Forum for Pigeon Fanciers

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Report a StrayReport a Stray  Face BookFace Book  Jack Barkel Website.Jack Barkel Website.  Friendslofts WebsiteFriendslofts Website  Velocity CalculatorVelocity Calculator  Portal 2Portal 2  ebayebay  
Latest topics
» Weather today
Finding a pigeon loft that is small? Emptyby Knackered Today at 11:04 pm

» 2 ybs gifted out to-day
Finding a pigeon loft that is small? Emptyby Knackered Today at 10:49 pm

» Good Morning
Finding a pigeon loft that is small? Emptyby Knackered Today at 10:34 pm

» good luck weekend
Finding a pigeon loft that is small? Emptyby Knackered Today at 10:30 pm

» escaped birds return
Finding a pigeon loft that is small? Emptyby Knackered Today at 10:24 pm

» Scandalous .......
Finding a pigeon loft that is small? Emptyby Knackered Today at 12:23 am

» RPRA Race Program
Finding a pigeon loft that is small? Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:49 pm

» RPRA Rule Book
Finding a pigeon loft that is small? Emptyby Knackered Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Leeds & District Amalgamation
Finding a pigeon loft that is small? Emptyby David Yesterday at 11:25 pm

Countrywide Corns
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate Bird takes 44th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final.The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain)
Forum Syndicate 2019
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate also takes 100th Place, in the 2019 RPRA One Loft Final. The Bird is Frans Zwol Bloodline, Bred and supplied by Darren Palmer (Oldstrain) Finding a pigeon loft that is small? 20497337-174028
Who is online?
In total there are 104 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 103 Guests :: 2 Bots

Knackered

Most users ever online was 833 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Forum Syndicate 2017
Pigeon World Syndicate Bird takes 81st Place in the 2017 Final Race, The Bird is Dia Evans Bloodlines and was Bred and supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.
R.P.R.A Certificate.
Pigeon World Forum Syndicate take 81st Place in the 2017 R.P.R.A. Final, with a Pigeon Bred and Supplied by Tumley Lofts Stud.Finding a pigeon loft that is small? Resise10
Top posting users this week
George & Morgan
Finding a pigeon loft that is small? Vote_lcapFinding a pigeon loft that is small? Voting_barFinding a pigeon loft that is small? Vote_rcap 
David
Finding a pigeon loft that is small? Vote_lcapFinding a pigeon loft that is small? Voting_barFinding a pigeon loft that is small? Vote_rcap 
Knackered
oldstrain
barnie
Similar topics
Statistics
We have 1296 registered users
The newest registered user is nelsa19ira

Our users have posted a total of 222602 messages in 14001 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Oldstrain/Darren`s Winner of winners. 2012.
Finding a pigeon loft that is small? Winnerofwin
From Fed Topper to Master Chef
Finding a pigeon loft that is small? Raypeel-1The N.E.H.U race from Melton Mowbray 21/4/2012 was won by Peel bros of South Shields, they took 1st club 1st fed, also taking 2nd and 4th club and 15 of the 25 birds clocked in the club......well done Peel brothers.
Top posters
David
oldstrain
Don Webb
Knackered
peel bros
IANYOUNG
MISTY
George & Morgan
Gaz b
birdy2011

Finding a pigeon loft that is small?

Go down 
+8
AndyH912
barnie
birdy2011
racing novice
Knackered
David
sj lofts
jellams
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jellams
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

Finding a pigeon loft that is small? Empty
PostSubject: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 9:50 pm

Hi i'm new here.

I have recently "adopted" a racing pigeon flying from Guernsey. I contacted the owner and they said they didn't want. From this moment, I have been interested in the sport and would like to start my loft. I would like to start out small and buy a new/second hand small loft but cant find any nearby or just too expensive £1000+. Any help on finding a loft and possibly in the future some young pigeons.

I live just outside Milton Keynes in a village called Sherington.

Many Thanks
Back to top Go down
sj lofts
Hatchling
Hatchling
sj lofts

PostSubject: Re: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 9:59 pm

hi m8 you looked on ebay there was some nice cheep lofts ur way on there m8 have a look cheers steve all the best with ur new found hobby Wink 
Back to top Go down
http://www.stafvanreet.com/AboutUs.html
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 10:02 pm

hi and welcome to the site.......easiest way is to buy a cheap or second hand garden shed, look for one near where you are on ebay theres usually a few on there.
Back to top Go down
jellams
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 10:09 pm

Thanks for the replies

Looked on ebay i can only find large lofts. The idea of converting a shed sounds good. But i have read that you need proper ventilation, perches, traps ect how do I this? Also while i'm here the pigeon that got lost that i have adpoted will it come back to my loft?

