Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» King removes Patronage
Im new and need some tips - Page 2 Emptyby oldstrain Today at 11:04 am

» Good Morning
Im new and need some tips - Page 2 Emptyby oldstrain Today at 10:59 am

» Weather today
Im new and need some tips - Page 2 Emptyby David Yesterday at 9:16 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Im new and need some tips - Page 2 Emptyby David Yesterday at 1:35 pm

» APHA Forms .......
Im new and need some tips - Page 2 Emptyby David Fri May 17, 2024 11:38 am

» come join us
Im new and need some tips - Page 2 Emptyby David Thu May 16, 2024 10:21 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Im new and need some tips - Page 2 Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
Im new and need some tips - Page 2 Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Im new and need some tips - Page 2 Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Im new and need some tips - Page 2 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 22 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 21 Guests :: 1 Bot

George & Morgan

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Im new and need some tips - Page 2 Resise10
Top posting users this week
oldstrain
Im new and need some tips - Page 2 Vote_lcapIm new and need some tips - Page 2 Voting_barIm new and need some tips - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Im new and need some tips - Page 2 Vote_lcapIm new and need some tips - Page 2 Voting_barIm new and need some tips - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1298 registered users
The newest registered user is Marcdvc11

Our users have posted a total of 222887 messages in 14007 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Im new and need some tips - Page 2 Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Im new and need some tips - Page 2 Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Im new and need some tips

Go down 
+10
terryp
fletch
Don Webb
Knackered
oldstrain
friendsloft
richardpayne
David
EssexSteve
Gordon81
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Gordon81
Chipping
Chipping

Im new and need some tips - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im new and need some tips   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 2:49 pm

Hey, I've got 3 sheds ex garden sheds but there really big, 2 8x6 sheds have been converted into one big shed where the stock birds are breeding in at the moment but that's got a big aviary built on the side with plenty of ventilation. I have a brand new 10x8 for the young birds, I've fitted 2 air vents 1 at the bottom front and 1 at the back top for good circulation of air. I do under stand that garden sheds ain't the proper way to do it but funds cant stretch to that yet. soon as I can get a proper loft with slide doors ill have one because
I prefer the look and its much better and just looks more professional.

I just want to be able to keep good birds and look after them in a way they deserve. its a sport I've always been interested in, but its way more different from keeping tumblers & tipplers

Thanks gordon
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Im new and need some tips   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 3:24 pm

yes its much different to keeping tips and tumblers Gordon but the make up of the bird is the same ....don't worry about using a convert garden shed so long as the ventilation is correct ,birds will bond to any dwelling ,I have a garden shed convert and I just raised the whole roof by 50 mil put a vent in the centre at the bottom front but I close that vent from October until spring ...also I installed a sputnik which is a trap and where the birds enter the loft and this is enclosed in Perspex but can be opened up in the summer months for extra ventilation if needed and this is positioned on one of the windows of the shed
Back to top Go down
fletch
Hatchling
Hatchling
fletch

PostSubject: Re: Im new and need some tips   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 6:56 pm

hi gordon were u from, as i see u from midlands, maybe you could pop over and i could show you round our lofts and we could have a chat and i could give you some advice
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Im new and need some tips   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 7:06 pm

fletch wrote:
hi gordon were u from, as i see u from midlands, maybe you could pop over and i could show you round our lofts and  we could have a chat and i could give you some advice

Gordon if i was you take Lee up on the offer he is top quality fancier and if you live here in the midlands can give you an insight to the way things are within the area then you know what you are up against mate

If i was in your shoes i wouldent think twice mate
Back to top Go down
Gordon81
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: Im new and need some tips   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 7:07 pm

Thanks Oldstrain this info is very helpfull for me..

Fletch thanks for that offer id be greatful on that and would accept your offer I'm in Ashmore park just out side of Wednesfield, do u know it?

how long have u been racing fletch?
Back to top Go down
Gordon81
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: Im new and need some tips   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanks don i will take him up on that offer if its still open?

i just want to make sure i get a good start for me and for the birds.

Thanks guys you all been a great help
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Im new and need some tips   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 11:07 pm

Don Webb wrote:
fletch wrote:
hi gordon were u from, as i see u from midlands, maybe you could pop over and i could show you round our lofts and  we could have a chat and i could give you some advice
Gordon if i was you take Lee up on the offer he is top quality fancier and if you live here in the midlands can give you an insight to the way things are within the area then you know what you are up against mate

If i was in your shoes i wouldent think twice mate
Gordon !!!!! the offer by Lee/Fletch is a good one, if I was you I would start running now lol! lol! lol!  just in case, he changes his mind. cheers 
Back to top Go down
Gordon81
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: Im new and need some tips   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 11:13 pm

lol! i will take him up on his offer if its still open. im hoping to learn alot
Back to top Go down
Gordon81
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: Im new and need some tips   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 8:45 am

Good morning.

