Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE Emptyby Knackered Today at 11:04 pm

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE Emptyby Knackered Today at 10:49 pm

» Good Morning
RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE Emptyby Knackered Today at 10:34 pm

» good luck weekend
RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE Emptyby Knackered Today at 10:30 pm

» escaped birds return
RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE Emptyby Knackered Today at 10:24 pm

» Scandalous .......
RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:25 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 106 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 105 Guests :: 2 Bots

Knackered

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE Vote_lcapRAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE Voting_barRAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE Vote_rcap 
David
RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE Vote_lcapRAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE Voting_barRAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222602 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE Empty
PostSubject: RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE   RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 9:03 pm

Despite the fact that watch my pigeons like a HAWK when they are out today been a total disaster.
Firstly the youngsters were out and along came a cock falcon and took a bird like a shot right in front of me, then within the hour I went down to the loft and found a youngster freshly killed and half eaten by a sparrow hawk, just 4 feet from the loft, I couldn't see it from where I stand while working from home, its the only blind spot as there is a dip in the field stopping me seeing the very bottom of the loft.
It must have hit it while walking around the loft, the other youngsters were on the loft and must have watched but didn't fly off or anything, so its birds out same time tomorrow and lets see what happens.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE   RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 9:21 pm

Usually have early ones out this time of year, but not this year. Brutal Winter.
This is a migratory route for many birds. Many Raptors. Only bothersome ones (once the goshawks are through heading North) are the odd Peregrine and the Coopers. Merlins, Red Tailed hawks, Marsh Harriers, bald eagles etc not too much of a problem. young have access when weaned to a large aviary. They pick up what is around and threatening. Used a Swedish Hawk trap and caught Coopers. Quit killing them as another pair will just move in to their territory. Put a fridge magnet on the head of the caught ones and take them 30 miles away. Seems to work than a CD of an eagle Owl calling, CD's hanging from trees, stuff like that. but again, have had crows mob a young bird on the loft and injure it. Unusual. But like the crows around, they will give warning if a hawk is near. Assume I will lose some this year, name of the game.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE   RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 9:24 pm

PS. Raptors seem to have a set pattern I can usually figure that if a Cooper is around at a certain hour he will be back again close to the same time next day. So stagger the times out.
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE   RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 9:35 pm

Hi halcanada, thanks or your info but Im sorry to say I am an expert on raptors this sort of thing happens almost every week here in Wales. Just mad at myself for not being on the ball enough today caught with my pants down, but that's it now it wont happen again.

Peregrines have been bashing us this season there are some lads who have lost 8 from the race team in a few short weeks while exercising getting them going for racing.

Wales has the largest population per square mile of peregrines in the world is my guess, and that's a fact there are 12 nest sites I know of within 10 miles, all with a pair or 2 pairs at some sites and thats without un mated last years and yearling falcons, who can guess how many that's is.
Mental.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE   RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 9:41 pm

Thanks for the info. As stated Peregrines are not populous around here. Fortunately. I am not a Raptor expert. Sorry if I came across that way. Know my threats around here is all. With that many around surely there is a way to get rid of them? Cyanide a few tumblers?
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE   RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 9:47 pm

There is ways and I would suggest that it is being implemented where possible, but most people are not in a position to do anything and must just bare it.

However that said without implying anything directly it will be sorted out soon at my lofts, but as you mentioned its always limited with the sparrow hawks as they move around so much, the bird which hit my youngster might have been passing through as I haven't seen any flying about here for a while, unlike the peregrines which are here daily.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE   RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 10:04 pm

Seems like you must be dedicated to racing! My problems are usually the four legged critters. Those I can do something about. Birds flying are on their own. Red tailed hawk, big and clumsy, hit my 600 mile winner when he was pecking gravel off the gravel roads we have here. Under a large Maple tree. He could of picked a lesser bird. Threw the bird in the woodpile and went in to the house disgusted. Pit bull was setting up a ruckus so let him out. Right to the wood pile and grabbed the redtail which had apparently watched me and came down to eat. Got the hawk but no joy as I lost a very good pigeon. Oh well. Wish you luck with your raptors.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE   RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 10:58 pm

sorry to hear this has happened martyn, I know you suffer badly with the problem where you are........hope you get it sorted quickly.
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE   RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 11:20 pm

Thanks david, I hope it will be sorted tomorrow..... Wink 
Back to top Go down
stormqueen
Youngbird
Youngbird
stormqueen

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE   RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 11:28 pm

martyn.
my hart goes out to you.
most time am looking for cats. sorry for you guys in wales.
it must be a thought to let your bird out.
john
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE   RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE EmptyFri Apr 04, 2014 8:43 pm

Thanks john, just the way it is mate, just do what we can..lol
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE   RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE EmptyFri Apr 04, 2014 11:16 pm

dreading LETTING MY YBS OUT, THEY BEEN OUT FOR A LOOK AROUND BUT A BIT WORRIED FOR WHEN THEY EVENTUALLY TAKE OFF.......... affraid 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE   RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE Empty

Back to top Go down

RAPTORS ON THE RAMPAGE
Page 1 of 1