Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
how many members use droppers Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 7:23 pm

» York Road & District Results 2024
how many members use droppers Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 7:13 pm

» Good Morning
how many members use droppers Emptyby George & Morgan Yesterday at 5:15 pm

» escaped birds return
how many members use droppers Emptyby David Yesterday at 1:51 pm

» good luck weekend
how many members use droppers Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 9:16 am

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
how many members use droppers Emptyby Knackered Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 pm

» Scandalous .......
how many members use droppers Emptyby Knackered Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
how many members use droppers Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
how many members use droppers Emptyby Knackered Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:41 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) how many members use droppers 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 93 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 93 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.how many members use droppers Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
how many members use droppers Vote_lcaphow many members use droppers Voting_barhow many members use droppers Vote_rcap 
David
how many members use droppers Vote_lcaphow many members use droppers Voting_barhow many members use droppers Vote_rcap 
Knackered
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222679 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
how many members use droppers Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
how many members use droppers Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

how many members use droppers

Go down 
+6
fred holbard
Lightning
peel bros
David
steve1952
phil411
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
phil411
Youngbird
Youngbird
phil411

how many members use droppers Empty
PostSubject: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 11:15 pm

hi all just to ask how many members use dropper and do u find that they help or a waste of time as i have 2 stories .. and what breed do u use ...

just a was breeding birmingham rollers as droppers untill over day as philip let out the wrong hen and we found her today killed by the fox as he tryed to call her back in and wouldnt come in so he left her out so im now floating her eggs with a old hen from a guy by me ....
Back to top Go down
steve1952
Youngbird
Youngbird
steve1952

PostSubject: Re: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 11:28 pm

know some use fantails whites but i havent used any
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 1:46 am

never used droppers as such phil, sometimes had birds from the same section who didnt go to the race outpecking inthe garden........but always thought it risky as they can sometimes cause more harm than good. alien
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 7:28 am

you must use trappers on race days lads,i tried without them and its no good,i only have one now as mine got pinched but i could,nt do without it.sorry training as well to get them used to them
Back to top Go down
Lightning
Hatchling
Hatchling
Lightning

PostSubject: Re: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 5:57 pm

we use trappers on race days, we just use a couple of cut down hens (actually have one with a busted wing from a hawk strike and she can flutter onto board ok

if you time it right it will help get them down, time it wrong and you will spook the bird which may have been coming straight in

We used to have an old pied hen years ago, she was fantastic - we would let her go at the top of the garden and she would clap all the way through the doors, and most times the cocks would follow her in. cheers
Back to top Go down
fred holbard
Hatchling
Hatchling
fred holbard

PostSubject: Re: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 2:34 pm

You can't beat a good flirt bird, I think it helps although I only use one for babies
Back to top Go down
http://www.eliteoffsetprinters.co.uk
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 9:00 pm

cant do with out my half fantail half racer white trapper hen
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 10:19 pm

when you have a flirt bird does it hae to be kept very hungry ? what happens if it flies up when a racer comes home ? does it live with the racers and if so does it bring them down too early when exercising around home ?

not sure if i like the idea of flirts, its ok if the racers are used to it but if they are used to just trapping without isnt that ok ?
Back to top Go down
fred holbard
Hatchling
Hatchling
fred holbard

PostSubject: Re: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 10:40 pm

David, I keep mine fairly tight on grub, they are tipplers/rollers, I have a fantail hen that I keep in a basket on race days, I hold her just before the youngsters are due, I have a couple walking about the decking in front of the shed, as soon as I see the first youngsters home, I let the fantail go, this usually brings them down, as pigeons are gregarious they want to get with the others, I've always said my flirts have won me many races lol!
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 10:48 pm

ah right, so fred would you say the flirt is a neccessity for trapping from races and do you think your birds wouldnt trap good enough to win if you didnt use a flirt....? i do see the logic in a flirt because if they are walking around the loft when the racers are due home it creats a calm safe atmosphere and would encourage the racer to land better.....do you have the flirt out when the racers are sent training to make it normal for when they come home ?
Back to top Go down
fred holbard
Hatchling
Hatchling
fred holbard

PostSubject: Re: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 10:57 pm

yes I leave them out, when they're training or out flying, they get used to them and are an intricate part of the team, and because the tipplers are so fond, the youngsters like to pair to them
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 11:26 pm

so really the tipplers help to creat calm in the loft and a happy environment..........? when you let the birds out for exercise do you catch the tipplers ?

fred, do you flag your birds at exercise......? if so do you get problems with them landing on the house roofs and if so how do you solve this problem....?
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 11:32 pm

I agree witth you mark get it wrong and the race is lost Mad
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 11:33 pm

I will agree with fred always best to have them and a little hungary as soon as you throw corn they are there after it
Back to top Go down
dark_chequer
Hatchling
Hatchling
dark_chequer

PostSubject: Re: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 6:05 am

Ive seen Davey use them. But ive never used them. But i will be this year Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
steve1952
Youngbird
Youngbird
steve1952

PostSubject: Re: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 6:53 am

going to try a fantail
Back to top Go down
fred holbard
Hatchling
Hatchling
fred holbard

PostSubject: Re: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 7:55 am

Mainly when the youngsters are flying strong the youngsters go out with such vigour, the flirts don't want to know and stay in the shed, I've got a corridor so I just shut the internal door.

You need calm in the loft, and yes the flirts do create this, a lot of it is confidence in the environment, ie if you get a cat/fox/bop about round the loft the youngsters don't want to land, the flirts combat this

Yes I flag my birds sometimes when needed, its just to get them in a routine, once they are flying as long as you want, then you can stop, I never needed to do it last year, as my youngsters were running for a couple of hours in the summer
Back to top Go down
peel bros
Oldbird
Oldbird
peel bros

PostSubject: Re: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 8:48 am

when i first used trappers i was a bit unsure,as mine was a hen and thought that the cocks returning from a race would be distracted by it but no they are not,when you think about it a cock racing home for his hen should only be interested in going straight in the loft and most of the time this is the case,unless they have had a hard race and they hit the garden first
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 1:36 pm

yes only use mine for inland races dont use her for channel not needed
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 11:13 pm

interesting point there ray, is it wise to use a flirt when racing widowhood.....? never thought about it untill you said, but as we all know a widowhood cock is motivated by the need to mate with their hen i would emagine.....??? so when he lands and sees another hen does he not want to chase and mate with her.....?
ive heard fanciers say that when their w/hood cocks are on form when they are exercising they can fly after any other pigeon they see in the sky...... scratch
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 11:18 pm

david when i let go of my trapper hen she goes straight through the trap and into the loft and the cock follows
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 11:21 pm

ah right ian, but the flirt needs to be well trained or hungry then.....?
Back to top Go down
IANYOUNG
Oldbird
Oldbird
IANYOUNG

PostSubject: Re: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 11:22 pm

yes david they do
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 11:33 pm

weve never used a flirt as such, but we have used birds which havnt gone to the race to walk around the garden to help trap....... scratch
Back to top Go down
phil411
Youngbird
Youngbird
phil411

PostSubject: Re: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 11:49 pm

well ive been gifed 2 fantails wich have been uesed as droppers/trappers and ive been trying it out with a few birds wich i have settled wich are L/B and it seems to be ok with them but like i say whats yb going to be like .... nightmear
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how many members use droppers   how many members use droppers Empty

Back to top Go down

how many members use droppers
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next