Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
When You Pairing Up . Emptyby oldstrain Today at 2:00 pm

» Good Morning
When You Pairing Up . Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 8:17 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
When You Pairing Up . Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:49 pm

» good luck weekend
When You Pairing Up . Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:30 pm

» escaped birds return
When You Pairing Up . Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 10:24 pm

» Scandalous .......
When You Pairing Up . Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
When You Pairing Up . Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
When You Pairing Up . Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:41 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
When You Pairing Up . Emptyby David Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:25 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) When You Pairing Up . 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 113 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 112 Guests :: 2 Bots

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.When You Pairing Up . Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
When You Pairing Up . Vote_lcapWhen You Pairing Up . Voting_barWhen You Pairing Up . Vote_rcap 
David
When You Pairing Up . Vote_lcapWhen You Pairing Up . Voting_barWhen You Pairing Up . Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222607 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
When You Pairing Up . Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
When You Pairing Up . Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

When You Pairing Up .

Go down 
+5
friendsloft
redrog
markevans
Romedius
David
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

When You Pairing Up . Empty
PostSubject: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 2:52 pm

when are members planning on pairing up, I normally pair 1st Saturday in feb, but if my loft is up or nearly up which I intend racing ybs to I`m thinking of pairing mid January......
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 3:05 pm

I'm so green, I haven't decided. I can't find a mentor that will take the time to give us some advice over here. I suppose I better wait until mid febuary. I really need to get three rounds out. Our first YB race is in September.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 3:10 pm

when are your 2018 rings available rom, and when does your old bird / young bird racing season start...?

if you could tell us maybe the members could advise.
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 3:16 pm

We have our first meeting in Bozeman on January 4th. I can buy rings then. I will look on the clubs website for first race date now.
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 3:30 pm

http://www.montanaloft.com/index.php/young-birds-results/young-birds-2016/

This is all I could find on their website. They haven't decided on a schedule yet, but it will be close to these start dates. I will mention the dates when I get a definitive. I live in a bowl, ringed in high white capped mountains. I wad told last February that getting birds to cross over them will be a challenge. No rivers or valleys to follow.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 3:33 pm

yes, racing certainly sounds challenging rom, altho` it does sound a great place to be........ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 3:41 pm

Yes sir, quite a challenge. Beautiful place to live, but plenty of challenges. The zero crime rate is nice though. Kids may toilet paper your house from time to time is about the biggest worry.
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 4:04 pm

May be the closest Saturday to Valentines day or try and be parting them off two weeks before the clocks go forward
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 4:16 pm

Mark, do most of you racers in England pair up close to the same time? I found Jenner,s film on loft design interesting as can be. The pigeon show in Blackpool looks like a great time! I don't deal with crowds like I use to, but Blackpool would be first on my bucket list.
Does timing near time change make loft management easier?
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 4:28 pm

We'll ROM the trend is to pair early now as some will have young birds in the nest now and rings on them whereas a few years ago it would be mid January as most won't the young on the darkness system and the old birds away from the youngsters as early as possible so it dose seem to be getting earlier for breeding as for me I don't get home from work until 17.30 ish and at this time of the year its dark so can't have the young out so I like to have them around March time so when the clocks go on a hour I can have them out when I get home maybe only 30 minutes at first but it all helps
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 4:35 pm

That makes sense to me. I work similar hours, and loft flying morning and evening was great in the summer. I've been stressed on trap training in the spring. Looks like I'm going to have to get my timing right. Thanks for the advice, gives me something to work with
Back to top Go down
redrog
Youngbird
Youngbird
redrog

PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 6:07 pm

paired race team Friday, and the stock have started pairing today, like the Alamo down in race loft but stock lot quieter so far
Back to top Go down
friendsloft
Youngbird
Youngbird
friendsloft

PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 6:24 pm

I paired up Xmas day the racers the stock birds were paired a week earlier
Ken
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/friendsloft/index.htm
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . EmptyWed Dec 27, 2017 12:09 am

