Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Colour genetics Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 12:06 pm

» Weather today
Colour genetics Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 12:05 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
Colour genetics Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Colour genetics Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
Colour genetics Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
Colour genetics Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Colour genetics Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Colour genetics Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
Colour genetics Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Colour genetics 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 67 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 65 Guests :: 2 Bots

David, George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Colour genetics Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Colour genetics Vote_lcapColour genetics Voting_barColour genetics Vote_rcap 
David
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222801 messages in 14005 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Colour genetics Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Colour genetics Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Colour genetics

Go down 
+2
David
Rudderfett
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

Colour genetics Empty
PostSubject: Colour genetics   Colour genetics EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 11:04 pm

I have a pair of birds, a dark chequer cock and a slate hen, they are janssens and slightly related.

When I went to ring the youngsters yesterday I discovered them to be a pair of reds, they might be the slatey red colour.
Now apart from the very obvious like the hen has been with another cock does anyone know if this is possible.???

I have a bit of genetic knowledge and have some experience of how and what colour can produce what, also I am aware of dominant colours and sex links.
Last year I produced a chocolate red from a chequer and a blue, but they are meulemans recessive reds and that's different.

Any experts out there can shed some light on this for me, one thing I do know is if they are Hens then the father has to be a red, as a hen takes her colour from the cock and in that case the hen has strayed with another cock.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Colour genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colour genetics   Colour genetics EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 11:18 pm

hi martyn, ive no idea about colour genetics, but I bred a schalie cock (red slatey} out of a mealy cock paired to a blue hen,[ whos nestmate was a slatey hen]........the mealy cock was bred off a red checker cock.
Back to top Go down
VanReet Man123
Youngbird
Youngbird
VanReet Man123

Colour genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colour genetics   Colour genetics EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 8:31 am

We have a red pied cock paired to a red hen and they have bred a dark pied and a red young bird.
Back to top Go down
killer
Hatchling
Hatchling
killer

Colour genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colour genetics   Colour genetics EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 8:41 am

All i can tell you is the Base Foundation pigeons of Janssen had Red & Slate in them ;so if your doubling  up the bred why not Reds or Red Slates ;cheers
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

Colour genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colour genetics   Colour genetics EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 11:51 am

Thanks for the info lads, the problem really is this, you can breed any colour from a dominnt colour like red, grizzle and mealy so to breed a chequers slates and blues no problem.

But to get a red colour from non red parents is what the problem is as this seems very suspect, because of the dominant factor, you cant breed dominant from non dominant but the other way around is fine.
Back to top Go down
steve b
Hatchling
Hatchling
steve b

Colour genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colour genetics   Colour genetics EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 9:19 pm

you could get reds if the cock is carrying it
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Colour genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colour genetics   Colour genetics EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 9:30 pm

steve b wrote:
you could get reds if the cock is carrying it

True Steve B  Smile Smile Thou I have to admit here  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I'm  affraid that I've never been able to get my head around this topic, for some reason. Many times thou, I have been surprised etc at what comes out of a nest, re colour.  cheers
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

Colour genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colour genetics   Colour genetics EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 10:02 pm

Colour genetics really is a fascinating subject and I have to admit every year I cant wait to see what colour the babies are. Although 99% of mine are always blues and chequers which is the way I like it, with the odd red and grizzle, I don't like reds but love the grizzles.

But I have to admit I am a bit confused by this one, however I do know that you have dominant colours and recessive, while the dominant are exactly that the recessives break the rules and bronzes can throw out just about anything.

The fact is slates are a difficult colour as there doesn't seem to be a suitable explanation about them but they are a recessive and therefore able to break the rules, so the reds might be legitimate after all, as the hen doesn't seem to be the kind who would mate with another, they are in a small section and surely her cock would have not let another mate with her?
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Colour genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colour genetics   Colour genetics EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 10:13 pm

every year I breed a slatey off two blues....but so far ive never bred a slatey off a slatey......... scratch 
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

Colour genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colour genetics   Colour genetics EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 10:56 pm

You will only breed a slatey if both sire and dam have the colour in the family, that's how recessive works david.
I bred a choc red from a blue and a chequer but both had choc in the family so it comes out, you cant breed a slatey from a slatey or a choc from a choc unless its in both sides, so that's why your slatey wont breed them.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Colour genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colour genetics   Colour genetics EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 11:13 pm

ah right, so if I paired a slatey to a recessive blue they would breed a slatey ?

what would I get if I paired a slatey to a slatey...?
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

Colour genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colour genetics   Colour genetics EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 1:47 pm

slatey x slatey will produce a slatey...and a slatey to almost any other colour will give slatey only if there is a slate in the family of the other colour.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Colour genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colour genetics   Colour genetics EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 1:50 pm

right, I get you.....its interesting when you have slatys/schalies etc in your family, as you never quite know what they are going to breed.....lol

has anyone bred a chequer out of two blue bars.....?
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

Colour genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colour genetics   Colour genetics EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 2:45 pm

Sorry david impossible to breed chequer from a blue x blue, if you have then the hen has mated with a different cock.lol
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Colour genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colour genetics   Colour genetics EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 2:48 pm

ive never had a cheq out of two blue bars either, I didn't believe it possible........ but im sure somewhere somebody said they had........... scratch study
Back to top Go down
killer
Hatchling
Hatchling
killer

Colour genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colour genetics   Colour genetics EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 9:18 pm

The colour charts going around are only guides ; we mate in seperate pens have done for over 20 years ; it depends on the Family of birds that determans the colours ; From BB if you read the Guides they say only BB can come ; well i can tell you that one is Wrong ; we have produced whites; Chocolates ; BB ;Pieds & yes Chequers;has i said it depends on the family of birds you are breeding off.Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Colour genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Colour genetics   Colour genetics Empty

Back to top Go down

Colour genetics
Page 1 of 1