Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently Emptyby oldstrain Today at 2:00 pm

» Good Morning
unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 8:17 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:49 pm

» good luck weekend
unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:30 pm

» escaped birds return
unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:24 pm

» Scandalous .......
unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:41 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently Emptyby David Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:25 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 102 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 102 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently Vote_lcapunexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently Voting_barunexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently Vote_rcap 
David
unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently Vote_lcapunexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently Voting_barunexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222607 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently

Go down 
+5
Ginger
birdy2011
kev d
Alex
caitlinwalker
9 posters
AuthorMessage
caitlinwalker
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently Empty
PostSubject: unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently   unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently EmptySun May 01, 2011 8:01 am

I've got a 4 day old hatchling - long story why it's hatched in my incubator - daughter's friend found egg in garden, they carried it around school and my daughter begged me to put it in with our duck eggs - I paid no attention to it as I was sure it was infertile or dead - it was never my intention to try and hatch a Pigeon/Dove as I know nothing about them.
Against all odds it has hatched.
I contacted my local Pigeon fancying clubs but they all came back saying forget it it's impossible to raise them by hand - just let it die.
Not knowing any better I've been liquidizing my chick food, adding flax oil and a dash of spirulina and feeding it with a dropper. The bird is still alive in it's box/light nest and quite wriggly BUT it's stomach is distended and although it is pooing it's only couple of times a day.
In desperation I've been trying different googles and found your site. I can see now how to make a home made formula that's more suitable.
Is there anything I can do to help her now? What are digestive enzymes? do i have to go to a vet? It's not like acidophilus is it?
Anyone's advice would be greatly appreciated
Thank you Caitlin (and the children)
Back to top Go down
Alex
Youngbird
Youngbird
Alex

PostSubject: Re: unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently   unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently EmptySun May 01, 2011 9:42 am

Hand rearing ybs can be done. A few weeks ago i was talking to someone who (well before my time) raised one on normal milk and a dropper. and said it did absolutely fine. A pigeons crop will fill once full, and will be around the neck area and will empty when the bird has digested the food, so it will become big once fed. hearing that you have got it to 4 days is quite an achievement and if you carry on feeding it like you are and as it gets a bit older start to blend the food less and less the bird should hopefully have solid food...
Back to top Go down
caitlinwalker
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently   unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently EmptySun May 01, 2011 11:06 am

Thank you - I'm not sure if it's her crop or her stomach that is so distended - I just gently massaged the affected area and then down her tummy and she rewarded me with her first poo in 24 hours so a bit of relief.
I'm trying to make my mixture closer to the mac formula.
Any other advice gratefully received - I feel such an idiot trying to do this when I don't know anything.
Some sites have info about inserting a tube into their crop but i'm just dropping the mixture underneath his tongue
Back to top Go down
kev d
Youngbird
Youngbird
kev d

PostSubject: Re: unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently   unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently EmptySun May 01, 2011 11:28 am

first off hi there , make sure you have some thing underneath the baby so he or she as some thing to grip on if not there legs will splay out and will not be straight , get some SMA baby powder and some small beans or peas from the pet shop ifnot some wild bird feed soak it over night in water then one by one pop it down its throat
also drops of the baby powder down it throat with a syringe do this every few hours it will grow up fast well done and good luck . kevin
Back to top Go down
caitlinwalker
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently   unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently EmptySun May 01, 2011 11:33 am

I've got a towel underneath so she can wriggle - she's getting a mixture of:
egg
yoghurt
olive oil
cod liver oil
ground layer's pellets
water
Back to top Go down
kev d
Youngbird
Youngbird
kev d

PostSubject: Re: unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently   unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently EmptySun May 01, 2011 11:40 am

should be ok , but it sounds like you have a baby wood pigeon god knows what they feed on
but keep up the good work and keep us updated a few photos will be good if you can
its hard work feeding a baby pigeon they need constant food but make sure its soaked first .
Back to top Go down
Alex
Youngbird
Youngbird
Alex

PostSubject: Re: unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently   unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently EmptySun May 01, 2011 12:16 pm

sounds like you are doing fine with it, when the crops full it sticks out at the front below their necks. what you are feeding sounds fine, as the pigeon will just want food thats milky at that age.

welcome to the site by the way Very Happy
Back to top Go down
caitlinwalker
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently   unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently EmptySun May 01, 2011 12:34 pm

here's the baby
Back to top Go down
birdy2011
Oldbird
Oldbird
birdy2011

PostSubject: Re: unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently   unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently EmptySun May 01, 2011 6:30 pm

you could soak some layers pellets and shringe them in to the baby for a few days hope all goes well for you
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently   unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently EmptySun May 01, 2011 7:08 pm

What might help a bit, just soak a bit of wild bird seed about half a eggcup over night then the next day put some milk powder in it just a bit and put it in a licquidizer as a bird is fed on milk food for about 8 to10 days, if you get to 10 days just soak wild bird food over night and give it that with some twezers it will grow quiet quickly you have done very well to get it to 4 days well done
Back to top Go down
caitlinwalker
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: distended crop   unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently EmptySun May 01, 2011 7:24 pm

anyone know about the crop being big and like a jelly? How can I help it go down?
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Youngbird
Youngbird
Ginger

PostSubject: Re: unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently   unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently EmptySun May 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Caitlin dont worry about the crop swelling thats howe they are fed the crop swells but it dose go down you are doing fine as you are going. it is as I said milkfood which is what a baby pigeon feeds on for the first few days you have done well better than most of us
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently   unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently EmptySun May 01, 2011 8:47 pm

caitlinwalker wrote:
anyone know about the crop being big and like a jelly? How can I help it go down?
as ginger said the crop swells out and looks abnormal but dont worry this is as it should be and well done so far keep it up and i hope it gets through
Back to top Go down
Rene A
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rene A

PostSubject: Re: unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently   unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently EmptySun May 01, 2011 9:46 pm

keep it up you're goin a great job there well done
Back to top Go down
geordiejen
Hatchling
Hatchling
geordiejen

PostSubject: Re: unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently   unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently EmptySun May 01, 2011 10:02 pm

you could contaqct a local pigeon club and find out if anyone can put the squeeker under a pair of sitters.if anyone has a youngster the same age you can put the baby pigeon under the pair and they will rear it.hell of a lot of work bringing up a squeeker from birth.
Back to top Go down
caitlinwalker
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently   unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently EmptySun May 01, 2011 10:34 pm

I tried but they were reluctant to offer help which is why I've gone virtual. They said it was so unlikely that it would survive there was no real point.
If you know of helpful ones near west kirby please pass on details
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently   unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently EmptySun May 01, 2011 10:58 pm

hi catlin, welcome to the site.........have you used baby milk in the dropper ? when baby pigeons are first hatched the parents feed them for the first few days of their life on a milk and not solid corn, if it was me i would try it with a mixture of baby milk if you could get hold of any. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently   unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently Empty

Back to top Go down

unexpectedly hatched a squab need help urgently
Page 1 of 1