Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Leeds & District Amalgamation
% of protein needed in racing mixture Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 3:34 pm

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
% of protein needed in racing mixture Emptyby David Today at 12:38 pm

» Good Morning
% of protein needed in racing mixture Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 11:19 am

» Scandalous .......
% of protein needed in racing mixture Emptyby David Today at 9:41 am

» Weather today
% of protein needed in racing mixture Emptyby David Today at 9:30 am

» Morgan's new job
% of protein needed in racing mixture Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:43 pm

» Another find
% of protein needed in racing mixture Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» birds on loan
% of protein needed in racing mixture Emptyby oldstrain Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Garlic .......
% of protein needed in racing mixture Emptyby Knackered Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:07 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) % of protein needed in racing mixture 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 113 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 112 Guests :: 2 Bots

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.% of protein needed in racing mixture Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
% of protein needed in racing mixture Vote_lcap% of protein needed in racing mixture Voting_bar% of protein needed in racing mixture Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
% of protein needed in racing mixture Vote_lcap% of protein needed in racing mixture Voting_bar% of protein needed in racing mixture Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222568 messages in 13998 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
% of protein needed in racing mixture Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
% of protein needed in racing mixture Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

% of protein needed in racing mixture

Go down 
+6
halcanada
mufc rick
markevans
David
oldstrain
devo56
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
devo56
Youngbird
Youngbird

% of protein needed in racing mixture Empty
PostSubject: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 8:07 am

I have been looking at this subject, Would i be wrong in thinking it depends on what distance the racing pigeons are flying?.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 10:46 am

yeah a lot depends really ...whether birds are moulting or breeding or racing and if racing then the wind and weather come into play most racing mixes vary between 10 and 17 % I am trying a high energy mix which is given day of basketing and is 24 % protein and 40% fats but if its a tail ender I wont use it
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 10:53 am

I changed to a high protein system this season just gone with my ybs, I gave protein (beans peas, tares) after the race, then broke them down, building them back up again for the end of the week...........it took a few weeks to get them coming well because I sent to the first race on Gerry plus, then changed my feed ....but each week they got higher up the sheet...
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

PostSubject: Re: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 8:21 pm

With all the mixes on the market today you shouldn't need to be adding anything else its all done for you with the corn merchants spending thousands of pounds to bring us the correct product for the right distance it all goes wrong when we complicate it and start adding a bit of this and a bit of that and the balance is wrong if you want a mix for sprint buy one sprint if its distance buy one for distance
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 8:28 pm

needless to say, next time I`ll pick a feed routine and stick with it.......... Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 8:35 pm

markevans wrote:
With all the mixes on the market today you shouldn't need to be adding anything else its all done for you with the corn merchants spending thousands of pounds to bring us the correct product for the right distance it all goes wrong when we complicate it and start adding a bit of this and a bit of that and the balance is wrong if you want a mix for sprint buy one sprint if its distance buy one for distance

what would you recommend for a distance mix a lot use a widowhood mix but add peanuts ....maybe a irish mix
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

PostSubject: Re: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 8:38 pm

Tryed buying different mixes in the past and tryed to be clever and thought I was doing the right thing but after visiting the versa laga factory in Belgium for a afternoon I soon realised that they now what we won't and need
Back to top Go down
mufc rick
Youngbird
Youngbird
mufc rick

PostSubject: Re: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 8:41 pm

premier gold Very Happy after 200 mile the digs lol!
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

PostSubject: Re: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 8:42 pm

I suppose its down to personal choice but I now bucktons do mixes from 0 to 250mls and mixes out to 800 mls
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 9:05 pm

mufc rick wrote:
premier gold Very Happy after 200 mile the digs lol!

who makes that ric
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 9:25 pm

Unfortunately, birds do not know how far they have to fly before the event. Corn for distance peas for shorter flights. Have a regular mix here now. 16% protein. The non-mated birds eat the cereals first for the cold etc, leave the peas. The birds feeding small young eat the peas and legumes first. Shorter distance higher protein but again, peas and beans were used many years ago with good results. Do not really think it matters.
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 10:12 pm

markevans wrote:

You correct Mark
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 5:55 am

devo56 wrote:
I have been looking at this subject, Would i be wrong in thinking it depends on what distance the racing pigeons are flying?.

