Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Nest Box... - Page 2 Emptyby oldstrain Today at 12:21 pm

» Weather today
Nest Box... - Page 2 Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 12:09 pm

» King removes Patronage
Nest Box... - Page 2 Emptyby oldstrain Today at 11:04 am

» York Road & District Results 2024
Nest Box... - Page 2 Emptyby David Yesterday at 1:35 pm

» APHA Forms .......
Nest Box... - Page 2 Emptyby David Fri May 17, 2024 11:38 am

» come join us
Nest Box... - Page 2 Emptyby David Thu May 16, 2024 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Nest Box... - Page 2 Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
Nest Box... - Page 2 Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Nest Box... - Page 2 Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Nest Box... - Page 2 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 45 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 44 Guests :: 1 Bot

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Nest Box... - Page 2 Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Nest Box... - Page 2 Vote_lcapNest Box... - Page 2 Voting_barNest Box... - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
Nest Box... - Page 2 Vote_lcapNest Box... - Page 2 Voting_barNest Box... - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
David
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1298 registered users
The newest registered user is Marcdvc11

Our users have posted a total of 222893 messages in 14007 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Nest Box... - Page 2 Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Nest Box... - Page 2 Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Nest Box...

Go down 
+5
MISTY
halcanada
Knackered
morb
FlyAwayHome
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
FlyAwayHome
Chipping
Chipping
FlyAwayHome

Nest Box... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 4:19 pm

Knackered wrote:
morb wrote:
wow never thought advice would cause such a problem. let me say it a different way, do the best you can with what you have, put some effort into it.
when my son was eight he wanted to raise rabbits, i helped him out and he worked it off. we used reclaimed lumber but had to buy wire so cost was low, he did the best he could with what he had plus he made a few bucks selling rabbits.
i build everything i can and use lots of reclaimed materials to save money, just gotta look around. my breeding loft cost me less than $200 15 years ago, i got a 10 x 12 foot garden shed for 50$, perches cost nothing cause i knocked pellets that are free apart on used the 1x4 for the perches, my first nest boxes where made from old cupboards that i tore apart, bought wire for the front, made a door out of left over plywood, bought paint at a stupid low price, etc

that's it for my advice. peace
Peace to you also Morb Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes from one of the flower flower power generation types etc  Smile  Smile. Hopefully Fly Away here now bounce bounce will find/get  some good ideas from your thoughts above etc Smile  Smile. cheers

I did. Thanks to all of you Smile
Back to top Go down
morb
Chipping
Chipping
morb

PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 4:42 pm

FlyAwayHome wrote:

I think it'll do nicely, but I haven't had the chance to try it out yet.

that's good, make sure to put up some pics when you have it occupied
Back to top Go down
FlyAwayHome
Chipping
Chipping
FlyAwayHome

PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 4:51 pm

morb wrote:
FlyAwayHome wrote:

I think it'll do nicely, but I haven't had the chance to try it out yet.

that's good, make sure to put up some pics when you have it occupied

I'll do that! Smile
Back to top Go down
morb
Chipping
Chipping
morb

PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 8:35 pm

here's a couple pics of my nest  boxes that were built a long time ago. everything but wire and hinges were free from scavenged wood.
that's the cock taking his turn on the nest, got 3 out of 9 pairs on eggs

Nest Box... - Page 2 Nest110
Nest Box... - Page 2 Nest210
Nest Box... - Page 2 Nest310
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 8:45 pm

nice tidy boxes there morb, nice size for them too, plenty of room..........your pigeons look in excellent condition cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
morb
Chipping
Chipping
morb

PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 8:54 pm

thanks david, i'm very happy with the birds condition. it's amazing how nice they are coming out of winter, i'm sure the cold winter weather does them good
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 9:15 pm

nice tight feathers, they look like an oil painting......however you are looking after them, your doing it right cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
morb
Chipping
Chipping
morb

PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 9:30 pm

could be the camera on the phone as i used my phone to take the pics not near the quality pics of my real camera.
the pair in that pic were always the first ones home last year on all the tosses up tp 100 miles
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 9:42 pm

Nice looking birds morb and the nest boxes as dave said a good size what are the two in the picture breed wise Sprint or distance
Back to top Go down
morb
Chipping
Chipping
morb

PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 9:59 pm

markevans wrote:
Nice looking birds morb and the nest boxes as dave said a good size what are the two in the picture breed wise Sprint or distance

i never pushed them over 100 miles but they way they performed i'm going to say sprinters. i have a few long distance type birds that i'm going to push hard this year and see who makes it to the breeding loft.

all my birds that i had before were killed by raccoons a couple years ago, i had a really nice line going there then gone overnight. a friend of mine helped me and gave some very nice birds with good breeding, he does quite well in the one loft races he sends to so i have been starting over. i was quite happy with last years birds that i have been developing over the last 2 years or so, time to start sending them to the one lofters and see what i've got
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 10:23 pm

Will agree with Mark nice pair and the nest boxes are a great size too
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 10:35 pm

Flyaway,

I am a little puzzled.

