Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
pigeons losing homing instinct Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 2:06 am

» come join us
pigeons losing homing instinct Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:21 am

» Weather today
pigeons losing homing instinct Emptyby David Yesterday at 9:45 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
pigeons losing homing instinct Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
pigeons losing homing instinct Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:19 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
pigeons losing homing instinct Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
pigeons losing homing instinct Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
pigeons losing homing instinct Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
pigeons losing homing instinct Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) pigeons losing homing instinct 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 21 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 21 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.pigeons losing homing instinct Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
pigeons losing homing instinct Vote_lcappigeons losing homing instinct Voting_barpigeons losing homing instinct Vote_rcap 
David
pigeons losing homing instinct Vote_lcappigeons losing homing instinct Voting_barpigeons losing homing instinct Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222847 messages in 14006 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
pigeons losing homing instinct Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
pigeons losing homing instinct Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

pigeons losing homing instinct

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
George & Morgan
Oldbird
Oldbird
George & Morgan

pigeons losing homing instinct Empty
PostSubject: pigeons losing homing instinct   pigeons losing homing instinct EmptyTue Sep 13, 2022 8:12 pm

i'm now thinking do pigeons lose some of there homing instinct if both sire and dam have not been raced even the large studs will only have one parent raced how successful breeding from unraced stock have you been i need to bring in raced birds as some birds i have must go back 3 or 4 generations to find a raced bird
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: pigeons losing homing instinct   pigeons losing homing instinct EmptyTue Sep 13, 2022 9:13 pm

Do not think they ever lose it, humans just dull their ability use it at times.

Some winners are bred from generstions of prisoners that have never seen a basket, all based on one or two winners in the family.

When you see a stud paying X number of pounds for a pigeon the truth is it usually includes a number of others not just the champion, and all are used for generations to be sold.

Homing is a natural instinct could probably be reduced or lost but only,over a prolonged period, and would not be lost in the wild ones, or they would not survive.

Regsrds.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
George & Morgan
Oldbird
Oldbird
George & Morgan

PostSubject: Re: pigeons losing homing instinct   pigeons losing homing instinct EmptyTue Sep 13, 2022 9:19 pm

most strays have lost there homing instinct some may not be fit but they should make it home at some time
Back to top Go down
George & Morgan
Oldbird
Oldbird
George & Morgan

PostSubject: Re: pigeons losing homing instinct   pigeons losing homing instinct EmptyTue Sep 13, 2022 9:32 pm

friend and i were at the loft of the late Ken Hine a great distance flier he told us his ybs first toss was 40 mls he did not worry how long they took to get home but would never keep a bird he had to collect
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: pigeons losing homing instinct   pigeons losing homing instinct EmptyTue Sep 13, 2022 10:42 pm

ive heard fanciers are sometimes reluctant to buy young birds which are bred off a long line of non racers , if theres anything in the theory i dont know ..........but i cant really see it making much difference .
Back to top Go down
George & Morgan
Oldbird
Oldbird
George & Morgan

PostSubject: Re: pigeons losing homing instinct   pigeons losing homing instinct EmptyWed Sep 14, 2022 3:00 am

what do you think is main reason birds are lost and become strays they seem to me David they just want food and water some do return to the loft were there fed but most strays i think just have no homing instinct and go to another loft do you think David birds kept as prisoners makes any difference to the ybs
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: pigeons losing homing instinct   pigeons losing homing instinct EmptyWed Sep 14, 2022 7:12 am

George I think all pigeons, even fantails, have a degree of homing ability. But I think more racers in recent times either lose the ability or just chuck the towel in after a certain distance. For some it's less than 20 miles and if they aren't in the batch with the rest of yours they just follow anything.
Sometimes strays are so hungry and thirsty, you get them in and they decide to make yours their new home, they aren't leaving, purely survival instinct.
I think more and more rely on the batches come race day to get them somewhere near the home end. Mobile phones, satellites etc, who really knows?
Back to top Go down
George & Morgan
Oldbird
Oldbird
George & Morgan

PostSubject: Re: pigeons losing homing instinct   pigeons losing homing instinct EmptyWed Sep 14, 2022 7:58 am

iwas in somerset brought 2 strays to oxfordshire let go nearer home they did not make it one thing i notice they both did not handle like a good pigeon and the eyes lacked any colour i also think i may have been the same breed ybs they go down but you still breed the same the following year for me a stray will always be a stray
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: pigeons losing homing instinct   pigeons losing homing instinct EmptyWed Sep 14, 2022 10:09 am

George & Morgan wrote:
iwas in somerset brought 2 strays to oxfordshire  let go nearer home they did not make it one thing i notice they both did not handle like a good pigeon and the eyes lacked any colour i also think i may have been the same breed ybs they go down but you still breed the same the following year for me a stray will always be a stray

There are countless examples of homing abilities, little moths fly thousands of miles none stop each year as do many other speies including birds.

