Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» King removes Patronage
Trouble with Foxes Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 7:21 pm

» Good Morning
Trouble with Foxes Emptyby David Today at 5:50 pm

» Weather today
Trouble with Foxes Emptyby David Today at 9:20 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Trouble with Foxes Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Trouble with Foxes Emptyby David Yesterday at 4:53 pm

» escaped birds return
Trouble with Foxes Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 10:42 am

» Scandalous .......
Trouble with Foxes Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
Trouble with Foxes Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
Trouble with Foxes Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Trouble with Foxes 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 79 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 79 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Trouble with Foxes Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Trouble with Foxes Vote_lcapTrouble with Foxes Voting_barTrouble with Foxes Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Trouble with Foxes Vote_lcapTrouble with Foxes Voting_barTrouble with Foxes Vote_rcap 
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222738 messages in 14003 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Trouble with Foxes Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Trouble with Foxes Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Trouble with Foxes

Go down 
+6
markevans
halcanada81
David
barnie
oldstrain
Boosey
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Boosey
Youngbird
Youngbird
Boosey

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes EmptySat Nov 07, 2020 9:45 am

Does anyone know anything that will deter foxes. I’m having a lot of trouble lately with them in my garden spooking my birds.
They piss and crap over everything at night, it bloody stinks.
They’re in my garden at all times of the day not just in the evening, they’re climbing skills are unreal they get over fences as if they wernt there. And they’re always running over the top of the loft.
I live in a built up closed in area in a mid terraced house and they run across everyone’s sheds all the time, I’ve got wire over the back of my sheds but as I said they are such skillfull climbers.
I have to be out there 100% of the time while the birds are out.
I was feeding my team of latebreds last night and I heard my wife screaming and running round the garden with a frying pan, the Fox was in the garden trying to get the kids Guinea pig, I ran out to scare it, and it dropped a plump chicken breast from its mouth, which I picked up and threw away, it wasn’t dustbin day, so obviously someone’s feeding them.
Bugger me, 10 minutes later it was back in the garden looking for the bloody chicken breast.
confused
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes EmptySat Nov 07, 2020 10:20 am

put some trellis on top the lofts around the perimeter or put a baton on each corner with a vertical overhang of about 1 metre above roof height and put up some chicken wire ....they also do not like the smell of human p1$$ ...a few years ago i did a job for a guy in cornwall who kept alot of chickens and ducks and he had buckets dotted about around the outside of a barn which was open fronted and he had ducks sitting on the floor ,i thought mr fox was sure to get them but they were fine due to the p1$$ lol! sorry to hear yer avin problems steve ,i would do the both m8 but the neighbours may not like the latter idea atb
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes EmptySat Nov 07, 2020 10:27 am

Bloody hell. Sounds like you got a real plague of them pal. Can the local authority not use pest control or is it charged to you?

I'd be tempted to get a suitable dog hard enough to live outside with free run of the garden, something like a rough coated lurcher with a bit of bull terrier or bedlington cross in it. As long as it came from a line of outside living working dogs and you had a kennel up off the cold ground and insulated, with the bed up on legs off the base of the kennel. A two way cat flap on it stop the wind and damp getting straight in.

Sounds like there's so many that even if you could shoot them theyre still going to turn up. Thing is a dog is long term committment.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes EmptySat Nov 07, 2020 10:32 am

i smell foxes fairy often around my loft, but never had much trouble with them ......i have wire secondary doors behind my main doors which are open all day for fresh air, ive often seen a fox walk along the front on the loft past the wire doors, stop for a minute and glance in, then carry on........didnt seem to bother the pigeons at all, maybe they were used to seeing them pass bye .....

ive seen foxes around for years, but just made sure they couldnt get into the loft ....not sure how i would deal with them if they were a problem though .

i havnt let my pigeons out for years since i last raced, so cats and foxes havn`t been a problem, in fact i always thought it would be a deterrent to keep rats away .

good luck boosey , i hope you get it sorted .
Back to top Go down
halcanada81
Hatchling
Hatchling

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes EmptySat Nov 07, 2020 2:45 pm

Small bowls of white vinegar. Move often.
Or go here.
https://upgardener.co.uk/best-fox-deterrents/
Back to top Go down
markevans
Youngbird
Youngbird
markevans

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes EmptySat Nov 07, 2020 4:46 pm

Make a fox trap Steve a long box with a sliding door at one end trap them then drowned them in the bath or take them somewhere far away put an electric fence around your garden like farmers use or get some one with a gun
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes EmptySat Nov 07, 2020 6:45 pm

Well known fact, foxes now are more venturesome because of shortage of their natural food (mainly rabbits).

The site Hal gave gives many options for controlling the fox entering your property, as does several others.

However, the only safe one is a dead one.

Many none animal keepers are actualy feeding the urban fox.

Personally I like the fox.

Had the odd visit but there was no way it could get anywhere near entering the pigeon loft because the entrance for the pgeons was made just big enough for the pigeons to go in and out at will, and nothing bigger.

Regards.

Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
halcanada81
Hatchling
Hatchling

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes EmptySat Nov 07, 2020 7:21 pm

Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes EmptySat Nov 07, 2020 8:08 pm

We had foxes when we first got the garden we have now and they are probably still about no doubt,  as we have a railway line right next to us and they roam up and down it . Anyway since we got the dogs we don't get them in our garden anymore . We have 2 cats   one next doors garden and one a few gardens up . So far not touched the birds , thank God... I know when we had them in our old allotment someone put anti freeze in cat food and it lasted minutes...how horrible was that but it goes on
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes EmptySat Nov 07, 2020 8:53 pm

peel bros wrote:
We had foxes when we first got the garden we have now and they are probably still about no doubt,  as we have a railway line right next to us and they roam up and down it . Anyway since we got the dogs we don't get them in our garden anymore . We have 2 cats   one next doors garden and one a few gardens up . So far not touched the birds , thank God... I know when we had them in our old allotment someone put anti freeze in cat food and it lasted minutes...how horrible was that but it goes on
The Rome thing Ray Wink Wink I suggest, when you have a problem/issue etc Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes anti freeze. People would be surprised at times how many foxes actually live in the suburbs type of thing. Scroungers of the highest order when looking for a feed for the family Wink Wink. Possums are my big bug bare here thou Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I'm affraid just like rats are to normal folk Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad.  cheers
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes EmptySun Nov 08, 2020 3:10 pm

Not ony foxes.

Had sparrowhawk twice in last few days, couple of feet from window both front and back gardens,

RSPB mouthing off in the papers about the loss of many of our song birds due to shortage of food.

Never mention that we have more raptors now than ever before many bred and released by them.

Just what do the idiots think the raptors live on ?.

The only reason they are in peoples back garden feeding stations is because they have killed all their normal prey.

The RSPB is a club for the Old Boys very similar to the RPRA.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes EmptySun Nov 08, 2020 6:47 pm

I couldn't personally hurt them myself but I can understand why people do if they are having constant trouble
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes EmptySun Nov 08, 2020 8:43 pm

It is not nice to kill anything for unreasonable reasons, it is the interpretation of unreasonable that is the problem and we do tend to look an different animals in different ways.

Cannot think of one animal that I would like not have been created, the only thing that upsets nature is MAN.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes EmptySun Nov 08, 2020 10:18 pm

peel bros wrote:
I couldn't personally hurt them myself but I can understand why people do if they are having constant trouble
Killing is simply part of human nature I suggest Ray Wink Wink for many thou Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes they live in a fairy land fantasy type state I'm affraid & because of it bounce bounce they consider killing has no place for what ever reason, unfortunately. cheers
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes EmptySun Nov 08, 2020 10:39 pm

Well I am a softie at heart
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes EmptyMon Nov 09, 2020 12:53 pm

Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes EmptyMon Nov 09, 2020 3:25 pm

Never heard of the peeing business, think my wife would not have approved.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes EmptyMon Nov 09, 2020 3:26 pm

Regards.
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes EmptyMon Nov 09, 2020 6:01 pm

I have actually have heard of this , not sure if it works though
Back to top Go down
Daz
Youngbird
Youngbird

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes EmptyMon Nov 09, 2020 6:50 pm

The Electric fence will work though. 3-4 bags of feed!
Now is the time of the Fox's howling, for a mate. Real noisy lot at that.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes EmptyMon Nov 09, 2020 7:28 pm

Daz wrote:
The Electric fence will  work though. 3-4 bags of feed!
Now is the time of the Fox's howling, for a mate. Real noisy lot at that.

i hear foxes regularly howling / barking, behind my house is large woodland, always been foxes there as long as i can remember, used to come in the garden with the babies before i built a wall round , they cant get in now, but i still hear them and see them in the street from time to time ...... cheers
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes EmptyMon Nov 09, 2020 7:29 pm

Lots where are but I have never them , but then again not sure what they sound like
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes EmptyMon Nov 09, 2020 10:50 pm

MISTY wrote:

Regards.
Smile Smile Don't have to tell them every thing etc Misty Wink Wink I suggest  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  What goes on behind the pigeon loft Smile Smile at times, just stays behind the pigeon loft as such  lol!  lol!  lol! Very Happy Very Happy. cheers & take care.
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes EmptyTue Nov 10, 2020 12:32 am

Knackered wrote:
MISTY wrote:

Regards.
Smile Smile Don't have to tell them every thing etc Misty Wink Wink I suggest  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  What goes on behind the pigeon loft Smile Smile at times, just stays behind the pigeon loft as such  lol!  lol!  lol! Very Happy Very Happy. cheers & take care.

Haha
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes EmptyTue Nov 10, 2020 7:00 am

Do not know about behind pigeons lofts Knackered, but could right a book about what went on behind the air raid shelters during the war.

Think make hay whilst the sun shines.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Trouble with Foxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trouble with Foxes   Trouble with Foxes Empty

Back to top Go down

Trouble with Foxes
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next