I know it is not usually acceptable to ask a ladies age but you appear articulate enough to be well into your teens or over.

|You also have horses, plural, so must be conversant with the care of animals.

To keep a horse in our country is very expensive with the basics not to mention vet fees etc;

I would not have a clue what the needs of a horse was, I know the ones I used to back could have been better prepared.

To keep racing pigeons is also a 365 day year round commitment and they have their problems like all animals and it is always a great delight when a new young person becomes involved, although it should be a long term commitment and not a passing fancy.

There are numerous ways for you to gain the knowledge required regarding the upkeep of our feathered friends and a lot will be self contradictory, as there are more contradictions in our sport than any other, but that is what makes it so interesting and there is no animal more interesting than a racing pigeon.

Do not worry about fancy nest bowls or anything else, fancy, just ensure the pigeons have ample space and they will nest where they feel happiest and it is usually not where man thinks, along with all their feeding needs, some present day fanciers have attempted to make a very simple sport as complicated as possible for financial reasons with no regard for the pigeon.

If you settle the birds and give them their freedom they will repay you a hundred fold.

And good luck.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
morb
Chipping
Chipping
morb

PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 1:03 am

misty
I had this long explanation for you about keeping horses on the prairies but my post was lost when I sent it, so i'll give you the reader's digest version lol

almost bit of pasture land has horses or cattle on it. most people who have horses have more than one, we have 2 horses ourselves and have them on our property so no boarding fees. i buy round hay bales twice a year only ever had the vet out twice for injuries, most horses around here anyway go bare foot so no shoes to buy so only regular trimming is needed. long and short it depends on how fancy you want to get and how much you can afford.
of course those who ride the circuit are spending much more than the average horse owner.

as for her being articulate, she's a prairie girl I wouldn't expect anything less Smile
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 1:05 am

"Flyaway,

I am a little puzzled.

I know it is not usually acceptable to ask a ladies age but you appear articulate enough to be well into your teens or over.

|You also have horses, plural, so must be conversant with the care of animals."
Folks I posted something long those lines few weeks Post was deleted I beleive. Post was this or similar. I do not beleive it is a 12 year old girl. It is an adult. Could be a cop looking for on line looking for the usual. Older folks interested in young females. This post delete if not applicable. My instincts. Too much knowledge that should not be there. Did not answer friend request. How many recieved one? Nah. Does not add up. If I am wrong so be it.
Back to top Go down
morb
Chipping
Chipping
morb

PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 1:13 am

halcanada wrote:
"Flyaway,
Folks I posted something long those lines few weeks Post was deleted I beleive. Post was this or similar. I do not beleive it is a 12 year old girl. It is an adult. Could be a cop looking for on line looking for the usual. Older folks interested in young females. This post delete if not applicable. My instincts. Too much knowledge that should not be there. Did not answer friend request. How many recieved one? Nah. Does not add up. If I am wrong so be it.

no friend request here, wouldn't know if i got one anyway lol. as far as the rest of it ummm i got nuthin
Back to top Go down
halcanada
Youngbird
Youngbird
halcanada

PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 1:20 am

Understand.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 2:57 am

just the job them boxes morb ....nice job the birds look happy and content and in super condition...credit where its due Wink
Back to top Go down
morb
Chipping
Chipping
morb

PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 3:02 am

oldstrain wrote:
just the job them boxes morb ....nice job the birds look happy and content and in super condition...credit where its due Wink

thanks, appreciate the comment
Back to top Go down
FlyAwayHome
Chipping
Chipping
FlyAwayHome

PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 3:21 am

halcanada wrote:
"Flyaway,

I am a little puzzled.

Dang it. Y'all just aren't going to believe me, are you?? For the record, the only other person I sent a friend request is Knackered as he seems to believe me and he's been a good friend from the start. I know I sent you one too, in the beginning, but I took it back when it seemed you didn't want to be friends. About all the 'knowledge that shouldn't be there'... I don't have many friends so I spend more time learning and reading. I guess I'm just a more reserved type of person... depression, socially awkward, anxiety... you know, there are a lot of things that keep me from being a 'normal' kid, and, btw, I'm not looking for 'sympathy' or anything, I'm just putting it out there as it bothers me big time that y'all don't believe me. Many people have said that I'm 'old' for my age but I don't see myself as that different from other kids my age. Perhaps the older generation can't except that kids nowadays may be 'older' than they used to be?? (no offense meant, honestly) I'm not looking for a fight, but you've started one by doubting me, even if i can understand it, and... you know, I really didn't want this, but heck, whatever. Maybe we could just keep personal stuff out of our conversations from now on and just stick to pigeon talk... stuff I need to learn about as I really am interested in pigeons. And I do honestly think y'all are nice, but... maybe we just shouldn't talk or somethin. I can't change what you think of me, even though I really wish I could

And, heck, if anyone wants to delete this post as I do admit I may have been a little aggressive go ahead. I guess it doesn't really matter after all, and maybe it is for the best.

sorry

ETA: I realize I said 'yall' a lot, but I'm not lookin to target anyone else
Back to top Go down
FlyAwayHome
Chipping
Chipping
FlyAwayHome

PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 3:24 am

morb wrote:
here's a couple pics of my nest  boxes that were built a long time ago. everything but wire and hinges were free from scavenged wood.
that's the cock taking his turn on the nest, got 3 out of 9 pairs on eggs

Nest Box... - Page 2 Nest110
Nest Box... - Page 2 Nest210
Nest Box... - Page 2 Nest310

Those look really good!
Back to top Go down
FlyAwayHome
Chipping
Chipping
FlyAwayHome

PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 3:26 am

MISTY wrote:
Flyaway,

I am a little puzzled.

|You also have horses, plural, so must be conversant with the care of animals.