One could say Devo 56 Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes you have just stepped into a minefield lol! lol! lol! "Been there, done that" Wink Wink Magic mixtures & which ones to choose etc. Never quite figured out bounce bounce going on the experts with a certain mix formula type of thing how the pigeons know exactly what they are surposed to eat on any given day from the mix. Perhaps ??? the more wise ones here Smile Smile can tell me how exactly it can be done. cheers
Back to top Go down
killer
Hatchling
Hatchling
killer

PostSubject: Re: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 5:57 am

We do have Standard Type mixe's out here as well ;but we like to add more Maize; Rice & Safflower as we go out ;we race our babies out to 500 plus mile on this mix ;our first two home from Launceston this year were 8 months old & thats over 525 miles ;with 350 Miles of Open Ocean;known as the roaring 40's by the Sailer's ;To be honest i think Feed is only one thing we must get right to fly Distance ; Right Birds ; Health ; Conditioning & luck also plays a Big part in it ; cheers
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 6:31 am

killer wrote:
We do have Standard Type mixe's out here as well ;but we like to add more Maize; Rice & Safflower as we go out ;we race our babies out to 500 plus mile on this mix ;our first two  home from Launceston this year were 8 months old & thats over 525 miles ;with 350 Miles of Open Ocean;known as the roaring 40's by the Sailer's ;To be honest i think Feed is only one thing we must get right to fly Distance ;  Right Birds ; Health ; Conditioning & luck also plays a Big part in it ; cheers  

I would like to suggest K Smile Smile we are more into the safflower bit here than most. Just out of interest also etc Wink Wink what type mix do you use on your transporter, when it takes the birds away up there.
Also !!! lol! lol! lol! lazy lot here, they never get out of bed when where on here for some strange reason. cheers
Back to top Go down
killer
Hatchling
Hatchling
killer

PostSubject: Re: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 8:46 am

Last 5 years we feed = wheat { Durham} & Maize on the Truck thats Thursday night Basketing for a Sat Race ;in launceston we have to fly them there as the Costs for our Truck is to high i think last time i inquired it was $3;000 just to cross Bass Strait & there's 4 to 5 Tanks of Fuel ;plus our liberator Pay for approx a week & acommindation etc ;blue it out of the Ball Park ; We get them there & return of our Folddown Baskets 15 bird for i think $9.00 per bird Airfrieght ;we charge $15.00 per bird to cover prize money etc;we purchase Wheat; Safflower & Maize over in Tassy to feed them while being held in a 500 bird Loft ;All other land Race's we use our own 3;000 bird Fed truck {SCF] ;which we have upgrade at a $20;000 cost 3 years ago ;Ventilation ;extra Drinkers ; 2 SolarPanels charge the Batterys to run the extra lighting in it ;& 3 Extrator Fans set on 18 degs Temp to cut in Feed Container Water Container ; plus general upgrade's of the unit ; something i'm very proud of ;with the help of our Fed Committee ; hoping this answer your Questons ; Cheers
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 10:00 am

what do you feed when they are at home killer
Back to top Go down
devo56
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 10:08 am

Sounds like you have a busy time there Killer, thank you for sharing your tasks.
Back to top Go down
killer
Hatchling
Hatchling
killer

