Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Feeding Young Birds Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 2:06 am

» come join us
Feeding Young Birds Emptyby David Yesterday at 10:21 am

» Weather today
Feeding Young Birds Emptyby David Yesterday at 9:45 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Feeding Young Birds Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Feeding Young Birds Emptyby David Tue May 14, 2024 8:19 pm

» RPRA Partnerships
Feeding Young Birds Emptyby David Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 am

» BHW Subscriptions
Feeding Young Birds Emptyby David Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm

» King removes Patronage
Feeding Young Birds Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm

» escaped birds return
Feeding Young Birds Emptyby David Thu May 09, 2024 10:25 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Feeding Young Birds 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 18 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 18 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Feeding Young Birds Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Feeding Young Birds Vote_lcapFeeding Young Birds Voting_barFeeding Young Birds Vote_rcap 
David
Feeding Young Birds Vote_lcapFeeding Young Birds Voting_barFeeding Young Birds Vote_rcap 
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222847 messages in 14006 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Feeding Young Birds Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Feeding Young Birds Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Feeding Young Birds

Go down 
+5
Knackered
oldstrain
shippy
David
blueskylofts
9 posters
AuthorMessage
blueskylofts
Youngbird
Youngbird
blueskylofts

Feeding Young Birds Empty
PostSubject: Feeding Young Birds   Feeding Young Birds EmptyFri May 13, 2016 6:27 am

I read with interest David's posting re Cowoods v Versele Laga pigeon foods.

I was talking to a fiend of mine who lives in Belg' last night and he was telling me that quite a lot of the modern, up-to-date thinking racing people in The Netherlands are using "Growers Pellets" for Poultry. It is the kind that you would give to little chicks.

It has at least 8% Protein and is a properly balanced feed. The kind he has started using has NO additives or rubbish in it and he says that his young birds are doing REALLY well on it.

However, my friend said that the 'Way' you feed it, is very important. What he does, is the following:-

Give around 80% - 85% of your normal daily ration to the Y/B's in a trough (as you would normally do), when they have finished ALL that up, give them the 'Growers Pellets'. You can replace up to 20% of the diet with the growers pellets if you wish. But start them off with a low % at first.

Has anyone else heard of using growers pellets of chickens, for young pigeons? My fiend says that quite a lot of Belgium fanciers are using it now because they have seen the great results that the Dutch guys and girls have been getting.

As far as I can tell, the Dutch are leading the way as far as keeping and racing pigeons goes. I got some of my stock birds from a Dutch guy I know, and his methods seem to be far in advance of the Belgium's or us in the UK.

Interesting - what do you peeps think?

Phil (blueskylofts)

Back to top Go down
http://www.philongold.net
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Young Birds   Feeding Young Birds EmptyFri May 13, 2016 8:57 am

morning phil, yes ive given pellets when breeding.....ive used turkey pellets many years ago and the ybs were very big and healthy, ive also used chicken pellets a few years ago and the ybs were also nice and healthy, but I think I over did it with the amount because the loft stunk like an old chicken shed, and the droppings were a horrible brown colour.

for the last 2 to 3 years ive used the gem breeding mix, which contains g10 pellets already mixed so all I have to do is feed as normal and they get the right amount of pellets.....I do know some fanciers who feed a % of pellets all year round, mixed in with their normal feed.
Back to top Go down
shippy
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Young Birds   Feeding Young Birds EmptyFri May 13, 2016 9:25 am

the problem in the uk is the turkey and chicken grower pellets contain antibiotics saying that i have used 20% in my mixes without any obvious problems
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Young Birds   Feeding Young Birds EmptyFri May 13, 2016 9:52 am

we give the ybs 25% of their feed in the morning and that feed is 100% pellets g10 made by gem but the evening feed does not contain any ...the pellets are easily digested and feeding this way the
ybs never have a crop full of food and allways trap well ,you have to have control with ybs from the word go
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Young Birds   Feeding Young Birds EmptyFri May 13, 2016 10:53 am

shippy wrote:

the problem in the uk is the turkey and chicken grower pellets contain antibiotics saying that i have used 20% in my mixes without any obvious problems

I'm like you Shippy Smile Smile I don't have any problems using chicken layer/grower pellets when breeding etc at around 20%. I do tend to cut them back when racing thou to around 5%. Certain people use them at !00% for what I have read but one always should keep in mind what the birds are fed when away racing & thats always some thing that should be taking into consideration from my perspective. cheers
Back to top Go down
redrog
Youngbird
Youngbird
redrog

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Young Birds   Feeding Young Birds EmptyFri May 13, 2016 1:21 pm

yeah been using layers pellets since I started, cheap bag £6.95 contains no antibiotics and it doesn't seem to fill them up, comes in handy when first getting em out, soon as they up and going feed subliem and 25% pellets
Back to top Go down
caramel
Chipping
Chipping
caramel

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Young Birds   Feeding Young Birds EmptyFri May 13, 2016 9:43 pm

For growing I would have thought a higher protein than 8% would be needed.