The last year I kept pigeons I got a stray in, rang the owner the same day, he lived in London, a friend has a son who is a policeman and lived in London and as luck would have it was over for the week end, said he would take it and release it in London.

He did so, released it at 2,00 pm. it was back in my loft at 6.30 when I looked in, rang the fancier who told me the breed etc; and said I could keep it, it was in my loft until I had to leave the sport.

Dropped a young strawberry youngster, fancier rang me up and said he had it in his garage, he sent it back and said I hope you do not kill it, sent it to a race couple of weeks later and it returned to his garage and as far as I know is still there.

Nature tells animals birds etc; when they are becomming too inbred and some get the wonderlust and go elsewhere to strengthen the instincts and strength of those involved.

Widowhood, the Darkness systems, the feeding of rubbish as aids to win and other unatural handicaps some fanciers impose on their pigeons would make them reluctant to get back in any case.

Fr batter off with a bunch of happy townies,

Load of rubbish talked about our sport at times regarding a pigeons ability.

Regards

Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: pigeons losing homing instinct   pigeons losing homing instinct EmptyWed Sep 14, 2022 10:29 am

i think its just a simple case of good pigeons and crap pigeons, you cant make a good pigeon out of a crap one.........and i`d say the vast majority of pigeons are crap . lol!
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: pigeons losing homing instinct   pigeons losing homing instinct EmptyWed Sep 14, 2022 10:44 am

David wrote:
i think its just a simple case of good pigeons and crap pigeons, you cant make a good pigeon out of a crap one.........and i`d say the vast majority of pigeons are crap . lol!

AGREE 100% with that David.

Take humans of all shapes and sizes all able to walk.

Say they set off to walk as far as possible.

Some would drop out just down the road and others intemitantly and the most able probably still going.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
George & Morgan
Oldbird
Oldbird
George & Morgan

PostSubject: Re: pigeons losing homing instinct   pigeons losing homing instinct EmptyWed Sep 14, 2022 10:49 am

have you noticed the owner of a stray will tell you it's the best bred bird in his loft followed by would you like it
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: pigeons losing homing instinct   pigeons losing homing instinct EmptyWed Sep 14, 2022 10:55 am

George & Morgan wrote:
have you noticed the owner of a stray will tell you it's the best bred bird in his loft  followed by would you like it

lol! lol! lol! yes george, its always the case ...........once they tell you how good the pigeon is, you know whats coming next Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: pigeons losing homing instinct   pigeons losing homing instinct EmptyWed Sep 14, 2022 10:57 am

MISTY wrote:
George & Morgan wrote:
iwas in somerset brought 2 strays to oxfordshire  let go nearer home they did not make it one thing i notice they both did not handle like a good pigeon and the eyes lacked any colour i also think i may have been the same breed ybs they go down but you still breed the same the following year for me a stray will always be a stray

There are countless examples of homing abilities, little moths fly thousands of miles none stop each year as do many other speies including birds.

The last year I kept pigeons I got a stray in, rang the owner the same day, he lived in London, a friend has a son who is a policeman and lived in London and as luck would have it was over for the week end, said he would take it and release it in London.

He did so, released it at 2,00 pm. it was back in my loft at 6.30 when I looked in, rang the fancier who told me the breed etc; and said I could keep it, it was  in my loft until I had to leave the sport.

Dropped a young strawberry youngster, fancier rang me  up and said he had it in his garage, he sent it back and  said I hope you do not kill it, sent it to a race couple of weeks later and it returned to his garage and as far as I know is still there.

Nature tells animals birds etc; when they are becomming too inbred  and some get the wonderlust and go elsewhere to strengthen the instincts and strength of those involved.

Widowhood, the Darkness systems, the feeding of rubbish as aids to win and other unatural handicaps some fanciers impose on their pigeons would make them reluctant to get back in any case.

Fr batter off with a bunch of happy townies,

Load of rubbish talked about our sport at times regarding a pigeons ability.

