Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Future of ths sport.  Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:35 am

» Scandalous .......
Future of ths sport.  Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
Future of ths sport.  Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
Future of ths sport.  Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Future of ths sport.  Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:25 pm

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Future of ths sport.  Emptyby David Yesterday at 12:38 pm

» Good Morning
Future of ths sport.  Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 11:19 am

» Morgan's new job
Future of ths sport.  Emptyby Knackered Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:43 pm

» Another find
Future of ths sport.  Emptyby David Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:14 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Future of ths sport.  20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 93 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 93 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Future of ths sport.  Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Future of ths sport.  Vote_lcapFuture of ths sport.  Voting_barFuture of ths sport.  Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Future of ths sport.  Vote_lcapFuture of ths sport.  Voting_barFuture of ths sport.  Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222577 messages in 14000 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Future of ths sport.  Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Future of ths sport.  Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Future of ths sport.

Go down 
+2
MISTY
halcanada
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Future of ths sport.  Empty
PostSubject: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 2:51 am

All on here have or has had pigeons. Methods and ideas are abundant. Some very informative. This Forum is for pigeon fliers I assume. Off topics are good. Livens up a recycle of means and methods. Regarding pigeons. However, new members do not post. They look in pick up info and do whatever. Biggest push that I can see is to get new folks racing pigeons. This Forum may help maybe's. To join they must have looked up the site so are interested anyway. Otherwise just an information site. Learn and leave. One cannot influence the minds of the masses on a Forum. No matter what is posted. Do a survey in the UK. Eliminate pigeon racing or support it. Use all publications available. See what response is.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 8:01 am

Tried everything in the book to get fanciers beyond their own little plot.

Locally a bunch of fanciers have managed to get local publicity giving the sport a good write up and encouraging new members etc;

If this was done in all areas perhaps a start could be made to promote it in a good manner and at the same time point out it does not take a million pounds to become a fully involved fancier, and the help is there for anyone interested.

Think many people are put off by all the commecial rubbish which far outnumbers anything that shows it as a sport offering immense pleasure with as little effort as one decides to put in, not all the rubbish about hard work involved, it can be done and successfully with very little pomp and cerimony.

But it is hard to awaken the Im Alrights.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 8:15 am

why worry armaggedon is round the corner Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 8:24 am

At Blackpool last weekend the RPRA had a stall and display dedicated to introducing younger fanciers to pigeon racing. There was a healthy interest, we had to queue for 15 - 20 mins to speak with the officer. There were information packs with case studies on young individuals and also information on school lofts where pigeon racing is part of the lessons (geography, biology, maths etc) and the birds raced on weekends. There was a young lady in front of us with 3 kids, they already had a few racers down on eggs but wanted rings and a club to join. They also had a bird in a box which someone had bought for them. The RPRA guy couldn't have done more to help them and they went away keen as mustard. We got the info on school lofts for the school my wife works, who knows?

I also met 3 fanciers having a drink, one had started pigeons a couple of years ago and the 2 friends with him had only just started at the end of 2018. Although not teenagers they would certainly be classed as "younger" fanciers today. It was their first visit to a big show and they were loving it. Local fanciers had helped them build lofts, welcomed them to the club, and donated baskets, nest bowls, drinkers etc even stock pigeons.

I can't deny memberships are on the decline but I certainly don't think its a black cloud, all doom and gloom. Still some people out there doing their bit.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 11:59 am

At last Oldstrain you have got something I entirely agree with, ARMAGEDDON.

I also think you do a good job with Alfie and the school chidren but there is no point in everyone agreeing with things they disagree with and eveyone should be entitled to express their opinion without sarcastic remarks because I can assure you, you would e on the losing end.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 12:47 pm

barnie,

Good to hear that at last things are being taken more seriously and with a bit of luck things may buck up.

The problem is the sport is losing members for natural reasons on a too large a number to even maintain the present membership never mind increase it.

The local lads have done all they can to encourage youngsters, the odd one or two have joined and left within a short period for varying reasons.

You are left with the older fanciers and the new breed, the latter few and far between.

