Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» King removes Patronage
Nest Box... Emptyby David Yesterday at 8:46 pm

» Weather today
Nest Box... Emptyby David Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Good Morning
Nest Box... Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:34 am

» escaped birds return
Nest Box... Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:25 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Nest Box... Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Nest Box... Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
Nest Box... Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
Nest Box... Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
Nest Box... Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Nest Box... 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 78 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 77 Guests :: 1 Bot

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Nest Box... Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Nest Box... Vote_lcapNest Box... Voting_barNest Box... Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222761 messages in 14003 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Nest Box... Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Nest Box... Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Nest Box...

Go down 
+5
MISTY
halcanada
Knackered
morb
FlyAwayHome
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
FlyAwayHome
Chipping
Chipping
FlyAwayHome

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Nest Box...   Nest Box... EmptySun Mar 11, 2018 3:49 pm

What are some important points/things a nestbox must possess? I know ventilation is one, but I want to make sure that the box I'm making right now has everything my pigeon needs.

And also - relatively stupid question - should a nest box be used only for nesting?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
morb
Chipping
Chipping
morb

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... EmptySun Mar 11, 2018 4:19 pm

an inside measurement of 16'' deep, 24'' wide and 12'' high is a good size for nest boxes. you will need to make a front that is removable or hinged so you can open it up for cleaning. i'll see if i can find a pic for you.

have nest boxes on one wall and perches on the wall across from the nest boxes. the cock birds will claim the their boxes while the hens sit on the perches until they pair up. very basic explanation

i lock my pairs in the box till they are sitting on eggs then open the front so they can come and go, once they are close to laying a second round i lock them up again that way you know who mom and dad are. after breeding season i seperate the hens and cocks and put the hens in a different loft, the cock birds stay in the breeding loft and they use the nest box all winter.

Last edited by morb on Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
morb
Chipping
Chipping
morb

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... EmptySun Mar 11, 2018 4:32 pm

there is a fella in alberta that sells pigeon supplies, i have bought nest bowels from him in the past https://www.northstardoves.com/collections/rings/products/wood-breeding-box

also the crpu sells pigeon supplies http://www.crpu.ca/

here is a pick of a single nest box
Nest Box... 101211

i made my nest front with wire instead of dowel, i take a pic of mine later for you
Back to top Go down
FlyAwayHome
Chipping
Chipping
FlyAwayHome

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... EmptySun Mar 11, 2018 4:43 pm

Thanks, Morb! That helps a lot! Smile
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... EmptyMon Mar 12, 2018 12:23 am

FlyAwayHome wrote:
Fly Away Smile Smile fancy, fancy is good Wink Wink but at your stage etc & I presume you may only have a small type budget there so not really necessary to a degree, may I suggest for your little champs of scrubber types there  bounce  bounce.  You could maybe find some 20 litre type containers, tin/plastic as such, that you may have for your horses that could have had molasses in them or the like. My first boxes here Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes were large biscuit tins lol! lol! lol! & they were quite the fashion being cheap, cheap Smile Smile for all the kids on the block at the time. cheers
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... EmptyMon Mar 12, 2018 12:36 am

All they need is a little straw on the floor or as Knackered says, biscuit tin.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... EmptyMon Mar 12, 2018 1:38 am

FlyAwayHome wrote:
What are some important points/things a nestbox must possess? I know ventilation is one, but I want to make sure that the box I'm making right now has everything my pigeon needs.

And also - relatively stupid question - should a nest box be used only for nesting?

Cheers
Never think for one moment etc Fly Away Smile Smile a question/query may be of a stupid nature here Wink Wink. By asking as such bounce bounce one gains knowledge on average & knowledge is a gift more people should try to achieve I would suggest Smile Smile even if fortunately one is young of nature  Wink  Wink like yourself as such. cheers
Back to top Go down
FlyAwayHome
Chipping
Chipping
FlyAwayHome

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... EmptyMon Mar 12, 2018 2:38 am

Knackered wrote:
FlyAwayHome wrote:
Fly Away Smile Smile fancy, fancy is good Wink Wink but at your stage etc & I presume you may only have a small type budget there so not really necessary to a degree, may I suggest for your little champs of scrubber types there  bounce  bounce.