Thanks for the advice
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 11:00 pm

jellams wrote:
Thanks for the replies

Looked on ebay i can only find large lofts. The idea of converting a shed sounds good. But i have read that you need proper ventilation, perches, traps ect how do I this? Also while i'm here the pigeon that got lost that i have adpoted will it come back to my loft?

Thanks for the advice
Jellams, "Welcome to our site" the stage your at with your first pigeon etc Smile Smile requires only a very simple construction for a loft/shed "Nothing fancy" that can all come later down the track. Now !!!!, if you wish for the bird to stay there, I would suggest you find it a mate of the opposite sex & that hopefully, will bond them both to what you have there for a loft. One hopes now Smile Smile , you find much enjoyment in your new venture etc with your bird/birds. cheers
Back to top Go down
jellams
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 11:06 pm

So converting an old shed should be ok to start with? Also does this mate have to be the same age, breed ect and where is best to get one. In the future i would like to race pigeons and i understand that a lost pigeon wont have good genes?

Thanks for your help!!! Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Knackered
Oldbird
Oldbird
Knackered

PostSubject: Re: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 2:54 am

jellams wrote:
So converting an old shed should be ok to start with? Also does this mate have to be the same age, breed ect and where is best to get one. In the future i would like to race pigeons and i understand that a lost pigeon wont have good genes?

Thanks for your help!!! Very Happy 
To the first part of your query Jellams Smile Smile  the answer is Yes !!!!!!!. Now !!!!! to the last part thou lol! lol! lol!  the answer is No !!!!! & to prove my point, I have 2 in my stock loft similar to your one etc, & I've been more than happy with them.
PS someone else here Smile Smile  can answer your middle queries. cheers 
Back to top Go down
racing novice
Chipping
Chipping

PostSubject: Re: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 8:09 am

Hi, jellams, like you im new to the sport and found a ready made loft too expensive so i have converted 2 6x4 sheds i got locally very cheap. i have put them togetherand extended out the fronts giving me a 12x6 loft, then i made some v perches with some old 4x1 inch timber i had left over from making some gates a while back after screwing them together i planed the points flat, nest boxes i made from left over loft boards. Then i bought 10 plastic widowhood fronts on ebay for £12.00 and 10 plastic v perches for £7.50 and a set of bob wires for £10.00.It doesnt have to be expensive to start, all this as come in at less than£120. You can get all the info and advice you need off this forum which i have found to be invaluable. And if you are lucky like me some one local to you might help out with some young birds for free to get you started, there are a lot of decent people on here willing to give there advice on any question you may have about the sport also reading back through older posts is very interesting and informative, anyway enjoy the site and your pigeon.
Back to top Go down
jellams
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 8:22 am

Thanks for all the advice I think getting a shed and converting it is best. But now I need to find a mate for my pigeon, does anyone know where i can find one?? Smile 
Back to top Go down
David
Oldbird
Oldbird
David

PostSubject: Re: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 9:25 am

ive 4 ybs free ready in about 6 days if anyones interested........would just need collecting or a courrier sending for them.
Back to top Go down
birdy2011
Oldbird
Oldbird
birdy2011

PostSubject: Re: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 10:17 am

Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 11:49 am

Keep a look out over next few months as end of season people will be packing in and selling up, you should get fixed up with a shed and maybe even birds. (Get in touch with David for those 4 YB's he just put up).I know you're looking for a small loft/shed but I'd say go for the largest you got room for or can comfortably afford because if you get into pigeons I guarantee you'll end up extending and extending and extending and...........
Back to top Go down
AndyH912
Chipping
Chipping
AndyH912

PostSubject: Re: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 1:51 pm

I agree with Barnie. I am new to the sport and I was advise the same. I have 3 sections but now wish I had 4!! Once you get hooked you might want to consider 4 sections because it is preferable to keep them all separate.

1 x Race\Old Birds
1 x Widowhood Hens
1 x Stock Birds
1 x Young birds
Back to top Go down
http://www.stambridgepfc.co.uk
jellams
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 2:05 pm

Hahaha I would love to have four sections if i knew what all the different birds would do
Race\Old Birds, Widowhood Hens, Stock Birds, Young birds Razz
Back to top Go down
AndyH912
Chipping
Chipping
AndyH912

PostSubject: Re: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 2:46 pm

As I understand it....!!!!!

