Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Those pesky hawks! Emptyby oldstrain Today at 12:21 pm

» Weather today
Those pesky hawks! Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 12:09 pm

» King removes Patronage
Those pesky hawks! Emptyby oldstrain Today at 11:04 am

» York Road & District Results 2024
Those pesky hawks! Emptyby David Yesterday at 1:35 pm

» APHA Forms .......
Those pesky hawks! Emptyby David Fri May 17, 2024 11:38 am

» come join us
Those pesky hawks! Emptyby David Thu May 16, 2024 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Those pesky hawks! Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
Those pesky hawks! Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Those pesky hawks! Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Those pesky hawks! 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 21 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 19 Guests :: 1 Bot

David, George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Those pesky hawks! Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Those pesky hawks! Vote_lcapThose pesky hawks! Voting_barThose pesky hawks! Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
Those pesky hawks! Vote_lcapThose pesky hawks! Voting_barThose pesky hawks! Vote_rcap 
David
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1298 registered users
The newest registered user is Marcdvc11

Our users have posted a total of 222893 messages in 14007 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Those pesky hawks! Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Those pesky hawks! Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Those pesky hawks!

Go down 
+4
redrog
oldstrain
Boosey
blueskylofts
8 posters
AuthorMessage
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Those pesky hawks! Empty
PostSubject: Those pesky hawks!   Those pesky hawks! EmptyMon Apr 03, 2017 2:47 pm

We had a something very unfriendly attack our young birds this morning when they were out for their morning fly. One y/b still missing.

I am wondering if it might be better to keep the darkness birds in until they have got through their moult a bit more.

Does anyone know if hawks attack in the morning or afternoon more often.

Phil
Back to top Go down
http://www.philongold.net
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

Those pesky hawks! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Those pesky hawks!   Those pesky hawks! EmptyMon Apr 03, 2017 2:58 pm

Sorry to hear that mate, I'm not sure as I've never had a bird attacked from around the loft.
Lots come home damaged from racing though.
I don't think they hunt much when it's raining though Phil.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Those pesky hawks! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Those pesky hawks!   Those pesky hawks! EmptyMon Apr 03, 2017 3:03 pm

either time phil ...I find getting them out early as possible is best 6 am first light type of thing ,what type of hawk ...not a goshawk I hope ,can you not deal with it ,move it on as I have a feeling it will harass you now its found the loft .
Back to top Go down
redrog
Youngbird
Youngbird
redrog

Those pesky hawks! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Those pesky hawks!   Those pesky hawks! EmptyMon Apr 03, 2017 3:23 pm

I have 2 /3 visit a day from sparrow hawk, and peregrines overhead most of time, just the way it is here now.
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Those pesky hawks! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Those pesky hawks!   Those pesky hawks! EmptyMon Apr 03, 2017 5:18 pm

redrog wrote:
I have 2 /3 visit a day from sparrow hawk, and peregrines overhead most of time, just the way it is here now.

How do you cope and or get your birds out?

Phil
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Those pesky hawks! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Those pesky hawks!   Those pesky hawks! EmptyMon Apr 03, 2017 5:33 pm

oldstrain wrote:
either time phil ...I find getting them out early as possible is best 6 am first light type of thing ,what type of hawk ...not a goshawk I hope ,can you not deal with it ,move it on as I have a feeling it will harass you now its found the loft .

I'm not sure yet what sort of little B it is. It flew over my head this morning after one of our y/b's, but I was so concerned about the pigeon, I didn't really have a good look.

It was fast, but not as fast as our young birds though. I don't think it killed this morning because I saw it coming back the opposite way to where it went first thing. I reckon if it had killed, it would not still be chasing our birds.

Darren - you say get the birds out early 06:00 hrs if possible. How can you do that with birds on the darkness?

Phil
Back to top Go down
redrog
Youngbird
Youngbird
redrog

Those pesky hawks! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Those pesky hawks!   Those pesky hawks! EmptyMon Apr 03, 2017 5:45 pm

blueskylofts wrote:
redrog wrote:

How do you cope and or get your birds out?

Phil
y/b don't go out till they past moult this time cos on darkness, previuos years not let y/b out till 60days old plus, by this stage they have seen hawks from aviary numerous times and are strong enough to get up and away before attack comes, again I think I have been lucky with not having flyaways but see no point in giving hawks easy meal. as for old birds they have seen it all before and although not ideal it is a given I will loose some and have the inevitable injuries, just the way it is round here.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Those pesky hawks! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Those pesky hawks!   Those pesky hawks! EmptyMon Apr 03, 2017 6:32 pm

Some years usually have young strong on the wing before going out. As redrog says, they have seen the hawks from the aviary. To me it is a question of keeping them on the dark for mature young birds are doing it the way I usually have done it. Which means some will be dropping flights about 4 weeks in to the young bird races but minimal losses.
Have a hawk trap set up now. Has been my experience, after having disposed of many hawks, catch and release ( after the dogs have scared the crap out of the trapped hawk) because if nuked another will take over the territory. Whereas the trapped one will not bother again. It's mate might, other species of hawks might also but at least one will not be attacking. Right or wrong, for this area, works best.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Those pesky hawks! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Those pesky hawks!   Those pesky hawks! EmptyMon Apr 03, 2017 6:38 pm

blueskylofts wrote:
oldstrain wrote:

I'm not sure yet what sort of little B it is.  It flew over my head this morning after one of our y/b's, but I was so concerned about the pigeon, I didn't really have a good look.

