Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Darkning system for OB Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 3:34 pm

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Darkning system for OB Emptyby David Today at 12:38 pm

» Good Morning
Darkning system for OB Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 11:19 am

» Scandalous .......
Darkning system for OB Emptyby David Today at 9:41 am

» Weather today
Darkning system for OB Emptyby David Today at 9:30 am

» Morgan's new job
Darkning system for OB Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:43 pm

» Another find
Darkning system for OB Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» birds on loan
Darkning system for OB Emptyby oldstrain Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Garlic .......
Darkning system for OB Emptyby Knackered Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:07 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Darkning system for OB 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 46 users online :: 3 Registered, 0 Hidden and 43 Guests :: 2 Bots

barnie, David, George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Darkning system for OB Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Darkning system for OB Vote_lcapDarkning system for OB Voting_barDarkning system for OB Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Darkning system for OB Vote_lcapDarkning system for OB Voting_barDarkning system for OB Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222568 messages in 13998 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Darkning system for OB Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Darkning system for OB Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Darkning system for OB

Go down 
+3
Knackered
halcanada80
tanveerhbaig
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
tanveerhbaig
Chipping
Chipping
tanveerhbaig

Darkning system for OB Empty
PostSubject: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB EmptyWed Jan 29, 2020 5:44 pm

Hi,
I have studied darkening system for young birds, how it impact body feather molt. But i don't know how it impacts old birds. Does it effect same for OB or OB has different behavior ?

as with the lightening system ( increase sunlight environment ) impact to start flight feather molt, does this system impact OB and YB both same way or differently ?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://www.pakpipa.com
halcanada80
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB EmptyWed Jan 29, 2020 6:27 pm

Not sure. To stop OB's moulting the best way is to mate them.
Young birds leave as is until longest day of year. Then put lights on for the hours of the longest day. After racing they moult fast.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB EmptyWed Jan 29, 2020 9:26 pm

tanveerhbaig wrote:
Hi,
I have studied darkening system for young birds, how it impact body feather molt. But i don't know how it impacts old birds. Does it effect same for OB or OB has different behavior ?

as with the lightening system ( increase sunlight environment ) impact to start flight feather molt, does this system impact OB and YB both same way or differently ?

Thanks
First question  I would ask Tanveer Smile Smile is what you hope to achieve by doing such a thing etc. Anything thing of an unnatural nature is unnatural for me I'm  affraid from my perspective Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes if that makes sense in a pigeon sense. Seen people here play around with it, but come the end of the day bounce bounce no better or worse on average than those just sticking to the normal type ways in the end, come race day. cheers flower afro
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB EmptyThu Jan 30, 2020 10:38 am

I am with you on this one Knackered.

Interfere with nature at your peril, maybe short term gain may mean long term problems.

Think many of the sports problems have arisen by doing so.

The commercial boys and some fanciers all with ulterior motives will do anything to obtain their aims to the detriment of both the pigeon and the sport.

Proven time and time again you can have success by treating the pigeons in the most natural way.

Nothing better than letting nature call the tune and in particular in the long run.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
tanveerhbaig
Chipping
Chipping
tanveerhbaig

PostSubject: Re: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB EmptyThu Jan 30, 2020 11:28 am

Knackered , my only objective is to understand this system with age group. I live in Pakistan and as per our race schedule , I might need to do it for now and natural is the way good for us. but may be in future , I might need it. So asking question to take opinion about these systems to help me better understand how it works.

I do agree with you and Misty that natural is best way. I read on many sites that darkening system caused or can cause young bird loss. we manipulate with body clock of birds with these systems , so it can impact health too Surprised

Knackered wrote:
tanveerhbaig wrote:
Hi,

Thanks
First question  I would ask Tanveer Smile Smile is what you hope to achieve by doing such a thing etc. Anything thing of an unnatural nature is unnatural for me I'm  affraid from my perspective Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes if that makes sense in a pigeon sense. Seen people here play around with it, but come the end of the day bounce bounce no better or worse on average than those just sticking to the normal type ways in the end, come race day. cheers flower afro
Back to top Go down
http://www.pakpipa.com
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB EmptyThu Jan 30, 2020 1:38 pm

darkening young birds is to force them to moult, by tricking them its winter .........hence they will be like yearlings when racing starts.

darkening in my opinion not only forces them to look like yearlings, it also seems to make them mature quicker and behave like yearlings .
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB EmptyThu Jan 30, 2020 9:08 pm

tanveerhbaig wrote:
Knackered , my only objective is to understand this system with age group. I live in Pakistan and as per our race schedule , I might need to do it for now and natural is the way good for us. but may be in future , I might need it. So asking question to take opinion about these systems to help me better understand how it works.