Aye! Fancy is best! Wink That's my ultimate goal; same with my horses. Smile And you're also right about my budget; nearly all the stuff I'm gonna need I'll have to build myself. I guess that's a good thing though, as long as I can learn all about what I have to do somewhere. Smile

Quote :
You could maybe find some 20 litre type containers, tin/plastic as such, that you may have for your horses that could have had molasses in them or the like.

You're brilliant, you know Wink We have an uncountable amount of 20 litre pails everywhere, used for, as you said, feeding and watering cows and horses.

Quote :
My first boxes here Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes were large biscuit tins lol! lol! lol! & they were quite the fashion being cheap, cheap Smile Smile for all the kids on the block at the time. cheers

Lol, You only need an imagination to do anything, really! Thanks for the suggestions and also for your second post! Smile

Last edited by FlyAwayHome on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
FlyAwayHome
Chipping
Chipping
FlyAwayHome

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... EmptyMon Mar 12, 2018 2:40 am

halcanada wrote:

Relieving to know that it doesn't have to be as fancy as some of the lofts you see on the internet. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... EmptyMon Mar 12, 2018 5:30 am

FlyAwayHome wrote:
halcanada wrote:

Relieving to know that it doesn't have to be as fancy as some of the lofts you see on the internet. Thanks!
Smile Smile If you want fancy, fancy Fly Away Wink Wink Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes just copy Hals lofts etc lol! lol! lol! Dream world type of scenario I suggest Smile Smile & mine are even better  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes would you believe Wink Wink. Now Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes the horsey bit Fly away, maybe for your little future champs there. Salt licks & molasses, kill 2 birds with one stone bounce bounce & mum & dad may not even twig who you are actually feeding there Smile Smile.  cheers
Back to top Go down
morb
Chipping
Chipping
morb

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... EmptyTue Mar 13, 2018 12:44 am

don't need to be fancy but should be better than just throwing straw on the floor. they like their privacy and are less likely to leave their eggs if they are in a box  don't even need fronts on the box if you don't want but it does help them defend their box from another pair that want to take it over. something cheap for nest bowls and your set, i get dog food dishes from the dollar store for nest bowls.
i know they are just barn pigeons but if keeping pigeons turns out something that you enjoy later on why do it right, now?
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... EmptyTue Mar 13, 2018 1:15 am

Stock loft has 16 boxes. Front half closed with a wire grill. 12 pairs. 5 pairs prefer the floor. Shavings or straw. Nest bowls are plastic dog bowls or fruit basketts or in one two bricks to corner off a portion. Or two pieces of two x by fours. Otherflying lofts, soon to be demolished, many more boxes than pairs. Yet some still prefer the floor. Do not fly widowhood so does not matter to me wherever they nest.They are happy, I am happy.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... EmptyTue Mar 13, 2018 1:42 am

morb wrote:
don't need to be fancy but should be better than just throwing straw on the floor. they like their privacy and are less likely to leave their eggs if they are in a box  don't even need fronts on the box if you don't want but it does help them defend their box from another pair that want to take it over. something cheap for nest bowls and your set, i get dog food dishes from the dollar store for nest bowls.
i know they are just barn pigeons but if keeping pigeons turns out something that you enjoy later on why do it right, now?
Do it right Smile Smile what type of budget do you think Fly Away may/would have Morb after looking after her 3 horses there etc Wink Wink. Fancy, fancy may appear the way to go bounce bounce but just how much pocket money does a 12 year old have as such, to do things the right way as you suggest Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
morb
Chipping
Chipping
morb