It was fast, but not as fast as our young birds though.  I don't think it killed this morning because I saw it coming back the opposite way to where it went first thing.  I reckon if it had killed, it would not still be chasing our birds.

Darren - you say get the birds out early 06:00 hrs if possible.  How can you do that with birds on the darkness?

Phil

darken the loft at 4pm take shutters off when its nightime so they wake to natural light
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Those pesky hawks! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Those pesky hawks!   Those pesky hawks! EmptyMon Apr 03, 2017 7:26 pm

Do have a pair of Northern Harriers nesting near the creek. Never been a problem.
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

Those pesky hawks! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Those pesky hawks!   Those pesky hawks! EmptyMon Apr 03, 2017 8:35 pm

a bloody nightmare
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Those pesky hawks! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Those pesky hawks!   Those pesky hawks! EmptyMon Apr 03, 2017 11:56 pm

At one location house was besides a apple orchard. Lots of Cooper hawks around.Seemed to hit early morning then noon then around 5 pm. Had two fly right in the loft with the pigeons. Had one hit a pigeon on the roof of the house. It went to the ground dead. Cooper saw me and took off. Other pigeons watched from the roof. Sat in a shed and waited. One hour later hawk was back and landed at the exact same spot he had killed the pigeon. I had moved the pigeon a few feet to get a clear shot. He looked around spotted it and hopped over to  it. 22 got him. They will return to scene of kill if disturbed.
Lucky here. Red tails, Kestrels Coopers are numerous. Have had a visit from a Peregrine but it could not catch an older young bird in a straight flight. Young headed for cedar trees and escaped. Very few around. Most other raptors are passing through. Pair of bald Eagles nesting 5 mils away but not a threat. As I see it, better here than the UK scenario.
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Those pesky hawks! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Those pesky hawks!   Those pesky hawks! EmptyTue Apr 04, 2017 6:30 am

oldstrain wrote:
blueskylofts wrote:
oldstrain wrote:

I'm not sure yet what sort of little B it is.  It flew over my head this morning after one of our y/b's, but I was so concerned about the pigeon, I didn't really have a good look.

It was fast, but not as fast as our young birds though.  I don't think it killed this morning because I saw it coming back the opposite way to where it went first thing.  I reckon if it had killed, it would not still be chasing our birds.

Darren - you say get the birds out early 06:00 hrs if possible.  How can you do that with birds on the darkness?

Phil

darken the loft at 4pm take shutters off when its nightime so they wake to natural light

Darren - That is exactly what I do. But it does not get light here until 07:50 hours.

Phil
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Those pesky hawks! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Those pesky hawks!   Those pesky hawks! EmptyTue Apr 04, 2017 7:35 am

about 7 am at present here but it will get lighter earlier as we move on through the month atb
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Those pesky hawks! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Those pesky hawks!   Those pesky hawks! EmptyWed Apr 05, 2017 1:53 am

peel bros wrote:
a bloody nightmare
Absolutely true Ray Smile Smile for many etc. I got hit last week here type of thing. One hen turned up Sunday dragging it's wing along the ground & a cock yesterday on Tuesday same, same as my little hen sadly. With my red cock (munch, munch) who got stuck in the fence I'm building up quite a team of the walking injured here unfortunately along with the one to the hawk last week. cheers
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Those pesky hawks! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Those pesky hawks!   Those pesky hawks! EmptyWed Apr 05, 2017 11:52 am

How many of you keep your darkness birds in when they are moulting?

Phil
Back to top Go down
redrog
Youngbird
Youngbird
redrog

Those pesky hawks! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Those pesky hawks!   Those pesky hawks! EmptyWed Apr 05, 2017 1:48 pm

blueskylofts wrote:
How many of you keep your darkness birds in when they are moulting?

Phil
yep
Back to top Go down
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird

Those pesky hawks! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Those pesky hawks!   Those pesky hawks! EmptyWed Apr 05, 2017 2:25 pm

1st year on dark for us so we will be trying ours by leaving them out and not forcing them, if they fly all well and good if not they'll be trapped straight away and we'll see how that works for us
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Those pesky hawks! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Those pesky hawks!   Those pesky hawks! EmptyWed Apr 05, 2017 7:37 pm

ours go out never flagged though...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Those pesky hawks! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Those pesky hawks!   Those pesky hawks! Empty

Back to top Go down

Those pesky hawks!
Page 1 of 1