Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Different strokes. Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:23 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Different strokes. Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:13 pm

» Good Morning
Different strokes. Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 5:15 pm

» escaped birds return
Different strokes. Emptyby David Today at 1:51 pm

» good luck weekend
Different strokes. Emptyby Knackered Today at 9:16 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Different strokes. Emptyby Knackered Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 pm

» Scandalous .......
Different strokes. Emptyby Knackered Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
Different strokes. Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
Different strokes. Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:41 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Different strokes. 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 119 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 118 Guests :: 2 Bots

barnie

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Different strokes. Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Different strokes. Vote_lcapDifferent strokes. Voting_barDifferent strokes. Vote_rcap 
David
Different strokes. Vote_lcapDifferent strokes. Voting_barDifferent strokes. Vote_rcap 
Knackered
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222679 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Different strokes. Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Different strokes. Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Different strokes.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Different strokes. Empty
PostSubject: Different strokes.   Different strokes. EmptyWed Mar 27, 2019 1:11 am

What makes a good, superior pigeon? Genetics? Eyesign? Motivation? Medication? Health? Or a few other things people swear on?
Overlooked or never discussed, to my knowledge anyway is intelligence. One cannot see it. Comes in various ways. Thinking pigeon. How it reacts to various situations. Loft or racing. Will observe closely this year. But hard to evaluate. Will try for those birds only. Cannot be too many anyway. But major cut down this year for next years racing will have to give it a shot. One old bird can part the bob wires and get out. Racer put to stock. His son young bird first time out flew for 2 hours. Dropped quite a distance from the loft. Called him. He flew towards me. Opened the loft door and he flew right in. I do not keep them short on feed. He wanted safety as hawks are around. Will see what happens with this new direction.
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

Different strokes. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Different strokes.   Different strokes. EmptyWed Mar 27, 2019 7:10 am

Interesting.
Iv had a couple that could part/flick the bobs Twisted Evil
Pain in the FA
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Different strokes. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Different strokes.   Different strokes. EmptyWed Mar 27, 2019 9:01 am

If you view intelligence then humans are a good example of the complexity it involves.

I think one of the most intelligent people was wheelchair bound.

Many others were incapable of any kind of athletic involvement.

Come in all shapes, sizes and colour.

In pigeons you need a combination, all in one bundle of feathers, intelligence , ability, and a fanciers ability to utilize both to the best advantage.

Simple as climbing Everest in an afternoons stroll.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

Different strokes. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Different strokes.   Different strokes. EmptyWed Mar 27, 2019 9:21 am

A good pigeon can teach a poor fancier.
It did me when i raced natural as a kid.
Had a cock whose best nest possition was between eggs upto sitting 3 days.
He got himself right.
Weight down, ate the smaller grains and no obvious food in his crop.
I used to be a heavy feeder.
study
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Different strokes. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Different strokes.   Different strokes. EmptyWed Mar 27, 2019 9:28 am

With open loft, observation is the key to success.

Watched my pigeons for many hours, all have their own particular preferences which a good fancier takes advantage of.

Not Rocket Science, just common sense, sadly lacking in our sport.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Different strokes. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Different strokes.   Different strokes. EmptyThu Mar 28, 2019 10:37 am

Agree Misty... except 'Observation' is paramount on any system. That is very lacking with many fanciers I believe.
Remember well some pointers regards observation inside and out side the loft by a good mentor in Barry Andrews. He said always write down every time you basket the order they we  will return from a race and if you can from even a training toss.

This was after learning or being told what to look for and why!
It happened one day when he was at my loft and a late comer came in. He asked after I'd told him 'That flipping is always nigh last ... ought to shot of it!
Now I don't know what he saw, honest!
But asked for it. So I caught and took it out to him saying 'Never be any good... always a homer I guess'.

His smiled changed when saying, skaking his head in disbelief ' Tou what. Rest him this week full stop. He'll be your first bird back this coming week from Perth'! He's eyes twinkled and gave me his knowing look.
So... Well I did that. Not out at all. Not only first home, but 3rd in a very strong club.

Later, fom him, I learned how and when they spoke to me  - I doubt as good him - when going in the loft. The ones saying 'Send Me'. The twinkle in an alert eye. The eye Liner / make up. Their' stance and even the dance that they performed. Of course with Observation during the week, pointers so to speak added up and bear merit, both good and bad..

Now I often hear, and some time with truth, fanciers when behind saying 'Oh I knew that, never expected any difference... I sent then as trainers.
Now that in its self asks a lot of questions... Ones the fancier should take on board!

Last edited by Daz on Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Different strokes. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Different strokes.   Different strokes. EmptyFri Mar 29, 2019 7:51 pm

observation is indeed a major factor on any system
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Different strokes. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Different strokes.   Different strokes. EmptySat Mar 30, 2019 10:20 am

Often hear a smirk when I say I love watching the pigeons on the roof tops. they swoop down. Clap upwards necks out stretched and fly with gusto. I loved the sound of a rushing wind when passing over head.

Also I note the ones not so. The laziness. the hunched up ones etc.

First off it may well be 'Toxins' in the blood. A feed of Linseed only. Light seeds, Canary etc. The REST is the most important … Idiots say 'Lazy git, it needs a toss or two' … and make things worse.
Only fit birds get trained to be fitter!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Different strokes. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Different strokes.   Different strokes. Empty

Back to top Go down

Different strokes.
Page 1 of 1