I do agree with you and Misty that natural is best way. I read on many sites that darkening system caused or can cause young bird loss. we manipulate with body clock of birds with these systems , so it can impact health too  Surprised

Knackered wrote:
tanveerhbaig wrote:
Hi,

Thanks
OK Smile Smile nothing wrong in having a curious type mind/nature etc Tanveer Wink Wink sort of keeps the brain ticking over I suggest Very Happy Very Happy. cheers flower afro
Back to top Go down
halcanada80
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB EmptyFri Jan 31, 2020 2:17 pm

Yes David. True. Why the million dollar race and other one lofters do it.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB EmptyFri Jan 31, 2020 4:58 pm

The problem is with inter fearing with nature in any form is asking for trouble

Anyone who thinks the Widowhood and Darkness systems along with all the other
anti nature activities has not had a detrimental overall effect on our feathered friends are deluded.

It is only since fanciers started experimenting with all the fads that their overall health has now become such that there are very few pigeons that do not need propping up, health wise.

It is also nonsense that the darkness youngsters are unbeatable, the OLR use the system because it ensures that those left for the final race will all be in the same state of moult, if they did not many would be considered ( by many too wrong in the moult to go) which is also wrong, I won with young birds in all kinds of moult stages, most are won today by darkness youngsters because most use it.

As fanciers go against nature so will the sports problems increase.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB EmptyFri Jan 31, 2020 5:51 pm

What a great, sensible and very truthful post Misty. 100% right. Bottles or packets won't produce winners... Will only have a detrimental effect further down the line.
Only healthy and conditioned pigeons win the most wanted races to win too.... from the shortest to the longest races. Paper bag winners are two a penny.
Bits of paper don't fly. Nor guarantee good pigeons, let alone winners.
Will argue that it takes 3-4 years to set up a good loft... 2 years to see where one is going.
Will wager that some pigeon are great flyers, and never bred a pigeon worth a jot. 'Homers' breed greats. Culls can breed winners.
Stef Van Reet used to just hold a pigeon to buy, and likewise when mating. Beusseart could relate to forms of given pigeon. Some mate by the eye, 'Corn to earth'!

Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB EmptyFri Jan 31, 2020 10:22 pm

Daz wrote:
What a great, sensible and very truthful post Misty. 100% right. Bottles or packets won't produce winners... Will only have a detrimental effect further down the line.
Only healthy and conditioned pigeons win the most wanted races to win too.... from the shortest to the longest races. Paper bag winners are two a penny.
Bits of paper don't fly. Nor guarantee good pigeons, let alone winners.
Will argue that it takes 3-4 years to set up a good loft... 2 years to see where one is going.
Will wager that some pigeon are great flyers, and never bred a pigeon worth a jot.  'Homers' breed greats. Culls can breed winners.
Stef Van Reet used to just hold a pigeon to buy, and likewise when mating. Beusseart could relate to forms of given pigeon. Some mate by the eye, 'Corn to earth'!

True Neutral Neutral But Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes few are listening to what Misty suggests these day I suspect unfortunately Daz  Smile  Smile . Spin & bling & all that scenario etc bounce bounce. Knew an icon Wink Wink in a local sense, had 3 pigeons that set him alight at the distance. 1 was a champion hen in a smash 500 mile race which bred no end of breeders in different lofts as such. 2nd one Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad was that slow on race day you would weep in despair & actually flew till he was 6 years old to 2 different loft locations because of his trait in being slow & steady come what ever & for what I remember was a half brother to the first one mentioned & where she was small & neat in size, he was as big as a chook lol! lol! lol!. 3rd one Smile Smile was a lovely red pied in nature, win a show type etc bounce bounce but was as dumb as horse sh**e Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes to a degree, as one day we both went 50 odd miles to pick her up when she was reported down by the seaside here Smile Smile. So now lol! lol! lol! one was called the Bourke hen Wink Wink one was called the Big bar Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes a cock & last but not least bounce bounce one was called the Red pied hen  Wink  Wink Very Happy Very Happy. cheers flower afro
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB EmptySat Feb 01, 2020 11:50 am