Those who talk about enjoying themselves, no doom and gloom are in dream land, the facts point to the sport as on it's last legs, unless vast changes are made to enable more people of different ages and means to participate in a manner not too demanding on time nor money.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 4:48 pm

I would point out that at no time have I ever said my way or nothing.

I have always said there are alternatives to the methods many use which need less time and less money and just, or more, successful than the methods used by some.

If you read the methods and costs and time consuming of some it is enough to put anyone off for life.

If you want to attract new members you should do all you can to make it as less costly and time consuming as possible and not attach numerous totally un necessary tasks., along with filling them with a load of aids to win which do more harm than good.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 4:56 pm

forget Armageddon some of us have to be positive as much as we can especially with kids around ...we have alfies class coming to our garden lofts when the ybs are in the nest the school is in 10 minutes walking distance ...they will get 1 yb each to be raced here so they can follow its progress and prizes for the top 3 ...raffle tickets no1 to 28 for the kids to draw their specific bird and a points chart in the classroom for first 5 to the loft each week
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 5:46 pm

My late friend, Steve Spinks, thought up the idea of going into schools and showing the children how pigeons and our sport functioned, he was in the process of making a video for schools when he unfortunately passed away.

This was in the early 1970s. when he, another friend and myself could see the writing on the wall if matters were not attended to regarding the sports future.

That was the time attention should have been given towards the sports future, we would now be seeing the rewards the children of that time who took an interest would be comparatively young fanciers now and kept the membership within reasonable numbers.

Nothing was done.

Today it is a little late, the young children in school now will not be able to become full time fanciers for many years by which time it will be too late.

However, no one would deny that doing what oldstrain is doing is very commendable pity he was not around in the 70s .

Regards.

Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 5:54 pm

its the same with a lot of british traditions , children are more interested in computer games and sat in front of the tv, while the parents are at the pub, kids don't seem to play out any more, all they do is copy / imitate so called celebrities on tv, and whats the latest trend.

society in general is in decline, little wonder pigeon racing/keeping is not on the list of their priorities.

I`d be surprised if our cub was still going within the next 5 years.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 6:11 pm

Something sadly wrong, David, when a bonny young lass with all her life before her, parents well off all she wants or needs, and commits suicide.

Such an event would have been front page news for weeks not so now, nothing shocks any more.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 8:05 pm

David wrote:
its the same with a lot of british traditions , children are more interested in computer games and sat in front of the tv, while the parents are at the pub, kids don't seem to play out any more, all they do is copy / imitate so called celebrities on tv, and whats the latest trend.

society in general is in decline, little wonder pigeon racing/keeping is not on the list of their priorities.

I`d be surprised if our cub was still going within the next 5 years.
Spin the bottle any which way David etc Wink Wink I suggest Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes & your conclusion on our society today I suspect sadly bounce bounce is about correct as such. Now Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes any comments forthcoming here lol! lol! lol! please leave the religious factor out as such Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes & give the Armageddon factor also lol! lol! lol!  a spell for a while also, maybe Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 9:46 pm

barnie wrote:
At Blackpool last weekend the RPRA had a stall and display dedicated to introducing younger fanciers to pigeon racing. There was a healthy interest, we had to queue for 15 - 20 mins to speak with the officer. There were information packs with case studies on young individuals and also information on school lofts where pigeon racing is part of the lessons (geography, biology, maths etc) and the birds raced on weekends. There was a young lady in front of us with 3 kids, they already had a few racers down on eggs but wanted rings and a club to join. They also had a bird in a box which someone had bought for them. The RPRA guy couldn't have done more to help them and they went away keen as mustard. We got the info on school lofts for the school my wife works, who knows?

I also met 3 fanciers having a drink, one had started pigeons a couple of years ago and the 2 friends with him had only just started at the end of 2018. Although not teenagers they would certainly be classed as "younger" fanciers today. It was their first visit to a big show and they were loving it. Local fanciers had helped them build lofts, welcomed them to the club, and donated baskets, nest bowls, drinkers etc even stock pigeons.

