Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
naughty pigeons Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:23 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
naughty pigeons Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:13 pm

» Good Morning
naughty pigeons Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 5:15 pm

» escaped birds return
naughty pigeons Emptyby David Today at 1:51 pm

» good luck weekend
naughty pigeons Emptyby Knackered Today at 9:16 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
naughty pigeons Emptyby Knackered Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 pm

» Scandalous .......
naughty pigeons Emptyby Knackered Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
naughty pigeons Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
naughty pigeons Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:41 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) naughty pigeons 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 93 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 92 Guests :: 1 Bot

barnie

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.naughty pigeons Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
naughty pigeons Vote_lcapnaughty pigeons Voting_barnaughty pigeons Vote_rcap 
David
Knackered
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222679 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
naughty pigeons Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
naughty pigeons Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

naughty pigeons

Go down 
+5
halcanada
Boosey
MISTY
Daz
denise washington
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
denise washington
Chipping
Chipping
denise washington

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons EmptyFri Mar 29, 2019 6:29 pm

Hi all dont know if ive asked this before but some of my adult are killing my babies as soon as they get their pin feathers on they go kill them what do i do got nest boxes for them but they will only lay on floor they have got a mind of their own lol Mad
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons EmptyFri Mar 29, 2019 6:52 pm

Only reason I know of this happening is because they are trying to drive the youngsters out of the nest bowl for room wanting to mate again room. Could be the Cock birds are ardent and driving. Another nest bowl Bigger Nest box may be the answer. I use to love an extra bowl opposite in the same box. Half a house brick, or wooden block. They will still then rear the youngsters safely one side …
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons EmptyFri Mar 29, 2019 6:55 pm

Nice to hear from you again denise, wish under better circumstances, sorry you are having problems.

Just exactly where are your pigeons nesting?.

It may be that when both parents are off the nest feeding when the young are old enough to be left alone and thinking of laying again the other pigeons close by take advantage and pick on the young.

You should insist that they lay in a their nest box and not on the floor.

Once they claim a nest box they will defend it and you should have no trouble.

Very hard to know what to advise without knowing all the details but hope you solve the problem.

Ragards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons EmptyFri Mar 29, 2019 7:16 pm

denise, do you have nest bowls in the nest boxes andare the pigeons just building nests on the floor?

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons EmptyFri Mar 29, 2019 8:44 pm

Put shavings and straw in the bowl in the nest box. Don’t leave any nesting materials on the floor Denise. Shut them in until they’ve laid if you have to.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons EmptyFri Mar 29, 2019 11:45 pm

Daz wrote:
Only reason I know of this happening is because they are trying to drive the youngsters out of the nest bowl  for room wanting to mate again room.  Could be the Cock birds are ardent and driving. Another nest bowl Bigger Nest box  may be the answer. I use to love an extra bowl opposite in the same box. Half a house brick, or wooden block. They will still then rear the youngsters safely one side …
Afte this years disaster do the same thing.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons EmptySat Mar 30, 2019 3:54 am

Daz wrote:
Only reason I know of this happening is because they are trying to drive the youngsters out of the nest bowl  for room wanting to mate again room.  Could be the Cock birds are ardent and driving. Another nest bowl Bigger Nest box  may be the answer. I use to love an extra bowl opposite in the same box. Half a house brick, or wooden block. They will still then rear the youngsters safely one side …
Smile Smile Magic little thing Daz Wink Wink etc bounce bounce a Brick as such lol! lol! lol! if used the right way in ones loft I suggest. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons EmptySat Mar 30, 2019 9:22 am

Never ever known parents peck their young but known them feed them when sitting next pair of eggs.

Would be interesting to know the actual facts.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons EmptySat Mar 30, 2019 10:10 am

Have had 3 times! When first setting up. A fancier said encourage it to have another nest box. Will be a better racer too looking out for two nest boxes. Found that a good idea, but was awkward to do. Next time another fancier said take the youngsters out of the nest bowl and put them on straw the other side of the box. that worked.
Third time a little later I just took out the side of A next nest box, and the one it was in. Worked a treat. Now I always had room for TWO bowls in the nest box.
Yes it is a rarity … But a right pain and upsetting when it happens.
Only benefit - if any, is that the cock bird races better.
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons EmptySat Mar 30, 2019 12:44 pm

If they are all feeding youngbirds or have recently put a good covering of straw in a corner away from any feed trays or drinker and put the lot on the bottom.
study
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons EmptySat Mar 30, 2019 1:39 pm

Suppose with open loft and young and old together is a different situation to most, can understand another pigeon picking on another's youngster if it inadvertently asks to be fed, but not ones own youngsters.

Never come across it previously, and would have to actually see it to know that had been the situation and not another pigeon to feel comfortable with the idea.

Perhaps denise can give us the exact situation in her loft which may put some light on the matter.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
denise washington
Chipping
Chipping
denise washington

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons EmptySat Mar 30, 2019 9:53 pm

hi the problem is they wont use their nest boxes they just want to lay on floor but its when parents come off to feed its other birds thats doing the killing ive even put nest pans on floor but they wont use them they just use nest boxes as a toilet lol ant they even laying in front of gate i have to step over them to feed and water them what do i do its a problem
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons EmptySun Mar 31, 2019 5:39 am

How big is the loft/shed and how many pigeons are there ?
Do they fly out ?
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons EmptySun Mar 31, 2019 10:06 am

That's what I thought, it is not the parents but others doing the damage.

Would fasten them in the nest boxes ( if they are large enough) with a nest bowl in and just let one pair out at a time until they lay.

Once they use the nest box once you should have no problem.

Depending on how many pigeons you have it is time consuming but effective.

