Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
roundbout tips and ways Emptyby David Yesterday at 9:16 pm

» Good Morning
roundbout tips and ways Emptyby David Yesterday at 2:48 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
roundbout tips and ways Emptyby David Yesterday at 1:35 pm

» APHA Forms .......
roundbout tips and ways Emptyby David Fri May 17, 2024 11:38 am

» come join us
roundbout tips and ways Emptyby David Thu May 16, 2024 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
roundbout tips and ways Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
roundbout tips and ways Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
roundbout tips and ways Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
roundbout tips and ways Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) roundbout tips and ways 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 21 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 21 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.roundbout tips and ways Resise10
Top posting users this week
No user
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1298 registered users
The newest registered user is Marcdvc11

Our users have posted a total of 222884 messages in 14007 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
roundbout tips and ways Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
roundbout tips and ways Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
roundbout tips and ways Vote_lcaproundbout tips and ways Voting_barroundbout tips and ways Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
roundbout tips and ways Vote_lcaproundbout tips and ways Voting_barroundbout tips and ways Vote_rcap 
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

roundbout tips and ways

Go down 
+4
peel bros
fletch
kev d
Rudderfett
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

roundbout tips and ways Empty
PostSubject: roundbout tips and ways   roundbout tips and ways EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 7:52 pm

Lads I didnt want to hyjack the post about naturals and got on to the roundabout, Please leave any tips or info about your roundabout system, pairing dates e.c.t as Im wanting to learn it. As I am doing it this year and havent got a clue lol!
.lol
Things like pairing dates and do,s and dont,s please.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
kev d
Youngbird
Youngbird
kev d

PostSubject: Re: roundbout tips and ways   roundbout tips and ways EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 7:58 pm

pair the same time as normal rear a round of yb then seperate them cocks in the nest box section hen in a seperate section so they can,t pair up let the cocks out first then get them in to the hens section push the hens through to the cocks section and let them out when the hens are out push the cocks through to there own section .
Back to top Go down
fletch
Hatchling
Hatchling
fletch

PostSubject: Re: roundbout tips and ways   roundbout tips and ways EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 11:28 pm

always have partner waiting for birds when they return

if possible have a spare cock for each racing hen and same spare hen for racing cock

we tried to race both and soon as they return with no partner waiting they only do this once or twice and there season will be over as tehy will sulk
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: roundbout tips and ways   roundbout tips and ways EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 7:19 am

i send my cocks and hens every week mostly and have had birds with 2 and 3 wins and mine do,nt sulk,what i do is just let whatever returns first show up to each other,ih should only take minutes before you have a few back so you should be able to do it.if you start locking them up in their boxes straigth away then yes this weill happen.this is the way we get round this
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: roundbout tips and ways   roundbout tips and ways EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 8:23 am

i got 2 sections next to eachother with a wire door divider....would you block that door off on roundabout ray so they cant see eachother....toying with the idea of roundabout as oppose to widow
Back to top Go down
Gaz b
Oldbird
Oldbird
Gaz b

PostSubject: Re: roundbout tips and ways   roundbout tips and ways EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 8:40 am

I think this is a system once again, that no two fanciers do the same, it does not have to be as regimental as widowhood systems and does not have be treated as such. I am not a fan of locking birds up but hens sections I do not like them to be too spacious or comfortable as this will stop them pairing up.
Once again we are using sex as a motivation tool, I find with this system it keeps both sexes on their toes and they must always be made aware of the opposite sex in the next section.
They can see, they can hear, they can smell the opposite sex.
But they cannot touch.
Get it right and you wont have too usher the hens into the cocks section, they will race to get into there.
As with any system, you have to pay strict attention to your birds, as your success is their motivation.
It's a bit like the donkey and the carrot trick.
There are many variations of the same system, but the birds natural desire to breed is their drive.
Little hatches with mesh windows and sliding shutters are good when strategically placed, especially when placed near extra motivation perches which are placed parallel to each other so both cocks and hens in their sections will fight for that perch just for glimpse of each other.
These are what we call the pooling perches, for obvious reasons.
Its all trial and error, don't be afraid to try new things, its a fun system, the reason I like it is that no birds are wasted.
If your birds sulk, there is a reason.
If you don't know the reason you are not paying enough attention.
Even if you lose birds it does not affect the system.
Apply some thought, alter the routine, most of all have fun with it.
Back to top Go down
http://kjlofts.yolasite.com/about-our-birds.php
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: roundbout tips and ways   roundbout tips and ways EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 2:17 pm

oldstrain wrote:
i got 2 sections next to eachother with a wire door divider....would you block that door off on roundabout ray so they cant see eachother....toying with the idea of roundabout as oppose to widow
the cocks and hens must,nt se each other untill friday the day of basketing.do,nt get me wrong i have had hens come in with the cocks when excerising,the hens go away for ages and somtimetimes you have,ny got the time to wait for them so we let the cocks out and the hens will have to fly longer,this has,nt affected the hens as we have still scored with hens doing this,sometimes i think the hens know what they are doing lol by flying longer they know they will get their cock,even though it might just be for seconds.i think this also helps them stay happy and even more motiavated.gone are the days when we used to wait for hens to return,if they are not back after an hour or so ,out go the cocks.plus our hens get loads of rest with us locking them up all day and night.some do the same with the cocks ,lock them up in their boxes but not us as yet but we have concidered this also
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: roundbout tips and ways   roundbout tips and ways EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 6:33 pm

thanks for the replys ray and gaz Wink

ray do you let the cocks and hens mix before basketing or just on return or both i know this is obviously optional
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: roundbout tips and ways   roundbout tips and ways EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 9:47 pm