I can't deny memberships are on the decline but I certainly don't think its a black cloud, all doom and gloom. Still some people out there doing their bit.
Great little read Barnie Smile Smile most enjoyable etc. So maybe Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes not all doom & gloom at the end of the day as such bounce bounce as you say Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 9:54 pm

MISTY wrote:
Something sadly wrong, David, when a bonny young lass with all her life before her, parents well off all  she wants or needs, and commits suicide.

Such an event would have been front page news for weeks not so now, nothing shocks any more.

Regards.
Couldn't agree more Misty. Nothing more tragic I suggest Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad than when you see some young folk commit suicide etc. Life in front of them "positive thing" & the decide to do what they do type of thing. Most cases bring a life time of pain to those they leave behind sadly & it's taken to their grave at the end of the day I would suggest. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 9:57 pm

Agree one can have too much of a good thing, as the saying goes, Knackered.

So lets look at the problems facing the sport.

There used to be numerous opprtunities for allotment holders to have a pigeon loft, many have been overtaken by councils etc; and although they are obliged to have so many they can put restrictions on their use.

All the new housing estates that I see going up have no gardens in which a pigeon loft could be accomodated and it is these mid class housing that most fanciers come from.

Open plan seems the thing.

Then we have other estates where the most houses built are detached and not the type fanciers usually occupy, many in our area are bought by the rich as holiday homes, but they take up land where double the amount of housing could be built.

So in many cases even were a person keen to have a loft he/she may find it impossible to find a site for a loft.

Maybe if we could make the government apeciate that the sport may help to deal with some of the problems todays youth has to deal with they may just help the sport out.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 10:27 pm

MISTY wrote:
Agree one can have too much of a good thing, as the saying goes, Knackered.

So lets look at  the problems facing the sport.

There used to be numerous opprtunities for allotment holders to have a pigeon loft, many have been overtaken by councils etc; and although they are obliged to have so many they can put restrictions on their use.

All the new housing estates that I see going up have no gardens in which a pigeon loft could be accomodated and it is these mid class housing that most fanciers come from.

Open plan seems the thing.

Then we have other estates where the most houses built are detached and not the type fanciers usually occupy, many in our area are bought by the rich as holiday homes, but they take up land where double the amount of housing could be built.

So in many cases even were a person keen to have a loft he/she may find it impossible to find a site for a loft.

Maybe if we could make the government apeciate that the sport may help to deal with some  of the problems todays youth has to deal with they may just help the sport out.

Regards.

Open planning is a good thing Misty on average I suggest Smile Smile from a local point thou here  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes councils now sadly are not interested I've found. 50 years ago here we built high rise apartments for the poor which turned into slum areas by our standards today unfortunately. Today they still build high rise apartments sadly & now call them town houses for the rich & the elite here bounce bounce which in the end will be the slums of the future from my perspective. Then Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes we have many new housing estates popping up all over the place Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad which are dog box size & with no public transport system on tap, for the poor buggers that have to live in them sadly if the can afford to buy there  Wink  Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 10:37 pm

Afraid, Knackered, the only solution, a magic wand.

Regards
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 10:48 pm

MISTY wrote:
Afraid, Knackered, the only solution, a magic wand.

Regards
lol! lol! lol! Could be so Wink Wink suggest on average thou & the way things are around this plot of ours Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes it will require one huge, huge magic wand etc to maybe have any effect I'm affraid I suspect Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  EmptyTue Jan 29, 2019 2:34 am

I live out in the Boondocks. Suits me fine!!
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  EmptyTue Jan 29, 2019 8:48 am

halcanada wrote:
All on here have or has had pigeons. Methods and ideas are abundant. Some very informative.  This Forum is for pigeon fliers I assume. Off topics are good. Livens up a recycle of means and methods. Regarding pigeons. However, new members do not post. They look in pick up info and do whatever. Biggest push that I can see is to get new folks racing pigeons. This Forum may help maybe's. To join they must have looked up the site so are interested anyway. Otherwise just an information site. Learn and leave. One cannot influence the minds of the masses on a Forum. No matter what is posted. Do a survey in the UK. Eliminate pigeon racing or support it. Use all publications available. See what response is.
Been watching the thoroughbred horse sales today from New Zealand here Hal Smile Smile 52 million dollars of horse flesh went under the hammer there so far, at an average of 140,000 odd dollars Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Gave me a thought bubble moment lol! lol! lol! So  Wink  Wink  how do you think this sport of ours would go bounce bounce if one could bet on our pigeons like the do with the horse racing fraternity along the mug punters out there etc Smile Smile & our sport got a percentage of the take type of thing. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  EmptyTue Jan 29, 2019 9:47 am

