Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 8:02 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 3:34 pm

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb Emptyby David Today at 12:38 pm

» Good Morning
Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 11:19 am

» Scandalous .......
Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb Emptyby David Today at 9:41 am

» Morgan's new job
Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:43 pm

» Another find
Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» birds on loan
Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb Emptyby oldstrain Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Garlic .......
Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb Emptyby Knackered Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:07 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 82 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 81 Guests :: 2 Bots

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb Vote_lcapWatchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb Voting_barWatchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb Vote_lcapWatchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb Voting_barWatchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222569 messages in 13998 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb

Go down 
+3
stormqueen
IANYOUNG
Lightning
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Lightning
Hatchling
Hatchling
Lightning

Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb Empty
PostSubject: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 7:55 pm

Watchfield In The Vale Flying Club with MB
*Remember there are No Secrets from a Bottle, just Hardwork, Dedication & Determination*

Well folks we are now on the 20th February and the new season is fast approaching, as readers will probably know i am a regular member of the pigeon website “pigeonforumotion” who along with friends we regularly have competitions on site. During the winter months we held seven shows for members of the site ie old cock, old hen, young cock, young hen, pairs, colours, show birds etc and we had one of our members in outstanding form, this member entered only five of the shows and unbelievably was voted the winner of all five.

Now i have spoke to this member for over twelves months now and i know that he is very dedicated and determined, he was really pleased with his racing performances during 2010 and what makes this achievement so much better is that unbelievably he is only in his third racing season.

I thought this would be a perfect chance to test my new loft report questionnaire which i hope to be undertaking on various top performers during 2011 and thought this was a great demonstration and testament to the fancier on how this fairly new comer is achieving so much with his birds and i know that during November/December the area where this member lives was battered with snow and icey conditions with temperatures sometimes dropping to -25 for long periods.

LOFT REPORT – Questions & Answers

GARY RITCHIE GIBB, FRASERBURGH, SCOTLAND

INTRODUCTION

1 Please introduce yourself and tell us how you got started in the sport?
My name is Gary Ritchie Gibb, after my late uncle past away i got the chance to get some of his stock birds from his partner. I took the old stock cock who was 12 years old, a son and two hens from bob his flying partner. The old cock was the last g.g grandson of champion Stormqueen, Bob told me that he would not fill his eggs but i took him home, put him in Georges old loft and got 6 youngsters off him in the first year, unbelievably he knew his old box right away, that was me hooked from then on. The old cocks youngsters are now in stock loft but unfortunatley the old man passed away last year aged 15 years old, but has left his mark on my loft.

2 Give the readers the most memorable results?
Last year (2010) was my third year racing, the highlight was when i was 1st club, 1st federation, 1st section, 1st open in the first England young bird race, this was the day my sister’s daughter got married so i called the hen Lori-Anns delight. In 2010 i gained 34 tickets in the North of Scotland, these fed certificates were achieved for 2 x 1st, 1 x 2nd, 1 x 4th, 1 x 6th, 1 x 7th, 2 x 8th, 2 x 9th & 3 x 10th Open place’s were 1 x 1st, 1 x 2nd, 1 x 3rd, 1 x 6th, 3 x 7th, 1 x 8th, 2 x 9th, 3 x 10th plus others

3 Is there anything that you have not won in the sport that you would like to achieve?
Yes there are lots, since i started racing my performances have been getting better each year.

4 What are your lofts made of and how big are they?
My race loft is constructed from wood and my stock section is brick built

5 Do you attach any importance to having a tiled roof on a loft?
No, i don’t think it makes any difference.

6 Do you use any form of heating system in any of your lofts?
No, nothing.

7 Do you control the ventilation in your loft?
No, just natural.

8 Do you have any grills fitted in the loft?
Yes, i have them fitted in the race loft.

9 What families of pigeons do you keep?
I have my late uncle’s Ritchie & White long distance family and recently brought in some Gaby Vandenabeeles for the middle distance races.

BREEDING
10 How do you go about bringing in a new family?
We have some good long distance fancier friends that i exchange birds with each year, most of them knew my late uncle George.

11 Do you line-breed or use a first cross or just pair winners to winners?
I like to line breed, in breed and cross.

12 What method do you use to select your breeders?
I try to keep the family’s together and select pairs by different eye colour if possible.

13 What materials do you use for nesting?
We use both straw and tobacco stalks

14 When do you pair your stock pigeons and why then?
I pair the second week of February each year as it suits me more than pairing early.

