Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Good Morning
Training young birds Emptyby George & Morgan Today at 4:12 pm

» Weather today
Training young birds Emptyby David Today at 9:20 am

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Training young birds Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
Training young birds Emptyby David Yesterday at 4:53 pm

» escaped birds return
Training young birds Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 10:42 am

» Scandalous .......
Training young birds Emptyby Knackered Sun May 05, 2024 7:31 am

» yb national winner
Training young birds Emptyby George & Morgan Sat May 04, 2024 9:30 am

» good luck weekend
Training young birds Emptyby Knackered Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Training young birds Emptyby Knackered Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Training young birds 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 96 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 96 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Training young birds Resise10
Top posting users this week
David
Training young birds Vote_lcapTraining young birds Voting_barTraining young birds Vote_rcap 
George & Morgan
Training young birds Vote_lcapTraining young birds Voting_barTraining young birds Vote_rcap 
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1297 registered users
The newest registered user is tharunjohar50

Our users have posted a total of 222736 messages in 14002 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Training young birds Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Training young birds Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Training young birds

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

Training young birds Empty
PostSubject: Training young birds   Training young birds EmptyTue Jul 13, 2021 1:23 pm

These are bone idle, won't exercise, try to make them and they just drop on house tops and sit for hours picking s*** off the tiles. Nearly cleared the lot into the bin on a few occasions. Still time yet.

So into the baskets each morning regardless of weather unless it is really hammering down with rain or thick fog. But they've been twice in low grey cloud with no breaks in the sky and this morning in really low cloud and drizzle. Be going tonight too, hopefully bit further down the road. Not messing about picking fine days, what's left so be it. Racing in less than 3 weeks, they get the best of everything and well cared for so expect them pulling their weight.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Training young birds   Training young birds EmptyTue Jul 13, 2021 6:26 pm

mine did this colin, not sure if you had them on dark, but mine would be flying nicely, then a week after they went on the dark they didnt want to fly .......also i found if i kept them down too long when they first started going out, they got into the routine of not flying, and walking round the garden ........also if they are pairing up or chasing the hens they dont want to fly.

also hungry birds wont fly, or fat birds wont fly .

but im sure you already know all that Razz Razz Very Happy
Back to top Go down
halcanada81
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Training young birds   Training young birds EmptyTue Jul 13, 2021 7:41 pm

Mine were always on natural light until longest day of year. Then kept on those hours until racing finished. Million ways to train. One better than the other? I do not know. Open loft worked for me. Not possible for many. 20 miles tosses, couple then racing.
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: Training young birds   Training young birds EmptyTue Jul 13, 2021 7:46 pm

No darkness, just been left natural but they aren't falling to pieces in the moult so still well feathered, got me stumped. Usually once YB are batched up and going I had no bother, in fact getting them down after an hour or so was the problem but this lot are all on borrowed time right now Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
halcanada81
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Training young birds   Training young birds EmptyTue Jul 13, 2021 7:50 pm

Has me beat.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Training young birds   Training young birds EmptyTue Jul 13, 2021 8:21 pm

Always kept things natural, open loft very little and sometimes no training.

However, there is something amiss with all the  birds me thinks  and nature as a whole and nothing is the same or can be taken as granted as in days gone bye.

Think every fancier has  problems at the present time and not of their making.

Although still miss my old feathered friends I am glad I had them at the time I did and feel sorry for the present day fanciers along with their feathered friends.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
http://albertrosbottom35@outlook.com
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Training young birds   Training young birds EmptyTue Jul 13, 2021 10:49 pm

got to be something youve done different colin, have you changed corn, or amount of corn .....feeding / exercising at different times maybe ? have you had them in longer due to bad weather ...?

are they pairing up ...? ive found ybs can get lazy, and once they do its a job on to get them going again .
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: Training young birds   Training young birds EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 6:26 am

Gone in loft this morning and full blown YB sickness now, never been mixed in with other pigeons or any nighted out. They'll have to get on with it, locked up for a week and clean water each day, handful of barley twice a day.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Training young birds   Training young birds EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 9:00 am

Not attempting to tell a fellow fancier new tricks barnie, get some garlic in the water. 

Not the commercial rubbish, the cloves.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Training young birds   Training young birds EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 9:22 am

avidress colin and depurative and watch for the secondary ailments ,its been on them for a few days already i would think if they been acting sluggish and not listening or exercising well ,avidress is made of organic acids,oregano and cinammon it really is a good product ,hope its only a mild dose but its getting warmer and thats when it seems to break out ,i never ever did feed to heavy with my ybs once they were up and running atb
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Training young birds   Training young birds EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 9:48 am

Funny I thing never ever had YBS.

Nor any other ailments of consequence, think prevention far better than a load of commercial rubbish. always said, keep pigeons in clinical conditions, or any animal and you will always have health problems.

They will inherit from the parents any immunity built up, if that is lost you cannot replace it with commercial rubbish.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: Training young birds   Training young birds EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 10:47 am

Yes Darren light feeds only, secondary infections do the damage, got them on 4 in 1 see what happens.

