Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Proper Feed Emptyby David Today at 4:09 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
Proper Feed Emptyby David Today at 11:48 am

» Weather today
Proper Feed Emptyby David Today at 10:31 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Proper Feed Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
Proper Feed Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
Proper Feed Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Proper Feed Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Proper Feed Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
Proper Feed Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Proper Feed 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 59 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 57 Guests :: 2 Bots

David, George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Proper Feed Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Proper Feed Vote_lcapProper Feed Voting_barProper Feed Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222792 messages in 14005 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Proper Feed Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Proper Feed Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Proper Feed

Go down 
AuthorMessage
steve1952
Youngbird
Youngbird
steve1952

Proper Feed Empty
PostSubject: Proper Feed   Proper Feed EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 10:55 am

Proper Feed
Breeders

Young Birds

Old Bird Racers
Breeders

When I am breeding, I give the birds a 22% protein turkey grower pellet. Years ago, I used to use just regular feed, but some of my breeders would go light when feeding their young. Since using pellets, I haven't had this happen. The babies grow faster and develop better. This is a big plus to start out with healthy babies.

The rest of the year, I feed either 16% protein turkey finisher pellets or a 16% chicken layer pellet. This gets the birds throught a good moult for the next year.
Young Birds

When they are weaned, the young birds stay on the 22% turkey grower pellet. This helps them get everything they need to start the moult, especially for the darkening system. They drop so many feathers so fast, that they need the extra protein to develop good feather and body size. Birds grow and develop when they moult.

When I am racing, I use high quality grains. Most of the time, I feed the birds individual grains separately, so they get all the different grains, not just what they like. I use three different types of peas, Austrian Peas, Trapper Peas and Maple Peas. I also use whole corn, wheat, milo, millet, safflower, rice and barley. This keeps them in balance and form. Young birds need plenty of barley during the first part of the week when racing. It keeps them conditioned.

This may vary depending on how hard the race was. If they are not flying around the loft well, I put more barley in their feed. I always feed the barley first, since they don't like it as much, then I put in a small amount of each grain, wait till they eat it, then give them the next grain. This way, they are eating all of the grains and not just their favorite ones.

As the week progresses, I increase the amount of each grain and reduce the amount of barley. I use less peas and corn close to the race because they are harder to digest. I use a higher percentage of safflower and rice closer to the race. It gives them extra carbohydrates.

On Thursday night, I throw in some raw Spanish Peanuts, about a cup per every 25 birds, after all the grains have been fed. They love the peanuts and even if they have stopped eating the grains, they will gobble up the peanuts.

You have to teach the birds to eat peanuts when they are young or they won't eat them when they are older. I just put them in and let them pick at them at first. I do this when they are very hungry. Once they start eating them it is like candy for them. They go nuts when I feed peanuts.

On Saturday, I give the birds safflower and millet. They get as much of it as they care to eat. I feed it several times during the day and evening.

What I feed always depends on the condition of the birds after the race. If it was a tough race, I feed differently than if it was an easy one. I also look ahead to the upcoming race and what I expect the conditions to be like for that race. Most of the time, I feed correctly for the race conditions, but occasionally, I mess up and feed too heavy or too light.

Most of this is learned from experience. You have to feel the birds regularly to see how they are doing. You have to develop a feel for what weight a bird should normally be and then you will be able to tell if a bird is too light or too heavy. Look at the condition of feathers, the activity level in the loft, the droppings of the birds. All of these are signs that tell you how to feed and how much to feed. Watch the birds eat their feed. Do they attack it with gusto or just nibble in a bored way.

Proper feeding takes time and attention to detail. You can't just walk in the pen, dump a can of feed in the trough and walk away if you want to win races. On average, I spend three hours each night out at the coops taking care of my pigeons. That time that I am regularly investing is bringing me the results I want on the race result sheets.

After the young bird season is over, I put the birds back on the 22% protein turkey grower. Being on the darkening system, the birds will go through another body moult and will moult the flight feathers. Here again, they need the extra protein to grow all the feathers.
Old Bird Racers
When they are not racing, I feed them the 16% protein pellets. That maintains them through the moult and winter. My old bird racers feed my first round of babies from the breeders before the racing season begins. During the time they are feeding babies, they get the 22% protein pellets.

Before I start training the old birds, I change them over to the grain. I always fly the birds on a grain feed. They also get barley. Not as much as the young birds, but they always get some.
Back to top Go down

Proper Feed
Page 1 of 1