PostSubject: Re: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 6:12 pm

We use a Standard mix all depending on the Food we can get at the time ;we are always looking to get the best Quility we can find ;some years harder than others ;Mostly looking for a high Carb Mix ; containing ; Bailey  Hardwheat{Durham} ; Maize ; Safflower ;Milo white & Red; a Mixture of Peas {3 types}no more than 5% of Peas in total mix ;thats it very simple ;on return from race a high protein mix on Saturday afternoon & sunday to repair any damage done ; come monday back on Standard mix ;i might add they don't work  well around the loft on Monday Morn  from that high PROTIEN mix ;but start to improve Mondaynight onwards when using the Standard mix ;come wednesday night Feed we start to introduce our Super mix 1/2 & 1/2 ;thats = parts hardwheat ;Hulled  Oats ; Safflower ; white Milo { Dari} Popcorn ; Brown Rice ; & a few Pea Nuts ;They are Fed 100% of the super Mix Thursday Morn after they have been worked which is 1/3 of there feed 2/3rds at lunch time for a Thursday night Basketing ;i might add here we start to cut the Bailey back at 300 miles & start adding Rice more Maize & Safflower to our Standard mix ; don't like shipping birds with full crops ;only to sick up in baskets ;normal second feed is late in the day through out the Rest of the week   thats it ; So basicly we  have turned  around the Old Euro way of feeding more Protein later in the week; to less protein ; the Old Way the birds became too sluggish to race Saturdays ; Off the South line we are flying here it depends on the day but our Velocitys are usley high . cheers
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 6:18 pm

seems good to me killer atb for 2015
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

PostSubject: Re: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 7:47 pm

A friend of mine a couple of seasons ago tried giving the birds race mix on return from the race on Saturday through to Wednesday then giving them the lighter food for the rest of the week to put back in what the birds had taken of them selves he said that they worked harder around home early in the week and was better for it I think that was the season he won the south east welsh national
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 8:49 pm

that's my plan this year m8 gonna use a widow mix all week and then thurs and fri morning gonna use a diet mix but maybe a energy mix fri morning if it looks a stiff race
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

PostSubject: Re: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 8:57 pm

Ye it makes sense to me to build up the birds early in the week than keep them down when they have exerted themselves in the race put back what they have lost
Back to top Go down
sj lofts
Hatchling
Hatchling
sj lofts

PostSubject: Re: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 9:17 pm

David wrote:
I changed to a high protein system this season just gone with my ybs, I gave protein (beans peas, tares) after the race, then broke them down, building them back up again for the end of the week...........it took a few weeks to get them coming well because I sent to the first race on Gerry plus, then changed my feed ....but each week they got higher up the sheet...
ur absolutely right feedin protein sat sun high carb mix till thurs morning then on to diat mix 200 full of fats watch them fly lol Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.stafvanreet.com/AboutUs.html
killer
Hatchling
Hatchling
killer

PostSubject: Re: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 11:22 pm

The only other thing i will add which i foregot before is on returning from Tossing ; Racing & loft work they get a small amount of Mixed Canary seed ;helps them to  trap faster  & easier to digest from race as well ;when i go to the club  Saturdaynight at 6.30 to have ets read i put on the lights & start the Protein mix ;up untill 300 miles they get Honey in the water for there first drink home ;at 300 mile &  after we add = parts Electrolite to the water for there first drink home ;when we go to the club ;we change the water & add = Garlic & lemon juice to the water & that stays there untill last feed on Sundaynight ; sorry nearly foregot all returning birds get a mixture of Grit ;pink powder ; picking stone & one teaspoon full of Sulphur added to one Gully pot ;i believe with the above combo it helps to take care of any nastys from the baskets ;take out the picking pots Sundaynight ; as i also believe to much Sulphur will dry out the feathers ;By putting the canary seed on top of the gully pots it helps them pick there & so doing inhale some of the sulphur & clear there respirey tract out ;& the small amount they eat helps with the gut also along with the Lemon Juice which adds Ph & the Garlic ;first drink monday they get fresh water ;Mondaynight Probiotic Powder with first drink Tuesday ; rest of the Week fresh water;last drink Thursday miday they get Iodine in the water thats it . cheers

Last edited by killer on Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: % of protein needed in racing mixture   % of protein needed in racing mixture Empty

Back to top Go down

% of protein needed in racing mixture
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next