You may not be far out, Knackered, the Chinese are the most ardent gamblers in the world, and they pay millions of pounds for pigeons, if it is possible they will adopt it if it involves gambling.

So we may indeed see pigeons being subject to more commercialism.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  EmptyTue Jan 29, 2019 10:29 am

To get back to the sports future.

When I was very young fanciers would encourage youngsters to sit with them and watch the pigeons and tell them what was going on and that was the start of many youngsters life as fanciers.

Some would also let us see the pigeons return from a race, the fact is that I had pigeons from the age of around 8 and by the time I was 12. 13 sending to races and at 16 in partnership with a much older miner, and not by any means a SILENT one, I did my share of EVERYTHING.

In doubt very much if I had not been able to see the inside of the sport by visiting fanciers and actually seeing what was involved I would have been a life long fancier, much of the enjoyment I have had from the sport has not included racing.

I would always have kept animals but maybe not pigeons to race.

Now compare that with today.

In fact there is no comparison.

We are now attempting to attract new fanciers into a activity where much of the enjoyment has been removed, is over commercialised and seemingly beyond the pockets of many.

Many fanciers let their pigeons out for an hour or two, morning and night and they are fastened up for the rest of the time, must not disturb the widowhood pigeons let them fester and digest all the rubbish put tdown their throats, make em race better.

I am not a kill joy but a realist, the youth of today are more informed from a very young age in all matters than ever previously and in my opinion we need to change or the sport will not survive.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  EmptyTue Jan 29, 2019 4:05 pm

Under even the most depressing circumstances you can always have a laugh.

My wife has a natter with the daighter onTuesday afternoon, so I take Misty out earlier than is usual.

There has been liesure complex built reatively recently and I have often said we shoud go and have a look.

So I decided just to pop in as the daughter had come earlier than normal.

They have made a good job of it but I never got out of the car and had a little nap to pass the time.

On going out there is a great big sign saying, THANKS FOR BEING ACTIVE. ???????.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  EmptyTue Jan 29, 2019 8:07 pm

MISTY wrote:

My wife has a natter with the daighter onTuesday afternoon, so I take Misty out earlier than is usual.

There has been liesure complex built reatively recently and I have often said we shoud go and have a look.

They have made a good job of it but I never got out of the car and had a little nap to pass the time.

On going out  there is a great big sign saying, THANKS FOR BEING ACTIVE. ???????.

Regards.

lol! lol! lol! Another Nanna nap type person it appears Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Misty Smile Smile. Never did quite understand when young, why my nanna (god bless her) had nanna naps on a regular type basis as such Smile Smile. Found out Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad through recent type experiences here now Wink Wink it comes with old age, sadly Smile Smile unfortunately Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  EmptyTue Jan 29, 2019 10:55 pm

MISTY wrote:

On going out  there is a great big sign saying, THANKS FOR BEING ACTIVE. ???????.

Regards.

I call it Blue humour here etc Misty Wink Wink & anybody that may have been in the forces as such would know what I'm on about I suspect . Remember a young fella once Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes smart a**e type Smile Smile  lol!  lol!  lol! thought he knew every thing about every thing at the time, but he actually knew nothing about nothing etc & by chance Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes he found himself in the middle of a mine field Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad by mistake, unfortunately & he then thought bounce bounce I have two options here I'm affraid  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes go into the panic, panic panic mode & panic or re-access the situation in a big big way, with a bit of blue humour to help save the day Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Future of ths sport.    Future of ths sport.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Future of ths sport.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next