Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Feed for pigeons Emptyby Knackered Today at 11:04 pm

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Feed for pigeons Emptyby Knackered Today at 10:49 pm

» Good Morning
Feed for pigeons Emptyby Knackered Today at 10:34 pm

» good luck weekend
Feed for pigeons Emptyby Knackered Today at 10:30 pm

» escaped birds return
Feed for pigeons Emptyby Knackered Today at 10:24 pm

» Scandalous .......
Feed for pigeons Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
Feed for pigeons Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
Feed for pigeons Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Feed for pigeons Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:25 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Feed for pigeons 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 104 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 103 Guests :: 2 Bots

Knackered

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Feed for pigeons Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Feed for pigeons Vote_lcapFeed for pigeons Voting_barFeed for pigeons Vote_rcap 
David
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222602 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Feed for pigeons Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Feed for pigeons Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Feed for pigeons

Go down 
+3
kev d
edgie
Tony P
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Tony P
Chipping
Chipping
Tony P

Feed for pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Feed for pigeons   Feed for pigeons EmptyThu May 01, 2014 10:02 am

Hi All,
With me starting to breed now is there a type of food that I should be given the birds at this stag and would I change my feed or add a feed when and if chicks come along.
At the moment I am using a breeder mix, gritt, water and water with garlic in any help and tips always wellcome. cheers cheers cheers 
Tony
Back to top Go down
edgie
Youngbird
Youngbird
edgie

Feed for pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed for pigeons   Feed for pigeons EmptyThu May 01, 2014 10:07 am

plenty of protien in the mix i.e. peas at least 50% plus matrix daily, hope this helps cheers 
Back to top Go down
Tony P
Chipping
Chipping
Tony P

Feed for pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed for pigeons   Feed for pigeons EmptyThu May 01, 2014 10:09 am

edgie wrote:
plenty of protien in the mix i.e. peas at least 50% plus matrix daily, hope this helps cheers 

Thanks edgie, what is MATRIX and how do I feed it and how often ????

Tony
Back to top Go down
edgie
Youngbird
Youngbird
edgie

Feed for pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed for pigeons   Feed for pigeons EmptyThu May 01, 2014 10:13 am

matrix is a mixture of grit minerals clay plus others it is a must for pigeons, give handfull daily fresh into feeder  cheers 
Back to top Go down
Tony P
Chipping
Chipping
Tony P

Feed for pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed for pigeons   Feed for pigeons EmptyThu May 01, 2014 11:38 am

edgie wrote:
matrix is a mixture of grit minerals clay plus others it is a must for pigeons, give handfull daily fresh into feeder  cheers 

Again edgie thanks for the help and tips mate cheers 
Tony
Back to top Go down
kev d
Youngbird
Youngbird
kev d

Feed for pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed for pigeons   Feed for pigeons EmptyThu May 01, 2014 5:59 pm

hi tony , when im breeding i keep the water fresh with nothing added
as i want my birds to drink if you put in garlic or other things they are reluctant to drink there required amount . also when you have yb in the nest after about 7days i make sure they have a pot of food in there nest box i top that up 3 times aday they also have grit and black minerals and pick stones . good luck
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Feed for pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed for pigeons   Feed for pigeons EmptyThu May 01, 2014 7:03 pm

YB.s eating apple and turf first time.

Feed for pigeons 54a5b4dd23493e058b76
Feed for pigeons Clicklarge3

Back to top Go down
Tony P
Chipping
Chipping
Tony P

Feed for pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed for pigeons   Feed for pigeons EmptyFri May 02, 2014 9:48 am

Good morning Kev, halcanada, thanks again for the info, I have put a pot of food in with the 3 week old chick, so do you think I should stop the water with the garlic in it until the chick or chicks if I get more are older mate. Thats the thing with birds and breeding everyone has their own way and its the help and advice that I am looking for at this early stage with pigeons. Everyone has been very helpfull so far its a great site for me  Very Happy 
Tony
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Feed for pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed for pigeons   Feed for pigeons EmptyFri May 02, 2014 10:26 am

morning tony, that's the right idea to put food in the nest box for the parents/ybs.......and yes I would definitely remove the garlic from the drinking water, when feeding ybs I think all you need is fresh clean water....which I also put in the nst box in a small cup clipped to the front, but this is just something some fanciers do, and others don't do.

the main thing is plenty of food, and fresh, clear water.......
Back to top Go down
Tony P
Chipping
Chipping
Tony P

Feed for pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed for pigeons   Feed for pigeons EmptyFri May 02, 2014 10:31 am

Morning David, thanks again mate for the tips and I will stop the garlic in the water later today and sort out some little water pots for the cages mate  cheers 
Tony
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Feed for pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed for pigeons   Feed for pigeons EmptyFri May 02, 2014 10:54 am

down to the individual really tony, listen to advise from different people, but then just make your own mind up as to what suits you.....that's the best way. I use plastic cups which clip onto the widowhood fronts, but if you go for the round pot type, then just make sure they are glazed so they hold the water, and it doesn't seep out.
Back to top Go down
Tony P
Chipping
Chipping
Tony P

Feed for pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed for pigeons   Feed for pigeons EmptyFri May 02, 2014 10:56 am

Thanks again David, I have noticed a few types in the shop because at the moment my set up dont have cage fronts on I will get the pots like I use for the food in the cages, cheers 
Tony
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Feed for pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed for pigeons   Feed for pigeons EmptyFri May 02, 2014 11:32 am

get some crushed oyster shells tony from a pet shop for extra calcium and add it to yer grit ...its sometimes called chic grit atb
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

Feed for pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed for pigeons   Feed for pigeons EmptyFri May 02, 2014 1:20 pm

Hi Tony

i always placed a pot in the nest box filled with only peas mate

Plus it help when they feed once they see the parents eating the peas they will also try as they get older mate
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

Feed for pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed for pigeons   Feed for pigeons EmptyFri May 02, 2014 1:26 pm

Tony also when i feed the youngsters i always used an open troff just a piece of plywood with an edge strip on it or even a peice of plastic gutter

This will allow the youngsters to see the food as if you use a troff and they have to put there heads through something the youngsters tend to shy away from it then they start to miss there food and then problems may occur

When you part the youngsters if you have a few spare hens then place them in the youngbird section just to keep them carm
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

Feed for pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed for pigeons   Feed for pigeons EmptyFri May 02, 2014 1:31 pm

Tony another thing to concider is when you part the youngsters as they will not be strong on the wing they will spend a few nights on the floor which can be cold for them

If you get an herden sack fill it with straw 2 thirds full place it in the corner of the section and lye it flat on the floor, when parting the youngsters place them on the sack, this will prevent the cold from the floor plus help prevent the youngsters from getting a chill

This method is more to help if you breed early lick Dec, Jan time but still helps either way
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Feed for pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed for pigeons   Feed for pigeons EmptyFri May 02, 2014 7:05 pm

Any one still use salt cats? Salted cod nailed to the wall. animal protien.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Feed for pigeons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feed for pigeons   Feed for pigeons Empty

Back to top Go down

Feed for pigeons
Page 1 of 1