Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
What are Members feeding now...? Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:35 am

» Scandalous .......
What are Members feeding now...? Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
What are Members feeding now...? Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
What are Members feeding now...? Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
What are Members feeding now...? Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:25 pm

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
What are Members feeding now...? Emptyby David Yesterday at 12:38 pm

» Good Morning
What are Members feeding now...? Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 11:19 am

» Morgan's new job
What are Members feeding now...? Emptyby Knackered Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:43 pm

» Another find
What are Members feeding now...? Emptyby David Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:14 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) What are Members feeding now...? 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 95 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 95 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.What are Members feeding now...? Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
What are Members feeding now...? Vote_lcapWhat are Members feeding now...? Voting_barWhat are Members feeding now...? Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
What are Members feeding now...? Vote_lcapWhat are Members feeding now...? Voting_barWhat are Members feeding now...? Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222577 messages in 14000 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
What are Members feeding now...? Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
What are Members feeding now...? Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

What are Members feeding now...?

Go down 
+4
oldstrain
caramel
markevans
David
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

What are Members feeding now...? Empty
PostSubject: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 8:31 pm

what are members feeding their birds now, are they still on a light(ish) mix whilst sitting eggs , or are they on a heavier mix while sitting or are they feeding a heavy mix because they are rearing young birds...?
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

PostSubject: Re: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 8:44 pm

Got mine on bamfords widowhood express as it has plenty of maize because they were leaving the protein
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 9:01 pm

mine seem to be eating less over the last week, I cankered them a week or so ago so wondering if this has anything to do with it...... scratch
Back to top Go down
caramel
Chipping
Chipping
caramel

PostSubject: Re: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 9:07 pm

Bert Braspenning feeds Marimans Variamax throughout the year for breeding, racing, moulting and resting. A combination of 30+ or so grains (I stand to be corrected)

Bert has won all before him so cannot be wrong in his approach to feeding with the system he races.

My first thought is that different varieties of peas, maize, dari etc all contain the same nutrients within a small percentage of content so therefore 3 types of pea really count as one type of grain and 4 varieties of maize also count as one type of grain etc; so the Variamax mix may only be a combination of a dozen or so actual different grain types.

So my questions are;

Are so many different grains needed anyway ?

Does feeding breakdown and building up fats etc help promote fitness and form ?

Are extra/additional types of grain needed for breeding/racing/moulting/resting ?

Back to top Go down
caramel
Chipping
Chipping
caramel

PostSubject: Re: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 9:09 pm

Please do not reply saying I should ask Bert Very Happy
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 9:18 pm

I think the easiest reply to all 3 questions caramel is yes and no to all of them.....each fancier has their own thoughts on each of these and each get different results......all 3 questions are valid and relevant I would say caramel, because all 3 are instrumental in our everyday management.
Back to top Go down
caramel
Chipping
Chipping
caramel

PostSubject: Re: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 9:27 pm

David wrote:
I think the easiest reply to all 3 questions caramel is  yes and no to all of them.....each fancier has their own thoughts on each of these and each get different results......all 3 questions are valid and relevant I would say caramel, because all 3 are instrumental in our everyday management.

1 Yes

2 Yes also protein after racing

3 Yes
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 9:57 pm

mine are on a lite mix until 7 days before hatching when I introduce the breeding mix gradually then onto junior plus for the ybs
Back to top Go down
Lofty
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 11:14 pm

Ours have been on a mix of depurative and high protein economy,50/50 mixed together, a week before the ybs hatched we switched to gem breed and wean, although the birds are leaving a lot of the maple peas
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 11:50 pm

caramel wrote:
Please do not reply saying I should ask Bert Very Happy
Laughing Laughing Laughing OK Smile Smile. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 11:59 pm

caramel wrote:
Bert Braspenning feeds Marimans Variamax throughout the year for breeding, racing, moulting and resting. A combination of 30+ or so grains (I stand to be corrected)

Bert has won all before him so cannot be wrong in his approach to feeding with the system he races.

My first thought is that different varieties of peas, maize, dari etc all contain the same nutrients within a small percentage of content so therefore 3 types of pea really count as one type of grain and 4 varieties of maize also count as one type of grain etc; so the Variamax mix may only be a combination of a dozen or so actual different grain types.

So my questions are;

Are so many different grains needed anyway ?

Does feeding breakdown and building up fats etc help promote fitness and form ?

Are extra/additional types of grain needed for breeding/racing/moulting/resting ?

Question 1 No. Question 2 Smile Smile Maybe. Question 3. All part of the spin & bling to get a sale etc I say. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
redrog
Youngbird
Youngbird
redrog

PostSubject: Re: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? EmptyThu Jan 26, 2017 11:14 am

breed & wean, breeding extra 1/2 and 1/2
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Re: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? EmptyThu Jan 26, 2017 5:44 pm

I have some couples with little babies and others sitting eggs, and yet others (my race team) that have not yet coupled - so what I have done is -

Made up a light mix with around 25% barley - I give this to the ones that have not laid, and those sitting on eggs.