Where would the nutrients to build muscle/flesh/body come from ?
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Young Birds   Feeding Young Birds EmptyFri May 13, 2016 9:47 pm

caramel wrote:

peas, beans...?
Back to top Go down
redrog
Youngbird
Youngbird
redrog

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Young Birds   Feeding Young Birds EmptySat May 14, 2016 9:30 am

David wrote:
caramel wrote:

peas, beans...?
yep whilst I feed pellets peas & beans in there main diet till they get flying, there is still a lot of goodness in the pellets for them tho if you believe what is on side of tin Smile
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Young Birds   Feeding Young Birds EmptySat May 14, 2016 10:16 am

redrog wrote:
David wrote:
caramel wrote:

peas, beans...?
 yep whilst I feed pellets peas & beans in there main diet till they get flying, there is still a lot of goodness in the pellets for them tho if you believe what is on side of tin Smile

All comes down to what one fancy's etc Smile Smile I suspect. Pigeon, chicken or turkey type pellets are a complete feed going on the experts as such in that field. Which at the end of the day can be a cheap way of feeding ones birds, especially if one finds one self in the non racing caterory & it just comes back to the mindset trick bounce bounce which at times can be an issue. cheers
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Young Birds   Feeding Young Birds EmptySat May 14, 2016 10:25 am

caramel wrote:

Not exactly sure Caramel  Smile  Smile  where the the 8% comes into the equation
etc here, but the pellets I use come in at around 15% & if thats good enough for a chicken lol! lol! lol! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes  it's good enough for me Wink Wink. cheers
Back to top Go down
shippy
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Young Birds   Feeding Young Birds EmptySat May 14, 2016 10:57 am

when you think about it the chicken pellet was made for a bird in a cage where everything the bird needs for a balanced diet must be contained in the pellet and obviously must have cost thousands of pounds in its making and a pigeons stomach works the same as a chicken so i think 20% of a pigeons diet would take no harm on pellets especially prisoner birds
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Young Birds   Feeding Young Birds EmptySun May 15, 2016 10:29 am

the pellets are very good to use if you get ybs holding corn get them on pellets for a few days easy to digest and a lot of nutrients
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Young Birds   Feeding Young Birds EmptySun May 15, 2016 11:05 am

oldstrain wrote:
the pellets are very good to use if you get ybs holding corn get them on pellets for a few days easy to digest and a lot of nutrients

Also O/S Smile Smile pellets can be made into a porridge etc if a bird is on death's door type of thing & then fed with a syringe down the throat, which can be a plus at times I've found. cheers
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Young Birds   Feeding Young Birds EmptyMon May 16, 2016 6:11 am

We use the pellets also for breeding.used to use g10 but turkey ones just as good in my eyes
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Young Birds   Feeding Young Birds EmptyMon May 16, 2016 11:25 am

peel bros wrote:
We use the pellets also for breeding.used to use g10 but turkey ones just as good in my eyes

Interesting Ray Smile Smile your thoughts on the turkey pellets etc. A mate of mine Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes not Wink Wink Dr Spock  bounce  bounce  wrote an article about one of his clients there that fed turkey pellets at 100%, thinking he was onto a good thing for his birds & sadly they all started to die. Maybe to much of a good thing in theory Wink Wink but not advisable in the long run. cheers
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Young Birds   Feeding Young Birds EmptyMon May 16, 2016 11:42 am

We only use small amounts for breeding
Back to top Go down
seanl
Youngbird
Youngbird

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Young Birds   Feeding Young Birds EmptyMon May 16, 2016 8:10 pm

use 50% super breeding 20% chicken layers pellets 10%fat seeds 20% super depurative sean
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feeding Young Birds   Feeding Young Birds Empty

Back to top Go down

Feeding Young Birds
Page 1 of 1