Was in Canada when Oscar explained that the Dark system works the same for old birds … as does the 'Light' system.
Personally feel too much muddling about and not, in reality, a shred of prove- as most things in pigeons - that results are better than would have been on the natural. Just that many good fancier have such systems. Same fancier would still be at the top of the ladder id going back to the systems of the 50's/6o's or before.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB EmptySat Feb 01, 2020 12:33 pm

Of course they would Daz, and the pigeons far healthier and perform into their teens at times.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB EmptySat Feb 01, 2020 5:50 pm

Daz wrote:
Was in Canada when Oscar explained that the Dark system works the same for old birds … as does the 'Light' system.
Personally feel too much muddling about and not, in reality, a shred of prove- as most things in pigeons - that results are better than would have been on the natural. Just that many good fancier have such systems. Same fancier would still be at the top of the ladder id going back to the systems of the 50's/6o's or before.
True Wink Wink everyone thinks (most anyway, maybe) that every man & his dog these days ïn a pigeon sense has a computer/mobile phone & is a face book wizard, buys all the latest magic type potions, has the latest of fashion type strains & methods bounce bounce & buys every book under the sun to gain success come race day & will visit a Vet on a regular type basis for advise. But actually Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes it's a total load of utter bollocks from my perspective Wink Wink on average. cheers
Back to top Go down
halcanada80
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB EmptySat Feb 01, 2020 7:55 pm

As I stated before, one loft races usually use the dark system.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB EmptySat Feb 01, 2020 11:29 pm

halcanada80 wrote:
As I stated before, one loft races usually use the dark system.
Well Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes thats a wee bit of a problem I suspect Hal Smile Smile if one looks at the South African type race we all know well & what's happened with it in the past & what actually is happening there now as I speak Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
halcanada80
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB EmptySun Feb 02, 2020 3:41 pm

Supposed to put all birds on equal footing. However many ways to cheat the system prior to sending the young. Age etc,.
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB EmptySun Feb 02, 2020 6:36 pm

Now, as must know, maybe some don't, many, say like the German fanciers (And others) send youngster having already flown the y/b's in club races etc.

Mind talking of most 'One loft'.
The S. African had a disaster eh!

Not very good returns in the South Africa million dollar pigeon race.
1548 birds basketed 296 returned. Only 3 on the day from 373 mile.
https://www.samdpr.c...resultList/MDPR
Back to top Go down
halcanada80
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB EmptySun Feb 02, 2020 8:14 pm

I did not know that!! Will look. Money auction for those birds!! Thanks for the info!
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB EmptySun Feb 02, 2020 8:49 pm

Been going on for years Daz.

Getting rid of rubbish instead of culling.

As for the African race, the Darkness System did not do them much good.

Regards,
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB EmptySun Feb 02, 2020 10:02 pm

MISTY wrote:
Been going on for years Daz.

Getting rid of rubbish instead of culling.

As for the African race, the Darkness System did not do them much good.

Regards,
Smile Smile Maybe ?????????????????????? worked for the winner there etc Misty Smile Smile but for the rest I suspect bounce bounce it had minimal effect in the big picture/long run. Darkness/light/widowhood/mated/perch means nothing in the end as such as it's just a money type race for a few fortunate types on average & the welfare of the pigeons doesn't even come into the equation come the end of the day from my perspective. cheers flower afro
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB EmptyMon Feb 03, 2020 6:08 pm

tanveerhbaig wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

it does not work in the same way as the old birds have already wintered ...you can put hens in with darkie ybs and they dont moult ...would be a waiste of time anyway theres nothing whatsoever to acieve from it in my opinion atb
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB EmptyTue Feb 04, 2020 12:50 am