15 How many stock birds do you keep?
We have 14 pair of stock birds.

16 Do you breed off the racers?
No.

17 What do you think of later bred youngsters?
We have never had any luck with them but good for stock only.

RACING
18 When do you pair your racers?
Normally the week before the stock birds.

19 How do you race your pigeons and how many do you race?
For 2011 we have 40 racers, these are 8 pair of natural and the rest will be raced on roundabout.

20 What is the farthest distance that you would train your old birds or young birds?
35 miles, i consider this is far enough.

21 Do you race your pigeons every week or do you prefer to condition them for a specific race?
Every week if they are fit enough.

22 When do you allow your racers to take a bath?
Every week is the weather is ok.

23 Do you use any floor dressing or clean the pigeons out daily?
No floor dressing, all cleaned out every morning.

24 How do you feed the birds and what do you feed them on?
The birds are fed ounce per day when racing and more is given for the longer distance

25 Do you measure the amount?
Yes, see above.

26 Do you attach any importance to grits and minerals?
Yes, give fresh grit every day and minerals at the time of breeding

27 Do the pigeons need any special treatment on their return from the race?
We give a light mixture and a tonic in the water.

28 If your race team went off form during the season what action would you take?
To be honest, luckily this hasn’t happened yet so i don’t know.

29 What happens when you have a bad race?
Well i blame father, he blames me and we put our heads together and work through.

30 Sprinter or distance, is there any difference or is all down to feeding?
Firstly i feel that you need the birds that can do the distance, feeding is also important for distance

31 How far do you race your yearlings?
Our yearlings will go to 483 miles if fit and ready

YOUNG BIRDS
32 Young bird sickness is a problem, what preventative/cure do you use?
Luckily we have never had it so cant answer that one, touch wood i don’t get it.

33 Do you race your young birds?
Yes, every young bird gets raced some getting stopped after 140 miles, but the rest will go on to 230 miles

34 Do you use darkness/light systems?
I didnt do darkness the first year and found that the birds couldn’t compete, been on darkness ever since and sticking with it as they are getting better each year

35 Do you separate sexes or natural?
I separated two years ago, but didnt last year and had my best results so far so i will be keeping them together for the future.

36 Are there any specific feeding methods for the young birds?
All youngsters get the same ounce per day after they are flying out properly

THE MOULT/WINTER
37 Do you attach any real importance to the pigeon’s wing/eye/throat?
No

38 What criteria do you set down for the pigeons you winter?
Keep them in all winter until they are sitting on youngsters again then start to exercise.

39 Are there any special treatments that you give your birds once the season has finished?
Not really, i try to keep things simple as possible.

40 What were the last four things that you put in your drinking water?
Cider vinrgar, TCP, Worming liquid and good old scottish water.

41 If you could only give your pigeons one supplement what would it be?
Cider vinegar.

GENERAL
42 Which fancier has influenced you most, in the way in which you fly your pigeons?
Most of my club flyers and John Ritchie who lives across the road from me, he has helped me a lot in this sport, a great flyer and friend .

43 What past mistakes have you made/learned from?
The last three years i have never let the racers bring up youngster so this year they are all going to bring up a nest from stock loft.

44 What motivates you to remain successful?
Every year is better than the last one and i would love to get a bird from France. My late uncle was 2nd Open with Stormqueen, i will never get close to that but just to get one in the clock would be fantastic.

45 What is your vaccination/medication programme for the pigeons?
Pre-Season:- Canker, Paramyxo and Paratyphoid.
During:- None.
Post Season:- Canker.

46 Do you read many magazines/Articles?
My father does the reading and i look at video’s

47 Is there anything that you do not like about the sport?
Not a thing, i love it all, the up’s and the down’s

48 Is your loft of pigeons as strong as it was 5yrs ago?
I have only been at it for 4 years now but yes stonger every year.

49 If you could pass on one piece of advice or tip, what would it be?
Try to build a good family of your own pigeons and not take in to many different family’s, go to a good flyer thats getting good results with an old strain of pigeons

50 Do you have any further comments about anything that we may have missed?
Just a big thank you to my club mates at Fraserburgh & District flying club, Bob Whyte of Ritchie and Whyte for giving me a great start by giving me 4 pigeons and my late uncles two stock cocks back once i said i was going to start up and keep the name Ritchie and Whyte pigeons going

Well that’s it for this week, a fantastic report on a truly up and coming fancier who will be around for many years to come and may yet better that tremendous performance by that little marvellous hen Stormqueen.

Try hard, work harder, be happy and good returns.