Misty I'm sure Garlic has it's qualities but not confident it can tackle something like YBSickness although perhaps through prolonged use it can be a barrier to infections in the first instance?
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Training young birds   Training young birds EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 11:15 am

Sincerely hope it works out barnie, would make me very upset to
have such a problem and in particular when you obviously do what you think 
is the very best for them.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Training young birds   Training young birds EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 12:24 pm

sorry to hear this colin, its not nice when they get ill ..........im sure youll get it under control.

it makes you wonder how they catch it, when they havnt been in contact with other birds outside your loft.......is it airbourne, or is it stress ?
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Training young birds   Training young birds EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 5:07 pm

David wrote:
sorry to hear this colin, its not nice when they get ill ..........im sure youll get it under control.

it makes you wonder how they catch it, when they havnt been in contact with other birds outside your loft.......is it airbourne, or is it stress ?
Think it is passed on from the parents, a weakness that allows it to manifest its self when they get the slightest stress.

Like many others, canker etc;

Many fanciers never get the problem, others every year.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Training young birds   Training young birds EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 6:07 pm

i think you could be right misty, or at least a contributing factor ......ive heard of some fanciers getting it straight from the nest when weaned , so it could be passed on from the parents like you say .
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Training young birds   Training young birds EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 6:23 pm

barnie wrote:
Yes Darren light feeds only, secondary infections do the damage, got them on 4 in 1  see what happens.

Misty I'm sure Garlic has it's qualities but not confident it can tackle something like YBSickness although perhaps through prolonged use it can be a barrier to infections in the first instance?

good call colin ,hope they turn around sharpish for you atb
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Training young birds   Training young birds EmptyThu Jul 15, 2021 7:03 pm

Barnie, did the parents of your young birds have YBS ?.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: Training young birds   Training young birds EmptyThu Jul 15, 2021 7:40 pm

MISTY wrote:
Barnie, did the parents of your young birds have YBS ?.

Regards.

Some did but strangely the ones who's parents 100% didn't have YBS are the worst affected. These are hunched up sick as dogs, gunge for droppings.

Some are starting to turn the corner, only 2 or 3 at the moment, but they are scrapping and spinning around the drinker, acting a bit feistier but the majority look sick of their lives.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Training young birds   Training young birds EmptyThu Jul 15, 2021 8:14 pm

colin i read an article about yb sickness and its actually adeno/e-coli virus and was told not to feed barley at this time as the sugar in the barley increases the e-coli and depurative was a better way to go ,i dont know how much truth is in it but for me to have taken note of that it would have come from a good source ,also popping 2 charcoal tablets daily down the throat of the ybs for 3 days helps alot ,the charcoal tablets can be sourced at any chemist i even give them to my dog at times when she has gastric problems ...atb
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: Training young birds   Training young birds EmptyThu Jul 15, 2021 10:15 pm

Thanks Darren, all birds get this on corn twice a week Darren, charcoal another 2 full days on the 4 in 1 then they'll get Kefir on the corn with charcoal stuck to it for 3 days. This powdered stuff works out real cheap one tub lasts nearly a year here.
Back to top Go down
oldstrain
Oldbird
Oldbird
oldstrain

PostSubject: Re: Training young birds   Training young birds EmptyFri Jul 16, 2021 8:09 am

yer on the ball colin Basketball hope they start to turn around for you over the next few days ...funny how it dont seem to effect them all eh atb
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Training young birds   Training young birds EmptyFri Jul 16, 2021 2:52 pm

oldstrain wrote:
colin i read an article about yb sickness and its actually adeno/e-coli virus and was told not to feed barley at this time as the sugar in the barley increases the e-coli and depurative was a better way to go ,i dont know how much truth is in it but for me to have taken note of that it would have come from a good source ,also popping 2 charcoal tablets daily down the throat of the ybs for 3 days helps alot ,the charcoal tablets can be sourced at any chemist i even give them to my dog at times when she has gastric problems ...atb
Can remember miners using the slack and washings from the coal as minerals, same as using charcoal, always said black minerals were mainly from coal.

Just hope something works after all the effort you have put in.

What annoy me more than anything most of the latter day problems in our feathered friends have arisen by bad practices to keep unhealthy pigeons that cost a fortune alive to breed their  like.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
halcanada81
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Training young birds   Training young birds EmptyFri Jul 16, 2021 3:00 pm

Never encountered YBS. Again, I beleive birds with a strong immune system naturally overcome most ailments. Hence was usually open loft and minimal cleaning as you may have seen from some of the pics posted.
Back to top Go down
MISTY
Oldbird
Oldbird

PostSubject: Re: Training young birds   Training young birds EmptyFri Jul 16, 2021 4:38 pm

halcanada81 wrote:
Never encountered YBS. Again, I beleive birds with a strong immune system naturally overcome most ailments. Hence was usually open loft and minimal cleaning as you may have seen from some of the pics posted.
Agree entirely Hal.

Said many times clinical conditions worst thing out for promoting and maintaining health problems, same with humans children the pale faced protected offspring of the rich have more problems health wise than the street urchins, pale faced and end up drug addicts mainly.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Training young birds   Training young birds Empty

Back to top Go down

Training young birds
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next