oldstrain wrote:
tanveerhbaig wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

it does not work in the same way as the old birds have already wintered ...you can put hens in with darkie ybs and they dont moult ...would be a waiste of time anyway theres nothing whatsoever to acieve from it in my opinion atb
Know nothing about Tanveer's cycle of weather patterns in a local sense & when & how it may just effect his racing circle, come race day etc O/S Smile Smile. Here as an example Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes little to be gained playing around on average playing around bounce bounce  & trying to get a fast moult over & done with type of thing before racing. Now  lol!  lol!  lol! saw some one on another site  Wink  Wink jumping up & down saying what happened with the South Africian race was cruel, because of the distance factor all being young bird types there. Nearly  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  lol!  lol!  lol! posted a reply etc & said  bounce  bounce he was talking through his **** some what, as we are rather fond of sending late breds down here  Smile  Smile who hardly have dropped a flight as such 600 odd miles for the sheer enjoyment factor  Smile  Smile. End of the story, it's not the distance factor that's a killer  bounce  bounce its the management & training before hand that makes the race a total & utter disgrace of a race from my perspective  Wink  Wink.   cheers flower afro
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB EmptyTue Feb 04, 2020 11:46 am

Well, I believe nothing is better than fit, healthy and conditioned pigeons flown natural.
They are allowed to gain confidence in a safe environment, where the birds can easily trap if needs be.
Allowed a contented, stress-free life where they gain a natural love and which builds a protective desire to their, Perch and later nest box, Secretary, of two clubs, Stuart, 18 months ago what and where the birds came on what system. Darkness, etc., against natural.
He was mildly surprised but knew what the result would be. Though not the distance between First 'Winners; In the Top Five.

Winners Natural. Top Five: Natural about 3 to two. Top Ten Natural 7+ to 3.
Another thing we debate are Breaking points... One minute decides that they help. Next debate 'no use at all'.
Then the big one. Stuart flies both North and South, Different lofts. The one at home the other up the field.
South Rd he trains 2-3 times a week. Could only go one-way time-wise. He fairs O.k South Rd. Nothing to set the page alight.
Does very well North just sending races. Stu has always had an open loft up the field.
End of last year put another loft from his home up the field. No training. Did more than do well both Roads.
This year he will do - like I always did - send any either Road.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB EmptyTue Feb 04, 2020 11:27 pm

Daz wrote:
Well, I believe nothing is better than fit, healthy and conditioned pigeons flown natural.
They are allowed to gain confidence in a safe environment, where the birds can easily trap if needs be.
Allowed a contented, stress-free life where they gain a natural love and which builds a protective desire to their, Perch and later nest box, Secretary, of two clubs,  Stuart, 18 months ago what and where the birds came on what system. Darkness, etc., against natural.
He was mildly surprised but knew what the result would be. Though not the distance between First 'Winners; In the Top Five.

Winners Natural. Top Five: Natural about 3 to two. Top Ten Natural  7+ to 3.
Another thing we debate are Breaking points... One minute decides that they help. Next debate 'no use at all'.
Then the big one. Stuart flies both North and South, Different lofts. The one at home the other up the field.
South Rd he trains 2-3 times a week. Could only go one-way time-wise. He fairs O.k South Rd. Nothing to set the page alight.
Does very well North just sending races. Stu has always had an open loft up the field.
End of last year put another loft from his home up the field. No training. Did more than do well both Roads.
This year he will do - like I always did - send any either Road.
Bit simple Wink Wink that first line of yours etc Daz Smile Smile even thou true Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Very Happy Very Happy I suggest. Now as mentioned before, many down here fly 4/5 lines on a roundabout type system every year changing directions & may even toss every direction under the sun to boot to take the boredom factor out of going to the same toss point over & over. People talk about pigeons picking out some item as a marker to home, which is true to a degree but only for the last 100 miles maybe. Get into the distance scenario thou & all you have mentioned comes into play from my perspective & for what I have seen in a local sense  Smile  Smile. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Darkning system for OB   Darkning system for OB Empty

Back to top Go down

Darkning system for OB
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next