2020 7:55 pm

Me thinks there is more Bull within the sport regarding feed than anything else and the commercial boys have taken advantage of it.

Pigeons have put up some of the best performances ever, fed on Beans only.

It is the engine the fuel is put in that counts.

As I have said previously my pigeons had the same mixture all year round and I doubt if any pigeon ate exactly the same mix any day of the year, I gave credit to the pigeons natural instincts, think they knew better than me what was best on any given day.

Only used a very good mixture, all sound, on the grounds that I myself would not like baked beans every day, irrespective if they were Heinze.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: Black Sunflower Seeds    Black Sunflower Seeds  EmptyTue Jun 30, 2020 8:36 pm

David wrote:

David it has nothing to do with food benefit. Years ago there was only white sunflower in all the pigeon mixes, then the politically correct mob started protesting. About 4 years ago corn merchants had to sign a declaration in the EU parliament to balance the seed by adding at least 50% black sunflower to mixes so as to prevent accusations of racism in the corn industry.
Crazy world we live in.................
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Black Sunflower Seeds    Black Sunflower Seeds  EmptyTue Jun 30, 2020 8:49 pm

Surely you must be joking barnie, or the world is a sadder place than I thought.

Can see the day when everything has to be a mixture of black, white and medium,

Insanity does not begin to describe the way things are going.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Black Sunflower Seeds    Black Sunflower Seeds  EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 12:54 am

MISTY wrote:
Surely you must be joking barnie, or the world is a sadder place than I thought.

Can see the day when everything has to be a mixture of black, white and medium,

Insanity does not begin to describe the way things are going.

Regards.
Wouldn't surprise me Misty Smile Smile these days Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes what sort of world would it be etc bounce bounce if black sunflower seeds Wink Wink felt upset, by being over powered on a daily basis by the stripped variety as such. cheers & take care.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Black Sunflower Seeds    Black Sunflower Seeds  EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 9:07 am

Just observed a debate regarding the colour of Jesus.

Silly artist depicted Jesus as Black (just for a bit of television fame ??? me thinks).

Jesus was a Jew, Jews are white, no debate necessary.

But the part that made me see the depths to what the church has gone to, on the same debate was a self confessed Homosexual (platonic with his partner of course).
wearing dog collar.
The Bible says homosexuality is abhorrent in the eyes of God.

Misty was so sick he took his own collar off.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Black Sunflower Seeds    Black Sunflower Seeds  EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 9:53 am

interesting topic misty, firstly i would say jews are not white, meaning white like english people, although european jews do appear white.

the jews are Semites , which Palestinians and others from that region are , and are dark skinned, but this is confusing because the question "are jews a religion or a race" crops up.....I think they are a religion, and not a race, simply because they are so different to one another, some are dark skinned, some are light (whitish). some are dark haired, some are fair or ginger ........so when you compare that to say the negro, chinese etc, they are clearly seen as the same race, compared to jews who are all different ......

either way, jesus was not black as in negro, but maybe dark skinned, as he would have been if he was living in the area now known as israel
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Black Sunflower Seeds    Black Sunflower Seeds  EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 2:48 pm

You are probably right David.

Neither black nor white, maybe to show no chance of colour being used and abused.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Black Sunflower Seeds    Black Sunflower Seeds  EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 11:08 pm

Generally accepted that Adam and Eve were mid brown in colour to have produced all the variations.

Think colour irrelevant, however, today all colours have their good bad and indifferent, all have chips on their shoulders and that is why the world is in the present state.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
halcanada81
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Black Sunflower Seeds    Black Sunflower Seeds  EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 4:31 pm

Sunflower shells. In the pigeon feed hopper.
Black Sunflower Seeds  000_1514
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: Black Sunflower Seeds    Black Sunflower Seeds  EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 8:11 pm

..........I was just joking about the sunflowers in the mix by the way Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Black Sunflower Seeds    Black Sunflower Seeds  EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 8:21 pm

Naughty boy barnie.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
halcanada81
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Black Sunflower Seeds    Black Sunflower Seeds  EmptySat Jul 04, 2020 11:42 am

Colour of the outside does not matter. Same as people. What is inside is important
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Black Sunflower Seeds    Black Sunflower Seeds  EmptySat Jul 04, 2020 12:10 pm

barnie wrote:
..........I was just joking about the sunflowers in the mix by the way Laughing Laughing

Brave man to admit that! Now you will, no doubt, be classed as a Racist, against 'Black Seeds lol Wink Smile Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Sunflower Seeds    Black Sunflower Seeds  Empty

Back to top Go down

Black Sunflower Seeds
Page 1 of 1