Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
natural use of elderberies Emptyby David Yesterday at 9:16 pm

» Good Morning
natural use of elderberies Emptyby David Yesterday at 2:48 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
natural use of elderberies Emptyby David Yesterday at 1:35 pm

» APHA Forms .......
natural use of elderberies Emptyby David Fri May 17, 2024 11:38 am

» come join us
natural use of elderberies Emptyby David Thu May 16, 2024 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
natural use of elderberies Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
natural use of elderberies Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
natural use of elderberies Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
natural use of elderberies Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) natural use of elderberies 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 15 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 15 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.natural use of elderberies Resise10
Top posting users this week
No user
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1298 registered users
The newest registered user is Marcdvc11

Our users have posted a total of 222884 messages in 14007 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
natural use of elderberies Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
natural use of elderberies Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
natural use of elderberies Vote_lcapnatural use of elderberies Voting_barnatural use of elderberies Vote_rcap 
oldstrain
natural use of elderberies Vote_lcapnatural use of elderberies Voting_barnatural use of elderberies Vote_rcap 
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

natural use of elderberies

Go down 
+6
Chad
steve b
Don Webb
chris perry
wraggy
birdy2011
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
birdy2011
Oldbird
Oldbird
birdy2011

natural use of elderberies Empty
PostSubject: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 3:41 pm

Noticed the article on elderberries; had a discussion on another site just a few days ago. Rather than starting from scratch I'll copy my response on the other site re elderberries:
FOUND THIS ON MY SURFINF TRAVELS

My experience with the use of elderberries has been positive.I had never had young

bird sickness in my loft till 2001, when I raced in a new location. After the first YB race my birds came down with the disease, which they likely picked up during transit. The stress of being in the trailer for the first time may have contributed to that also.
Since it is a viral problem I figured antibiotics would be useless. I had read about the properties of elderberries so I decided to forego the use of antibiotics and go the elderberry route. I found elderberry tea in one of the healthfood stores and started using that right away. During that week I found an elderberry tree full of berries. I picked as many berries as I could and also picked some leaves. The following day I used the fresh berries to prepare the tea. I used 2 tablespoons of berries, crushed these and added one litre of hot water. This was steeped overnight and used in the drinkers the following day. I used this tea for a full 2 weeks. In the meantime the YB seemed to get back into their normal form and after the 2 weeks the results were excellent again, in fact by the end of the season they managed to earn the club champion loft.
I continued to use the elderberry tea for the YB two days weekly till the end of the YB racing season. Never used any antibiotics during the entire YB season.
by the way, I added 1 tbspn of crushed dried elderberry leaves to the mixture after the initial 2 week period for the 2 day treatment. The elderberries I did not use during the first week I put in the freezer and used these as I needed the
Back to top Go down
wraggy
Hatchling
Hatchling
wraggy

PostSubject: Re: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 3:48 pm

i use the elderberies tea but i put a few more things in the tea like garlic powder yeast nettles dandylion ive used this lastyear my birds won young bird averages il be usen it this year hope it works again
Back to top Go down
birdy2011
Oldbird
Oldbird
birdy2011

PostSubject: Re: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 4:03 pm

WELL IF IT WORKS ROB KEEP TO IT MATE WELL DONE
Back to top Go down
chris perry
Hatchling
Hatchling
chris perry

PostSubject: Re: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 4:10 pm

i know someone who collects elderberries and makes ice cubes out of them an drops em into the drinkers,

if you watch the nature in the garden the wild wood pigeons are all over the elderberries , they have to survive the winter months , mother nature knows whats good for them.
Back to top Go down
birdy2011
Oldbird
Oldbird
birdy2011

PostSubject: Re: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 4:45 pm

YOUR RIGHT CHRIS WE HAVE A TREE ON THE FRONT THE BIRDS STRIP IT YOU CAN TELL THEY ROOST IN IT TO BLOODY RED PATH IN THE MORNINGS LOL
BUT THEY EAT THEM AS THE MUST GET SOME BENIFITS
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 9:45 pm

They are a good thing and alot of fanciers collect them and place them in the freezer just the make sure they have a continued supply

Place a handful within a saucepan of water bring the water to the boil then allow to simmer for 10 mins take of the boil then allow to cool down

Once the water has cooled down then seive the liquid into containers which you can then use as and when you need
Back to top Go down
birdy2011
Oldbird
Oldbird
birdy2011

