Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Lice Treatment Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 9:05 am

» Weather today
Lice Treatment Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:42 am

» King removes Patronage
Lice Treatment Emptyby David Yesterday at 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
Lice Treatment Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:25 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Lice Treatment Emptyby George & Morgan Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Lice Treatment Emptyby David Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm

» Scandalous .......
Lice Treatment Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
Lice Treatment Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
Lice Treatment Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Lice Treatment 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 103 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 102 Guests :: 2 Bots

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Lice Treatment Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Lice Treatment Vote_lcapLice Treatment Voting_barLice Treatment Vote_rcap 
David
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222765 messages in 14003 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Lice Treatment Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Lice Treatment Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Lice Treatment

Go down 
+8
Don Webb
daipigeon
Knackered
Rudderfett
David
oldstrain
skytx
Steve Leslie
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Steve Leslie
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 1:38 pm

Anybody know what are safe lice treatments to use on parent birds with small chicks in the nest . I have some Harkers Harka-Mectin spot treatment drops bur these cant be used on parents while babies are in the nest or on young birds until they are 6 weeks old.
Cheers Steve
Back to top Go down
skytx
Chipping
Chipping
skytx

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 2:41 pm

Google permetrin/pigeons
I use Permetrin Two spray
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 6:50 pm

dont use permetherin while ybs are in the nest ...just use salt and vinegar in the bath water ...permetherin is good for lice and mites but can be dangerous for ybs in the nest afterall its a chemical jmo i also use one spot but not when ybs are in the nest atb
Back to top Go down
Steve Leslie
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 7:29 pm

oldstrain wrote:
dont use permetherin while ybs are in the nest ...just use salt and vinegar in the bath water ...permetherin is good for lice and mites but can be dangerous for ybs in the nest afterall its a chemical jmo i also use one spot but not when ybs are in the nest atb
I put one desert spoon salt and 10m cider vinegar per litre in bath today . Is this dose strong enough?
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 7:52 pm

hi steve, i use salt and ordinary table vinegar in the bath water, i just guess and pour what i think in, i dont think it will harm them as long as its not too strong...... santa
Back to top Go down
Steve Leslie
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 8:04 pm

David wrote:
hi steve, i use salt and ordinary table vinegar in the bath water, i just guess and pour what i think in, i dont think it will harm them as long as its not too strong...... santa
Thanks for that David if they dont disappear I'll double the dose next time. Dont think it matters what vinegar you use, I used cider vinegar because my daughter has gallons of the stuff she uses it for her horses and I keep pinching it for the pigeons.
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 9:23 pm

I use a dust made from limestone I think its what they use on chickens 100% safe and natural, I put it in the nest bowls and over the straw so when the are sitting it goes on them and keeps the youngsters free from them too.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 9:33 pm

David wrote:

My mix is !!!!!!!!!!!
1 cup of pool salt
I/2 cup ordinary vinegar
1/2 cup of bleach
Capful of tea tree oil (mixed in warm water)
25 litres of water in my bath etc
Haven't killed any yet, Wink Wink ????????????? when they drink it lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 9:40 pm

Rudderfett wrote:
I use a dust made from limestone I think its what they use on chickens 100% safe and natural, I put it in the nest bowls and over the straw so when the are sitting it goes on them and keeps the youngsters free from them too.

yes i use diatoms around nest bowl great stuff
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 9:44 pm

Steve Leslie wrote:
David wrote:
Thanks for that David if they dont disappear I'll double the dose next time. Dont think it matters what vinegar you use, I used cider vinegar because my daughter has gallons of the stuff she uses it for her horses and I keep pinching it for the pigeons.

as david says vinegar wont harm them but go easy with the salt i put a clenched handfull in the bath but about 200 mil of vinegar for 10 litres
Back to top Go down
daipigeon
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 9:47 pm

I use permanganate of potash in the bath water, I also dip a beer mat in creosote and put under nest bowl, seems to work for me.
Back to top Go down
Rudderfett
Youngbird
Youngbird
Rudderfett

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 9:48 pm

Not sure about the bleach mate..there have been some very interesting posts when bleach gets mentioned, for me that would be madness to put bleach in the water, I dont give my pigeons anything I wouldnt eat or drink literally.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 9:51 pm

i agree martyn bleach aint for me either ...i tried the condys crystals dai but the birds would not go into the purple bath water Laughing
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 9:52 pm

Knackered wrote:
David wrote:

My mix is !!!!!!!!!!!
1 cup of pool salt
I/2 cup ordinary vinegar
1/2 cup of bleach

i agree with martyn, bleach is one of my dislikes as far as pigeons are concerned, bleach utensiles and rinse thoroughly by all means....but as for them drinking it NO !!! No JMO
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 10:15 pm