You race your birds with motivation be it food or sex or a combination I guess. They say you get the best results racing using a widow hood system. In basic terms you keep all your cock race\ Old (pigeons over 1 year old) birds in one section separate from the hens, hence the separate section. then on basketing the hens are let in to the cocks. on race day the cocks race home to the hens who are still in the cock section. The hens are put back in there own section.

Usually you put the cock and hens about 2 months before the racing starts so they can produce your young birds. these are then taken away from the parents and put in a separate section to train ready for racing later in the year.

A stock section normally houses your best birds which you don't race anymore as they are to valuable in breading your winners.

I am sure the others here can elaborate as I am like you just trying to learn the sport
Back to top Go down
http://www.stambridgepfc.co.uk
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 2:50 pm

barnie wrote:
Keep a look out over next few months as end of season people will be packing in and selling up, you should get fixed up with a shed and maybe even birds. (Get in touch with David for those 4 YB's he just put up).I know you're looking for a small loft/shed but I'd say go for the largest you got room for or can comfortably afford because if you get into pigeons I guarantee you'll end up extending and extending and extending and...........
Will second that Barnie
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 2:53 pm

David wrote:
hi and welcome to the site.......easiest way is to buy a cheap or second hand garden shed, look for one near where you are on ebay theres usually a few on there.
Will second that also David
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 2:53 pm

David wrote:
Will second that also David
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 2:57 pm

You could also go to your local newsagents and order The British Homing World this is a weekly book which will cost you 80p that will allow you a little in site to this sport of racing pigeons plus there are a lot of advertises were pigeon accessories are sold it comes out every week on a Friday
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 2:59 pm

Forgot to say welcome to the site and hope you enjoy and have input

If you have any questions just make a post and there are plenty if members who will point you in the right directions
Back to top Go down
jellams
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 3:16 pm

Thanks Don for the welcome!

I am still undecided on getting a loft, as I have said i have lost pigeon. I know from all the web searching that it will still instinctively want to go back to its loft when i let fly around the loft for exercise. The owner doesn't want it and wasn't very convincing on whether he would neck it. From the advice the others have given me, a mate should attract to the loft i am proposing and not go back to a probable death. The pigeon I have is so tame it just walks around the floor and I am worried if it flies off and then comes back and walks on the floor a cat will defiantly have it. So I have read that an aviary might be necessary. I would really like to allow it to fly but would need some reassurance. You seem to have some good experience so any suggestions on loft or aviary?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Don Webb
Oldbird
Oldbird
Don Webb

PostSubject: Re: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 5:30 pm

To be honest mate get a 6x4 garden shed then fit an aviary to it mate that will do the trick get you started.
Back to top Go down
jellams
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 5:46 pm

That sounds like a good compromise, what birds should i start of with, should I put the shed into sections?
Back to top Go down
barnie
Youngbird
Youngbird
barnie

PostSubject: Re: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 5:46 pm

jellams i can see you're really starting to look into pigeons quickly and getting the bug. Also welcome to the site and i know you'll get plenty help and info from the members on here.
One idea to consider is maybe finding someone local to you who would let you come along, even help him out and see exactly what's involved. Get a firm understanding of the highs and lows, time and dedication 365 days a year, costs in time and money and everything else involved in the sport. Not trying to put you off in any way but a lot of people come into pigeons unaware of these things, and after spending considerable time and money become disillusioned just as quickly and end up chucking it. Really hope you get started though as the sport needs new members, good luck with getting a shed or loft. Also look out on ebay etc for pigeon DVDs.
Like you I started with a 7 x 5 ft garden shed which eventually spread to a 78 ft loft plus aviaries.
Now i'm back to a 6 x 4 shed and 2 pairs but when I find a different property I think that will change.
Back to top Go down
jellams
In egg (newbie)
In egg (newbie)

PostSubject: Re: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 5:57 pm

I think thats a good idea to go and see someone, and also the dvd. But I have been put into an unusual situation as i have been landed with the lost pigeon, i really dont want to keep it an a dog kennel for any longer than i have (5 days), but its not a case of finding a new home for it i would quite like to take up the sport anyway its just brought it upon me rather quickly. Smile 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finding a pigeon loft that is small?   Finding a pigeon loft that is small? Empty

Back to top Go down

Finding a pigeon loft that is small?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next