Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» escaped birds return
RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 7:59 pm

» Weather today
RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 11:44 am

» Good Morning
RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 11:42 am

» King removes Patronage
RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE Emptyby George & Morgan Tue May 07, 2024 7:21 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 92 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 92 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE Vote_lcapRAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE Voting_barRAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE Vote_rcap 
David
RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE Vote_lcapRAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE Voting_barRAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE Vote_rcap 
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222742 messages in 14003 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE

Go down 
+3
oldstrain
halcanada
David
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE Empty
PostSubject: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE EmptySat Jul 14, 2018 8:12 pm

Just watched a programme regarding the training of raptors for falconry.

There is no doubt that a lot of love and devotion towards the raptor in question is on the same level as we put into our sport.

I would not mind having had a go at training a raptor, not for falconry but for pleasure.

I had tame jackdaws and a magpie as a youngster and to have any wild bird accepting you as a friend is a delight.

This of course does not excuse the raptor populations getting out of hand.

But the Raptor Alliance has everything in hand just as I said it would when first heard of the proposition.????????.

Sorry my mistake, it has as much chance of doing anything at all towards solving the problem as I have of being the first man on MARS.

I told the then General Manager it was a complete waste of time and money, he relied that he preferred the solicitors opinion.

There is of course a possible solution, all go and get yourself a raptor.

Regards,

I think it was said by those involved that by November 2014 the Government would have eased the problem, I wrote to the General Manager and said it was a complete waste of time and money, he replied that he prefered the solicitors opinion.

There is a solution lads and lasses, all go out and get yourself a raptor.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE EmptySat Jul 14, 2018 8:19 pm

how many years has this raptor scam been going with the rpra, be a few now I would rekon.....have they made any progress at all in those years...?

are we any further to having a bit of protection for our birds , or reducing the numbers of hawks / bops etc...?
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE EmptySat Jul 14, 2018 10:16 pm

There is new proposals being put forward for consideration regarding the welfare of animals etc; which has been published in the fancy press, there is nothing whatsoever, even were everything passed that will in any way help the sports situation, in fact it could make matters worse.

Anyone who thinks the present people in government give a jot a about our situation are living in dream land.

I wrote to the Government and still have their reply, very sorry for our problem but as the raptors are a protected species they could not help nor offer compensation when other countries do so when they suffer from a protected species.

The matter has been going on for over 5 -6 years.

Only a fraction of the money spent on this futile effort would have been needed to challenge our right, in court, to deal with raptors on our own property, just as farmers can do with dogs etc; attacking their sheep, even were we to lose the case we would have a sound starting point instead of wollowing in the dark.

But what can you expect from a mob that out of hand dismissed the view of the RPRA by a independant proffesional body ??????.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE EmptySun Jul 15, 2018 12:52 am

Not a problem here as such. Out here in the open. Cities it is different. From a young age mine observe the raptors from the safety of an aviary. When they do go out they are smart enough and strong enough to avoid them. Usual is for the birds to go high when a raptor is present. They can out fly them in a straight line. Have seen that. Raptors usually get the birds from a dive on them in the air or on the ground. The white rump, if sprayed with an animal colour marker, red or green, also deters them from fellow fanciers obsevations.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE EmptySun Jul 15, 2018 9:45 am

just last night I had a yb back with a hole in its chest that's 5 out of 27 ybs that have had a injury and that's just loft flying training has not started yet ...do what you have to and keep quiet nobodys coming to help us the government are hell bent on doing the opposite of what we want anyway it seems ,it will all come home to roost when pigeon racing is finished and species are wiped out due to lack of prey but will anyone care ,I doubt many will plenty animals hunted to extinction by man
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE EmptySun Jul 15, 2018 9:47 am

Hal, it is interesting regarding the white markings etc;, the raptors do not appear to worry the wood pigeons as their are thousands of them that could be easy prey, I wonder if the white markings at the back of the neck of the woodpigeon puts the raptors off?.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE EmptySun Jul 15, 2018 1:42 pm

Misty. From what I understand the white rump of a pigeon is a bullseye for the raptor. Something to focus on.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE EmptySun Jul 15, 2018 1:49 pm

did read an article some time ago stating the white rump may put off the raptors but it certainly has not stopped them here
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE EmptySun Jul 15, 2018 7:42 pm

Hal, you may be right regarding our pigeons but the wood pigeons markings at the back of the neck may deter them from above, it seems strange that the raptors very rarely take wood pigeons when they would be very easy prey.

In nature many animals use colour as a means of survival to fool those who prey on them, into thinking they are another species not in their best interests to attempt to eat them.

It would be ideal if we could come up with a means of marking the pigeons in away that would deter the raptors.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE EmptySun Jul 15, 2018 7:45 pm

or could it be the hawk/bop prefers a corn fed pigeon, rather than one which survives on scraps, and bits of leaves etc...?
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE EmptySun Jul 15, 2018 8:22 pm

I doubt vey much if a raptor can tell what the difference is between a wood pigeon or a racing pigeon regarding the taste etc; and I dread to think what many racing pigeons will taste like with all the rubbish some fanciers put down their throats/

The wood pigeon in it's natural state feeds on the natural food available at different times of the year, which will be totally relative to it's well being according to nature and there is no reason to think that any of it is rubbish

Regards..

Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE EmptyMon Jul 16, 2018 8:39 am

had my ybs out yesterday, suddenly noticed what I think was a male sparrow hawk fly by, light brown it was, and slightly bigger than a pigeon....never bothered the pigeons, but was it on a reconnaissance mission , to bring the hen back another day...?
Back to top Go down
redrog
Youngbird
Youngbird
redrog

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE EmptyMon Jul 16, 2018 11:20 am

the male sits out quite often by me, makes no attempt to take the pigeons, all down to size, the hen being 1/3 bigger again has no problem taking fully grown cock as it did last year, the woodys are too big for even the hen to bring down cleanly although I have seen her try more than once, flew hawks myself for over 10years and have the utmost respect for them, the problem we have with bop is manmade, have no idea how to resolve the problem but having flown a male red tail who would bring down anything from squirrel to mallard, these could have been painted pink with purple spots and he wouldn't have batted an eyelid once he locked on to whatever he'd seen he was pure death on the wing, I loved him but he eventually picked on a 9lb hare (he weighed 1lb 13ozs) who kicked 6 bells out of him before I could get to him, he died I gave it up after that, for us lot round here the female sparr is unrelenting, but her habitat has been demolished so she's here now and that's the way it is
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE EmptyMon Jul 16, 2018 1:39 pm

Can well understand your love of the raptor, I agree the problem is realy man made.

If you take nature as a whole and all the animals therein there are not many that do not give rise to admiration in one way or another and the less man had interfered the better matters would be now in nearly every respect.

The saddest part of course is when we lose a well loved pet of any kind.

Live and let live is not a bad motto, but ????????????.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE EmptyTue Jul 17, 2018 1:35 am

There are many hawks/falcons around here. Red tail is not a problem. 50 inch wing span. to slow. American Kestrel and Merlin are fast but usually to small. Coopers hawk and the Peregrine are the biggest damage inflicters. There are many other raptors also but not a problem here.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE EmptyTue Jul 17, 2018 10:52 am

With all those different raptors, Hal, there must be an enormous number of pry species,

Just what do they all feed on?

Regards.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE EmptyTue Jul 17, 2018 1:44 pm

Misty. Numerous species of birds. Rabbits, possums, rodents, cats occasionally. Enough live food around for them.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE EmptyWed Jul 18, 2018 1:42 am

28 c today but low humidity. Took the dogs for a walk. The big Mastiff spotted a Coyote coming out of the corn field. He and the female chased it down. Female is younger and faster. She got there first. Big guy finished it off. Only took minutes. Turkey vultures will dispose of the body.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE EmptyWed Jul 18, 2018 10:25 am

Hal,

The weather over here has been hotter than I can remember other than when I was a kid and you could cook eggs on the pavement.

You are blessed to have so much wild life around you, you cannot beat raw nature.

As for wild animals in these parts. once you could go for a nice country drive and see all kinds of birds and animals, my wife and I eat out as much as eating in as i it saves me washing up and is just as cheap, we go on country runs and see who can spot what animal, on runs where we once could count into the tens we often see none.

They try to blame the farmers etc; but many places have been unchanged in every respect for over 100 years and have ideal habitats and an abundance of food.

Once you could go to a place called Turkey Carpet to hear the nightingale or go and hear the Dawn Chorus, now, if you are lucky you may see a crow etc;

I am afraid once mankind becomes involved in the end things eventually come to a bad end.

I am afraid to make things better and acceptable we would need a wishing wand that worked.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE EmptyWed Jul 18, 2018 4:57 pm

Hal,
Just come back from a 35 mile round country trip, weather hot buit bearable, animals seen, sheep, cows, one cat, the odd crow and thats it.

Had an hour in Peasholme Park, about a thousand sea gulls, countless Canadian geese, ducks, the odd pigeon, the old folks used to feed a large flock of pigeons in the park but the Council had a pest control firm cull them because some city lover said they had made a mess on the band stand roof, she obviusly did not know that it was the sea gulls because the roof has even more droppings now.

Wish the city lovers would stay there.

It annoys me when the old folks one enjoyment was taken from them because of some individual who comes once in a blue moon to our town.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE EmptyThu Jul 19, 2018 12:53 am

Counsil ...sometimes wonder.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE EmptyThu Jul 19, 2018 5:18 am

halcanada wrote:
Counsil ...sometimes wonder.
Same same Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I suggest they forget etc bounce bounce who actually pays their wages at times Hal Wink Wink Girl friend of my wife Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes had one plant protruding onto her side path by about 2/3 inches. 900 dollar fine Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad. Unfortunately for them bounce bounce she was a friend of her local federal member here & he sorted them all out & she finished up paying nothing, fortunately. cheers
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE EmptyFri Jul 20, 2018 11:07 am

Up your neck of the woods misty .at hinderwell. Went to Scarborough Wednesday. Whitby today then home tomorrow
Back to top Go down
redrog
Youngbird
Youngbird
redrog

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE EmptyFri Jul 20, 2018 11:24 am

peel bros wrote:
Up your neck of the woods misty .at hinderwell. Went to Scarborough Wednesday. Whitby today then home tomorrow
worth going to Whitby just for fish & chips best in world Wink
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE EmptyFri Jul 20, 2018 1:57 pm

If I had known you were in Scarborough I would have had a natter, we are not posh but you would have been more than welcome.

Hope you enjoyed your visit, there are not many better places to live for those who love a variety in life.

Sea, shops, and an abundance of countryside within walking distance.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE   RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE Empty

Back to top Go down

RAPTORS ARE LOVEABLE
Page 1 of 1