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... EmptyTue Mar 13, 2018 2:23 am

wow never thought advice would cause such a problem. let me say it a different way, do the best you can with what you have, put some effort into it.
when my son was eight he wanted to raise rabbits, i helped him out and he worked it off. we used reclaimed lumber but had to buy wire so cost was low, he did the best he could with what he had plus he made a few bucks selling rabbits.
i build everything i can and use lots of reclaimed materials to save money, just gotta look around. my breeding loft cost me less than $200 15 years ago, i got a 10 x 12 foot garden shed for 50$, perches cost nothing cause i knocked pellets that are free apart on used the 1x4 for the perches, my first nest boxes where made from old cupboards that i tore apart, bought wire for the front, made a door out of left over plywood, bought paint at a stupid low price, etc

that's it for my advice. peace
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... EmptyTue Mar 13, 2018 9:15 am

morb wrote:
wow never thought advice would cause such a problem. let me say it a different way, do the best you can with what you have, put some effort into it.
when my son was eight he wanted to raise rabbits, i helped him out and he worked it off. we used reclaimed lumber but had to buy wire so cost was low, he did the best he could with what he had plus he made a few bucks selling rabbits.
i build everything i can and use lots of reclaimed materials to save money, just gotta look around. my breeding loft cost me less than $200 15 years ago, i got a 10 x 12 foot garden shed for 50$, perches cost nothing cause i knocked pellets that are free apart on used the 1x4 for the perches, my first nest boxes where made from old cupboards that i tore apart, bought wire for the front, made a door out of left over plywood, bought paint at a stupid low price, etc

that's it for my advice. peace
Peace to you also Morb Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes from one of the flower flower power generation types etc  Smile  Smile. Hopefully Fly Away here now bounce bounce will find/get  some good ideas from your thoughts above etc  Smile  Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... EmptyTue Mar 13, 2018 2:13 pm

There is an old saying, A dog is for life'

If you cannot reasonably guarantee that the feral pigeons will be looked after on a permanent basis they would be better left alone, because if later left they will have lost their present means of existing.

As for nest boxes etc.

In the days pigeons were bred for food they were kept in brick buildings and they bred in apertures made by removing two internal bricks.

When I was young some 75 years ago we youngsters made everything from orange and apple boxes and anything else we could lay our hands on and I never heard a pigeron complain.

Lattely fanciers have adopted the clinical methods, mainly to impress their friends with all the clinicasl conditions have arrisen many health problems and some lofts smell like chemist shops.

We have hundreds of ferals that breed on anyhing that can hold a nest, bridges, roofs and any other place.

Two of the best pigeons I ever bred were nest mates bred in the deep litter.

There is no hard and fast rule regarding how to keep any animal other than to ensure they receive a better life than if they wre left alone.

Regards,.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... EmptyTue Mar 13, 2018 8:10 pm

MISTY wrote:
There is an old saying, A dog is for life'

If you cannot reasonably guarantee that the feral pigeons will be looked after on a permanent basis they would be better left alone, because if later left they will have lost their present means of existing.

As for nest boxes etc.

In the days pigeons were bred for food they were kept in brick buildings and they bred in apertures made by removing two internal bricks.

When I was young some 75 years ago we youngsters made everything from orange and apple boxes and anything else we could lay our hands on and I never heard a pigeron complain.

Lattely fanciers have adopted the clinical methods, mainly to impress their friends with all the clinicasl conditions  have arrisen many health problems and some lofts smell like chemist shops.

We have hundreds of ferals that breed on anyhing that can hold a nest, bridges, roofs and any other place.

Two of the best pigeons I ever bred were nest mates bred in the deep litter.

There is no hard and fast rule regarding how to keep any animal other than to ensure they receive a better life than if they wre left alone.

Regards,.