Lee if your about mate let me know..id love to take u up on your offer heard good things about you and i think i can learn alot from you. could be the start i really need

Thanks for all the help guys its being taken on board.

Gordon
Back to top Go down
Gordon81
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: Im new and need some tips   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 12:54 pm

When is the best time to take ybs away from parents?

what does it mean if one of your ybs just stand there all curled up but others are seeming normal?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
terryp
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: new starter   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 12:57 pm

hi gordon terryp here lots of lads on here to help you with birds ray peel is one of them hope its allright to mention you ray keep looking on site lots of good deals cheers terryp....
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Im new and need some tips   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 1:26 pm

Gordon81 wrote:
When is the best time to take ybs away from parents?

what does it mean if one of your ybs just stand there all curled up but others are seeming normal?

Thanks

hi gordon, i think a rough guide to weaning ybs would be between 26 to 30 days old, or basically when they are well covered under the wings and eating and drinking on their own.....
Back to top Go down
Gordon81
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: Im new and need some tips   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 2:04 pm

Ok thanks, I've got 5 eating and seem to be drinking on there own but one isn't doing anything but being curled up in the corner? could he be ill?

Thanks gordon
Back to top Go down
Gordon81
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: Im new and need some tips   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 2:08 pm

would they need any bedding on the floor through the summer or winter? god my heads banging so much to ask... I've been told my birds ain't up to scratch how would I know if there any good? after all isn't it the ybs that come from them that need to be any good?
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Im new and need some tips   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 2:19 pm

usually when a yb is hunched up its not a good sign gordon, try dipping its beak into the water because maybe it hasnt had a drink......altho if its still with the parents this probably wont be the case.....re the floor covering, some use straw for the yb seaction or some use the laysoft horse bedding , altho some just keep a clean scraped floor ......but i think for newly weaned ybs they are cosier with some sort of covering while they are very young.
Back to top Go down
Gordon81
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: Im new and need some tips   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 2:30 pm

ok thanks ill sort that out for them then and ill go and try the water thing now as i dont want him/her to get ill or even pass away.

Thanks Gordon
Back to top Go down
Gordon81
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: Im new and need some tips   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 2:52 pm

I've tried that and he/she wouldn't drink just pulled there head away.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Im new and need some tips   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 3:19 pm

is the yb eating gordon, and what are the droppings like ......watery or firm ?
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Im new and need some tips   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 3:29 pm

have a look down the ybs throat see if you can see owt like yellow nodules could be a number of things ...canker,cocci or bacterial....did the yb who is hunched up come from the same source as the healthy birds ? either way I would isolate the bird also have they been vaccinated as this will boost the ybs immune system after a few weeks atb
Back to top Go down
Gordon81
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: Im new and need some tips   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 3:37 pm

they havnt as yet i thought they would be to young Sad ive got too find where i can have it done and get it done asap.

David im not sure will keep a look out bit hard when there huddled together most time... if i take him away will it do more harm?
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Im new and need some tips   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 3:42 pm

if you take the bird away it means theres less chance of the others getting ill gordon......sometimes when one gets ill it can go through the lot of them if left.
Back to top Go down
Gordon81
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: Im new and need some tips   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 3:44 pm

ok ive just taken him away and but him in a box with food and water. i understand you and thank you david.
Gordon
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Im new and need some tips   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 3:48 pm

you can vaccinate from 4 weeks I think but I do mine at 6 weeks...I would be very suspicious if the unwell yb came from a different source to your other ybs good luck Gordon atb
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Im new and need some tips   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 4:35 pm

sometimes ybs do go backwards gordon, when being weaned or just before but this can happen to experience fanciers too ........ive usually found once they do go backwards they never really recover, but its worth trying.

if you have him in a cardboard box make sure some light comes in so he can see the food and water, altho he probably will knock the water over at some point...lol

is the yb going light/loosing weight ?
Back to top Go down
Gordon81
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: Im new and need some tips   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 4:42 pm

ok thanks.

hes very light and no weight to him at all Sad

is this something that just happens a force of nature or human error?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Im new and need some tips   Im new and need some tips - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Im new and need some tips
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next