Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Keeping damp out of the loft Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 9:05 am

» Weather today
Keeping damp out of the loft Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:42 am

» King removes Patronage
Keeping damp out of the loft Emptyby David Yesterday at 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
Keeping damp out of the loft Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:25 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Keeping damp out of the loft Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Keeping damp out of the loft Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
Keeping damp out of the loft Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
Keeping damp out of the loft Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
Keeping damp out of the loft Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Keeping damp out of the loft 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 73 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 73 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Keeping damp out of the loft Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Keeping damp out of the loft Vote_lcapKeeping damp out of the loft Voting_barKeeping damp out of the loft Vote_rcap 
David
Keeping damp out of the loft Vote_lcapKeeping damp out of the loft Voting_barKeeping damp out of the loft Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222765 messages in 14003 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Keeping damp out of the loft Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Keeping damp out of the loft Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Keeping damp out of the loft

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Keeping damp out of the loft Empty
PostSubject: Keeping damp out of the loft   Keeping damp out of the loft EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 2:11 pm

A bit more advice please you guys.  

When I construct a new loft, I normally put down breeze blocks at each corner and make sure they are square and level, then I put in more along the sides and some in the middle to make the centre of the loft sturdy.

Then on top of that I lay down a foundation of wooden timbers around about 4 - 4 1/2 inches, or around 100-110 mm, square, with corresponding timbers in the centres, giving the whole construction a very firm base.

On top of that I lay the floor, which is always WBP or marine ply, between 15 - 18 mm thick, and screw those down to the floor joists.  Before laying the floor boards, we always paint the underside with at least 2 coats of sealer or wood preservative, and paint the top side with 2 or 3 layers of yacht varnish.

Then I make framework panels, normally out of something like 2 1/2 x 3 inches, or 60 x 80 mm.  Then attach either plywood sheets or tongue and groove to the framework, and hoist them in the air, normally beginning with a back section and a side section screwed together to make a corner, to make a rigid base to work from.

I always make sure that the external timbers, whether that is ply or tongue and groove or shiplap, go down beyond the floorboard level and down over the floor joists, but still sometimes, when it rains heavily, I get an ingress of water which seems to be coming upwards from the end of the exterior boards.

Should I put in some kind of water barrier, Visquene, damp course etc?  and if so, where?  between the breeze blocks and the floor joists, or between the floor joists and the floor boards?

If I should put in some kind of damp course, what exactly should I use?  I have some visquene but it is about 10 years old.  If I have to buy new, that's OK but I need to know exactly what I should buy.

Over to your expertise!

Phil
Back to top Go down
http://www.philongold.net
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Keeping damp out of the loft   Keeping damp out of the loft EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 2:35 pm

you could put dpc on top of the blocks before you put the floor joist on phil, I never have and ive never had a problem....but you could do.

also If using tounge and groove I would make sure each piece is firmly tapped into the other pieces, I use a rubber hammer......also on the outside of each sections when fixed together put a lat down where the framework is exposed.

also when painting / staining make sure you paint the edges that overlap the floor or damp could creep in.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Keeping damp out of the loft   Keeping damp out of the loft EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 2:50 pm

on our last loft erected 2 year ago now we had a hardcore base to work from and laid block piers 3 blocks high and then a timber frame on top of that out of fence posts then with a staple gun tacked a 150 mil dpc to the fence post frame and have had no problems ...make sure the piers and frame are under the loft far enough so that any water running off the loft does not hit them and I am sure you will be ok atb
Back to top Go down
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

PostSubject: Re: Keeping damp out of the loft   Keeping damp out of the loft EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 4:00 pm

What is DPC and how does it come?

Phil
Back to top Go down
http://www.philongold.net
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Keeping damp out of the loft   Keeping damp out of the loft EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 4:15 pm

blueskylofts wrote:
What is DPC and how does it come?

Phil

dpc phil, is damp proof course....it comes on 4 1/2 wide or 9 inch wide rolls, its the damp course for brickwork, but is ideal for putting under the floor joists.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keeping damp out of the loft   Keeping damp out of the loft Empty

Back to top Go down

Keeping damp out of the loft
Page 1 of 1