If it was me I would part the pigeons for a while and put them back together in the nest boxes and make a fresh start.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons EmptySun Mar 31, 2019 1:12 pm

Yep agree somewhat with Misty here. I used to let a cock bird dominate a nest box of choice a few weeks before mating when setting new mates or birds brought in and mating first time. … - Though to be honest for most years I never split the birds at all … So changing mates could be a hassle if I had a reason to... Mates lost in the race season etc.. But then again only had the odd cock bird  wanting more than one nest box.
Had a couple of time a pair nesting under the loft... that was a problem in earlier days... soon fix though.

Had some took up the habit in nesting in the corners etc. in my last few seasons though and couldn't be hassled to, or up to doing such as changing the compartment and locking in a new nest box etc.

So I made a wooden frame. Covered three sides and the top with chipboard / ply and eased the new eggs laid out a mite and popped it over the nest like a tea cosy. Worked a treat.  Found also if the opening faced another as such, it kept them in outside of feeding.
Unlike most fanciers lofts, mine  had a floor space no more than a 6 x 5.  6x4.

Best thing was that they were tamer and easy to catch. Had up to 16 single nest boxes. Half the size of normal ones on three sides. they protected their territory well having a block at the front.

I really do believe that the  very best way of racing pigeons is to naturally heighten their natural make up.
So  shelving  on one side and the same the other . A 2 - 3 foot passage way between. a little 2 or 3 inch runner and blocks only separate the nesting … no bowls, just tobacco stalks - or ones preferred nesting material - they make their nest with in a pecking order.

Was a Fellow in Derby. A national winner and always there at the top. He had 12 nest boxes on pole in a circle. A mate on guard whilst the other sat. When one took of, they all took off. When one landed the other quickly followed suit. Fresh air in abundance. A protected territory.  Yes both in side if and when wanted etc.
To be truthful, if I had had the room, I may well have followed suit. No I don't kn ow how many circles he had, But I guess if more than one he would most likely have been on a natural - great - rotation of the birds.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons EmptySun Mar 31, 2019 2:55 pm

Let a couple of Hamsters run around the floor?
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons EmptySun Mar 31, 2019 3:18 pm

Yes Hal, them or rabbits. Heard before. Think may have been on the Alberta. Simple and very effective apparently. Seems logical one must admit.
Back to top Go down
denise washington
Chipping
Chipping
denise washington

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons EmptySun Mar 31, 2019 10:25 pm

hi all all thanks for your help. my loft is 18x12x8 high i have about 28 pigeons in it so its not a small one and im letting them out but they dont seem bothered about flying much think im over feeding them so any advice will help try sort the buggers out hope all your are doing well
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons EmptyMon Apr 01, 2019 7:59 am

Certainly not overcrowded, denise, never heard of hamsters or rabbits being a cure but if it works?.

Once new a fancier who kept his pigeons in with the chickens and they were always in good condition.

Could never understand it regarding the possible health implications.

Do not know how you feed but if you hopper feed, they will not overfeed once they know food is always available, but do not have a feed they can pick and choose at, beans the best and treats when you feel like giving them one.

Although you have a very reasonable number for the area of the loft, perhaps it would have been better to start with fewer until they started behaving in the manner you want them to.

Good luck.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons EmptyMon Apr 01, 2019 8:25 am

Rabbit was used to stop widowhood hens pairing on the floor..
Never tried it but iv got a nice chimney for pie crusts albino albino albino
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons EmptyMon Apr 01, 2019 11:17 am

Over crowding is a fallacy and a myth. Never heard about till comparatively recent. They love company and a pecking order... Is a very important part of Condition. Over crowding was brought in A. when a so called 'Name' didn't (Couldn't) have an answer! B. Then in a human term - again a myth - some thought a good these and hung on to it as nigh every one had heard the tripe so it was a good way out of poor managements.
Another very good reason I packed out the loft was because if an ailment came, it quickly went through any pigeon suspetical cought it. Sooner fixed, sooner mended... Instead of a constant one going down here and there.
Personally in over 60 years I never heard, let alone new any one who spouted that rubbish!

Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons EmptyMon Apr 01, 2019 12:17 pm

Daz wrote:
Over crowding is a fallacy and a myth. Never heard about till comparatively recent. They love company and a pecking order... Is a very important part of Condition. Over crowding was brought in A. when a so called 'Name' didn't (Couldn't) have an answer! B. Then in a human term - again a myth - some thought a good these and hung on to it as nigh every one had heard the tripe so it was a good way out of poor managements.
Another very good reason I packed out the loft was because if an ailment came, it quickly went through any pigeon suspetical  cought it. Sooner fixed, sooner mended... Instead of a constant one going down here and there.
Personally in over 60 years I never heard, let alone new any one who spouted that rubbish!

Is that your April Fool
lol!
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons EmptyMon Apr 01, 2019 5:28 pm

I don't think any 2 situations are the same regards overcrowding as loft ventilation will determine along with loft positioning ,I have seen a few lofts with overcrowding their always has to be a limit surely
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons EmptyMon Apr 01, 2019 5:56 pm

The limit is determined by the mentality of the fancier, relative to the circumstances.

The results are relative to the decisions made.

Of course there is over crowding in some circumstances.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
denise washington
Chipping
Chipping
denise washington

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons EmptyMon Apr 01, 2019 8:14 pm

hi all its not the parents its the other birds that are killing them got nest pans in boxes but they just want to lay on floor so ive put some nest pans on floor but they just find a corner and lay eggs there lm thinking of making more nest boxes and if they lay on floor im going to move them it makes me wonder if thats why the man i got them off ad same problem but i know im going to win i hope
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

naughty pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: naughty pigeons   naughty pigeons Empty

Back to top Go down

naughty pigeons
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next