Rom it all depends on what your plans are. Obviously you want to win. With what? Young birds this year or yearlings or old birds following years? If young birds this year pair anytime now. They should be good for 1st young bird races and second round also. Your weather is much colder than here. But as long as you can stop the water freezing when they are feeding young not a problem. UK different climate altogether same as where Knackered is. I ghave some pairs hatching next 3 days. Minus 20 celsius. Not as many as usual. Stock birds only. Some stock just laying now. Deserted 1st eggs for some reason. No matter.  Do not worry about getting them air borne early. I quit worrying about that some years ago. As long as they have an aviary or cage over the landing board they will be fine. They will observe the hawks etc, and the routine as such. They will be much more wary than young let out for the first time and are not strong enough on the wing to avoid predators. These early ones should be. When you want them in call them for feed. From the landing board. Repetition pays dividends. They will adapt to any system if you start them right. Whistle, dog bark whatever. Mine come back from a race they just trap. They know there is a reward. You may lose some early ones.  Strong on the wing and all. Had one stay out 2 weeks early in the year. Second for me 1st young bird race. However, some are just stupid anyway. As for location, no straight fly in, do not be too concerned. Smart pigeons, old or young will usually find the fastest way home. Of course they will make mistakes. Good ones learn from them. Who wants dummies anyway? All the birds hit a sidewind or such you are on equal footing. Slow tough race the same. Not all birds are equal. Sort the wheat from the chaff. 3rd round pigeons would take it easy on them though. Just get them on the road enough so they get experience.
PS. Racers. will let them pair up as I see the schedule. No young from them Chaos system.
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . EmptyWed Dec 27, 2017 3:01 am

halcanada wrote:
Rom it all depends on what your plans are. Obviously you want to win. With what? Young birds this year or yearlings or old birds following years? If young birds this year pair anytime now. They should be good for 1st young bird races and second round also. Your weather is much colder than here. But as long as you can stop the water freezing when they are feeding young not a problem. UK different climate altogether same as where Knackered is. I ghave some pairs hatching next 3 days. Minus 20 celsius. Not as many as usual. Stock birds only. Some stock just laying now. Deserted 1st eggs for some reason. No matter.  Do not worry about getting them air borne early. I quit worrying about that some years ago. As long as they have an aviary or cage over the landing board they will be fine. They will observe the hawks etc, and the routine as such. They will be much more wary than young let out for the first time and are not strong enough on the wing to avoid predators. These early ones should be. When you want them in call them for feed. From the landing board. Repetition pays dividends. They will adapt to any system if you start them right. Whistle, dog bark whatever. Mine come back from a race they just trap. They know there is a reward. You may lose some early ones.  Strong on the wing and all. Had one stay out 2 weeks early in the year. Second for me 1st young bird race. However, some are just stupid anyway. As for location, no straight fly in, do not be too concerned. Smart pigeons, old or young will usually find the fastest way home. Of course they will make mistakes. Good ones learn from them. Who wants dummies anyway? All the birds hit a sidewind or such you are on equal footing. Slow tough race the same. Not all birds are equal. Sort the wheat from the chaff. 3rd round pigeons would take it easy on them though. Just get them on the road enough so they get experience.
PS. Racers. will let them pair up as I see the schedule. No young from them Chaos system.

Thanks Hal. I want to race some old birds this spring, and a much larger young bird team in the. I feel confident in the squeakers I purchased last april. My biggest concern would be to lose the stock I have now, hopefully fall will leave me with 20 pair. I was given the 20 racers with the unspoken understanding that I would build a proper loft and get them to the races this year. I would never been able to afford them otherwise. I'm taking notes. I thank you for taking the time.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . EmptyWed Dec 27, 2017 9:10 am

Romedius wrote:
I'm so green, I haven't decided.  I can't find a mentor that will take the time to give us some advice over here.  I suppose I better wait until mid febuary.  I really need to get three rounds out.  Our first YB race is in September.  
Just ask a local Smile Smile like Jenner, Rom Wink Wink  or could even ring your club secretary/president to get some idea there. Being a novice & if they are on the smart/fair side etc they should help you I would hope. Now, horses for courses Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes & in many ways your flying blind as we say here, but a 6 month old baby if everything falls into place bounce bounce even with all your mountains there, should be OK from my perspective if you learn to read the local weather paterns on race day as such.  cheers
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . EmptyWed Dec 27, 2017 9:16 am

halcanada wrote:

Good advice for you there Rom, Hal understands your situation better than us uk based lofts good luck Smile
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . EmptyWed Dec 27, 2017 9:39 am

Romedius wrote:
That makes sense to me.   I work similar hours, and loft flying morning and evening was great in the summer.  I've been stressed on trap training in the spring.  Looks like I'm going to have to get my timing right.  Thanks for the advice,  gives me something to work with
Rom Smile Smile many people could tell/teach you how to get your birds trapping quick etc, its easy. Pay to remember thou in your situation "Being a mountain man" hungry pigeons just will not cut the mustard I would suggest & neither will fat ones Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes. So just try to find a happy balance with everything you do with your birds there. cheers
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . EmptyWed Dec 27, 2017 10:01 am

vaccinated 3 weeks ago now and just cankering them now their on there last day of treatment then a cocci tablet and worming tablet each then between 10th and 14th they will be paired as I like a week of probiotics and vitamins after this
Back to top Go down
fieldwalker
Youngbird
Youngbird
fieldwalker

PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . EmptyWed Dec 27, 2017 10:03 am

Im getting very close to pairing now stock of clean straw ready...nest bowls all spotless [ since september]
breading mix and mineral mix in all tratments finished on probiotics all pairings [stock] studied for the umpteenth time study study study
dont really know whats holding me back...oh aye a nice sunny day and there offfffff bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . EmptyWed Dec 27, 2017 10:19 am

markevans wrote:
We'll ROM the trend is to pair early now as some will have young birds in the nest now and rings on them whereas a few years ago it would be mid January as most won't the young on the darkness system and the old birds away from the youngsters as early as possible so it dose seem to be getting earlier for breeding as for me I don't get home from work until 17.30 ish and at this time of the year its dark so can't have the young out so I like to have them around March time so when the clocks go on a hour I can have them out when I get home maybe only 30 minutes at first but it all helps

seems to be that way eh mark but what a rush after the moult unless guys are treating during it atb
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . EmptyWed Dec 27, 2017 1:34 pm

Knackered wrote:
Romedius wrote:
I'm so green, I haven't decided.  I can't find a mentor that will take the time to give us some advice over here.  I suppose I better wait until mid febuary.  I really need to get three rounds out.  Our first YB race is in September.  
Just ask a local Smile Smile like Jenner, Rom Wink Wink  or could even ring your club secretary/president to get some idea there. Being a novice & if they are on the smart/fair side etc they should help you I would hope. Now, horses for courses Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes & in many ways your flying blind as we say here, but a 6 month old baby if everything falls into place bounce bounce even with all your mountains there, should be OK from my perspective if you learn to read the local weather paterns on race day as such.  cheers

I do call them knackered. Everybody is so busy that a fella gets the impression of " just figure it out". Now I did get a chance to talk to our club president on Christmas eve. He will talk with me on the sixth, which is why I'm taking notes. I understand the mentality though, I'm not a kid so there is no pressure to "help the next generation out". I'll get it eventually. Just enjoying the ride.
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 12:14 am

Be prepared for lots of conflicting advice. Some folks are nice to your face and encourage you. Then give faulty advice so you do not win. You may have many friends now in the club. But if it follows the normal way of things, the more you win the less friends you will have. You have to go your own way, usually by trial and error. There is no one winning system. Whatever works stick with it. Not working abandon it. Good birds and good natural health. Usually hard to beat.
Back to top Go down
Romedius
Hatchling
Hatchling
Romedius

PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 12:36 am

Funny, but I've taken notice of the petulant attitudes. I just want to enjoy myself, maybe pass something fun to the children. I've got over 600 blue bird nest boxes around here. I inquired on a club for blue bird trail operators after a couple years. Guess what? They got mad Very Happy I had more boxes up than the whole lot of them. I appreciate the candid advice Hal. I believe you.

Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 12:41 am

Rom. This fellow can explain it better. Well worth the watch time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byieQ_suLp0&feature=share
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When You Pairing Up .   When You Pairing Up . Empty

Back to top Go down

When You Pairing Up .
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next