Regards

I personally think here Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes it's a bit of a tragic joke bounce bounce to even suggest that pigeons can somehow actually maybe loose their homing ability. They may somehow loose the will to home in general in many cases, but that's more the owner's fault on average from my perspective. Now  Smile  Smile if I can somehow chuck crows caught in my loft here at times into a basket & then have them home from 5/10 miles in good time, why should there be so many loses like we have each year with pigeons when many flyers tend to toss them from around the same type distance. cheers
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: pigeons losing homing instinct   pigeons losing homing instinct EmptyWed Sep 14, 2022 11:07 am

David wrote:
George & Morgan wrote:
have you noticed the owner of a stray will tell you it's the best bred bird in his loft  followed by would you like it

lol! lol! lol! yes george, its always the case ...........once they tell you how good the pigeon is, you know whats coming next Razz Razz
lol! lol! lol! shouldn't really expect anything more as such Smile Smile I say. We are but pigeons flyers Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes & as one brave man here once said bounce bounce we are not on average the brightest bunch on the block in general Wink Wink. cheers alien flower afro
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: pigeons losing homing instinct   pigeons losing homing instinct EmptyWed Sep 14, 2022 11:32 am

Knackered wrote:
David wrote:
George & Morgan wrote:

lol! lol! lol! shouldn't really expect anything more as such Smile Smile I say. We are but pigeons flyers Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes & as one brave man here once said bounce bounce we are not on average the brightest bunch on the block in general Wink Wink. cheers alien flower afro

lol! lol! lol! lol! you wicked man knackered ......... Razz Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: pigeons losing homing instinct   pigeons losing homing instinct EmptyWed Sep 14, 2022 11:45 am

David wrote:
Crap Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes if being quite honest here etc David Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I'd say the vast majority of them on average these days are just plain weak I'm affraid Fed to the smell of an oily rag Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad in many cases, blow home after blow home short distance type races bounce bounce like a certain Very Happy Very Happy one loft race I could name of some repute Wink Wink where money is king on average on average & unfortunately from my perspective the final decider factor over the welfare of the pigeons  Wink  Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: pigeons losing homing instinct   pigeons losing homing instinct EmptyWed Sep 14, 2022 12:12 pm

yes knackered, these one lofts especially dont seem to care much about the welfare of the pigeons .......its all about money .
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: pigeons losing homing instinct   pigeons losing homing instinct EmptyWed Sep 14, 2022 12:22 pm

David wrote:
yes knackered, these one lofts especially dont seem to care much about the welfare of the pigeons .......its all about money .
I'm affraid for the most part David Smile Smile they all on average talk the talk etc bounce bounce when the welfare subject is mentioned with what they do. Basically thou, history suggest unfortunately that's all it is sadly Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: pigeons losing homing instinct   pigeons losing homing instinct EmptyWed Sep 14, 2022 1:20 pm

MISTY wrote:
Do not think they ever lose it, humans just dull their ability use it at times.

Some winners are bred from generstions of prisoners that have never seen a basket, all based on one or two winners in the family.

When you see a stud paying X number of pounds for a pigeon the truth is it usually includes a number of others  not just the champion, and all are used  for generations to be sold.

Homing is a natural instinct could probably be reduced or lost but only,over a prolonged period, and would not be lost in the wild ones, or they would not survive.

Regsrds.

We in certain ways Misty I suspect Smile Smile these days I'm affraid live in a world of excuse maker types etc bounce bounce sadly, many come up against a problem/situation now in a general sense & just look for the easy way out type of thing, when it's perhaps not the best outcome maybe in the end for those concerned. Example Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes many know here Wink Wink I'm not a name dropper type as such lol! lol! lol! so Smile Smile that being said bounce bounce just for name sake now, I will just call these few words of waffle, The Bendigo syndrome Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad for a simple no nonsense heading. I like many others have the greatest of respect down here for what I call local country flyers etc. Many of them over the years fly small numbers of birds each week on their own to the extreme type distances with great success & have done so for many years etc. One country club thou of repute here (100 odd years) had a reputation 2nd to none at the distance type events there well before I even knew what a pigeon was. How things change thou Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad over time, as this club now in parts bounce bounce somehow thinks now sadly that 60 odd mile races there are the future in the enjoyment stakes for many of the local pigeon flyer types  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes. cheers alien flower afro & good night Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: pigeons losing homing instinct   pigeons losing homing instinct Empty

Back to top Go down

pigeons losing homing instinct
Page 1 of 1