My mix is !!!!!!!!!!!
1 cup of pool salt
I/2 cup ordinary vinegar
1/2 cup of bleach
***** [/quote]

i agree with martyn, bleach is one of my dislikes as far as pigeons are concerned, bleach utensiles and rinse thoroughly by all means....but as for them drinking it NO !!! No JMO[/quote]

David & Martyn Smile Smile Smile lol! lol! lol! want to get the gloves out Wink Wink I will take you on (both at the same time) experience has taught me differant to what you both think I would say, many years ago.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 10:30 pm

hi knackered, why would you think bleach ( a corrosive) is safe for pigeons to drink ? as you may be aware bleach has either killed or seriously harmed small children who have drank it.......

if for instance your child was ill and your doctor told you to give him/her a mixture of bleach and water, what would you think.....? would you give it them ?
Back to top Go down
Steve Leslie
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 10:44 pm

David wrote:
hi knackered, why would you think bleach ( a corrosive) is safe for pigeons to drink ? as you may be aware bleach has either killed or seriously harmed small children who have drank it.......

if for instance your child was ill and your doctor told you to give him/her a mixture of bleach and water, what would you think.....? would you give it them ?

What's the difference between pool salt and ordinary salt and where do you get pool salt. People used to pay more money for sea salt for cooking until it was disclosed that it had exactly the same ingredients as ordinary salt. As for bleach its probably a good ingredient to add to bath water if your culling your pigeons. Maybe pigeons are cleverer than we give then credit for and can sense what not to drink but is ok to bathe in.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 11:00 pm

David wrote:

David !!!!!!!!!! Smile Embarassed I fully understand etc where your coming from on this topic. It is one of those topics which get's the hackles up with people. Has done so for 50 odd yrs that I know of etc.
You may have heard of an author in pigeons books called Wendell Levi (American) had a small stud Smile Smile 20,000 to 30,000 birds "just small fish"
One of his medicines/tonics was Muriatic acid (spirits of salts) any old plumber would know it Wink Wink 15/20mls to a bucket approximately.
So !!!!!!!!!! stop worrying etc & stay Cool & try both of the above. You might just be surprized in there benefits.
Word of warning, to the brave Smile Smile stick to 5mls each/bucket & you will be safe. *****
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 11:14 pm

if for instance your child was ill and your doctor told you to give him/her a mixture of bleach and water, what would you think.....? would you give it them ?[/quote]

What's the difference between pool salt and ordinary salt and where do you get pool salt. People used to pay more money for sea salt for cooking until it was disclosed that it had exactly the same ingredients as ordinary salt. As for bleach its probably a good ingredient to add to bath water if your culling your pigeons. Maybe pigeons are cleverer than we give then credit for and can sense what not to drink but is ok to bathe in.[/quote]

Steve !!!!!!!!!!!!! most probably no differance etc pool/human salt, except that it is bigger in size 1/4 inch type of thing on average. I buy mine at the local hardware store (Bunnings) Bigger than Levi's loft lol! lol! also we have special pool stores (swimming) they also stock it. $7 for 25kgs cheap as chips here, in my view.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 11:19 pm

plenty of guys give bleach or sterilising fluid in the water and it wont overly harm yer birds if given in the correct dose but i just wonder of the damage if given regular over a extended period of time ... Question
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 11:31 pm

bleach is a corrosive, which will rot what it comes into contact with ie the stomach, who knows what sort of damage it does to something as small as a pigeons organs...?
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 11:42 pm

David wrote:
bleach is a corrosive, which will rot what it comes into contact with ie the stomach, who knows what sort of damage it does to something as small as a pigeons organs...?

David, My love was distance racing 400/600miles. do you think now I would use bleach for 20 odd yrs etc, if I thought it was harmful "no way known".
PS Smile Smile I'm knackered completely lol! lol! here. I'm of to the races.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 11:45 pm

David wrote:

yes this is my thoughts it aint for me their are other things i would rather use than take the chance
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 11:51 pm

Knackered wrote:
David wrote:

David, My love was distance racing 400/600miles. do you think now I would use bleach for 20 odd yrs etc, if I thought it was harmful "no way known".
PS Smile Smile I'm knackered completely lol! lol! here. I'm of to the races.

lol! lol! lol! its always good to have a sensible discussion about different members ideas and theories knackered, even tho we all dont agree all of the time its interesting to hear other peoples point of view, each to their own i say, and i do believve you wouldnt intentially give bleach to your birds if you thought it would harm them....... No

even tho i dont like the idea of using bleach to be used in the drinking water, i`ll be interested in reading any of your other theories/ideas in the future.... Very Happy cheers
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 12:05 am

daipigeon wrote:
I use permanganate of potash in the bath water, I also dip a beer mat in creosote and put under nest bowl, seems to work for me.

Will agree with the creosote but was also tols to place a piece of felt under the bowl during breeding this would also help stop red mite
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lice Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lice Treatment   Lice Treatment Empty

Back to top Go down

Lice Treatment
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next