I have also made up another mix that is a bit heavier with NO barley and I give this to the couples with youngsters. I also have little galley pots in with the ones with babies and I will start giving them a little extra high protein mix in their pots.

I don't put so much in the pots, so they don't need to go down and eat with the rest, as I believe this can make the birds very picky. But I do believe that birds feeding youngsters need a slightly higher protein supplement.

Phil

Back to top Go down
http://www.philongold.net
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? EmptyThu Jan 26, 2017 11:05 pm

redrog wrote:
breed & wean, breeding extra 1/2 and 1/2
For me Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I buy the cheapest mix around etc. Buy 10 get one free at 13 dollars a bag 20kg. Similar at other places are around $20/22 a bag as such. I then sieve/riddle it with a home made sieve I made to get the large maize out of the mix & then are only left with the small maize the size of a pea etc & then I add peas & safflower for the breeders. Works Ok for me Smile Smile & I will leave the 30 mix trick Laughing Laughing Laughing for those that believe it is required Wink Wink. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? EmptyFri Jan 27, 2017 6:58 pm

will be adding depurative back into my mix tomorrow, I stopped using it a couple of weeks ago and went onto a heavier mix which I`m not happy with, will lighten it up again for now until they are all feeding ybs.

have often thought of adding wild bird seed to my mix, it looks to have plenty of variety in it and is cheap at less than £4 a big sack, similar size to a normal sack of pigeon corn.... study
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

PostSubject: Re: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? EmptyFri Jan 27, 2017 7:22 pm

Aldi sell a big bag of wild bird food from what I've seen its not a bad mix. I'm going to get some natural maxi all pro season tomorrow and maybe some of bamfords new acticell
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? EmptyFri Jan 27, 2017 8:41 pm

the depurative ive been using is bamfords mark, ive used a few of their mixes and find them pretty decent corn...
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

PostSubject: Re: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? EmptyFri Jan 27, 2017 9:38 pm

It's not bad corn at all dave I like their multi task a lot 21 different grains in it and the young bird popcorn mix
Back to top Go down
caramel
Chipping
Chipping
caramel

PostSubject: Re: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? EmptyFri Jan 27, 2017 9:45 pm

David wrote:
will be adding depurative back into my mix tomorrow, I stopped using it a couple of weeks ago and went onto a heavier mix which I`m not happy with, will lighten it up again for now until they are all feeding ybs.

have often thought of adding wild bird seed to my mix, it looks to have plenty of variety in it and is cheap at less than £4 a big sack, similar size to a normal sack of pigeon corn.... study

Wild bird seed is an absolute non starter. My local corn merchant adds all his unsold/out of date grains into his wild bird mix.

He is only cutting his losses and the grains may still be ok, personally I would never even contemplate using the stuff even if I did not know it`s history
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? EmptyFri Jan 27, 2017 10:08 pm

your quite right in what you say caramel, if the corn man does that I`d not be buying any off him......we have a local shop near me called B&M, which is a super market type of shop, they tend to sell things which should have been more expensive cheap, this is where they have the wild bird seed.

even so I`m not going to give them any at the moment it was only a thought.... cheers
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? EmptyFri Jan 27, 2017 11:30 pm

David wrote:
your quite right in what you say caramel, if the corn man does that I`d not be buying any off him......we have a local shop near me called B&M, which is a super market type of shop, they tend to sell things which should have been more expensive cheap, this is where they have the wild bird seed.

even so I`m not going to give them any at the moment it was only a thought.... cheers
Careful with the thought process etc David Smile Smile it could leed you into the un known as such. Here I've often looked at the wild bird mixes etc but most tend to have oats in them to a large degree & don't take my fancy because of it. Groats on the other hand I would feed every day if it wasn't so dear to buy down here, sadly. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? EmptySat Jan 28, 2017 8:33 am

mould spores springs to mind with wild bird seed so go careful...be better off with a bag of barley and wheat or depurative ....atb
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? EmptySat Jan 28, 2017 8:39 am

yes that's what I`m getting this morning Darren, the bamfords depurative is nice enough stuff ive found.... cheers
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? EmptySat Jan 28, 2017 8:51 am

Wink yes I like the bamfords mixes m8 ...just to far to travel to get it here
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Re: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? EmptySat Jan 28, 2017 9:37 am

Can I just say:-

I believe that you only get out of your 'Racing' pigeons, what you put in!

And, if one is buying wild bird seed to save a quid. Then you end up with a far Inferior product with all the added complications that that might bring - Isn't that 'False Economy'?

Members have mentioned mould, what about dust, mouse poo, mites, weevils and maybe a whole host of other nasties.

Lots of people go out and spend untold amounts of money on 'So-Called' wonder drugs or tonic this or energy that - and most of it is crap! Not to mention all the needless antibiotics some people pump into their birds.

In my opinion, it is better to buy Quality feed and less stuff that comes out of a bottle!

Phil

Back to top Go down
http://www.philongold.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are Members feeding now...?   What are Members feeding now...? Empty

Back to top Go down

What are Members feeding now...?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next