Gaz b wrote:
I think this is a system once again, that no two fanciers do the same, it does not have to be as regimental as widowhood systems and does not have be treated as such. I am not a fan of locking birds up but hens sections I do not like them to be too spacious or comfortable as this will stop them pairing up.
Once again we are using sex as a motivation tool, I find with this system it keeps both sexes on their toes and they must always be made aware of the opposite sex in the next section.
They can see, they can hear, they can smell the opposite sex.
But they cannot touch.
Get it right and you wont have too usher the hens into the cocks section, they will race to get into there.
As with any system, you have to pay strict attention to your birds, as your success is their motivation.
It's a bit like the donkey and the carrot trick.
There are many variations of the same system, but the birds natural desire to breed is their drive.
Little hatches with mesh windows and sliding shutters are good when strategically placed, especially when placed near extra motivation perches which are placed parallel to each other so both cocks and hens in their sections will fight for that perch just for glimpse of each other.
These are what we call the pooling perches, for obvious reasons.
Its all trial and error, don't be afraid to try new things, its a fun system, the reason I like it is that no birds are wasted.
If your birds sulk, there is a reason.
If you don't know the reason you are not paying enough attention.
Even if you lose birds it does not affect the system.
Apply some thought, alter the routine, most of all have fun with it.

BVoss looks like i need to do a DVD of you and your systems study study Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: roundbout tips and ways   roundbout tips and ways EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 9:50 pm

oldstrain wrote:

ray do you let the cocks and hens mix before basketing or just on return or both i know this is obviously optional

Remember reading an article by Ronnie Bigwood of TBO partnership about Hens and he said when they are on form all they need is the race rubber on and they know the cock is waiting for them
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: roundbout tips and ways   roundbout tips and ways EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 10:45 pm

yes i suppose once they get used to the system thats all that is required
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: roundbout tips and ways   roundbout tips and ways EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 7:21 am

oldstrain wrote:

i let mine see each other on the friday before they go away and also when they come back.i lock the cocks in their boxes first then let the hens in
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: roundbout tips and ways   roundbout tips and ways EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 12:33 pm

thanks ray
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: roundbout tips and ways   roundbout tips and ways EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 5:43 pm

Thanks lads a lot of info for me to take in...keep it coming the more discussions about it the better as everyones got great and different ways. cheers
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: roundbout tips and ways   roundbout tips and ways EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 8:09 pm

Rudderfett wrote:
Thanks lads a lot of info for me to take in...keep it coming the more discussions about it the better as everyones got great and different ways. cheers

Martyn this is the reason why this site is the best out there
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: roundbout tips and ways   roundbout tips and ways EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 8:59 pm

ray do you lock yer hens up or do they just have v-perchs and grill on floor
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: roundbout tips and ways   roundbout tips and ways EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 9:15 pm

lock them up darren,we used to wait till maybe a wednesday but they where that fresh they started to pair to each other straight away,so now we lock them up from sundays onwards.we clean them out twice a day as well to keep them in perfect condition.we do,nt feed them in their boxes anymore though,we use troughs
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: roundbout tips and ways   roundbout tips and ways EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 9:28 pm

ah rite i see ray makes sense m8 thankyou for all your replies Smile
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: roundbout tips and ways   roundbout tips and ways EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 5:16 pm

When you say lock them up Ray what do you mean, are they kept in a nest box with food and water all day after exercise?
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: roundbout tips and ways   roundbout tips and ways EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 10:10 am

well after some careful consideration will be flying widow this season and give roundabout a pop next year maybe ,i need to make things as simple as possible what with having a young family and need to consider them aswell its easy to let the birds takeover not going to let that happen atb
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: roundbout tips and ways   roundbout tips and ways EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 5:12 pm

Rudderfett wrote:
When you say lock them up Ray what do you mean, are they kept in a nest box with food and water all day after exercise?

no they are locked up with just water ,not any food.they get fed before we lock them up.i did,nt like locking them up at first but with cleaning them out twice a day they are in fantastic condition plus it has,nt harmed them one bit,it was our hens which flew the best for us barr a few cocks.our widowhood hens where on grills in their boxes but the roundabout just bare floors,but they are in much bigger boxes which again i think helps them to keep in condition..like i said we feed via troughs as much as they need then locked up
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: roundbout tips and ways   roundbout tips and ways EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 5:26 pm

oldstrain wrote:
well after some careful consideration will be flying widow this season and give roundabout a pop next year maybe ,i need to make things as simple as possible what with having a young family and need to consider them aswell its easy to let the birds takeover not going to let that happen atb

wise choice darren, pigeons can very easily take over your life before you realise it........
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: roundbout tips and ways   roundbout tips and ways Empty

Back to top Go down

roundbout tips and ways
Page 1 of 1