Any news/views to Mark Brown
Email - mb1973@hotmail.co.uk
Tel - 07593 279 375

Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 8:51 pm

mark was that your son in the homing world in your right up (the dancer)
Back to top Go down
stormqueen
Youngbird
Youngbird
stormqueen

PostSubject: Re: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 9:08 pm

just incase theres abit of cunfusion with members john is my father that has now taking over with the breeding loft and gary ritchie gibb ie me looks after race pigeons so my dads the one thats mostly on the site ie john and i gary come on every now and again and take all the pics of the winning pigeons Wink
ps a big thank you to mark once again lets hope this year is just as good as last or better still keep on geting stronger each year rome wasent built in a day and distance pigeons cant as well they need time and time will tell
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 9:15 pm

excellent write up mark, very interesting to hear how john/gary manage their pigeons........maybe we could have some more about our other members at some point.

well done john and gary, hope you have a sucessfull 2011 season.
Back to top Go down
Alex
Youngbird
Youngbird
Alex

PostSubject: Re: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 9:21 pm

Excellent write up as usual mark as said before one I always look forward to reading Very Happy

Remember before when david didnt know who was on as some said gary and some john, atleast i know now you both come on the site and good luck to you two racing this season Very Happy
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 9:24 pm

thought i had been talking to john for the past 3 years......... scratch Razz
Back to top Go down
stormqueen
Youngbird
Youngbird
stormqueen

PostSubject: Re: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 9:37 pm

david
some times i went on and then mybe gary my son.
i was just so it would not get things confused.
to say this is gary tonight.
and then next day say john.
it will all come out in the washing. cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 9:41 pm

not a problem john/gary, whoever it is on site is very welcome....you know that. as we know we sometimes hear on the big sites that admin are always grumbling over members in the same houshold using two accounts etc, theres no need for this sort of complaining and it doesnt matter here on our site as you are a valued member whoever is on at the time......

thanks john/gary.
Back to top Go down
stormqueen
Youngbird
Youngbird
stormqueen

PostSubject: Re: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 9:59 pm

thanks again to all great site
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 10:08 pm

as ive always said john/gary, its the members that make the site what it is,,,,,,,,,,,
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 10:57 pm

Brilliant as always Mark study study study
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 10:59 pm

Scotland look out "hey John and Gary"

Fair play nice to see the recognition you deserve for all the hard work
Back to top Go down
stormqueen
Youngbird
Youngbird
stormqueen

PostSubject: Re: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 11:02 pm

thanks for all the kind words it makes you want to do better and better nice to see suport from all
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 11:06 pm

was it john and gary when we were on andrews site........?
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 11:09 pm

at the end of the day you are a partnership so no harm in any way sharing the same member account.....makes no difference.
Back to top Go down
stormqueen
Youngbird
Youngbird
stormqueen

PostSubject: Re: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 11:10 pm

as the song goes just the two of us. Laughing
stay in the same house

Last edited by stormqueen on Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 11:12 pm

have i asked you before john what the ch wflt is in the avater...?
Back to top Go down
stormqueen
Youngbird
Youngbird
stormqueen

PostSubject: Re: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 11:15 pm

gaby vandenabeele
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 11:17 pm

ah yes, remember now....i think i did ask before didnt i. looks a nice bird too.
Back to top Go down
stormqueen
Youngbird
Youngbird
stormqueen

PostSubject: Re: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 pm

yes he is and his youngsters are scoring thats good enough for me
Back to top Go down
Lightning
Hatchling
Hatchling
Lightning

PostSubject: Re: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 7:47 pm

ian wrote:
mark was that your son in the homing world in your right up (the dancer)

yes mate, thats our Ben......not long after this photo was taken, he had his top off and giving it what for LOL

the ladies loved him, lol

ps, rung the futurity youngsters today
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 7:49 pm

sound mate just sent you a pm funny that, thought it was glad to see him enjoying himself
Back to top Go down
Lightning
Hatchling
Hatchling
Lightning

PostSubject: Re: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 7:54 pm

lol, he defo enjoyed himself, was up on the stage.........dont know were he gets the stripping from tho, LOL
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 8:10 pm

yes i bet, your lass lol
Back to top Go down
Lightning
Hatchling
Hatchling
Lightning

PostSubject: Re: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 8:16 pm

lol, thats must be what the new fancy vertical banister is for upstairs Very Happy Very Happy

doesnt half chaff your legs tho, lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb   Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb Empty

Back to top Go down

Watchfield Wiritings 20.02.11 Q&A - John Gibb
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next