To keep a horse in our country is very expensive with the basics not to mention vet fees etc;

I would not have a clue what the needs of a horse was, I know the ones I used to back could have been better prepared.

To keep racing pigeons is also a 365 day year round commitment and they have their problems like all animals and it is always a great delight when a new young person becomes involved, although it should be a long term commitment and not a passing fancy.

There are numerous ways for you to gain the knowledge required regarding the upkeep of our feathered friends and a lot will be self contradictory, as there are more contradictions in our sport than any other, but that is what makes it so interesting and there is no animal more interesting than a racing pigeon.

Do not worry  about fancy nest bowls or anything else, fancy, just ensure the pigeons have ample space and they will nest where they feel happiest and it is usually not where man thinks, along  with all their feeding needs, some present day fanciers have attempted to make a very simple sport as complicated as possible for financial reasons with no regard for the pigeon.

If you settle  the birds and give them their freedom they will repay you a hundred fold.

And good luck.

Regards.

I'll answer your first statement by telling you that I am twelve years old... even though that has been doubted. The rest has been answered quite well by morb. Thank you for your suggestions and your good wishes. I'll need the luck

Cheers
Back to top Go down
morb
Chipping
Chipping
morb

PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 3:27 am

FlyAwayHome wrote:
halcanada wrote:
"Flyaway,

I am a little puzzled.

Dang it. Y'all just aren't going to believe me, are you?? For the record, the only other person I sent a friend request is Knackered as he seems to believe me and he's been a good friend from the start. I know I sent you one too, in the beginning, but I took it back when it seemed you didn't want to be friends. About all the 'knowledge that shouldn't be there'... I don't have many friends so I spend more time learning and reading. I guess I'm just a more reserved type of person... depression, socially awkward, anxiety... you know, there are a lot of things that keep me from being a 'normal' kid, and, btw, I'm not looking for 'sympathy' or anything, I'm just putting it out there as it bothers me big time that y'all don't believe me. Many people have said that I'm 'old' for my age but I don't see myself as that different from other kids my age. Perhaps the older generation can't except that kids nowadays may be 'older' than they used to be?? (no offense meant, honestly) I'm not looking for a fight, but you've started one by doubting me, even if i can understand it, and... you know, I really didn't want this, but heck, whatever. Maybe we could just keep personal stuff out of our conversations from now on and just stick to pigeon talk... stuff I need to learn about as I really am interested in pigeons. And I do honestly think y'all are nice, but... maybe we just shouldn't talk or somethin. I can't change what you think of me, even though I really wish I could

And, heck, if anyone wants to delete this post as I do admit I may have been a little aggressive go ahead. I guess it doesn't really matter after all, and maybe it is for the best.

sorry

don't let 'em get to you kiddo, just keep on keepin on
Back to top Go down
FlyAwayHome
Chipping
Chipping
FlyAwayHome

PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 3:28 am

morb wrote:
misty
I had this long explanation for you about keeping horses on the prairies but my post was lost when I sent it, so i'll give you the reader's digest version lol

almost bit of pasture land has horses or cattle on it. most people who have horses have more than one, we have 2 horses ourselves and have them on our property so no boarding fees. i buy round hay bales twice a year only ever had the vet out twice for injuries, most horses around here anyway go bare foot so no shoes to buy so only regular trimming is needed. long and short it depends on how fancy you want to get and how much you can afford.
of course those who ride the circuit are spending much more than the average horse owner.

as for her being articulate, she's a prairie girl I wouldn't expect anything less Smile

Thanks for explaining for me morb. Everything you said applies perfectly to me
Back to top Go down
FlyAwayHome
Chipping
Chipping
FlyAwayHome

PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 3:31 am

morb wrote:
FlyAwayHome wrote:
halcanada wrote:
"Flyaway,

I am a little puzzled.

sorry

don't let 'em get to you kiddo, just keep on keepin on

Thank you morb. You're a regular fellow (I think you should understand what some mightn't, by what I've read of your posts)
Back to top Go down
morb
Chipping
Chipping
morb

PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 3:32 am

FlyAwayHome wrote:

Thanks for explaining for me morb. Everything you said applies perfectly to me

no worries, those who don't live in this part of the world don't understand. alberta and Saskatchewan are vey similar in mind i think
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nest Box...   Nest Box... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Nest Box...
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next