Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Peanuts........ Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:13 am

» Good Morning
Peanuts........ Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:12 am

» come join us
Peanuts........ Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Peanuts........ Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Peanuts........ Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:19 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
Peanuts........ Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Peanuts........ Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
Peanuts........ Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
Peanuts........ Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Peanuts........ 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 38 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 38 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Peanuts........ Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Peanuts........ Vote_lcapPeanuts........ Voting_barPeanuts........ Vote_rcap 
David
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222849 messages in 14006 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Peanuts........ Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Peanuts........ Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Peanuts........

Go down 
+6
peel bros
Don Webb
IANYOUNG
Rudderfett
fred holbard
David
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 8:51 pm

got some fresh peanuts today and am going to start giving them to my birds eventually, never got round to it last year but am determined to get the ybs onto them.......

offerd some of my stock birds and yearlings a peanut and naturally they didnt take it off my but some did pick it up off the floor of the nestbox......didnt seem too botherd about the peanut so is it something they need to get used to ? and what is it they like so much about them ? can they taste a peanut and how do they know its not just maize ? also do i take the red skin off ?
Back to top Go down
fred holbard
Hatchling
Hatchling
fred holbard

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 8:55 pm

it's like anything new, they have to get used to it, once they are they wont leave them on the floor, and now you don't have to take the skins off.
Back to top Go down
http://www.eliteoffsetprinters.co.uk
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 8:59 pm

hi fred, first one i gave seemed a bit big for the bird to swallow so i gave him a smaller one which he ate, can they still eat the larger ones....is it safe ? will they eventually take them from my hand ?
Back to top Go down
fred holbard
Hatchling
Hatchling
fred holbard

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 9:02 pm

The late great Alf Baker used to collect acorns in the winter to give to his birds - whole, so unless the peanuts were bigger than an acorn I shouldn't worry Shocked
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 9:06 pm

that will do for me fred, thanks........ Very Happy

fred do you give them to your birds, and if so do you think it makes a big difference to them being tamer or do you feed them because of the vit b, vit e and oils ......?
Back to top Go down
fred holbard
Hatchling
Hatchling
fred holbard

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 9:31 pm

both

that was short and sweet Laughing
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 9:32 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 9:45 pm

Very Happy Yes when I started feeding peanuts none of my birds would eat them but once they have a couple they will bite your hand off for them, My cocks would rather come to me for a peanut than spend time with the hens, and thats even now when they have only been paired up yesterday, they love them but like al things give them spareingly, 1 or 2 a day but not every day that way they will make a fuss of you to get one. lol!
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 9:54 pm

thanks martyn, wonder why they love them so much.......? can a pigeon taste.....? scratch
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 9:59 pm

the answer to that is ,see what they do for them ,you.ll be surprised
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 10:09 pm

I used to think if they just swallow corn then they cant taste, but I def know that they do taste, other wise why would they love some things and not others. I was telling gareth the other day I made some tea in the cold weather and added honey, the drinkers that morning were frozen so I warmed the tea and honey up and after feeding the birds I gave them this to drink. I watched in amazement as they drank stopped seemed to lick thier beaks and went back for 2 , 3 , and even 4 drinks, so tell me they dont taste? lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 10:12 pm

it will have been the sweetness of the honey then would it martyn....? used to give ours tea years ago and was planning on giving ybs it this season, what is it you give them....?
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 10:28 pm

Very Happy well Im a massive believer in honey, I have heared of stories about honey and pollen being found sealed in egyptian tombs which was still good it has preserving and life giving properties. I buy the tea to be honest from body and ride wood, it smells nice and i have tried it myself just to try it, and it is loverly mixed with sweet pembrokeshire honey. I have had trouble this year getting a good suply of honey the bees have been sick?
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 10:41 pm

Put the peanuts in a food mixer to make them smaller and add this to the food so they can get used to eating them
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 10:57 pm

yes don good idea, ive no mixer to chop them up tho.......maybe crush them up a bit to get them smalller...... scratch
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 11:37 pm

Give it a go
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 8:27 am

i used them last year and what a difference to my yb,s ,controlled them much better
Back to top Go down
stormqueen
Youngbird
Youngbird
stormqueen

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 9:19 am

yes will be geting my 25 kilo of penuts again makes all the diverance in to distance racing and good for training young birds
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 6:57 pm

do you use the ones for human consumption john me myself wouldnt give them anything i wouldnt eat
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 7:49 pm

tried them with the peanuts today, wouldnt take them from my hand but one or two would eat from the floor of the nestbox.......suppose it will take a while to get them used to them but my main aim is to get the ybs onto them..... Shocked
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 7:52 pm

just get them used to them first then when they get the taste for them they,ll soon be eating them out of your hand,not all of them but one or two will
Back to top Go down
fred holbard
Hatchling
Hatchling
fred holbard

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 7:55 pm

peel bros wrote:
just get them used to them first then when they get the taste for them they,ll soon be eating them out of your hand,not all of them but one or two will

I agree with peel bros, but also when one or two start taking them, tease them, hold onto the peanut so they can't get it, the others will want to know as well.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 7:58 pm

so does it actually make the birds tamer or just not as wary of you.....?
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 8:00 pm

a lot tamer david now give them there nuts
Back to top Go down
fred holbard
Hatchling
Hatchling
fred holbard

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 8:00 pm

both

good at this aren't I lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Peanuts........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peanuts........   Peanuts........ Empty

Back to top Go down

Peanuts........
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next