Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
youngbird sickness Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 9:25 am

» Weather today
youngbird sickness Emptyby David Today at 9:20 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
youngbird sickness Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
youngbird sickness Emptyby David Yesterday at 4:53 pm

» escaped birds return
youngbird sickness Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 10:42 am

» Scandalous .......
youngbird sickness Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
youngbird sickness Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
youngbird sickness Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
youngbird sickness Emptyby Knackered Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) youngbird sickness 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 102 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 102 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.youngbird sickness Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
youngbird sickness Vote_lcapyoungbird sickness Voting_baryoungbird sickness Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
youngbird sickness Vote_lcapyoungbird sickness Voting_baryoungbird sickness Vote_rcap 
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222734 messages in 14002 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
youngbird sickness Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
youngbird sickness Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

youngbird sickness

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

youngbird sickness Empty
PostSubject: youngbird sickness   youngbird sickness EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 8:14 pm

Pathologic findings in racing pigeons (Columba livia domestica) with "young bird sickness".

Scullion FT, Scullion MG.

Veterinary Services for Birds, 16 Cranlome Road, Ballygawley, Co. Tyrone BT70 2HS, Northern Ireland.

"Young bird sickness" is a term used by racing pigeon fanciers to describe a condition that has occurred regularly in recent years and affects pigeons (Columba livia domestica) in their first year of life. It is characterized by slow crop emptying, regurgitation, diarrhea, weight loss, poor performance, and occasionally death. Little scientific information is known about this syndrome to differentiate it from other diseases that occur in young pigeons. In this study, 1 bird from each of 9 lofts where "young bird sickness" was reported was euthanatized for cytologic and postmortem examination. Lesions of the lymphoreticular system, alimentary tract, and respiratory system were the most common findings. Lesions of the lymphoreticular system were present in all birds examined, and 3 birds had histopathologic findings consistent with circovirus infection. Combinations of protozoal, fungal, and mixed bacterial infections were associated with ingluvitis in 7 birds and enteritis in 6 birds. Pneumonitis was found in 5 birds that tested positive for Chlamydophila by polymerase chain reaction. Although "young bird sickness" appears to be a multifactorial condition, a pattern of lesions that involved the lymphoreticular, gastrointestinal, and respiratory systems was evident, whereas diseases of other organ systems were uncommon. These findings suggest that "young bird sickness" may have a common etiology, and circovirus infection is proposed as a possible initiating cause of this syndrome in young racing pigeons in Northern Ireland.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

youngbird sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: youngbird sickness   youngbird sickness EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 8:51 pm

hi ian, yb sickness is something im terrified of getting.....by whet ive heard of it its a nasty thing, i dont remember yb sickness around when we raced years ago......hows it all come about ? scratch
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

youngbird sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: youngbird sickness   youngbird sickness EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 10:29 pm

wish i knew david but if you spot the symptoms early enough its not a big problem
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

youngbird sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: youngbird sickness   youngbird sickness EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 10:35 pm

ill have to keep a check on them next year and if there are any signs ill let you know to advise me..... affraid
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

youngbird sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: youngbird sickness   youngbird sickness EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 10:37 pm

yes like i say quite easily treat early enough
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

youngbird sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: youngbird sickness   youngbird sickness EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 8:29 am

Very Happy Just thought I would add something about ybs...This year I have had it but it seems to me only to effect some birds. I clean my loft every day and everything with me is spotless but I still had it. I read about gutters harbouring it and birds as we know pick and eat anything when they are out, so I stopped my birds going anywhere near the ground or gutters and this I feel might have helped. As I clean out every morning I check the perches and make a note of where yb,s roost at night easily done I make up a perch chart, I do this because any sign of sloppy droppings or corn on the perch are symptoms and thats the start, I have found birds that vomit corn overnight go down with it but not always, so if they have this together with loose droppings and a swollen crop all puffy then it ybs. I kill all of them at this stage, usually about 3/4 days if they dont get better, I have found any birds with these symptoms never make a flyer they are always lost even if they recover, and therefore I kill them that way nothing eles eats the vomited corn and pases it on..this is just what i do , might seem harsh but believe me they will do you no good once they have had it.
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

youngbird sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: youngbird sickness   youngbird sickness EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 8:35 am

Very Happy Just also like to add I have tried various treatments and some seem to work a little as I would say that they limit the amount of birds that get itb but I dont think any cure it just runs its course.., this year I would asay I had about 6 out of 50 bred that had it all about 2, 3 or 4 months old and flying well. But kiling them strieght away is by far the best and cheapest, and I stamped it out quickly. .so I have binned all treatments now, for ybs.
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

youngbird sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: youngbird sickness   youngbird sickness EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 8:54 am

your wrong if you treat them early enough they can be cured treat them with nyferimycen it works beleive me
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

youngbird sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: youngbird sickness   youngbird sickness EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 11:47 am

Very Happy Yes I know read what I said again, I have tried treatments and they can recover, but every pigeon I have cured never made it through training..so why feed them for 5 months then loose them. just my opinion. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

youngbird sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: youngbird sickness   youngbird sickness EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 4:50 pm

yes respect your opinion but i like to try and give them a chance , dont get me wrong if they are too bad then they have got to go
Back to top Go down
dark_chequer
Hatchling
Hatchling
dark_chequer

youngbird sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: youngbird sickness   youngbird sickness EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 10:29 pm

I agree with you Ian, Like you i think you have to act fast, as the birds tend to fair better if you do, as it dos'nt take long for a secondary infection to set in.
I also think that it dos'nt matter how clean your loft is or if you dont clean out at all ( mines cleaned out everyday) young bird sickness dos not discriminate its every where. JMO

Amanda
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

youngbird sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: youngbird sickness   youngbird sickness EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 7:33 pm

try to keep one step ahead of illness
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

youngbird sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: youngbird sickness   youngbird sickness EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 9:04 pm

ive been lucky so far as mine have never been in contact with other pigeons since i got them, when i start racing/training they will be mixing with others so will have to keep a eye on things....first signs of illness i will have to seperate from others.... scratch
Back to top Go down
dark_chequer
Hatchling
Hatchling
dark_chequer

youngbird sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: youngbird sickness   youngbird sickness EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 10:27 pm

DAVID wrote:
ive been lucky so far as mine have never been in contact with other pigeons since i got them, when i start racing/training they will be mixing with others so will have to keep a eye on things....first signs of illness i will have to seperate from others.... scratch

I always quarentine any new birds coming to live at my lofts i dont care what age they are or who they come from. I watch them just to make sure they are not bring anything in. I also treat for canker and cocci just to make sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

youngbird sickness Empty
PostSubject: Re: youngbird sickness   youngbird sickness Empty

Back to top Go down

youngbird sickness
Page 1 of 1