Your thoughts Misty Smile Smile remind me of when the PM virus hit down here etc. "The experts"  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes told us the world was going to end type of thing if we didn't vaccinate all our birds & the same with the Rota virus issue. Strangely some how Wink Wink the old feral types here are still going strong, some how. Suggest, lacking in computer skills lol! lol! lol! & not big on the reading bit maybe I suggest bounce bounce by the expert types  Wink  Wink  to fully understand the predicament they are all in, in there daily life as such Smile Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... EmptyWed Mar 14, 2018 1:02 am

Pallets must hav been a bitch to use. Usually they are hardwood.
Back to top Go down
morb
Chipping
Chipping
morb

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... EmptyWed Mar 14, 2018 1:19 am

not really, the free ones are soft wood. my young bird loft is 100% stripped down pellets and scavaged 2x4's, even the nails are reused from the pellets. it was a lot of work but free is free
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... EmptyWed Mar 14, 2018 1:28 am

morb wrote:
not really, the free ones are soft wood. my young bird loft is 100% stripped down pellets and scavaged 2x4's, even the nails are reused from the pellets. it was a lot of work but free is free
I agree Morb Smile Smile 100 differant types if one is prepared to go scrounging as such I suggest. Tomorrow is my pick up day would you believe in getting pellets lol! lol! lol! here & 90% of it all will go into my fire for winter. cheers & peace to all Wink Wink.
Back to top Go down
morb
Chipping
Chipping
morb

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... EmptyWed Mar 14, 2018 1:46 am

i figure if your gonna keep any animal you owe it that animal to give the best you can, if you can't or won't be bothered to go the distance then don't bother. my stuff may not be as pretty as bought stuff but is usually better made and the critters are happy and healthy. when i got into falconry which is what got me into pigeons i made all my own falconry stuff cause money was tight, i learned leather work to make hoods for the hawks even tack for the horses. turned out leathercraft is kinda my thing, i can knock out some pretty good stuff. being poor has it's advantages lol
i don't use pellets that much anymore but i still grab a few here and there
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... EmptyWed Mar 14, 2018 3:53 am

morb wrote:
i figure if your gonna keep any animal you owe it that animal to give the best you can, if you can't or won't be bothered to go the distance then don't bother. my stuff may not be as pretty as bought stuff but is usually better made and the critters are happy and healthy. when i got into falconry which is what got me into pigeons i made all my own falconry stuff cause money was tight, i learned leather work to make hoods for the hawks even tack for the horses. turned out leathercraft is kinda my thing, i can knock out some pretty good stuff. being poor has it's advantages lol
i don't use pellets that much anymore but i still grab a few here and there
Always handy being handy with the hands Morb Smile Smile I suggest, has it's advantages as you say etc bounce bounce especially when poor Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes. Also have a large area under my house here, 1/2 concrete the other half made of all pellet type wood. Bearers/joists & the floor as such. Been down for at least 30 odd years now & still as good as the day I put it all down. Know absolutely nothing about pigeons I'm affraid but I'm a bit of a connoisseur type lol! lol! lol! when it comes to pallets as such. cheers
Back to top Go down
morb
Chipping
Chipping
morb

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 3:38 pm

FlyAwayHome wrote:
I want to make sure that the box I'm making right now has everything my pigeon needs.

Cheers

how did you make out with your nest box?
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 4:08 pm

I am thinking of making some custom boxes for my stock for next year as I don't really like floating eggs...thinking of a 4 ft x 2 ft x 2ft with 2 small shelfs either end for bowls and no fronts just open a nice easy construction
Back to top Go down
FlyAwayHome
Chipping
Chipping
FlyAwayHome

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 4:17 pm

morb wrote:
FlyAwayHome wrote:
I want to make sure that the box I'm making right now has everything my pigeon needs.

Cheers

how did you make out with your nest box?

I think it'll do nicely, but I haven't had the chance to try it out yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Nest Box... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... Empty

Back to top Go down

Nest Box...
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next