PostSubject: Re: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 11:01 pm

i boiled 2 eggs last week well cremated um lol so what chance have i with a few berries
Back to top Go down
steve b
Hatchling
Hatchling
steve b

PostSubject: Re: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 11:14 pm

make them in to a syrup and freeze in ice cube trays (1 cube to a 4 pint drinker)
they are full of vitamin c
but always pick them when they are rip (if you see the birds feeding on them all of a sudden they will be rip to harvest)
and always boil them to remove the toxins from them
best to add sugar other wise they are quite bitter tasting
Back to top Go down
birdy2011
Oldbird
Oldbird
birdy2011

PostSubject: Re: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 11:16 pm

good info steve mother nature knows best as they say
Back to top Go down
steve b
Hatchling
Hatchling
steve b

PostSubject: Re: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 11:19 pm

yes when the birds were feeding on them it was a sign they were ready
i used to help a bloke when i was a lad
that used these for is birds in the late 70,s
Back to top Go down
steve b
Hatchling
Hatchling
steve b

PostSubject: Re: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 11:27 pm

he also collected rose hips
but carnt remember how he did them for the birds
but i do remember most of the rose hips went in his home brew
Back to top Go down
Chad
Hatchling
Hatchling
Chad

PostSubject: Re: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

what do the berries help?
are they helping as a natural antibiotic, for cures?
i can only find information talking about aiding imunity.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 7:11 pm

Chad wrote:
i have some here chad and elderberry is good for respiratory but have heard that they are good for young bird sickness maybe some of the other guys can clarify that as i use something else for that
Back to top Go down
steve b
Hatchling
Hatchling
steve b

PostSubject: Re: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 8:58 pm

no ybs about when i used to use them for the racers
i do still give them to the birds today
i try to always use natural remides these days
only thing i treat for has routine is half a canker tablet and a pmv jab when i part any young
elderberry is good for vitamin c among other things it is supposed to help the immune system
Back to top Go down
steve b
Hatchling
Hatchling
steve b

PostSubject: Re: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 9:02 pm

i carnt remember the last time i treat for worms or cocci
but i use all sorts of concoctions and remidies
to name a few cider vin,garlic,onion ,lemon,carrot,beetroot
i also use albus oil in the lofts
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 10:30 pm

oldstrain wrote:
Chad wrote:
i have some here chad and elderberry is good for respiratory but have heard that they are good for young bird sickness maybe some of the other guys can clarify that as i use something else for that

Mainly used for youngbird sickness mate
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 10:31 pm

steve b wrote:

Albus Oils you have no problem with blocked sinecies and no head cold then Steve b
Back to top Go down
steve b
Hatchling
Hatchling
steve b

PostSubject: Re: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 11:22 pm

no im clear as a bell
Back to top Go down
Chad
Hatchling
Hatchling
Chad

PostSubject: Re: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 11:44 pm

steve b wrote:
Cider vinegar for cocci.
Garlic for worms.
onion lemon carrot and beetroot for what?
Being my loft and ground are new to pidgeons I hope to maybe never use medicines. No sickness yet, I use cider vinegar 1 day a week vitimins/electrolites 1 day and just started garlic. Should I start a routine of anything else and does anybody suggest elderberry tea 1 day a week?
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 11:55 pm

chad use apple cider vinegar twice a week mate you could also give honey instead of electrolytes
Back to top Go down
Feral's-Loft
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 3:44 pm

i use nettle tea mate, plenty of iron in it for them
Back to top Go down
Feral's-Loft
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 3:48 pm

david, just noticed my avatar mate who did this, think ill leave it on i like it Razz cheers
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 5:51 pm

ok ill leave it for you feral, glad you like it.................. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 10:15 pm

Chad wrote:
steve b wrote:
Cider vinegar for cocci.
Garlic for worms.
onion lemon carrot and beetroot for what?
Being my loft and ground are new to pidgeons I hope to maybe never use medicines. No sickness yet, I use cider vinegar 1 day a week vitimins/electrolites 1 day and just started garlic. Should I start a routine of anything else and does anybody suggest elderberry tea 1 day a week?

Chad natural pure clear honey is very good mate and a lot cheaper than electrolities as this does the same by replacing the lost suger levels
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 10:19 pm

i usuall use honey 3 times a week chad, but this year ive decided to just use it when they return from a race (ybs), the rest of the week is just fresh clean water.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: natural use of elderberies   natural use of elderberies Empty

Back to top Go down

natural use of elderberies
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next